This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#3931 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:31 AM

Just so. I still have trouble believing they looked at Dalton in '69...

#3932 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

Similarly Brosnan looked very un-Bond like in '81 when Cubby would've first met him.

I have to disagree...

pierce-brosnan-long-good-friday.jpg

The Long Good Friday, 1980

Btw, that's one of the best movie endings ever :)

As for Stevens, has anyone here seen The Guest  and still thinks he's too soft looking for the role?

#3933 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

Yes, long good Friday he looks the part,  but a year later, when he would've met Cubby, he looked like this  

http://c7.alamy.com/...-may-B4J0RE.jpg

Very un-Bond, but I don't think EON judge by what you at one point looked so much as what you could be. I mean, somehow, Darby O'Gill and the little people is what made them consider Connery! So whilst Stevens doesn't look Bondian in Downton Abbey or with the very gaunt look he has at the moment for Legion (which is intentional, he is playing a long term patient in a psychiatric facility) It wouldn't take much to give him a more Bondian look.

#3934 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

Indeed!

And i think the people suggesting Stevens hasn't the right stuff have yet to watch The Guest. And i'm guessing his next movie with Gareth Edwards will only add to this.

#3935 KB 007

KB 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:35 PM

I've watched The Guest, and while he is very good in it, I don't think he would be right for Bond. Acting-wise he is fine, but he is still extremely thin and a little boyish. Some people complained that the last pictures I posted were old, so here are some pictures from a couple months ago (and with no beard):

Dan-Stevens-2017-GQ-Photo-Shoot-004.jpg

Dan-Stevens-2017-GQ-Photo-Shoot-006.jpg

Dan-Stevens-2017-GQ-Photo-Shoot-007.jpg

Dan-Stevens-2017-GQ-Photo-Shoot-003.jpg

Part of what made The Guest so amusing is that a guy that looked like a 130 pound teenager just turns out to be a total psychopath. It was great for that movie, but doesn't mean it would be great for Bond. A young Brosnan still looked full framed and came off as fairly manly, in my opinion. You could tell he had a deeper voice. Also, why are we comparing him with Brosnan circa 1980? Are people suggesting Stevens should take over the role 15 years from now? I thought this thread was basically predicated on the idea that Craig might not be back for the next film and the actor that we're looking for might have to play him in the next film. I don't think this guy's bone structure is changing much in the next 3 years...

Based on these pictures he actually looks more like Dr. Who to me. And I just realized based on that second picture that he could make a great Riddler.

Edited by KB 007, 09 May 2017 - 08:41 PM.

#3936 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:02 PM

Currently we don't even know when BOND 25 is going to happen. Which, should Craig return, would in all likelihood be his last. From then onwards (2018 or 2019) it's anybody's guess and I suppose most suggestions are meant for BOND 26 in - probably, hopefully - 2022. By that time Stevens would be 40. Theoretically he could beef up somewhat. Theoretically he could even play Bond bearded by then, who knows? Or maybe they decide to go the deviously clever route 'back to Fleming' and give him the often missed facial scar?

Personally I don't see it, no. But there are lots of things I didn't see coming, and yet they happened...

#3937 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:07 AM

Cavill looked like a boy in 05 and he made it final two...

#3938 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

Well, he looked young, yes. But then they were looking for a young Bond. I'm not sure that's a given after Craig, even if they decide to reboot. I doubt they will feel the urge to tell yet another origin story when the topic has been fairly exhausted. Eon probably will want an actor they can use for ten to 15 years. But I rather expect them to start out like they did with Brosnan, as smooth as possible without admitting too much change even if everything ends up differently.

Therefore I doubt that the one taking over from Craig will look too juvenile.

#3939 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

I'd add to that Bond 7 won't be 'muscle bound' to the extent Craig was. That fitted into Craig's idea that in CR Bond had just been recruited from the SAS, in which it's not uncommon to have that look (if tv portrayals are to be believed). Either way he understood that it was useful to be bulky in order to show a transition into the job of a 00.

Bond 7 will not (surely) be a Bond Begins reboot, so there's no need to be bulky. I doubt physique will be a priority in casting, so long as he's plausibly fit; such gimmicks will be at the discretion of the actor.

#3940 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

These days every young male actor looks like visiting the gym twice a day with a personal trainer, eating only a special diet anyway...

#3941 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

If it's a certain 'type', yes. In former days the 'young lover/hero' type mainly had to look young and attractive. They often were model types, yes. But since about the last 15 or 20 years they increasingly look like model types from 'Men's Health'. Compare for this Matt Damon's look in THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY and his look in the Bourne films. Whenever there is a chance to show an actor's chest today most directors go for it, provided what they can show looks chiselled and toned. Consequently, your chances of landing such parts are zero without at least the basic willingness to invest the work and diet regimen necessary.

Ironically, in Fleming's FRWL, Grant's obvious physical fitness - spotted even through a suit - raised Bond's suspicions and he made a remark about it. Fantastic gung-ho as Bond's world may have been - with a few days of training being enough to get the desk jockey Bond underwater to Mr Big's island - it was still grounded enough for Bond to notice how odd it is that one of his colleagues should look like a professional athlete.

