This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Adele's Skyfall (POLL ADDED)

2673 replies to this topic

Poll: Adele's Skyfall (POLL ADDED) (305 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of Adeles 'Skyfall'?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:02 PM

muse?!?! ewwwwwwwwwww!!!! i DETEST metal. the black eyed peas would be awesome though.

So... you seem to hate Muse but you'd suggest the Black Eyed Peas? Really? I'm not bashing your taste in music, I'm just trying to wrap my mind around that statement.

the black eyed peas sing happy music, not B)ty i-want-the-earth-to-explode-and-the-sky-to-turn-black-and-everyone-to-go-up-in-flames-and-blood-to-start-oozing-out-of-peoples'-bodies-and-zombies-to-eat-everyone metal.

Elizabeth, I don't think you've heard Muse. Here's some of their lyrics. Nothing about zombies eating everyone, although I would like to hear them sing a song about that.

You could be my unintended
Choice to live my life extended
You could be the one I'll always love

You could be the one who listens to my deepest inquisitions
You could be the one I'll always love

I'll be there as soon as I can
But I'm busy mending broken pieces of the life I had before

#242 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:51 PM

the black eyed peas sing happy music, not B)ty

Depends upon what your definition of "sing" is. If by "sing" you mean 'sounds like six tom-cats gang-banging a female cat up against a chalkboard', then yes, Fergie "sings", because by any other reasonable definition of the word she comes up woefully short. LADY HUMPS isn't exactly going to be remembered by music critics in the year 2309 like Beethoven is remembered 300 years later.

:tdown:

#243 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

well, whatever. i stand by what i said before.

#244 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:16 PM

I don't have anything against Black Eyed Peas, but even with the brand new friendship between Judi Dench and Fergie, BEP doesn't become all of a sudden in a classy act. IMO, nothing related with hip hop should be mixed with 007.

Let's show some class for Bond with Bowie or at least with Jarvis Cocker for the title song.

#245 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:15 PM

How about, and just think about it first - the Black Eyed Pea's ! I just listened to Fergie singing Meet me halfway and read the article that Judy Dench maybe in their next vid and thought hmm might just work. Thoughts?

That'll be a no then.

#246 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:40 PM

Depends upon what your definition of "sing" is. If by "sing" you mean 'sounds like six tom-cats gang-banging a female cat up against a chalkboard', then yes, Fergie "sings", because by any other reasonable definition of the word she comes up woefully short. LADY HUMPS isn't exactly going to be remembered by music critics in the year 2309 like Beethoven is remembered 300 years later.

The only good hit the Black Eyed Peas have ever had is the beat-down Will.I.Am put on Perez Hilton at the Canadian Music Awards a few months ago.

Everyone has different tastes.

I can't see the Black Eyed Peas getting to do a Bond theme, but I don't agree that good music always comes with a good voice. Those are different things. I'd much rather hear the original songwriter sing a song than someone with a better voice, for whom the lyrics are meaningless.

#247 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

The only good hit the Black Eyed Peas have ever had is the beat-down Will.I.Am put on Perez Hilton at the Canadian Music Awards a few months ago.

Everyone has different tastes.

I can't see the Black Eyed Peas getting to do a Bond theme, but I don't agree that good music always comes with a good voice. Those are different things. I'd much rather hear the original songwriter sing a song than someone with a better voice, for whom the lyrics are meaningless.

I agree.

Black Eyed Peas for the main title??!!! C'mon, they're way too tacky for Bond's level of class, I mean, what it would be next then... Eminem?!

#248 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

I can't stand The Black Eyed Peas, never have been able to, although Mr. I.AM has a certain amount of camp value (although I feel "value" is probably giving him too much credit). And no, I don't want them anywhere near Bond. But by the same token I don't think we'd want to disect the lyrics of Duran Duran ("I smell like I sound"? (in the same song with a do-do-do-do-do refrain) "You're about as easy a nuclear war"?), A-Ha ("Maybe it was over when you pushed me out the rover at full speed, maybe maybe"?) or Sheena Easton (her 9 to 5 makes Dolly's 9 to 5 look Kantian) either.

