This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

CARTE BLANCHE

2121 replies to this topic

Poll: Carte Blanche

Do you like the title and UK cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you like the US cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1681 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

I got another goodie package from Hodder yesterday.

http://www.thebookbo...adquarters.html

#1682 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

Oh they're keeping their 007 logo? Popping it on the back cover. That's good- I'm rather fond of their 007 logo.

#1683 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

Yeah, I like it too. I expect this will be the "branding" for the new series. Beats "XBond."

Attached Files

#1684 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Well it's been around for a while. I've always liked it though- nicely stylish. Eon's 007 logo is great but it is slightly silly! :)

#1685 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

Why is it that 'photoshopping' is considered the byword for lazy or inept design?

The same reasons that Auto-Tune has similar connotations in music.

#1686 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

Ok. Have to admit I cannot comment as I have never heard of Auto-Tune.

Is this as widely used as Photoshop in their respective circles? Are there any musicians here that can testify to this - I am not a musician or designer.

#1687 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

Ok. Have to admit I cannot comment as I have never heard of Auto-Tune.

Is this as widely used as Photoshop in their respective circles? Are there any musicians here that can testify to this - I am not a musician or designer.

The wikipedia article (not the best source, I know) is fairly helpful. Auto-Tune.

It is the artists (or "artists") using Photoshop/Auto-Tune that's the problem. You can do fabulous things with Photoshop (anything done by Mister Asterix, for example), but often times there is a certain amount of laziness behind some of it. "I could actually draw some great looking smoke (or whatever) on the computer or I could take a picture from a Google Image Search, run it through one or two filters, plop it on a background with the title and call it a day" or "I could actually have singing ability and hit this note, or I could just sing whatever note and have the computer fix it later."*

*I promise I am not a luddite.

#1688 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

Understood.

But from what you say, the tool is capable of marvellous results. I didn't know the Mr * work was produced with such and so this would seem to bear out my (and our) statement that the tool is, for want of a better word, an industry standard.

That there are lazy things done with Photoshop does Not make it a given that hard and successful work is done with every other design tool out there. I am aware by persistently arguing this case that it could be questioned whether I am an agent for said product. I am not, I assure you. I am just sitting on a fence wondering how a sentence along the lines of, 'it's just Photoshopped' has become a translation for bad or lazy design.

To refer back to the book design, I am not sure the cover is a product of Photoshop or not. To my untrained eye it could just as easily be a photograph. And if it is a photograph, it shouldn't by virtue of that fact make it any more or less successful.

For the positive, I would say it is clean, uncluttered and somewhat stylish.

For the negative, I could say it is unoriginal and has been done to death.

Maybe I am just feeling sorry for Photoshop; unprotected, unloved and in need of a friend when design detractors are in search of a stinging put down. Perhaps I could say the Photoshop put down is as unoriginal as the design we are commenting upon.

*I promise, I am not trying to be a pain in the [censored].

#1689 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:15 PM

I agree with Simon. I really like the UK cover. Soon as I saw it I said: FLEMING!

I respect the opinion of those who dislike the cover as well though.

I mean, Christ I'm going out with a girl who hates James Bond at the moment (unlucky me, eh) but hey what the [censored]. She's entitled to that opinion.

As for photoshop, well if that cover was done with that then wow - cool - I'm going to download the [censored] now to design my own covers, because if you ask me it's bloody great.

As for Auto-Tune, it was used to produce the prominent altered vocal effect on Cher's "Believe", recorded in 1998, the first major hit song to employ the software for this purpose

I think it's great. Sexy. Passionate. Whoever had the idea to incorporate this effect in a song like this should be awarded a noble prize. No serious. I love it!

So, to conclude, well done to Photoshop and auto-tune from Harry Fawkes ;)

#1690 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:29 PM

I agree with Simon. I really like the UK cover. Soon as I saw it I said: FLEMING!

I mean, Christ I'm going out with a girl who hates James Bond at the moment (unlucky me, eh) but hey what the [censored]. She's entitled to that opinion.

As for photoshop, well if that cover was done with that then wow - cool - I'm going to download the [censored] now to design my own covers, because if you ask me it's bloody great.

As for Auto-Tune, it was used to produce the prominent altered vocal effect on Cher's "Believe", recorded in 1998, the first major hit song to employ the software for this purpose

I think it's great. Sexy. Passionate. Whoever had the idea to incorporate this effect in a song like this should be awarded a noble prize. No serious. I love it!

Have you told this girlfriend of yours that you are an enthusiast of Cher?

