This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#901 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

With that said, I think I'd prefer them going the Daniel Craig route and find someone who we don't know of right now, someone that comes completely out of left field that we really didn't see coming.

That's personal perception though; I've followed Craig's career for years (from Our Friends in the North onwards) and had him tagged as a possible future Bond since The Ice House in 1997 and although he wasn't a 'Movie Star' by US box office standards in 2005 his public profile was just as high (if slightly different) as those of Dalton and Brosnan when they were cast - certainly to UK television audiences and fans of independent cinema.

Well, certainly Craig wasn't entirely unknown before Bond. But I daresay only few looked at him with Bond as a distant possibility. I certainly didn't, not even after LAYER CAKE. And this not because Craig didn't perfectly fit the 'Bond-mould' at first sight, or EON wasn't exactly known for not following the 'safe' route. The biggest obstacle may actually have been objections from the studio bosses who are much less susceptible to inspired casting decisions. And I'd argue both Dalton and Brosnan were a much more traditional choice than Craig.

#902 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

Still, Craig was an established actor with 10+ years of film credits under his belt. I suspect the next Bond will be at a similar point in his career. The producers are known to have vetoed Cavill because he was too young, so it's clear that they regard age and experience as necessary. The next Bond actor is probably working in film or television right now. Someone is bound to mention him at some point.

#903 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

Still, Craig was an established actor with 10+ years of film credits under his belt. I suspect the next Bond will be at a similar point in his career. The producers are known to have vetoed Cavill because he was too young, so it's clear that they regard age and experience as necessary. The next Bond actor is probably working in film or television right now. Someone is bound to mention him at some point.

That's certainly true, I too don't think we'll see a newcomer or someone who entered the job through the backdoor. If you look at the earliest probable age an actor can hope to become Bond - late, very late twenties - roughly 10 to fifteen years of practice are probably a given. But that time could really have seen numerous different roles and involvements that would not have to be too obvious or too popular and you still couldn't say someone was exactly new to the job, yet a lot of people would go 'whodidyousay???'. Television has an army of talented, dedicated actors that play mostly minor parts and make them shine without coming to the fore or stealing the show. Same with the countless stages in Britain and overseas. You are of course right, an actor taking over Bond is bound to have been noticed. But noticed by whom and in which roles? I'm not sure any longer we'll have all the respective candidates on our list. Not since the announcement of Craig changed the game somewhat.

By the by, was Cavill not also a name the producers came up with? It now sounds as if he was an idea of the studio. I'd really like to learn more about that particular part of the casting process. And I wonder if Cavill is not still an option?

#904 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

I understand that Cavill was the favorite of Martin Campbell, whereas Craig was the favorite of Eon. Presumably Eon was not totally opposed to Cavill or he would never have made it onto their shortlist. But now that he's been cast as Superman, it seems very unlikely that he would be considered for Bond. His profile is too high, and he's associated with another iconic role. This is ignoring his inherent suitability or unsuitability for the part of Bond.

#905 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

I too don't think we'll see a newcomer or someone who entered the job through the backdoor.

Sorry, but I can't resist laughing at the no doubt unintentional same-sex casting couch innuendo.

#906 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

I understand that Cavill was the favorite of Martin Campbell, whereas Craig was the favorite of Eon. Presumably Eon was not totally opposed to Cavill or he would never have made it onto their shortlist. But now that he's been cast as Superman, it seems very unlikely that he would be considered for Bond. His profile is too high, and he's associated with another iconic role. This is ignoring his inherent suitability or unsuitability for the part of Bond.

Sounds very reasonable, whatever the outcome of Cavill's SUPERMAN will be, Bond seems out of the question afterwards.

I too don't think we'll see a newcomer or someone who entered the job through the backdoor.

Sorry, but I can't resist laughing at the no doubt unintentional same-sex casting couch innuendo.

LOL!

Sorry, didn't occur to me at all when I wrote that...

#907 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

A brilliant observation! Dustin has subconsciously discovered the secret to winning the Bond role.

#908 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

A brilliant observation! Dustin has subconsciously discovered the secret to winning the Bond role.

Well, not sure if it's that easy though...

#909 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

Well, if we do get a newcomer, there's only one way to choose him:-
Posted Image

"Sean, you're still too old. You're Fired!"

#910 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

Well, if we do get a newcomer, there's only one way to choose him:-
Posted Image

"Pierce, you're too old now, and you've already been fired!"

#911 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:33 AM

I really don't see the next Bond out there right now.

#912 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

I really don't see the next Bond out there right now.

Haven't looked in a mirror recently, kid?

#913 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

Just a little long in the tooth, but thanks for the thought.

#914 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

It's hard to say who would make a good Bond when Craig's done since Craig's likely going to be Bond for another decade or so...

