This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Adele's Skyfall (POLL ADDED)

2673 replies to this topic

Poll: Adele's Skyfall (POLL ADDED) (305 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of Adeles 'Skyfall'?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

He just sings with a bigger, over the top passion that is not matched by his quite mainstream lyrics.

#152 qofsqofs

qofsqofs

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:37 AM

MY MORNING JACKET

Attached Files

#153 PotterBond007

PotterBond007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:14 AM

How 'bout Lisa Gerrard? I love "Now We Are Free".

Too bad Sinatra's not around anymore. He would have been good.

#154 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

U2 they will be touring again at that time, lots of good SONY tie in's

#155 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

Is anybody here up for Robbie? One of my favourites, pure English guy, magnificent songs, big variety.

#156 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

Is anybody here up for Robbie? One of my favourites, pure English guy, magnificent songs, big variety.

Not any more he's not. Sadly he has lost his way completely. His new release - BODIES - is an awfully dated song (and video) that sees his growing problem of over-writing songs whose verses have no bearing on the uber-anthem chorus the tracks are just gagging to throw at you. This track will not mark a comeback. For his personal sake I hope I am wrong (I met him years ago and he was a lovely guy), but he appears to be peddling the same old "this is me in the spotlight and we all want to be together as kids" musings which not only make no sense anymore they have become creatively threadbare.

So for that reason, I'm out.

#157 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

Not any more he's not. Sadly he has lost his way completely. His new release - BODIES - is an awfully dated song (and video) that sees his growing problem of over-writing songs whose verses have no bearing on the uber-anthem chorus the tracks are just gagging to throw at you. This track will not mark a comeback. For his personal sake I hope I am wrong (I met him years ago and he was a lovely guy), but he appears to be peddling the same old "this is me in the spotlight and we all want to be together as kids" musings which not only make no sense anymore they have become creatively threadbare.

So for that reason, I'm out.

Yeah, it seems I'm stuck in the good old times!

#158 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:26 AM

While I don't really want to defend the man (I'm sure he is a lovely man, but despite the odd good single, I've never rated him as a performer), isn't Bodies mostly "dated" in the same way a lot of the big singles this year have been "dated"; i.e. it's partly an 80s synth pop pastiche (with hints of Trevor Horn's "big" orchestral sound)? It is a pretty poor song though, I agree there.

#159 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:24 PM

Ok.. how about giving this guy a shot at the title for Bond 23...Judging by his reaction, Simon Cowell might just agree... *insert evil laugh* B)

#160 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

ALEX TURNER!!!!
From Artic Mokeys and Last Shadow Puppets
Properly amazing.

This song is pretty mucha Bond song, it sounds like it belongs in a Connery movie.
LISTEN!
(sorry caps, it tends to get hard to get people's attention in a thread like this)

#161 qofsqofs

qofsqofs

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:30 PM

I have to agree with the Last Shadow Puppets as they have a great bond sound. The whole album is great stuff.

#162 Jeao007

Jeao007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:36 PM

ALEX TURNER!!!!
From Artic Mokeys and Last Shadow Puppets
Properly amazing.

This song is pretty mucha Bond song, it sounds like it belongs in a Connery movie.
LISTEN!
(sorry caps, it tends to get hard to get people's attention in a thread like this)

Defiantly very Bond-ish sounding. B)

#163 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

Okay. I have spoken to the lawyers and the libel people at Zorin Industries HQ and come up with a notion (partly based on what I have heard today).

I don't want it to be shot down without thought and a look at the wider picture.....the audienceship and - most importantly - THE VOICE of the singer in question.

This singer is increasingly a big name in the States (don't underestimate that for a Bond song shortlist), has a Autumnal poignancy to her vocals (which is what the best Bond songs have) and sings with a feminine passion that some of the prettier pop tartlettes doing the rounds don't even dream of as they don't even have a clue that is what marks you out (note to Leona Lewis : just because you sing soul doesn't mean you have any).

And this singer in question has now done the unthinkable and covered a Rolling Stones classic that has reframed and redefined that in one take. Plus my suggestion wouldn't be the first to emerge from an unconventional route some scorn (usually me.....well, always me, apart from this one instance)....and croon a Bond song.

But this one track has added another name to our CBN BOND23 Title Tune Performers list...

Please note - I have the lawyers on hand and will take any forum attack as an assault on the good name of Zorin Industries PLC.

#164 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:41 PM

Sounds good to me.

Maybe they could put her in the title sequence, like Sheena Easton?

