This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

CARTE BLANCHE

2121 replies to this topic

Poll: Carte Blanche

Do you like the title and UK cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you like the US cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1651 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

Oh poppet.

And luckily a successful life is not predicated on a CBn reputation system.

#1652 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

Okay. Off to the coffee shop with this then...

I don't usually take reputation away from people. Not unless they say something blithely stupid. But you posted a picture of Snooki!

Ah, man, it was a joke! And a pretty funny one, I thought. ;)

My beautiful reputation ranking besmirched. :( Damn you, Snooki!!!

Hey, it gave me the biggest laugh I had all day (I added some rep in for you on that post :) )

#1653 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

Hey...Snooki could make a great Bond villainess. Team her with Amy Winehouse and we'd have a new Bambi and Thumper. Neither of them get to have sex with Bond, but they could try to kill him with their hair alone.

Just a thought.

:P

I dress suit and tie for either dinner out or taking a journey. Hey, most days of the week I'm a jeans and pullover sort of guy. If I'm getting on a plane or train though, I dress for it. That's the way I was raised.

Dressing-up for travel - classic. :tup:

I'd do that either, but even my mom would tell me "You're insane! You're not going suited just for traveling" :rolleyes:

Well, I'd never insult anyone's Mum, but...What's her problem with seeing her son taking pride in his style?

No offense towards your mother.

Carry on lad! ;)

#1654 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

"I dress suit and tie for either dinner out or taking a journey. Hey, most days of the week I'm a jeans and pullover sort of guy. If I'm getting on a plane or train though, I dress for it. That's the way I was raised."

I think that is admirable. Too many people dress casual now days. I think I would have thrived in the 1920's. I have a grungy sort of dress style but when I travel (I wear a tie towards the end and sometimes at the beginning of a plane trip to appear respectable when passing through customs) and go to a restaurant I always wear trousers and a dress shirt tucked in.

Shame on anyone who feel ashamed to read Bond! I want everyone to know that Ian Fleming is one of my idols. The literary and certain cinematic James Bond's are cool.

I have warmed to the UK cover art (the American version is terrible). I was always a fan of its elegance but I like how subtle it is. I love how it isn't clichéd coupled with the fact that it isn't instantly recognisable as a Bond book.

Edited by Jack Spang, 22 January 2011 - 10:28 PM.

#1655 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:48 PM

What on Earth is 'Snooki'?

#1656 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:54 AM

"I dress suit and tie for either dinner out or taking a journey. Hey, most days of the week I'm a jeans and pullover sort of guy. If I'm getting on a plane or train though, I dress for it. That's the way I was raised."

I think that is admirable. Too many people dress casual now days. I think I would have thrived in the 1920's. I have a grungy sort of dress style but when I travel (I wear a tie towards the end and sometimes at the beginning of a plane trip to appear respectable when passing through customs) and go to a restaurant I always wear trousers and a dress shirt tucked in.

Shame on anyone who feel ashamed to read Bond! I want everyone to know that Ian Fleming is one of my idols. The literary and certain cinematic James Bond's are cool.

I have warmed to the UK cover art (the American version is terrible). I was always a fan of its elegance but I like how subtle it is. I love how it isn't clichéd coupled with the fact that it isn't instantly recognisable as a Bond book.

Well bloody said :tup: :tup:

#1657 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

What on Earth is 'Snooki'?

Isn't he that dog in the funny pages who appears between Garfield and Dilbert?

#1658 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

Hey...Snooki could make a great Bond villainess. Team her with Amy Winehouse and we'd have a new Bambi and Thumper. Neither of them get to have sex with Bond, but they could try to kill him with their hair alone.

Just a thought.

:P

I dress suit and tie for either dinner out or taking a journey. Hey, most days of the week I'm a jeans and pullover sort of guy. If I'm getting on a plane or train though, I dress for it. That's the way I was raised.

