This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Adele's Skyfall (POLL ADDED)

2673 replies to this topic

Poll: Adele's Skyfall (POLL ADDED) (305 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of Adeles 'Skyfall'?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:15 PM

How about Vera Lynn?

(Just about the only act that one could with a reasonable degree of certainty say that Fleming would approve of.)

Though Winehouse and Ronson are working together again now - on her third album.

Are they? Good for them. I guess that means that the tiresome Winehouse-permanently-at-death's-door media circus will start up all over again in due course. I can already see the front page headlines of the tabloids in the summer of 2010: "AMY HAS FIVE MINUTES TO LIVE", "DOCS WARN WINEHOUSE WON'T SEE WINTER", "AMY SNORTS COKE EVERY HOUR AND BECOMES CLINICALLY DEAD TWICE A DAY - FAMILY'S CONCERN FOR STAR IN MELTDOWN", etc. B)

#182 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:37 PM

How about Vera Lynn?

(Just about the only act that one could with a reasonable degree of certainty say that Fleming would approve of.)

Actually I'm not sure if Fleming wouldn't have liked Rock. I remember the scene at The Boneyard when G-G Sumatra strip-danced to rhythmic drums. Apart from the obvious attraction of the dancer Bond seemed to also be susceptible to the raw energy the music transported to the audience (similarly in TMWTGG's stripper scene). Shame Fleming never wrote Bond on a Stones or Hendrix concert, we might have missed out on a surprise there.

#183 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:49 PM

Well, I'm thinking Vera Lynn in collaboration with modern songwriters and producers, a la Dame Burly Chassis' recent work with David Arnold, Manic Street Preachers, Pet Shop Boys and others.

"THE HILDEBRAND RARITY" - Performed by The Chemical Brothers Featuring Vera Lynn.

That sort of thing.

Actually, all joking aside, you can bet that Dame Vera's agent will have been inundated with bizarre proposals for the 92-year-old singer in the wake of her recent number one album.

#184 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

How about no title track? Outside of YKMN, I don't think that we have had a good one since Roger Moore was Bond. Having David Arnold come up with an original piece of instrumental music would be far superior than anything any of the currently popular artists could come up with.

#185 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

Well, I'm thinking Vera Lynn in collaboration with modern songwriters and producers, a la Dame Burly Chassis' recent work with David Arnold, Manic Street Preachers, Pet Shop Boys and others.

"THE HILDEBRAND RARITY" - Performed by The Chemical Brothers Featuring Vera Lynn.

That sort of thing.

Actually, all joking aside, you can bet that Dame Vera's agent will have been inundated with bizarre proposals for the 92-year-old singer in the wake of her recent number one album.

Really a spectacular feat, I bow my head. But would she be open to doing something 'modern'? She seemed to be pretty contend in doing her own part of the turf. Still, if she'd be willing to risk it I'm certainly up for it!

#186 Luke Pietnik

Luke Pietnik

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:10 PM

Hi everyone, first post here, so hello! B)

I reckon maybe La Roux or Muse.

We definately need something intelligent and credible after the travesty of 'Another Way to Die'.

Edited by Luke Pietnik, 29 September 2009 - 08:11 PM.

#187 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

How about no title track? Outside of YKMN, I don't think that we have had a good one since Roger Moore was Bond.

I thought both Dalton tracks were fantastic, TWINE was damn good too. An instrumental could be very interesting, but will it bother the studio that such a thing won't get any play on the radio? (I've never heard an instrumental played on commercial radio)

#188 RJJB

RJJB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:50 AM

I'm open on any artist, as I really am no that up to date on music knowledge. I usually end up liking the song for a while, just because it's associated with a Bond movie, Another Way to Die being a notable exception. I would really like it if the producers stepped away from rock artists and concentrated on having a good song.

The focus on having a title song that is designed to be a commercial hit has led to some really bad title tracks. I guess you can call me old fashioned, but I would prefer a singable ballad to some of the recent efforts.

#189 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:38 AM

Robbie Williams would have been good 10 years ago.

But he hasn't got Guy Chambers writing his songs anymore.

#190 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:42 AM

I'm open on any artist, as I really am no that up to date on music knowledge. I usually end up liking the song for a while, just because it's associated with a Bond movie, Another Way to Die being a notable exception. I would really like it if the producers stepped away from rock artists and concentrated on having a good song.

The focus on having a title song that is designed to be a commercial hit has led to some really bad title tracks. I guess you can call me old fashioned, but I would prefer a singable ballad to some of the recent efforts.

Same here!

#191 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:14 PM

i think paul mccartney should do another one! if not him, then my favorite beatle, ringo starr! the beatles are my favorite band and i think it would be awesome to see another paul song in a bond film. it'd be even cooler to see a ringo song in a bond film.

