This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#3961 Catching Bullets

Catching Bullets

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:14 AM

Some Next Bond thoughts from this bullet catcher....

http://markoconnell....an-for-the-job/

#3962 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:13 PM

Some Next Bond thoughts from this bullet catcher....

http://markoconnell....an-for-the-job/

A few solid names...

#3963 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:52 PM

Still hoping for this guy:

friendbond_zpsufyjwyiw.png

#3964 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

Again, fantastic work tdalton.

#3965 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:33 AM

Still hoping for this guy:

friendbond_zpsufyjwyiw.png

Bravo, Sir!

#3966 Irrigator

Irrigator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

Some interesting names in the Mark O Connell article. Still my personal favorite is Craig's runner-up in 2005 Henry Cavill. A perfect antidote for everyone who feels Craig is a bit too serious. A throwback to the Moore era. Now if only he could get rid of that darn cape (read: contract).

Henry-Cavill.jpg

Edited by Irrigator, 05 June 2017 - 05:35 PM.

#3967 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

I do feel, too, that Cavill would have been a great Bond and still could be.

I guess it all depends on two things: whether BOND 25 will be years off and JUSTICE LEAGUE will underperform and/or end the current casting.  Affleck reportedly already toyed with stepping down.  Re-casting Superman as well could then be a logical step, too.  Right now, only WONDER WOMAN seems to be the kind of long term success WB/DC can bank on.

#3968 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:47 PM

Some interesting names in the Mark O Connell article. Still my personal favorite is still Craig's runner-up in 2005 Henry Cavill. A perfect antidote for everyone who feels Craig is a bit too serious. A throwback to the Moore era. Now if only he could get rid of that darn cape (read: contract).

Henry-Cavill.jpg

Cavill would have been a natural successor but he is Superman now...

#3969 Irrigator

Irrigator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:40 PM

Moore was The Saint before he was Bond. Brosnan was Remington Steele before he was Bond. Obviously availability can be tricky, but there are enough actors who can play two (or more) legendary roles. Just look at Ian McKellen, Harrison Ford, Tom Cruise or Will Smith. If Cavill talks in a British accent, becomes a bit leaner and wears his hair different, I'll doubt anyone will mind.

#3970 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

Cavill is priced out of contention. A guy who already earns $15 million a picture is not going to be cast as Bond. For comparison, Craig earned £2 million for CR, £4 million for QOS, and £11 million for SF. To sign Cavill to a multi-film contract would require something like $75 million, whereas someone like Rupert Friend or Tom Cullen could be signed on similar terms to Craig. This also rules out Hardy, Fassbender, and probably Stevens and Dornan. As a general rule, actors don't take huge pay cuts, and producers don't spend ten times more than they have to. 

#3971 Irrigator

Irrigator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

Cavill is priced out of contention. A guy who already earns $15 million a picture is not going to be cast as Bond. For comparison, Craig earned £2 million for CR, £4 million for QOS, and £11 million for SF. To sign Cavill to a multi-film contract would require something like $75 million, whereas someone like Rupert Friend or Tom Cullen could be signed on similar terms to Craig. This also rules out Hardy, Fassbender, and probably Stevens and Dornan. As a general rule, actors don't take huge pay cuts, and producers don't spend ten times more than they have to. 

I don't feel Friend or Cullen are near the same league Craig is. After Craig, I can imagine EON would be interested in an actor who has a lot of movie experience. Cullen works mostly in television. Friend has more interesting credits, but still hardly compares to the work Craig has done pre Bond. What both men lack is heat. Craig was leading several very well received films like Layer Cake & Enduring Love, while co-starring in huge titles like Tomb Raider and Road to Perdition. Now, you are right Cavill's fee might become a problem, although apart from the DC universe his films have done very little. But you have to remember that it isn't just the salary that makes playing Bond interesting. It's all the commercial deals and royalties that pile up. So I still wouldn't rule Cavill out. Playing Bond still can make him very rich. 

#3972 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:40 AM

This financial argument would seem to favor the likes of Aidan Turner or Luke Evans.

#3973 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:15 AM

I doubt that Cavill commands that big a fee.  Maybe his agent was able to negotiate a huge pay check for the DC universe (after MAN OF STEEL, he surely will not have been payed too much for that).  But none of his other starring roles have given him box office power.  So, outside of Superman, he will work for less.

And to give him Bond would be an opportunity he certainly would not pass on.  Especially not if his Superman by then has run his course.

I do believe that JUSTICE LEAGUE will attract a solid worldwide number of audiences, just because marketing power can turn these comic book films into a success.  But I also doubt that it will achieve what WB wants and needs to make this film lucrative.  Also, it is weird that Superman is not even part of the marketing of JUSTICE LEAGUE.  It is certain that he will return for the film - but how much screen time will he actually have and how will he be portrayed?

And at some point Cavill will want to leave the role, especially since WB does not seem to be eager to give Superman his own series.  It´s hard to believe that AQUAMAN will be a huge success, so the next film they already are concentrating on is a WONDER WOMAN sequel.  The BATMAN standalone has the next priority but seems to be lost in development hell, with Affleck definitely stalling and shooting down concepts after not being able to get his own take off the ground.

Cavill could be what EON is hoping for.  And it would be in line with EON´s way of doing business: getting back to people who impressed during earlier casting sessions.

#3974 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

Moore was The Saint before he was Bond. Brosnan was Remington Steele before he was Bond.
Those were tv roles not an iconic movie role.

#3975 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

Cavill is priced out of contention. A guy who already earns $15 million a picture is not going to be cast as Bond. For comparison, Craig earned £2 million for CR, £4 million for QOS, and £11 million for SF. To sign Cavill to a multi-film contract would require something like $75 million, whereas someone like Rupert Friend or Tom Cullen could be signed on similar terms to Craig. This also rules out Hardy, Fassbender, and probably Stevens and Dornan. As a general rule, actors don't take huge pay cuts, and producers don't spend ten times more than they have to.

