This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#931 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:36 AM

Good grief Cavill is so awfully b-l-a-n-d....

#932 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

A CGI Sean Connery.

...........dumb.

This is inappropriately to early for this topic. Let Daniel have his run & when he's ready to move on... then I'll think about it.

#933 SkyfallCraig

SkyfallCraig

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

Not British:
Matt Bomer, american
Posted Image
Luca Argentero, italian
Posted Image

#934 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

Rupert Friend is the man.

Posted Image

#935 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

Not British:
Matt Bomer, american
Posted Image
Luca Argentero, italian
Posted Image

They both fit the bill lookwise. I don't know about Bomer, but try to make the Italian dude sound British.

Good grief Cavill is so awfully b-l-a-n-d....

I haven't seen him in many things, but I certainly hated his (over)acting in Immortals.

#936 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

Bond should be British, or at least from the British Commonwealth.

#937 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

Bond should be British, or at least from the British Commonwealth.

Ridiculous. Bond is born in Germany. His mother was Swiss and his father Scottish. He grew up abroad. and he is a Brit only by his job and his manners.
Would Sean Connery become an heretic if Scotland became independant ? Ireland left the British Commonwealth in 1948 : was Pierce Brosnan an anti-James Bond ?

IMO, you confuse "American actor" and "American production". The first one isn't harmful for Bond, while the second one is. Tarantino as a director would have more destroyed the Bond saga than Goran Visnjic or an American as Bond actors.

Posted Image Posted Image

Just considering their physicals, they are more James Bond than Sean, George, Roger, or Daniel. Just a thought.

#938 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

Strictly speaking the idea Bond was born in Germany was Pearson's invention, nothing in the canon points to that. CR's picking up on it with Bond's SIS file on the net was just Sony's promotion material, also not exactly official.

That said I think you have a point with British production vs. British actor. I'd just say the main point is there should always be enough British acting talent around to find a fitting man for THE iconic British role. On the other hand I sometimes wonder how we would think if Connery, Moore or Craig had been Americans. Would their portrait become less valuable for it? Why?

Or think about recasting the role. The aim would be to find the best possible actor for it. What if the best happened to be American? Go with second best? Because of a passport?

On the whole I suppose it's a tricky question, one that might have turned out differently at several points in the past. But today it's hard to imagine it, with five decades of heritage and the perspective of more British talent in the role in the future. Of course, one wonders. But overall I'm happy with things as they turned out, nothing wrong with that.

#939 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

Fleming himself wrote that there was something 'un-English' about Bond. Casting Connery rather than an English gentleman of the David Niven mould was a stroke of genius. After Moore's tenure was up he liked to torment people by reccommending Hugh Grant - another quintessential Englishman.

Twice the series narrowly avoided disaster by dropping Americans John Gavin and James Brolin at the last minute. Have you seen the latter's screen test? Compare it to Sam Neill's.

So many fine Scottish, Irish and Australian/NZ actors have popped up while the role was already filled (eg: Bryan Brown, Sam Neill, Hugh Jackman, Dougray Scott, Gerard Butler, Liam Neeson, to name but a few). I have every confidence that EON will choose an appropriate, hot up-and-comer when the time comes.

#940 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

I agree that neither Brolin nor Gavin are really my idea of Bond (though I think Gavin need not have been disastrous). But a young Eastwood, as supposedly the EON top brass thought would fit? Now that would have been a different thing, Eastwood in LALD. Or even in OHMSS...

#941 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

"Go ahead - stir my martini. Just remember, this is a 7.65 mm Walther with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window. So you gotta ask yourself one question: does he want an olive? Well do I, punk?!"

Still, better than 'Smokey and the 00 Agent.'

#942 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

'Make my day, Blofeld...'

#943 O'Cookmate

O'Cookmate

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

When the sad day comes and Daniel Craig does retire from the role, I'd love to see Michael Fassbender replace him. In fact, I'd be very disappointed if anyone other than Fassbender did get the role - he's perfect.

#944 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

When the sad day comes and Daniel Craig does retire from the role, I'd love to see Michael Fassbender replace him. In fact, I'd be very disappointed if anyone other than Fassbender did get the role - he's perfect.

I was on the Fassbender bandwagon for a while, but I have jumped off it already. The more I have watched him in movies the less Bond-like he has become to me.

Also Craig's retirement won't be sad IMO. While he is a good actor he still is not Bond in my eyes. He is still a product of EON's desire to emulate Bourne and Barb Broccoli's 'other' desires.