#192 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:45 AM

How about no title track? Outside of YKMN, I don't think that we have had a good one since Roger Moore was Bond.

I thought both Dalton tracks were fantastic, TWINE was damn good too. An instrumental could be very interesting, but will it bother the studio that such a thing won't get any play on the radio? (I've never heard an instrumental played on commercial radio)

I thought, while a-ha's "The Living Daylights" was pretty good, it just didn't really hold up as a truly great Bond title track in the way that songs like "Nobody Does it Better", "For Your Eyes Only", and "A View to a Kill" do. The title track for LTK, however, was terrible, and Patti LaBelle's "If You Asked Me To" (from the closing credits) would have made for a much better song to play over the sequence.

Since I do recognize that they'll never have a Bond film without the title sequence, I'll throw out a few artists I wouldn't mind performing the track:

Eddie Vedder (his work on the Into the Wild soundtrack was phenomenal)

P!nk (I would love them to have a good rock song by a female vocalist, and something in a similar style to P!nk's "Just Like a Pill" or "So What" might fit the bill, plus would be radio-friendly, which is what EON seems to be going for with the recent title tracks)

Lea Michele (former Broadway star and current TV-star on GLEE, it's only a matter of time before she becomes the next big thing on the music scene. Her cover of Rhianna's "Take a Bow" is phenomenal, and much better than the original, which I thought was quite good. A potential Bond title track by Michele in that style would be fantastic)

Larry Mullen Jr. & Adam Clayton (their interpretation of the "Mission: Impossible Theme" for the first Tom Cruise M:I film was great (and by far better than Bono & The Edge's work for "GoldenEye"), and I wouldn't mind seeing them perhaps tackle an instrumental title track.

#193 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

Seeing as we seem to be stuck with David Arnold for perpetuity, maybe he could write the next score and title track with french group Air. Both seem to do much their best work in collaboration with other artists.

As for vocalist, Paloma Faith is not exactly pretty, but I suppose she has the required blend of modern and retro. Whether anyone will even remember her when Bond 23 reaches post-production is another matter ...

#194 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

Seeing as we seem to be stuck with David Arnold for perpetuity, maybe he could write the next score and title track with french group Air.

That is not a bad idea. In fact an AIR produced instrumental track on a Bond film would be most welcome.

#195 Sark2.0

Sark2.0

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:30 PM

Jessica

Cliffs of Dover

YYZ

Moby Dick

I've heard all of these played. If, if, if (should I say it again?) they could make something with the quality of the FRWL instrumental theme I would be all for it.

#196 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:09 PM

Seeing as we seem to be stuck with David Arnold for perpetuity, maybe he could write the next score and title track with french group Air.

That is not a bad idea. In fact an AIR produced instrumental track on a Bond film would be most welcome.

Yep, that would be very welcome. Though it should be stressed that the whole score being a collaboration would be most desired.

It'll have to be damned good to equal the OHMSS instrumental though - it's still probably the best instrumental theme ever written for cinema (alongside the Morricone/Leone collaborations) - better than the Bond theme itself IMO.

#197 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:51 PM

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Muse get my vote

#198 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:34 PM

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Muse get my vote

The 'Knight Rider' intro is very cute.

Muse are definitely the top choice right now.

#199 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:26 PM

I thought, while a-ha's "The Living Daylights" was pretty good, it just didn't really hold up as a truly great Bond title track in the way that songs like "Nobody Does it Better", "For Your Eyes Only", and "A View to a Kill" do. The title track for LTK, however, was terrible, and Patti LaBelle's "If You Asked Me To" (from the closing credits) would have made for a much better song to play over the sequence.

Since I do recognize that they'll never have a Bond film without the title sequence, I'll throw out a few artists I wouldn't mind performing the track:

Eddie Vedder (his work on the Into the Wild soundtrack was phenomenal)

P!nk (I would love them to have a good rock song by a female vocalist, and something in a similar style to P!nk's "Just Like a Pill" or "So What" might fit the bill, plus would be radio-friendly, which is what EON seems to be going for with the recent title tracks)

Lea Michele (former Broadway star and current TV-star on GLEE, it's only a matter of time before she becomes the next big thing on the music scene. Her cover of Rhianna's "Take a Bow" is phenomenal, and much better than the original, which I thought was quite good. A potential Bond title track by Michele in that style would be fantastic)

Larry Mullen Jr. & Adam Clayton (their interpretation of the "Mission: Impossible Theme" for the first Tom Cruise M:I film was great (and by far better than Bono & The Edge's work for "GoldenEye"), and I wouldn't mind seeing them perhaps tackle an instrumental title track.

I'd agree Vedder's work on Into The Wild is fantastic and has had a great influence on Pearl Jam's latest album.