+1

Edited by MISALA1994, 06 June 2017 - 08:48 AM.

#3976 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

Cavill could be what EON is hoping for.  And it would be in line with EON´s way of doing business: getting back to people who impressed during earlier casting sessions.

This makes sense and should be taken into account.

#3977 Irrigator

Irrigator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:46 AM

I doubt that Cavill commands that big a fee.  Maybe his agent was able to negotiate a huge pay check for the DC universe (after MAN OF STEEL, he surely will not have been payed too much for that).  But none of his other starring roles have given him box office power.  So, outside of Superman, he will work for less.

And to give him Bond would be an opportunity he certainly would not pass on.  Especially not if his Superman by then has run his course.

And at some point Cavill will want to leave the role, especially since WB does not seem to be eager to give Superman his own series. Cavill could be what EON is hoping for.  And it would be in line with EON´s way of doing business: getting back to people who impressed during earlier casting sessions.

+1

Edited by Irrigator, 07 June 2017 - 11:47 AM.

#3978 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:00 PM

And it would seem Cavill might have some openings in his schedule as Man of Steel sequels aren't slated to be in production after the Justice League movies.  DCEU's next two movies in production after JL and Aquaman appear to be the newly announced Batgirl and Justice League Dark.  The Batman, Cyborg, and The Flash have all run into pre-production delays, with Gotham City Sirens and a Suicide Squad sequel are more likely to appear first.  With how reactive Warner Bros. is to its movies' receptions, a Wonder Woman sequel may even emerge before all those other planned projects.

Cavill might be interested in the steady work of a Bond franchise.

#3979 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

Could the Bond franchise really be considered "steady work" is the real question, though.  If Barbara and Michael came to Cavill with a solid plan of where they were going to go with the films and had something mapped out where it was reasonable to assume that we'd get a steady dose of Bond films over a set period of time, that would be one thing, but EON doesn't seem to have things figured out in that matter.  Cavill would be in the same position as he is as Superman, waiting around for the studio to make up its mind.  He can at least crash other superheroes' films as part of the DC Universe.  Can't do that as Bond.

#3980 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:47 PM

I'm ok with Superman becoming Bond, but not at the same time.

It's the cape or the Walther.

#3981 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:59 PM

I'm ok with Superman becoming Bond, but not at the same time.

I'm not...

Edited by MISALA1994, 12 June 2017 - 03:59 PM.

#3982 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

It does not seem likely that there will be a stand-alone Superman movie for quite some time, and after JUSTICE LEAGUE this year Cavill will probably decide whether he wants to stay on doing nothing but cameos in other DC films.

That is, if he gets to choose Bond at all.  Right now, the probability would be extremely low since Craig has not stepped down AND the next film is not even slated for production.

#3983 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:50 PM

It's perhaps a blessing for Cavill if he's not currently in the running. Nothing points to significant development on BOND 25 this summer, maybe not even the rest of the year. That's six months during which a lot of other roles might come along; perhaps even the real hit he's working for so long now.

For Craig it doesn't probably change a lot whether BOND 25 starts production this year or the next - or at all. He's already been through it all.

#3984 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:02 PM

From Craig's pov the delay probably suits him. I'm guessing that he's thinking the longer the break the better so he can build an appetite to return.

#3985 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:08 AM

... or the easier it will be to step away from the role because then he can always say: oh, I wouldn´t have minded to return but the suits thought after all this time a new start would be better.

Let´s not forget: Craig is the one who always wanted long breaks, leaving even EON in doubt whether he would deem it to his liking to come back.

As for Cavill: I am looking forward to his turn in the next MISSION IMPOSSIBLE-movie.  Sporting a mustache as one can see on the new photos from the set.  So much for being Superman AND doing other roles.

#3986 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:59 AM

I guess with Craig people would by now neither be surprised if he returns nor if he doesn't. The aftermath of SPECTRE has been so shaky, the ballyhoo about 'sure' replacements and bets and whatnot... People's reaction would likely be 'Oh..., so what's new?'

And this could be the problem perhaps, they'd not much care either way; fine if he returns, fine if not. I can definitely see the suits and top brass pondering alternatives with a growing fondness. And any studio interested in Bond surely has a drawer in a desk somewhere marked 'Our Bond'.

We'll see...

#3987 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

Exactly.  With the long delays between films the general audience does not really care anymore about whether Craig will return or not.

This is a very different situation from Brosnan´s departure - people did want to see him do another one because he always was eager to stay in the role and his films came at reliable intervals.

From the start, the whole official narrative surrounding Craig indicated that this era would be a bumpy ride.

First, he always stated that he did not want to become Bond and had to be persuaded.  Afterwards he held out, dragged his feet and showed public disdain, having to backtrack afterwards but never displaying real enjoyment of the role, only in PR-friendly statements during the marketing of a film.

His demeanour always reminded me of Connery´s statement during YOLT.  But the difference is: Connery earned his dissatisfaction which mainly was based on the lack of financial and creative partnership with EON.  Craig got both - and still was not eager to move forward.

So, I do believe that fans would like to see him do one more - but general audiences would just shrug it off.  Sure, they would go to see the film.  But they would just as well - if not in bigger numbers - if BOND 25 featured a new guy.

#3988 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

Brosnan was already out in summer 04, does that tell something?

Edited by MISALA1994, 14 June 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#3989 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

Nope.

Craig also never said that there was an impasse.  B)

#3990 KB 007

KB 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:09 PM

With My Cousin Rachel out now I wouldn't be surprised to hear Sam Claflin's name pop up somewhere as a contender.