I think it's not really down to any considerations about Bond's supposed background that Craig looked like he did in CR and onwards. Craig was unusual casting for the time, it was felt that he had to look more impressive and since the results of Craig's work were indeed convincing that was then shown in great detail, why ever not? The background story was mainly a marketing device that didn't influence the actual storyline. In the film it's just shown how Bond 'earns' the 00. But he could just as well have been from inside SIS as from any other three-letter club, nobody would have been any the wiser if not a word had been wasted on it.

#3942 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

Exactly.

Also, height-challenged actors always like to bulk up in order to look, well, like more...

#3943 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

This thread must stop now--the Guardian has decided that "an emotionless character that belongs to a grotesque tradition should be shelved, and all speculation over who should play him needs to end": https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2017/may/09/idris-elba-james-bond-joanna-lumley

The Guardian has spoken!

#3944 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:22 PM

I suppose the Guardian - and any number of other media outlets - have spoken so often on the matter that I doubt they would seriously want to run their businesses henceforth without the help of Bond. I predict they will want to dig out the corpse of the deceased right after the spade flattened the surface of the grave...

#3945 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:45 PM

So does this mean Caspar Salmon is taking himself out of the running for Bond 7 ?

#3946 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:01 AM

Hmm, why would any journalist want to give his opinion on James Bond right now?

Oh, right. 

#3947 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:19 AM

I suppose the Guardian - and any number of other media outlets - have spoken so often on the matter that I doubt they would seriously want to run their businesses henceforth without the help of Bond. I predict they will want to dig out the corpse of the deceased right after the spade flattened the surface of the grave...

And look who appears a mere day after his funeral: https://www.theguard...ass-spy-fiction

And this time they just call for his retirement, together with Smiley...

#3948 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:35 PM

Hmm, the article seems to have conveniently ignored the Bond reboot, in which Craig is far from privileged. Craig (and CR) inferred that his Bond was recruited from the special forces (SAS being the obvious one). I can't speak for their officer class, but their soldiers are generally working class - often (according to all the docos i've watched) from a troubled background, like the one established for Bond in SF.

If i recall correctly SF and SP kept the tragic orphan stuff and didn't mention Bond's schooling. If so (can't remember i'm afraid) then they probably omitted the Eton part on purpose, because it wouldn't fit with the hard knocks Special Forces type Craig has established.

Either way, unlike Moore's or Dalton's, Craig's Bond doesn't come across as privileged. I agree with HB Lyle's view that far to many English hero archetypes are from privlage, but so it seems do Eon, so he's talking out of his 00

#3949 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

And look who appears a mere day after his funeral: https://www.theguard...ass-spy-fiction

And this time they just call for his retirement, together with Smiley...

I wonder who will be retired in tomorrow´s edition...

#3950 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:21 PM

Hmm, the article seems to have conveniently ignored the Bond reboot, in which Craig is far from privileged. Craig (and CR) inferred that his Bond was recruited from the special forces (SAS being the obvious one). I can't speak for their officer class, but their soldiers are generally working class - often (according to all the docos i've watched) from a troubled background, like the one established for Bond in SF.

If i recall correctly SF and SP kept the tragic orphan stuff and didn't mention Bond's schooling. If so (can't remember i'm afraid) then they probably omitted the Eton part on purpose, because it wouldn't fit with the hard knocks Special Forces type Craig has established.

Either way, unlike Moore's or Dalton's, Craig's Bond doesn't come across as privileged. I agree with HB Lyle's view that far to many English hero archetypes are from privlage, but so it seems do Eon, so he's talking out of his 00

CR brings this up. Went to high end uni "by the grace of someone else's charity" and he "didn't come from money, and (his) school friends never let (him) forget it"

#3951 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:43 AM

This thread must stop now--the Guardian has decided that "an emotionless character that belongs to a grotesque tradition should be shelved, and all speculation over who should play him needs to end": https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2017/may/09/idris-elba-james-bond-joanna-lumley

The Guardian has spoken!

Another outraged mainstream media commentator losing their mind, wanting to shut something down. What's new?  

#3952 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

CR brings this up. Went to high end uni "by the grace of someone else's charity" and he "didn't come from money, and (his) school friends never let (him) forget it"

Thank god for people with a working memory! Thanks for that :)

So there you go, Eon have already addressed this issue over a decade ago. Whatever this journalist is being paid it's far too much. 

#3953 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:18 AM

Let´s think positive about this: more articles about Bond must mean awareness for BOND 25 is building.

#3954 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:39 PM

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

#3955 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

I think Aidan Turner is closest to Moore & Brosnan (not a bad thing after Craig).

#3956 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:47 PM

The Guardian has spoken!

I'd hate to see how you act when there's a real emergency...

#3957 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:49 PM

I think Aidan Turner is closest to Moore & Brosnan (not a bad thing after Craig).

I like Turner as well. He'd be a good choice.

#3958 KB 007

KB 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:10 AM

Conan O'Brien discusses James Bond rumors with Charlie Hunnam:

#3959 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:57 AM

Hilarious.

#3960 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

Wow, his accent is strange. I think he's from Newcastle, but it sounds Welsh there! Though not as bonkers as Tom Hardy's interview accents and those new Sky mobile ads. Boy he sounds odd in those! He's probably still in character from Dunkirk. 

Anyhow, he's not on my list for Bond. Over 7 seasons of Sons of Anarchy i saw little more in the actor's toolbox than rage and a K9 head tilt for empathy.