#1691 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:32 PM

No but she's just read this post and she's packing up her bags I don't know why :confused:

#1692 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

She probably doesn't believe in life after love, then.

Damn, what a giveaway.

#1693 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:09 PM

No but she's just read this post and she's packing up her bags I don't know why :confused:

Excellent ... :D

#1694 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

I went to see Cher in concert back in 2004 (on a first date no less, at the MEN in Manchester. He paid for it - who was I to argue) and she was fantastic, she performed that song live and really worked it. I remember when the song came out (I got the album) I was living in Dubai and it used to get played on our regular nights out at the Hard Rock Cafe. Oh, the memories.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread :D

#1695 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

I went to see Cher in concert back in 2004 (on a first date no less, he paid for it - who was I to argue)

If someone arranged that for a first date with me it would be a very short and lonely date. Short for me, lonely for him.

#1696 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

But to come back to the original debate, ladies and gentlemen...Cher, God bless her very very sexy voice, anongst other things, should indeed sing the new James Bond theme...Ooops... :dizzy: Wrong thread...Sorry :D

#1697 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:05 PM

Slightly retaining the same chain of thought, I wonder if we'll get a themetune competition like the one for Devil May Care or if that will be looked on as a failed experiment.

#1698 Marketto007

Marketto007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2487 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

For those interest in use the image online, I just did a PNG (with transparent background) with the book cover. Hope you like it.

Posted Image

xxx

#1699 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:01 AM

Nice!

#1700 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

Of the two, the UK version is definitely better. While I admit the US version is not great, it does do what it sets out to: make it clear this is a James Bond novel. It's an attention grabber no matter how plain it might look. Casual readers might risk a glance to see if it's worth reading. I'm surprised how small Jeffrey Deaver's name is on the novel, as normally it is quite large on his books, but this is because they're stressing Project X as James Bond novels written by various authors, with the work being more important than who's writing it. Perhaps they'll both be creative with the paperback covers (?)

#1701 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

For those interest in use the image online, I just did a PNG (with transparent background) with the book cover. Hope you like it.

Posted Image

xxx

Oh, sincerely MarkettoOO7 that is fantastic mate!!!!

#1702 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

Intriguing and, to my way of thinking, far superior to the US cover.

#1703 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:07 AM

She probably doesn't believe in life after love, then.

Damn, what a giveaway.

:D

#1704 smudge76

smudge76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

I'm actually looking forward to this book, get feeling its going to be a good read.

#1705 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:42 AM

http://commanderbond...-a-bentley.html

Blimey- what a tacky colour scheme! :D They could have at least used the new one!

#1706 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:26 AM

Interior of that Bentley is something else. Did anyone else catch the bit about "high-tech gadgetry?" I have faith in Deaver given his Lincoln Rhyme series that whatever that car is packing will be something special.

(Watch it be OnStar).

#1707 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

Interior of that Bentley is something else. Did anyone else catch the bit about "high-tech gadgetry?" I have faith in Deaver given his Lincoln Rhyme series that whatever that car is packing will be something special.

(Watch it be OnStar).

I think Deaver has the sense...I hope he has the sense not to pack the car with over the top gadgets like missiles etc. Subtle, realistic gadgets are welcome however. I hope he makes reference in the novel to the fact that the Bentley is battleship grey. I don't want the Bentley to be white. Not sure if Bond would be into red interior..?

#1708 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:46 AM

(Watch it be OnStar).

I think Deaver has the sense...I hope he has the sense not to pack the car with over the top gadgets like missiles etc. Subtle, realistic gadgets are welcome however. I hope he makes reference in the novel to the fact that the Bentley is battleship grey. I don't want the Bentley to be white. Not sure if Bond would be into red interior..?

What I'm interested in is whether the Bentley will be Bond's own, or a company car he uses while in Dubai. I thought in that press release Deaver was by the exact model he wrote in the book. Only a couple more months now.

#1709 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

While I applaud choice of the Bentley - Flemingian and all that. But no gadgets please: this is a James Bond NOVEL, not a Pierce Brosnan movie - it is guardedly so.

In the UK, the only folk of 28 years of age who drive Bentley Continentals are footballers. Hence, the relatively chavy image the cars have over here. And we don't want James Bond associated with that, do we???

(May be one of those things lost between here and the US Jeff hasn't had pointed out to him)

So, Jeff, just make Bond a bit older. Oooh, I don't know, say 38. Makes sense in so many ways. And he wouldn't look like a flash soccer player driving his latest toy, either, as a bonus.

:)

#1710 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

Good point sir - hadn't thought of thtat.