Although like those who've suggested David Gilmour sometime back neither artists would be interested in being attached to big budget high profile film which is based around violence .

Gilmour has no time for Hollywood and Vedder is not like is mate Cornell, Into The Wild was directed by his friend Sean Penn and had a message that Ed could relate to. I very much doubt Vedder could relate to Bond, knowing his work at the type of things that motivate him I don't see him being interested.

Mullen Jnr & Clayton just did a passable xerox of Schriffin's great theme and I'd rather have Bono's & The Edge's attempt which was their own compostition than some half baked cover version.

#200 Cabainus

Cabainus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 372 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:05 PM

Vera Lynn and Dizzee Rascal, surely a collaboration made in heaven!

As this is unfortunately unlikely though, my vote would go with Muse. I'm a big fan, and think they could produce something a bit special.

#201 Luke Pietnik

Luke Pietnik

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

Ooh no, that sounds terrible. That could result in something worse than AWTD. I think it'd be interesting to hear something a bit retro, maybe something reminiscent of the 80s themes. That's why I originally suggested La Roux.

#202 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:07 PM

Ooh no, that sounds terrible. That could result in something worse than AWTD. I think it'd be interesting to hear something a bit retro, maybe something reminiscent of the 80s themes. That's why I originally suggested La Roux.

Why the hell would you want to relive the eighties of all decades?

#203 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:33 AM

Maybe because there was actually a lot of interesting stuff going on in that decade (along with crap of course, but what decade didn't have crap?) that neither sneery "ugh...80s" analysts or "lol...80s" nostalgic ironists talk about.

#204 Mr. Van Bierk

Mr. Van Bierk

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:15 AM

I vote for Grace Jones.

#205 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

How about Elvis Costello?

An artist with over thirty years of experience under his belt and a repertoire ranging from punk to jazz to wave to soul to pop to rock to blues to country to a number of other styles and backwards. While Madonna has 'reinvented' herself countless times in her career Costello has truly evolved in the same time. While crossing borders and genres he still has kept his essential core and always remained Costello, regardless if in punk or jazz mode. And, contrary to Madonna, he always was touched by the respective styles he explored, always putting emotion, gusto and verve into his acts. (Sorry, Madonna fans. She is a 150 per cent professional and a hot act. But as a professional she's always ahead of herself, searching for the next big thing to sample and integrate into her show, not really spending the time to get affected by her bounty.)

Costello never did anything 'Bondian' in any way (to the best of my knowledge; I haven't heard all of his 30 plus records), but he certainly could, if called. And I daresay the product would be most interesting.

As he's not really done any thriller/Bond song up to now it's a bit pointless to suggest a specific song/album from him. Anyway, if you're not familiar with Costello yet check him out.

#206 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:21 PM

Maybe because there was actually a lot of interesting stuff going on in that decade (along with crap of course, but what decade didn't have crap?) that neither sneery "ugh...80s" analysts or "lol...80s" nostalgic ironists talk about.

Exactly.

It´s very funny - growing up in the 80´s, most people sneered at the 70´s. Now, it´s fashionable to laugh at the 80´s. In a few years, the 90´s will be ridiculed and so on. It´s just plain stupid to look down on fashion and style of a decade since it will always look outdated and "silly" to those who did not grow up then.

Considering the Bond songs of the 80´s there have been pretty good ones I must say.

However, the "title song of a movie"-idea is in itself outdated and a 50´s and 60´s relic. Bond films are (correct me if I´m wrong) the only films that have carried on with this tradition. That´s why it´s pretty difficult for EON to keep this up. I do hope that they will not give it up, however, since it is an important ingredient for the Bond films, IMO.

Personally, I hope for a relaxed and light hearted ballad next time, something like "Nobody does it better". I don´t care whether the singer is popular, actually. I just want him/her to be a good singer.

But I know, that´s not what this business is about.

#207 lu galasso

lu galasso

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

U2 is still my top choice. I think it's about time they throw their hats into the ring (Goldeneye notwithstanding.)

If not them, than a band in general. No more solos/duets. I want a real BAND in there this time.

#208 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

How about Rhianna? She just released a quite Bondian song called Russian Roulette.

Take a look:

#209 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:48 PM

How about Rhianna? She just released a quite Bondian song called Russian Roulette.

Take a look:

I'd be up for a Rihanna-performed title track.

I would like to see them go with another duet this time. I had been wanting one for a very long time, and was initially excited when I heard that QOS would feature a duet, but the finished product there was so disappointing that I would like to see them do another duet so that they can actually get it right this time around.

#210 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:59 PM

I still think Kasabian could do a good job if the producers decide to continue along the 'rock' style that we've seen in the last two movies.