BTW, I still don't get this Craig fascination. Pierce Brosnan, after two outings had one good Bond flick and one not so good one. Just like Craig.

#945 O'Cookmate

O'Cookmate

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

I was on the Fassbender bandwagon for a while, but I have jumped off it already. The more I have watched him in movies the less Bond-like he has become to me.

Also Craig's retirement won't be sad IMO. While he is a good actor he still is not Bond in my eyes. He is still a product of EON's desire to emulate Bourne and Barb Broccoli's 'other' desires.

BTW, I still don't get this Craig fascination. Pierce Brosnan, after two outings had one good Bond flick and one not so good one. Just like Craig.

But surely he's not going to be playing Bond-type characters in every film he appears in. The important thing is, I think, that he's displayed the potential to play Bond, whether or not he does so in every film he does is unimportant. Even Daniel Craig, who I think is the best actor to have played Bond, doesn't just stick to Bondish roles.

I think Craig's proven that he's got really great acting chops. Whatever your opinions on Brosnan's films (I actually have a bit of a soft spot for TND), he didn't really display the same acting skills that Craig has in his two films. Although, granted, Brosnan didn't have the more challenging material that Craig has had. I don't think Craig's Bond emulates Bourne in anyway, I think he's actually the closest to Fleming's Bond so far. Quantum of Solace might have deliberately emulated Bourne in some respects but I'd say Craig's Bond has remained fairly faithful to Fleming throughout the two movies.

#946 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:32 AM

I hope the next Bond is Canadian.

#947 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hear, hear.

Too bad Paul Gross is already past it.

#948 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

Hear, hear.

...I don't think so. :P

Too bad Paul Gross is already past it.

I won't ask if you're joking.

#949 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

You mean you don't think Paul Gross is past it yet?

That's encouraging.

#950 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

Jonathan Rhys-Myers has an interesting, unique look. Not bland or anonymous as Cavill strikes me. Not looking for "emo-Bond", but whether he could portray the confidence, the swagger of Bond becomes moot because: he's too short. IMDB says he's 5'10".
Michael Fassbender is terrific, as well as handsome and quite capable of the dashing look. Even before the Bondian aspects of the X-Men retrospective, X-Men: First Class, when he played the dashing young man who became Magneto, he was extremely Bondian playing a spy pretending to be a Nazi in Inglourious Basterds -- all that before his daring role in Shame and his fantastic performance in Prometheus. He's 6' tall, per IMDB, so...on the line, but, with his bearing and physicality, he could look quite right.
Not trying to be strictly superficial with this, but, they're both terrific actors, so my focus moved on to appearances, which are quite important for the role.

#951 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

Me too, fellow Canadian. Could Ryan Gosling pass?

#952 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

If Jason Connery could play Ian Fleming, Gosling could play Bond.

Let's beat the Christmas rush and start campaigning now.

#953 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Or Swedish/American?

Posted Image

Joel Kinnaman

#954 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:33 PM

"Bloody yanks..."

#955 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

Joel Kinnaman looks like a carny. He exudes ratty unwholesomeness.

#956 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Kinnaman is very good in AMC's The Killing, but I just can't see him as Bond. Perhaps as a henchman or a Felix Leiter-type ally somewhere down the line, but I think he would be miscast as Bond. I would say the same for Matt Bomer. I enjoyed his work on the first couple of seasons of Chuck, but I think he'd also be miscast as Bond.

#957 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

Actually my suggestion of Kinnaman was tongue in cheek. I have suggested better possible candidates throughout this very thread. ;)

#958 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

A CGI Sean Connery.

...........dumb.

This is inappropriately to early for this topic. Let Daniel have his run & when he's ready to move on... then I'll think about it.

This!!

#959 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

I disagree. It's worthwhile maintaining a running discussion, because it's always amusing, after a new Bond has been cast, to look back at our bizarre speculations. Remember Alex O'Loughlin and Ewan Stewart?

#960 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

I think speculation will have its way regardless. It's only natural people explore different alternatives; perhaps even more so with a strong and successful present. It's not meant to impair on the present run - at least by the genuine fans - and it's hardly less interesting than the threads exploring Dalton's third or Lazenby's second. Adding to the excitement is the fact the range of possibilities has become so much wider.

Make no mistake, somebody is probably thinking about casting the role all the time...

Edited by Dustin, 21 July 2012 - 10:03 PM.