This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Adele's Skyfall (POLL ADDED)

2673 replies to this topic

Poll: Adele's Skyfall (POLL ADDED) (305 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of Adeles 'Skyfall'?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#211 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:08 PM

I still think Kasabian could do a good job if the producers decide to continue along the 'rock' style that we've seen in the last two movies.

West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum was the second-best album of the year. After Them Crooked Vultutes. I could see them doing something for a Bond theme, like this song, Bandoliers. Or maybe something like Caligulove.

#212 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:46 AM

After hearing "No good about goodbye", why not give Shirley Bassey one more turn, with David Arnold?

#213 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:58 AM

I still think Kasabian could do a good job if the producers decide to continue along the 'rock' style that we've seen in the last two movies.

West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum was the second-best album of the year. After Them Crooked Vultutes. I could see them doing something for a Bond theme, like this song, Bandoliers. Or maybe something like Caligulove.

Agreed West Ryder is a top album and would definitley welcome Kasabiam stepping up to the plate, they've managed to show more development in one album than Oasis could show in an entire career and the only band that seem to have tried to take the baton the Stone Rose put out.

#214 Fro

Fro

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:28 PM

How about Elvis Costello?

Costello never did anything 'Bondian' in any way (to the best of my knowledge; I haven't heard all of his 30 plus records), but he certainly could, if called. And I daresay the product would be most interesting.

As he's not really done any thriller/Bond song up to now it's a bit pointless to suggest a specific song/album from him. Anyway, if you're not familiar with Costello yet check him out.

This Paul McCartney/Costello penned track is very Bondian.

http://www.clevver.c...like-candy.html
(awesome Paul & Elvis demo)

#215 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:32 PM

What about TCV's Warsaw?

After hearing "No good about goodbye", why not give Shirley Bassey one more turn, with David Arnold?

No, David Arnold is why NGAGB doesn't work. It's an uninspired, Bondian pastiche.

Give me Goldfrapp any day, as long as Arnold isn't producing/composing.

Edited by The Shark, 29 November 2009 - 03:35 PM.

#216 Jeao007

Jeao007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:36 PM

How about no title track? Outside of YKMN, I don't think that we have had a good one since Roger Moore was Bond. Having David Arnold come up with an original piece of instrumental music would be far superior than anything any of the currently popular artists could come up with.

I agree.

#217 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:42 PM

How about no title track? Outside of YKMN, I don't think that we have had a good one since Roger Moore was Bond. Having David Arnold come up with an original piece of instrumental music would be far superior than anything any of the currently popular artists could come up with.

I agree.

Even better - have Thomas Newman or Howard Shore score it.

#218 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:09 AM

Costello never did anything 'Bondian' in any way (to the best of my knowledge; I haven't heard all of his 30 plus records), but he certainly could, if called. And I daresay the product would be most interesting.

As he's not really done any thriller/Bond song up to now it's a bit pointless to suggest a specific song/album from him. Anyway, if you're not familiar with Costello yet check him out.

http://www.clevver.c...like-candy.html
(awesome Paul & Elvis demo)

Great find! Didn't know about that one. Many thanks! Perhaps shows a bit why I find Costello would be a rather good choice.

Fans of the 'traditional' 60's sound may find a newer act, relatively speaking, interesting.

Codein Velvet Club, Jon Lawler's current pastime. Following Last Shadow Puppets on their trip backwards, this outfit shows 'John Barry played by a rock'n roll band'. For me they are just that tyniest little bit too 'retro', but I can see their appeal.

Check out: Vanity kills and Little Sister. Particularly interesting is their album preview.

#219 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:53 AM

A duet but before you all moan and groan the duet for bond 23 would be

Paul Mcartney and Ringo Starr

B) I'd love it.

#220 Armstrong Sabian

Armstrong Sabian

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:53 AM

Costello never did anything 'Bondian' in any way...

I've always thought this one sounded almost "Bondian" (once you get past the deceptively lovely intro -- and also ignore the video and just listen to the song):

#221 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:14 PM

Costello never did anything 'Bondian' in any way...

I've always thought this one sounded almost "Bondian" (once you get past the deceptively lovely intro -- and also ignore the video and just listen to the song):

Good call, didn't even think about it although I've got Blood & Chocolate.

Also quite a bit thriller-ish: When I Was Cruel No 2

#222 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

How about, and just think about it first - the Black Eyed Pea's ! I just listened to Fergie singing Meet me halfway and read the article that Judy Dench maybe in their next vid and thought hmm might just work. Thoughts?

#223 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:16 PM

Muse
Depeche Mode
Amy Winehouse
Adele

...and I thought I would never say it, but there is something potentially very apt and right about casting Lady Gaga to maximise every angle and requirement the Bond song needs these days.....