Dressing-up for travel - classic. :tup:

I'd do that either, but even my mom would tell me "You're insane! You're not going suited just for traveling" :rolleyes:

Well, I'd never insult anyone's Mum, but...What's her problem with seeing her son taking pride in his style?

No offense towards your mother.

Carry on lad! ;)

I really don't know. She might be afraid of seeing me as ridiculous. But, I go suited to marriages, important parties, job interviews, etc. And in those cases, she doesn't care.

#1659 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:22 AM

To all those happy to read Bond anywhere, regardless - Santa, terminus, Brycey - like myself :tup:

Fo those who aren't and would appear embarrassed about their interest in Bond and Ian Fleming, perhaps you should move on from Bond and get a more intellectual, socially acceptable author to follow.

Okay. Off to the coffee shop with this then...

Posted Image

Based on the cover, this is a high-brow book for the discerning reader.

Good one, John!

#1660 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:12 AM

Oh poppet.

Oh limey poof.

#1661 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:15 AM

Oh poppet.

Oh limey poof.

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

Carte blanche doesn't apply here.

#1662 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

Really. I must protest.

I am of a shy and retiring nature, and find myself ill equpped to deal with the slings and arrows from our illustrious leaders; these very same leaders who, in time, could also be our future captains of industry.

To receive such commentary from the unwashed is one thing; to receive them from those steeped in CBn history and wearing badges of honour and rank is entirely another.

I need to rest now.

#1663 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

Really. I must protest.

I am of a shy and retiring nature, and find myself ill equpped to deal with the slings and arrows from our illustrious leaders; these very same leaders who, in time, could also be our future captains of industry.

To receive such commentary from the unwashed is one thing; to receive them from those steeped in CBn history and wearing badges of honour and rank is entirely another.

I need to rest now.

If you're allowed to continuously call me a "poppet" then surely I am within my right to call you a "limey poof" (an accurate description based on the little I know about you)?

I don't know where you've been for the past 3 years but my so-called "badges of honour and rank" from CBn were rescinded long ago therefore I speak to you today as a member of the rank and file, not as a member of the CBn Team.

Not only are you a condescending cretin but you continue to cower behind the 'Simon' username whereas nearly a dozen members of CBn have actually met me in real life. I advise you to leave the dark and dank confines of your mum's basement (or cellar as you Brits like to say) and get some fresh air. Perhaps then you'll cease to be the annoying prick that we've all come to know? We can only hope.

In other words, stop calling me a "poppet" and I'll try to forget you even exist. If we can do that, I have a feeling the CommanderBond.net Forums will become a much more pleasant place.

#1664 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

Poppet is no warrant for limey poof, sweetpea.

#1665 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

Really. I must protest.

I need to rest now.

If you're allowed to continuously call me a "poppet" then surely I am within my right to call you a "limey poof" (an accurate description based on the little I know about you)?

I don't know where you've been for the past 3 years but my so-called "badges of honour and rank" from CBn were rescinded long ago therefore I speak to you today as a member of the rank and file, not as a member of the CBn Team.

Not only are you a condescending cretin but you continue to cower behind the 'Simon' username whereas nearly a dozen members of CBn have actually met me in real life. I advise you to leave the dark and dank confines of your mum's basement (or cellar as you Brits like to say) and get some fresh air. Perhaps then you'll cease to be the annoying prick that we've all come to know? We can only hope.

In other words, stop calling me a "poppet" and I'll try to forget you even exist. If we can do that, I have a feeling the CommanderBond.net Forums will become a much more pleasant place.

Why so angry, scrumblenumpkin?

#1666 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

I think they're both dating and this is their "thing". It will go on until one of them says the 'safe word'.

#1667 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

What the heck is a poppet? And what the heck does this have to do with Carte Blanche?

BTW, you can pre-order a signed copy from Goldsbro (Carte Blanche, not a poppet).
http://www.thebookbo...edition-of.html

#1668 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

The word poppet is an older spelling of puppet, from the Middle English popet, meaning a small child or doll. In British Dialect it continues to hold this meaning. Poppet is also a chiefly English term of endearment.

