1332 replies to this topic

#1081 Quincy

Quincy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

But be sure to keep watching, seasons 4 and 5 are also great.

So I've heard. Don't worry, no way I abandon this masterpiece. B)

#1082 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

Doctor Who-The Time of Angels and Flesh and Stone. Fantastic two parter.

#1083 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:52 AM

NOBLE HOUSE B) 1988

Starring Pierce Brosnan, John Rhys-Davies, Deborah Raffin

Basically like Dallas, Dynasty, or Falcon Crest, except set in Hong Kong and dealing with the British fighting with the Chinese over the financial markets. Good miniseries. I love the location work; you don't often see that kind of extensive location shooting anymore.

I didn't know Brosnan's Bond had made a movie/TV show with General Pushkin?

#1084 USANetwork

USANetwork

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

For those of you guys (and I'd assume this is most of you, given you're watching Burn Notice and Chuck) into spy TV shows, I wanted to let you know about the newest addition to USA Network. It's just that - a spy show, Covert Affairs!

Boasting an impressive cast and a real-life look at the CIA; helped by Bourne producer Doug Liman, I think you guys are really going to enjoy it. Unlike any other show on the air, this is going to focus on life in the CIA in the real world, not fantasy based or whimsical missions like other shows. They got their details right, too...down to little things like enforcing the no cell phone policy or the agency encouraging inter-office dating. Hope many of you are willing to check it out Tuesday, July 13th at 10!

Just to remind you guys, Covert Affairs premieres tonight at 10/9c!

#1085 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:17 AM

Watched Covert Affairs the other night. Very good spy show, and one that I would feel very confident in recommending to people on these boards, especially if you like Alias, Chuck, or Burn Notice (just based on the Pilot episode, it's very similar to Alias). Piper Perabo is great in the Pilot, as I wasn't sure how she would handle a spy role after seeing her in such films as COYOTE UGLY and the Steve Martin CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN films, but she does quite well here. I liked that, while it shares many similarities with Alias, it doesn't take itself ultra-seriously, allowing for some light-hearted moments here and there, perhaps making it fall somewhere between Alias and Chuck in terms of its style.

#1086 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:34 AM

It is, isn't it? Have you just started, or are you refreshing yourself with Who? :)

#1087 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:04 AM

Watched Covert Affairs the other night. Very good spy show, and one that I would feel very confident in recommending to people on these boards, especially if you like Alias, Chuck, or Burn Notice (just based on the Pilot episode, it's very similar to Alias). Piper Perabo is great in the Pilot, as I wasn't sure how she would handle a spy role after seeing her in such films as COYOTE UGLY and the Steve Martin CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN films, but she does quite well here. I liked that, while it shares many similarities with Alias, it doesn't take itself ultra-seriously, allowing for some light-hearted moments here and there, perhaps making it fall somewhere between Alias and Chuck in terms of its style.

Glad you liked Covert Affairs. I DVR'd it but have not yet watched it, will probably get around to it tonight.

#1088 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:02 AM

Been watching 3 shows lately. Been switching between the first seasons of both Castle and Bones, and I'm enjoying both so far. I've also finished the first season of Avatar: The Last Airbender, not too bad either.

#1089 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:23 AM

Been watching 3 shows lately. Been switching between the first seasons of both Castle and Bones, and I'm enjoying both so far. I've also finished the first season of Avatar: The Last Airbender, not too bad either.

Glad to see another CASTLE fan. Great show, and the team of Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic is one of the best on TV.

#1090 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:58 AM

Glad to see another CASTLE fan. Great show, and the team of Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic is one of the best on TV.

It's quite fun too. I've been getting tired of the more serious cop dramas. I like how its more lighthearted, mainly do to Fillion. I read on Wikipedia that the relationship of Brennan and Booth from Bones was a partial inspiration for the team on Castle. If that's true, I think that Castle does it better, though I'm only a few episodes into Bones.

#1091 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:09 AM

It's quite fun too. I've been getting tired of the more serious cop dramas. I like how its more lighthearted, mainly do to Fillion. I read on Wikipedia that the relationship of Brennan and Booth from Bones was a partial inspiration for the team on Castle. If that's true, I think that Castle does it better, though I'm only a few episodes into Bones.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was an inspiration for it. From what I've read, the executives at ABC see Castle as their answer to Bones (which is a big reason why they stuck by it after a very shaky first season in the ratings, when everyone else thought it was going to be axed rather quickly), so perhaps the creative team behind the show thinks the same way. I do agree with you completely on the point that Castle does the Castle/Beckett relationship far better than Bones does the Booth/Brennan relationship. IMO, it's not even a contest.

I watched Bones for a while, but found my interest waning considerably after the first season. I thought the first season was superb stuff, some of the best crime drama on TV, but then things started to falter from there on out. Now that it's available for instant streaming on Netflix, I may go back through Seasons 2 through the present to re-evaluate the show, but I can't say I was impressed by what I've seen after Season 1, especially the episodes I've seen from this past season.

Castle, on the other hand, is a show that gets considerably better in its second season. I thoroughly enjoyed the first season, but the second season is on an entirely different level. Both Fillion and Katic significantly raise their game in the second season. The writers take the audience further into the private lives of both characters and then bring some of that into the workplace, and it's just done so spectacularly well that it's easy to see why the ratings for the show have really taken off and have earned the show a third season and have set it up for continued success for many years to come. If you liked Season 1, which it sounds like you do, you'll really be impressed with Season 2. It's simply fantastic, and hopefully now that the show is really on the radar, Season 3 will hopefully take Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic to the stardom that both truly deserve.