#224 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

How about, and just think about it first - the Black Eyed Pea's ! I just listened to Fergie singing Meet me halfway and read the article that Judy Dench maybe in their next vid and thought hmm might just work. Thoughts?

How about....NO!?! Fergie can't hold her bladder, much less a note. Get a real singer/group: I jumped on the MUSE bandwagon over the weekend. I can't think of any other group out there that is even remotely as qualified to do the next song the way MUSE is. They've got it all.

Depends which way they go with the song. I don't care for...oh, I'd say somewhere in the vicinity of half their older stuff, nor do I care for their latest album. Now, Absolution and Black Holes and Revelations are two fantastic albums, I think. And honestly even then, I'm not very wild about Muse. Either in terms of my own taste or in terms of a Bond theme.

#225 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

Lets run with Black Eyed Peas for a moment.

Rumour has it Bond 23 will visit New York.

Judy Dench appearing in their lastes video.

If the film is called Property of a Lady, we could have some interplay between Ferie and the boys.

Im still a MUSE man myself, but I got a Feeling...

#226 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

Why not somebody older, with a bit more experience? Would Sarah Brightman be up for it?

#227 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:38 PM

muse?!?! ewwwwwwwwwww!!!! i DETEST metal. the black eyed peas would be awesome though.

#228 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:18 AM

I say either let Michael Buble have a try at it or maybe have Paramore. i think i girl Rock might be different yet good though.

#229 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:19 PM

michael buble would be pretty sick too.

#230 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

muse?!?! ewwwwwwwwwww!!!! i DETEST metal. the black eyed peas would be awesome though.

Muse = metal? Well now there's a first. I've always considered them symphonic rock. Now, if we're on metal, I'd say go for a power metal band, but any style of metal isn't right for Bond, imo.

#231 singleentendre

singleentendre

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:09 PM

Did anyone hear "Smoke Without Fire" by Duffy from An Education? Perfect movie all around and, in my opinion, more proof that Duffy would make an excellent Bond song.

#232 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:30 AM

Depeche Mode
Duffy (Duffy - Warwick Avenue)

You know something? You might have something there with Depeche Mode. I could actually see that working. Good work!

#233 Jeao007

Jeao007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:34 AM

Muse = metal? Well now there's a first. I've always considered them symphonic rock. Now, if we're on metal, I'd say go for a power metal band, but any style of metal isn't right for Bond, imo.

Yeah, Muse is definitely not metal. If there were to be a metal song in a Bond film they should pick something good, like slayer.... No, just kidding. My personal choice would be The Depeche Mode for the next title song.
This is a good one; it's the single from their latest album.

Edited by Jeao007, 09 December 2009 - 01:35 AM.

#234 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:09 AM

So... you seem to hate Muse but you'd suggest the Black Eyed Peas? Really? I'm not bashing your taste in music, I'm just trying to wrap my mind around that statement.

Anyway.

Bands I'd suggest, in no particular order-

Kasabian
Radiohead
Muse
Brazilian Girls

Someone mentioned Trent Reznor and I agree even though I'd normally be against something like that because I wouldn't associate NIN (and I'm a fan) with Bond. If we're talking instrumentals... that wouldn't be such a bad idea. Ghosts I-IV was a damn good instrumental album, in my opinion.

#235 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:59 AM

Not big on Kasabian, I know they're big this year because of WRPA, but they seem really one note to me, a Stone Roses rip-off.

Edited by The Shark, 09 December 2009 - 03:59 AM.

#236 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:48 AM

Depeche Mode

You know something? You might have something there with Depeche Mode. I could actually see that working. Good work!

They've been suggested for the last 8 Bond movies....

#237 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:51 AM

Depeche Mode

They've been suggested for the last 8 Bond movies....

"If at first can't succeed Mr. Kidd....?

Then try try again Mr. Wint."

#238 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:16 PM

So... you seem to hate Muse but you'd suggest the Black Eyed Peas? Really? I'm not bashing your taste in music, I'm just trying to wrap my mind around that statement.

the black eyed peas sing happy music, not B)ty i-want-the-earth-to-explode-and-the-sky-to-turn-black-and-everyone-to-go-up-in-flames-and-blood-to-start-oozing-out-of-peoples'-bodies-and-zombies-to-eat-everyone metal.

Edited by elizabeth, 09 December 2009 - 10:25 PM.

#239 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:59 PM

the black eyed peas sing happy music, not B)ty i-want-the-earth-to-explode-and-the-sky-to-turn-black-and-everyone-to-go-up-in-flames-and-blood-to-start-oozing-out-of-peoples'-bodies-and-zombies-to-eat-everyone metal.

The Black Eyed Peas do sing very happy music, I must admit.

#240 Jeao007

Jeao007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:00 PM

I wouldn't call the Black Eyed Peas music...