#165 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:42 PM

Okay. I have spoken to the lawyers and the libel people at Zorin Industries HQ and come up with a notion (partly based on what I have heard today).

I don't want it to be shot down without thought and a look at the wider picture.....the audienceship and - most importantly - THE VOICE of the singer in question.

This singer is increasingly a big name in the States (don't underestimate that for a Bond song shortlist), has a Autumnal poignancy to her vocals (which is what the best Bond songs have) and sings with a feminine passion that some of the prettier pop tartlettes doing the rounds don't even dream of as they don't even have a clue that is what marks you out (note to Leona Lewis : just because you sing soul doesn't mean you have any).

And this singer in question has now done the unthinkable and covered a Rolling Stones classic that has reframed and redefined that in one take. Plus my suggestion wouldn't be the first to emerge from an unconventional route some scorn (usually me.....well, always me, apart from this one instance)....and croon a Bond song.

But this one track has added another name to our CBN BOND23 Title Tune Performers list...

Please note - I have the lawyers on hand and will take any forum attack as an assault on the good name of Zorin Industries PLC.

You aiming for a bailout, aren't you? Burned your fingers with these sub-lime credits the Columbians and Mexicans offer for investments into 'pharmacology' plants and now your only hope is the government.

Shame, really has a voice, your singer.

#166 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:50 PM

Zorin, how about Ian Brown (the Tarantino of British music, if you ask me)?

Here's his new single - not particularly Bondian, but the video is terrific:

#167 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:53 PM

Not a wrong idea.

#168 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

Not a wrong idea.

I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to do a Bond song if asked, but it'll never happen because (criminally) he's a total unknown in the United States.

#169 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

And not - allegedly - the easiest person to work with. Though he did get involved with a HARRY POTTER film....(!).

#170 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:44 PM

And not - allegedly - the easiest person to work with.

Been talking to John Squire, eh, Zorin? :tdown:

I've had the pleasure of meeting Ian Brown - very briefly, and not in a social or professional setting, but at a signing (no, I wasn't signing for him, he was signing for me B) ) - and I can report that he was pleasant, polite and surprisingly down-to-earth. I'm a great believer that you should steer clear of meeting your idols lest they turn out to be utter bastards (I'd hate it if I met Stallone and thought he was he a jerk), but on this occasion it didn't hold true.

Rather more substantially, a friend of a friend worked on one of his solo albums and tells me that he's the salt of the earth once you've earned his respect.

#171 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:17 PM

Pixie Lott.

#172 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:23 PM

(I'd hate it if I met Stallone and thought he was he a jerk),

If that's the case then avoid him at all costs. B)

#173 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:04 AM

So Muse have said they want it!

They got my vote.

#174 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

Yes, the new Muse album is first class
I really think Muse would be good

#175 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:43 PM

Yep, it's a great album - give'm the gig already!

#176 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:10 PM

Kasabian, Muse and The Killers are my top choices.

#177 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:01 AM

Saw Florence and the Machine on Jools Holland's show last night...

It's a wacky thought, but she could maybe turn in a pretty original and compelling theme. She's like an angry Kate Bush! Would give the opening titles a new diva that wasn't remotely a Shirley Bassey rip-off.

#178 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

Speculation is obviously fun, but as the film is potentially two years away and all manner of so-far-unknown musical talent could swipe the title tune spot down the line, it seems a bit redundant to speculate that much.

Though Winehouse and Ronson are working together again now - on her third album. I would suggest that is not an avenue for Bond that has been completely closed off. Let's see where we are in the Summer of 2011.

#179 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:46 PM

Speculation is obviously fun, but as the film is potentially two years away and all manner of so-far-unknown musical talent could swipe the title tune spot down the line, it seems a bit redundant to speculate that much.

Though Winehouse and Ronson are working together again now - on her third album. I would suggest that is not an avenue for Bond that has been completely closed off. Let's see where we are in the Summer of 2011.

I want to point out I agree with Zorin ANYTHING is possible. I know for a facrt yes are going into the studio this winter for a new album. they could come out with another 90125 and become huge again big enough that eon would want them. I know everyone says "Impossible" but If i said Chris Cornell would be big again and do a bond theme in 2002 Many would laugh at me saying "Cornell is relic of the early 90's grundge movement and has no place in a Bond film"

We'll see where we are things may actually work out that i get what i want and hopefully those I consider friends on here like Eurospy, Zorin, and Mharkin and yes even Captain tightpants also enjoy "what i want" :tdown:

B)

#180 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:48 PM

No, YES will not be doing a Bond song. ;o)