#249 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:15 AM

Good music may not always come with a good voice, but bad music almost always comes with a bad voice, and I offer Madonna's DAD as proof. Conversely, much better singers such as Shirley Manson of Garbage and Morten Harket of A-ha have delivered good, but not great, Bond songs.

Chris Cornell: great song, awful voice.
Sheena Easton: great voice, pretty good song

In MUSE's favor, I've pulled up four songs of theirs on YouTube and so far I'm impressed by the range and the different style; so far I haven't heard a bad song from them....yet. Conversely, I've yet to hear a single song from The Black-Eyed Peas that shows even the slightest modicum of songwriting talent or vocal ability. I mean, seriously. MY HUMPS?

Sample lyrics to My Humps :

What you gon’ do with all that junk?
All that junk inside your trunk?
I’ma get, get, get, get, you drunk,
Get you love drunk off my hump.
My hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump,
My hump, my hump, my hump, my lovely little lumps.

The only suggestion that could possibly be any more worthless would be Miley Cyrus or Lady Caca.

Fantastic. thanks for making me smile.

#250 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:29 AM

Chris Cornell: great song, awful voice.

Interesting. I consider it a good song, with one of the best voices in rock. Better Matt Belamy's in my opinion (at least you can hear what Cornell is say most of the time) though that's another story.

Sheena Easton: great voice, pretty good song

Awful song in my , and mediocre voice. She can't effectively sustain the longer notes, and doesn't have the vocal power and range.

#251 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:51 PM

i happened to enjoy cornell's vocals. great stuff.

#252 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:55 PM

i happened to enjoy cornell's vocals. great stuff.

Totally agree.
very stirring song, great voice

#253 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:07 AM

Depeche Mode
Duffy (Duffy - Warwick Avenue)

You know something? You might have something there with Depeche Mode. I could actually see that working. Good work!

They've been suggested for the last 8 Bond movies....

"If at first can't succeed Mr. Kidd....?

Then try try again Mr. Wint."

Yeah, quite! B)

Seriously, I hadn't realized some blokes had suggested them before. And 8 times no less! Anyways, if these blokes can actually get Depeche Mode to sing an actual title song then that would be fab and my post would be out of date.

#254 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:58 AM

Depeche Mode
Duffy (Duffy - Warwick Avenue)

You know something? You might have something there with Depeche Mode. I could actually see that working. Good work!

They've been suggested for the last 8 Bond movies....

"If at first can't succeed Mr. Kidd....?

Then try try again Mr. Wint."

Yeah, quite! B)

Seriously, I hadn't realized some blokes had suggested them before. And 8 times no less! Anyways, if these blokes can actually get Depeche Mode to sing an actual title song then that would be fab and my post would be out of date.

Alicia keys was suggested as early as the gbrosnan era... No word as to those who suggested her then are happy with the results or not but still Never say Never.

#255 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:33 AM

muse?!?! ewwwwwwwwwww!!!! i DETEST metal. the black eyed peas would be awesome though.

Not sure what's worse, your taste in music, or the fact that you think Muse is metal B)

I could actually see Metallica doing it. Just because they're metal doesnt mean they can't put out a pretty good sounding ballad (which they have done in the past, numerous times).

I would actually be quite ok with Katy Perry doing it. She has a good voice and she's al guilty pleasure of mine.

#256 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:28 AM

Eww no, she has a horrible nasally voice, and as for your "guilty pleasure" there are magazines for that Jimmy B)

#257 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:44 AM

I could actually see Metallica doing it. Just because they're metal doesnt mean they can't put out a pretty good sounding ballad (which they have done in the past, numerous times).

Actually Metallica isn't that bad of an idea. Not my first choice, but I could see it happening. Maybe. Eventually. In a camel's eye. Sadly.

#258 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:30 PM

Actually Metallica isn't that bad of an idea. Not my first choice, but I could see it happening. Maybe. Eventually. In a camel's eye. Sadly.

