This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#871 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

Admittedly, I've never seen Max Brown in anything. I was just going by his appearance, resume, acting credits, etc. On paper, he looks like a solid prospect. Based on recent history, I figure that whoever the next Bond turns out to be, he's already, as of 2012, an experienced and noteworthy actor. (The only total unknown to be cast as Bond was Lazenby, and I doubt we'll see a repeat of that.) So if we cast a broad net and consider every likely prospect, we stand a decent chance of predicting Eon's eventual choice. It would be fun to say "I predicted so-and-so back in 2012." My memory is hazy, but I recall that several people predicted Craig even before the release of Layer Cake.

#872 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

Admittedly, I've never seen Max Brown in anything. I was just going by his appearance, resume, acting credits, etc. On paper, he looks like a solid prospect. Based on recent history, I figure that whoever the next Bond turns out to be, he's already, as of 2012, an experienced and noteworthy actor. (The only total unknown to be cast as Bond was Lazenby, and I doubt we'll see a repeat of that.) So if we cast a broad net and consider every likely prospect, we stand a decent chance of predicting Eon's eventual choice. It would be fun to say "I predicted so-and-so back in 2012." My memory is hazy, but I recall that several people predicted Craig even before the release of Layer Cake.

Now, THERE is a post made with intelligence. Thank you sir.

#873 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

Thank you for deciding that for me; it's saved me a lot of trouble.

You are very useful - you wouldn't know where I've left my keys would you?

I merely mentioned my opinion. A fact that obviously was lost with you. But judging by your posts in general many facts seem to get lost with you. So, par for the course.

I've never heard of either, but Max Brown certainly appears to have that dark, dangerous look, much like Connery, Dalton, or Brosnan.

I could be totally on board with Brown. I just hope he does not have a high speaking voice. But judging by that pic, he is the closest to a Bond that everybody will like.

Thank you for deciding that for me; it's saved me a lot of trouble.

You are very useful - you wouldn't know where I've left my keys would you?

Jim responds on a topic, I look just to see the witticisms.

As for Max Brown, NOPE! He was really good at side-smirking in Spooks and while he doesn't have a high pitched voice, his acting range is quite limited in my opinion. I will concede though Spooks doesn't really require obscene amounts of depth in their characters.

He was good enough to be in Tudors. Once again I remind you folks: Portraying James Bond DOES NOT require a great acting range!

Oh, do calm down, son.

#874 delon64

delon64

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

someone never mentioned is tom ward...now better known for silent witness but handled heroic action very well in the lost world some years back

#875 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

I think his age puts him out of the running. He'll be fiftyish by the time Craig leaves the role.

#876 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Tom Hiddleston. He's 31 at the moment. Is an excellent actor. Put him in the gym nd BANG! He's Bond.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image.

#877 License to Trill

License to Trill

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

Rowan Atkinson LOL

Clive Owen, Eric Bana, Michael Fassbender

#878 mttvolcano

mttvolcano

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

Clive owen is already too old, I would have liked and still like to see him however it's unlikely.
Likewise with Eric Bana, he's getting up there and when Craig finishes it's not likely either.

#879 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

Tom Hiddleston: the love child of Toby Stephens and Orlando Bloom.

Too bad Paul Bettany is already 41.

#880 smudge76

smudge76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

Hey your number one Tom Hardy if not Mr Brown ha ha. I'd still like to see Henry Cavill in the role, now Frankie do not get mad just because he has been training and getting in shape. Could be a good fit to the role and he was Martin Campbells first chioce

#881 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hey your number one Tom Hardy if not Mr Brown ha ha. I'd still like to see Henry Cavill in the role, now Frankie do not get mad just because he has been training and getting in shape. Could be a good fit to the role and he was Martin Campbells first chioce

I don't have much problem with Cavill for the role. He is not my TOP choice, but acceptable. I was also a bit turned off by his overacting in 'Immortals.'

#882 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Cavill is almost certainly out of contention. A single actor can't play both Superman and James Bond.

#883 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

Cavill is almost certainly out of contention. A single actor can't play both Superman and James Bond.

Agreed.

#884 Killmaster

Killmaster

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

I've just seen the film "Dorian Gray" and the young lead in that film is very interesting... Ben Barnes, born in London in August 1981, 6'1"... has a presence which reminds me a lot of Christian Bale in "American Psycho". (Apparently, I watch too many disturbing movies!)