#915 Golddragon71

Golddragon71

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

Benjamin Cumberbatch from BBC's Sherlock. Give him a good haircut get him to build up the muscles a tad (not too much, don't want him looking like Arnold)
Posted Image

#916 robertcampbell

robertcampbell

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:48 PM

Henry Cavill,Tom Hardy,Michael Fassbender and Clive Owen.

#917 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:31 AM

Henry Cavill,Tom Hardy,Michael Fassbender and Clive Owen.

Cavill: Disappointing overacting in the 'Immortals.' Plus he is now Superman. Forget him.

Hardy: Peter Dinklage makes a better Bond than this guy. Just how desperate are you guys?!

Fassbender: He is less and less Bond material with every movie he puts out. Has definitely regressed in my book.

Owen: Would have been a very good choice a few years ago. Too old now.

Edited by Frankie, 04 June 2012 - 01:32 AM.

#918 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:19 AM

According to his former assistant's tell-all, Christian Bale was considered for Bond but took himself out of the running by going off on a rant to Barbara Broccoli:

Bale could have been James Bond... but it went against his morals: Producer of the Bond movies Barbara Broccoli hinted that Christian could be the next 007 after Pierce Brosnan stepped aside; Bale sniffed that the spy character embodied “every despicable stereotype about England and British actors,” telling Broccoli he had “already played a serial killer.” Diva, please.

#919 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:27 AM

What a prick.

#920 mrevans

mrevans

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:29 AM

Just as well. Doesn't sound like he would have taken Bond seriously enough to do the character justice anyway.

#921 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

Silly old Bale - he put his finger right on the nub of what an actor needs to understand about Bond - what makes him interesting - and used it as a reason not to play the part !! I don't envy his agent.

Ironic, since it's this very ambiguousness about BATMAN's motivations - his anger that sent him to Tibet and returns when he needs it most against those he despises is what Bale & Nolan seem to have bottled so perfectly in the reboot.

The whole 'darkness' about BATMAN is that he enjoys what he does - he's got a lot of bottled up rage about his parent's deaths. So if there were no bad guys around he may well still need that cathartic release and become a bad guy himself; if he's not raging at something he's redundant. BATMAN is a lot like TV serial killer DEXTER in that way.

And Bond could also be said to have similarities to these two 'Serial Killers'; he lost his parent at a young age; he's dangerous to be around - can be impulsive, ruthless. Bond is in effect a serial killer; BATMAN without the cape; Patrick Bateman with licence.

Like BATMAN, Bond clings onto an ephemeral ethical code to satisfy his conscience - a code very much like DEXTER's: Only kill the bad guys...

The only difference is that DEXTER admits that he enjoys it, whereas Bond tries to deny, at least to himself...

How ironic indeed that Bale should refuse a part on principal, which in principal is so similar to those he's played.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 19 June 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#922 Golddragon71

Golddragon71

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

Or as Roger Moore's Bond said...
"There's a useful Four Letter word....and you're full of it. When i kill, it's on the specific orders of my government. and those I kill are themselves killers."
The Man with the Golden Gun
United Artists 1975
Roger Moore
Christopher Lee
Britt Ekland
Maude Adams
and Herve Villechaize

#923 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

I suspect that this "quote" was made up by some hack and not what Mr.Bale would actually have said to EON. Ever since he lost his temper on the TERMINATOR set people like to pour hate on him.

#924 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

When was that supposed to have happened? After it was announced Brosnan would not come back? I suspect a lot of actors would not have wanted to step in then, for various reasons. The part above reminds me of McGoohan giving 007 a pass. In the end it doesn't matter if he really was considered, if he really didn't want it and really said such to EON or Brocolli/Wilson.

What matters is, Craig was considered and took on the challenge.

#925 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

The only difference is that DEXTER admits that he enjoys it, whereas Bond tries to deny, at least to himself...

Good post, but I don't agree with this part. Bond is just oblivious to it. To him it's part of the job.

#926 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

Good post, but I don't agree with this part. Bond is just oblivious to it. To him it's part of the job.

I guess i've got the novels in mind, rather than the movies. Certainly the movies have never really delved into Bond's self-image beyond the sarcastic put downs from the villains. Fleming actually has Bond questioning his ethics, hence the his very large alcohol consumption to allow him to simply 'do his job'.

It's this (very slightly) self loathing quality alone that makes Bond three-dimensional and raises him above the usual action-spy fodder.

#927 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

Tom Hiddleton?

Posted Image

#928 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:26 AM

Sure, once he's through with puberty...

#929 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

I suspect that this "quote" was made up by some hack and not what Mr.Bale would actually have said to EON. Ever since he lost his temper on the TERMINATOR set people like to pour hate on him.

Thanks SAF. The "quote" doesn't ring true.

#930 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

Fassbender should definitely be out by now, seeing as he signed on for yet another (possibly huge) franchise (Assassin's Creed).

Edited by lechero, 09 July 2012 - 10:19 PM.