If we're going with that route (and if the producers would listen to us- hahaha yeah, right), I'd nominate Iron Maiden, though the chances of bands like Iron Maiden or Metallica being picked are damn near zero. Still, one can always dream.

#259 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:01 PM

Puff Diddy & Snoopy Doggie Dogg featuring The Game and the ghosts of Tupac Shakur and Jam Master Jay featuring the floating lips of Steven Tyler and Mick Jagger

#260 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

I know who are the ones that should NEVER perform a James Bond title song at all. Sean Combs, Rihanna, Macy Gray, Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Jonas Brothers, Adam Lambert, Britney Spears, Three 6 Mafia, 50 Cent, Eminem, Justin Timberlake, George Michael and Elton John.

#261 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:16 PM

LMAO. imagine a rap james bond song. i'd be laughing so hard everyone in the theater would be staring at me.

#262 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:25 PM

In all honesty I want to ask. Why not Mary J. Blige, George Michael or Elton John?

Okay, I can see why the strong masculine types would object the last two. But why not Mary J. Blige? It's not like she's only doing r 'n' b. I think she has at least few soul songs under her belt.

#263 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:45 AM

LMAO. imagine a rap james bond song. i'd be laughing so hard everyone in the theater would be staring at me.

Those 55 and older that still watch James Bond movies, might wonder what kind of stuff is that. They would not get it at all, and think of it as dum stuff of today's youth and what this world have become. Even if someone laughed at it they would not get that part either. They just turn and looke at the person, and have that facal expression of be quite. The only way for the 55 and older to understand are those that are Hollywood stars and directors, like Bruce Willis, Tommy Lee Jones, Danny Devito, Michael Douglas, Alec Baldwin, Linda Hunt, Bill Cosby, Carrie Fisher, Faye Dunaway and George Lacus

#264 Agent Leiter

Agent Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:52 AM

Tom Jones.

I'm not joking!

#265 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:30 AM

Tom Jones.

I'm not joking!

He could give it a try again since Thunderball. Just will it work today?

#266 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:32 AM

In all honesty I want to ask. Why not Mary J. Blige, George Michael or Elton John?

I can't comment on the first two, as I'm not really familiar with their work. But I think an Elton John Bond song would be pretty good, actually.

#267 Agent Leiter

Agent Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:53 AM

Tom Jones.

I'm not joking!

He could give it a try again since Thunderball. Just will it work today?

Well, one never knows for certain... but I imagine it would.

I feel that in many ways modern audiences are misjudged. A bit of nostalgia could be just what the doctor ordered for Bond 23!

#268 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:07 AM

How about these people singing any future James Bond title songs, The Cranberries, Phil Collins, Celine Dion, Andrea Bocelli, Mariah Carey, The Who, Glenn Frey, Diana Krall, Harry Connick Jr and Vanessa Williams.

How about John Murphy who wrote the score Mercado Nuevo for the movie Miami Vice. Maybe he can do a score for a whole James Bond movie. Mercado Nuevo was very good score.

Edited by Syndicate, 17 December 2009 - 03:30 PM.

#269 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

Those 55 and older that still watch James Bond movies, might wonder what kind of stuff is that. They would not get it at all, and think of it as dum stuff of today's youth and what this world have become. Even if someone laughed at it they would not get that part either. They just turn and looke at the person, and have that facal expression of be quite. The only way for the 55 and older to understand are those that are Hollywood stars and directors, like Bruce Willis, Tommy Lee Jones, Danny Devito, Michael Douglas, Alec Baldwin, Linda Hunt, Bill Cosby, Carrie Fisher, Faye Dunaway and George Lacus

i hate rap, too. it's all classic rock for me. i just think it would be absolutely hilarious with a rap song with all the usual slow-motion title sequence graphics.

#270 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

Don't forget the girl silhouettes wearing bling bling. Bond too.

And the title song should contain words "Guess (or alternately You KNOW) who's back wit a brand new track" B)