Bond 24 will be released in 2014 and Bond 25 will be in 2016. Let's assume that Daniel Craig agrees to Bond 24 and no more. Barnes will be 35 in 2016... a good age. Let's assume that Craig does Bond 24 and 25 but no more. Barnes would be 37 in 2018... even better.

Just an observation ...

By the way ... my daughter tells me that Barnes was Prince Caspian in one of the Narnia films which I haven't seen. I don't know if that would help his cause or hinder it.

#885 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

I've just seen the film "Dorian Gray" and the young lead in that film is very interesting... Ben Barnes, born in London in August 1981, 6'1"... has a presence which reminds me a lot of Christian Bale in "American Psycho". (Apparently, I watch too many disturbing movies!)

Bond 24 will be released in 2014 and Bond 25 will be in 2016. Let's assume that Daniel Craig agrees to Bond 24 and no more. Barnes will be 35 in 2016... a good age. Let's assume that Craig does Bond 24 and 25 but no more. Barnes would be 37 in 2018... even better.

Just an observation ...

By the way ... my daughter tells me that Barnes was Prince Caspian in one of the Narnia films which I haven't seen. I don't know if that would help his cause or hinder it.

I have suggested Barnes way back in this very thread. I'm glad there's someone else who sees the potential. Very good, sir.

#886 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

Whoever plays Bond should be at least slightly frightening to the average teenage girl. That's an essential qualification for a Bond actor. He has to be a threat, not a dreamboat. The nature of that threat may be physical or it may be psychological. In either case, Ben Barnes lacks it. He may have stubble and arm hair, but he doesn't send a single shiver through darling buds of May.

#887 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Whoever plays Bond should be at least slightly frightening to the average teenage girl. That's an essential qualification for a Bond actor. He has to be a threat, not a dreamboat. The nature of that threat may be physical or it may be psychological.

Very wise words. There must be a bit of a pirate quality an actor has to have for this role.

#888 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:10 PM

Whoever plays Bond should be at least slightly frightening to the average teenage girl. That's an essential qualification for a Bond actor. He has to be a threat, not a dreamboat. The nature of that threat may be physical or it may be psychological. In either case, Ben Barnes lacks it. He may have stubble and arm hair, but he doesn't send a single shiver through darling buds of May.

Nailed it right on the head!

#889 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

Here's what's wrong with this argument:

1- You are not a teenage girl, so you can be considered not an expert.

2- Most posters here fail to think outside the box. You are all trapped in looking at someone like Ben Barnes as Prince Caspian in a teen fantasy movie. Therefore you refuse to afford him the chance of being more menacing. Connery in Darby O'Gill was quite the unthreatening character diametrically different from Connery of Bond. Sean Penn's step into fame was in Fast Times at Ridgemont High in which he played an easy going happy go lucky surfer boy. It was quite the opposite of Sgt. Meserve in Casualties of War (and many other menacing roles that he has played). If someone like you were a casting director Sean Penn would never get a role other than easy going, unthreatening air heads.

Barnes is young but he definitely losing the youthful look and with a couple of mature lines on his face he could be menacing. Here's a good start:

Posted Image

See above.

#890 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

Here's what's wrong with this argument:

1- You are not a teenage girl, so you can be considered not an expert.

2- Most posters here fail to think outside the box. You are all trapped in looking at someone like Ben Barnes as Prince Caspian in a teen fantasy movie. Therefore you refuse to afford him the chance of being more menacing. Connery in Darby O'Gill was quite the unthreatening character diametrically different from Connery of Bond. Sean Penn's step into fame was in Fast Times at Ridgemont High in which he played an easy going happy go lucky surfer boy. It was quite the opposite of Sgt. Meserve in Casualties of War (and many other menacing roles that he has played). If someone like you were a casting director Sean Penn would never get a role other than easy going, unthreatening air heads.

Barnes is young but he definitely losing the youthful look and with a couple of mature lines on his face he could be menacing. Here's a good start:

Posted Image

But this argument is not about a specific quality the actor in this role lacks, but a specific quality the actor in general seems to lack. I don't think we aren't able to think outside the box - or at least we're not entirely unable to. The question is, do I get a certain vibe from an actor I want to cast or not. And that's of course not just about former roles he or she has played.

#891 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

See above.