The word poof is used to indicate a sudden vanishing: The magician waved a wand, and poof! The birds disappeared!

:dizzy:

#1669 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

...and poof! The birds disappeared!

The birds do tend to disappear when one shouts poof

What the heck is a poppet? And what the heck does this have to do with Carte Blanche?

BTW, you can pre-order a signed copy from Goldsbro (Carte Blanche, not a poppet).

Oh, you're adorable.

#1670 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:15 PM

Oh, you're adorable.

Tell me something I don't know. ;)

#1671 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

Pre-Ordered.

#1672 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

Darling, words spoken with verve and emotion. I sit up and take note.

Some points of accuracy though;

How can the words, 'accurate description' and 'little I know of you' be anything other than a contradiction in terms? (It doesn't require an answer; it was a rhetorical question.)

I am intrigued as to why you were rescinded? It can't have been for your poetry and raconteurship because personally, I can see your words heard to music? And was this rescinding from all of Life, or something more immediate?

Dear boy, my username and real name are but the same. There is nary any hiding here as I prefer to preserve my creative juices for endeavours other than the inventing of curio nomenclatures. Also, I hail from a lineage where slowness of the brain prevails. I find just the one name causes me less confusion.

As for my world renown prick-like status, it would appear you are in a minority of one - but consider yourself well represented.

Which brings us back to the point in question, and that is whether your demeanour is mirrored in the name poppet, or the name poppet mirrors your existence, because like it or not, and I fervently hope you do get to like it because as you will get to see, there are some indubitable elements of character to consider, whether you purposely strive to achieve poppet-dom or not, I see your every move, your every gesture, your every last word as acts of supererogation to the cause where any other possible nom de guerre just would not suit and This is why I cannot see you in any other light - as utterly dim as that light might be.

Now, the ineluctable fact is that your ululations show discontent. But I say no. Be happy in your skin, be happy to be called poppet and in time, I will elevate your presence by calling you Poppet - with a capital 'P'. And if you can do this for me, for yourself, for the other forum posters, it is This that will make the forum a happier and more pleasant place to be.

I guarantee, poppet.

As for the thread issue, great book, lovely cover (the UK one), looking forward to it, Bond, 007, vodka martinis and sea island cotton.

#1673 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:27 AM

I hope the dialogue between Bond and the villain in Carte Blanche is half as good as the banter going on in here.

#1674 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:15 AM

Oh, you're adorable.

Tell me something I don't know. ;)

I made a mistake - it's A you're adorable, B you're so beautiful, C you're a cutie full of charms. All of which, obviously, apply.

Can't remember what O was. Omniscient seems to fit.

#1675 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

There's a wolf at the door, lads :D

#1676 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

Glad we have a title. I cannot wait for this book to come out, saving up for it now!!!!!!!!!

#1677 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:00 AM

In an attempt to steer this thread back on track...

The title is growing on me, but the cover art (US or UK) is awful. Looks like some quick "oh God, the deadline is in 20 minutes and I have nothing to submit!" photoshopping (UK) or pure laziness (US).

Still, I am hoping that Deaver delivers an enjoyable summer read.

#1678 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

Why is it that 'photoshopping' is considered the byword for lazy or inept design?

The tool is an industry standard of some sort and design comes in all shapes and sizes. Back in the day, we didn't turn round at a design of something and say, 'God, paint.'

There is only so much square meterage on a book cover and so long as there is some design, any, then whether it is drawn, charcoled, photoshopped or daubed with big wax crayons, comment on the result and not the process as an apology for 'design knowledge'.

Otherwise, in commenting upon critiques, people could just as easily look upon, for example, my words here and say, 'God, they've been typed.'

#1679 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for sharing this link. My pre-order is complete.

#1680 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

I for one care less about the cover and more about the words in between. Sure, the covers could be better, but oh well. A cover is a cover. We want to be able to say: "Carte Blache was brilliant, shame about the cover though," and not: "Carte Blanche was garbage, but that cover took my breath away."