I think Pussfeller's point was rather realistic. If yoy take into account the actors and their quality that play in such films, I think there's not a clue any of them is matching Bond's role. Your argument has a big fault. You compare past mainstream films with current ones. They're not even remotely comparable in terms of cast and plot.

#892 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

Whoever plays Bond should be at least slightly frightening to the average teenage girl. That's an essential qualification for a Bond actor. He has to be a threat, not a dreamboat. The nature of that threat may be physical or it may be psychological.

Very wise words. There must be a bit of a pirate quality an actor has to have for this role.

Agreed.

I'd rather see them pull the next actor from left field much like they did with Daniel Craig. Aside from Fassbender, who I think will probably be too well known (might already be) by the time Craig hangs up the tux, I don't really see anyone out there that really has me excited about their prospects as Bond. I had no idea who Daniel Craig was when his name first popped up in the rumor mill for the part, and I'd kind of like to see EON follow that same method for casting the next Bond, bringing in an actor that a large section of the audience is unfamiliar with, and who has the qualities you listed above, and let him really own the role rather than someone who will bring a significant amount of baggage to it.

#893 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

That is what I suppose - and hope! - will happen. The need for a recast may still be four or six years away. It's perfectly reasonable the next Bond may not be on the public radar as yet, and maybe not for several years to come. And I hope EON stays innovative and inspired with their choices.

#894 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

I'd rather see them pull the next actor from left field much like they did with Daniel Craig. Aside from Fassbender, who I think will probably be too well known (might already be) by the time Craig hangs up the tux, I don't really see anyone out there that really has me excited about their prospects as Bond. I had no idea who Daniel Craig was when his name first popped up in the rumor mill for the part, and I'd kind of like to see EON follow that same method for casting the next Bond, bringing in an actor that a large section of the audience is unfamiliar with, and who has the qualities you listed above, and let him really own the role rather than someone who will bring a significant amount of baggage to it.

I used to be on Fassbender's bandwagon too. But the more I'm seeing him in movies the more flaws I see. If you check my suggestions in this thread you'll see the proverbial "actor from the left field" in almost all of them. Even Barnes has not left the left field that much.

Edited by Frankie, 19 May 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#895 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

Barnes projects no menace or alpha male quality whatsoever.

#896 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

Even with my crude work with Paint, I see no problem with this guy as 007. Do you?[img http://i1132.photobu...enBarnes007.jpg [/img]

Edited by Frankie, 19 May 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#897 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

Yep, same as I said before. Looks like a smarmy waiter. Might as well cast this geezer:

http://www.flightglo...umb-500x750.jpg

#898 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

With that said, I think I'd prefer them going the Daniel Craig route and find someone who we don't know of right now, someone that comes completely out of left field that we really didn't see coming.

That's personal perception though; I've followed Craig's career for years (from Our Friends in the North onwards) and had him tagged as a possible future Bond since The Ice House in 1997 and although he wasn't a 'Movie Star' by US box office standards in 2005 his public profile was just as high (if slightly different) as those of Dalton and Brosnan when they were cast - certainly to UK television audiences and fans of independent cinema.

#899 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

I guess Fassbender would be great right now. But whenever Craig will stop being Bond (hopefully not earlier than with Bond 25) Fassbender will be as likely to step up as Clive Owen was after Brosnan.

A new, fresh choice would be welcome. Someone who really surprises but has all the qualities we love in Bond. Someone like Craig - but totally unlike Craig (otherwise it would be like casting a new Connery after Connery). And EON has always done this very well: going for a different type. Connery-Lazenby-Moore-Dalton-Brosnan-Craig...

He was good enough to be in Tudors. Once again I remind you folks: Portraying James Bond DOES NOT require a great acting range!

What? You´re so wrong, dear...

#900 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

With that said, I think I'd prefer them going the Daniel Craig route and find someone who we don't know of right now, someone that comes completely out of left field that we really didn't see coming.

That's personal perception though; I've followed Craig's career for years (from Our Friends in the North onwards) and had him tagged as a possible future Bond since The Ice House in 1997 and although he wasn't a 'Movie Star' by US box office standards in 2005 his public profile was just as high (if slightly different) as those of Dalton and Brosnan when they were cast - certainly to UK television audiences and fans of independent cinema.

It's always personal perception though, isn't it? I can only look at it through the eyes of someone from the US because that's where I live.