#1092 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:14 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was an inspiration for it. From what I've read, the executives at ABC see Castle as their answer to Bones (which is a big reason why they stuck by it after a very shaky first season in the ratings, when everyone else thought it was going to be axed rather quickly), so perhaps the creative team behind the show thinks the same way. I do agree with you completely on the point that Castle does the Castle/Beckett relationship far better than Bones does the Booth/Brennan relationship. IMO, it's not even a contest.

I watched Bones for a while, but found my interest waning considerably after the first season. I thought the first season was superb stuff, some of the best crime drama on TV, but then things started to falter from there on out. Now that it's available for instant streaming on Netflix, I may go back through Seasons 2 through the present to re-evaluate the show, but I can't say I was impressed by what I've seen after Season 1, especially the episodes I've seen from this past season.

Castle, on the other hand, is a show that gets considerably better in its second season. I thoroughly enjoyed the first season, but the second season is on an entirely different level. Both Fillion and Katic significantly raise their game in the second season. The writers take the audience further into the private lives of both characters and then bring some of that into the workplace, and it's just done so spectacularly well that it's easy to see why the ratings for the show have really taken off and have earned the show a third season and have set it up for continued success for many years to come. If you liked Season 1, which it sounds like you do, you'll really be impressed with Season 2. It's simply fantastic, and hopefully now that the show is really on the radar, Season 3 will hopefully take Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic to the stardom that both truly deserve.

Sounds great! already looking forward to season 2. Glad to hear that it shows more of their personal lives. Some of my favorite scenes so far have been with Castle and his daughter, hopefully will be seeing more of those.

#1093 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:19 AM

Sounds great! already looking forward to season 2. Glad to hear that it shows more of their personal lives. Some of my favorite scenes so far have been with Castle and his daughter, hopefully will be seeing more of those.

There's definitely more of that. Those are some of my favorite moments as well. The girl that plays Castle's daughter is extremely talented, as is the actress who plays his mother, who we also get to (thankfully) see more of in the second season. There's also some interesting things that they do with Beckett's background, and they do a really good job of really setting those things up for the future as well. It's some brilliant stuff. The other highlight of Season 2 is the two-part episode later on in the season that was, honestly, some of the best TV I saw all of this past season.

I just wish that they would put it on a different night, perhaps Tuesday at 10 instead of Monday. It makes for a very difficult decision to make between Monday Night Football and Castle, especially this year now that my Jets are on a few times on Monday Night. Thankfully there's always DVR.

#1094 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:23 AM

There's definitely more of that. Those are some of my favorite moments as well. The girl that plays Castle's daughter is extremely talented, as is the actress who plays his mother, who we also get to (thankfully) see more of in the second season. There's also some interesting things that they do with Beckett's background, and they do a really good job of really setting those things up for the future as well. It's some brilliant stuff. The other highlight of Season 2 is the two-part episode later on in the season that was, honestly, some of the best TV I saw all of this past season.

I just wish that they would put it on a different night, perhaps Tuesday at 10 instead of Monday. It makes for a very difficult decision to make between Monday Night Football and Castle, especially this year now that my Jets are on a few times on Monday Night. Thankfully there's always DVR.

Yup, going to have to dvr the 3rd season until I get caught up.

#1095 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:20 AM

It is, isn't it? Have you just started, or are you refreshing yourself with Who? :)

Pretty much refreshing myself. I have a little brother you see who has started to get into the series this year and he's kinda gone all Who crazy this past year. He's been watching my boxsets so I'm kinda rewatching them all again with him.

Last series I watched myself was the first two episodes of Ashes to Ashes. Bought the complete boxset there at the weekend.

#1096 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

Jerry Springer.

#1097 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:24 PM

Finished the first season of Castle. Man, what a great show. I do have two complaints though. First, their was not enough episodes for season one, and the second, I have to wait until September to watch season two.

#1098 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:42 AM

Watched the second episode of COVERT AFFAIRS. Just like the Pilot, this episode was a very strong one, and Piper Perabo turns in another solid performance, already showing signs of settling into the role. Can't wait to see where they take this show heading forward, because they've established a very strong base from which to build.

Finished the first season of Castle. Man, what a great show. I do have two complaints though. First, their was not enough episodes for season one, and the second, I have to wait until September to watch season two.

Definitely agreed on there not being enough episodes in Season 1. As a midsseason show, it would have been nice for it to have at least gotten 13 episodes instead of the 10 it got (but at least ABC stuck by it, as just about everyone out there was saying it was a lock for cancellation). At least they made up for it in Season 2, ordering an additional 2 episodes to make S2's total 24 instead of the standard 22 episode order.

#1099 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

Watched the second episode of COVERT AFFAIRS. Just like the Pilot, this episode was a very strong one, and Piper Perabo turns in another solid performance, already showing signs of settling into the role. Can't wait to see where they take this show heading forward, because they've established a very strong base from which to build.

Definitely agreed on there not being enough episodes in Season 1. As a midsseason show, it would have been nice for it to have at least gotten 13 episodes instead of the 10 it got (but at least ABC stuck by it, as just about everyone out there was saying it was a lock for cancellation). At least they made up for it in Season 2, ordering an additional 2 episodes to make S2's total 24 instead of the standard 22 episode order.

Looking forward to Season 2 of "CASTLE" when it is released on DVD!

In the meantime I´m growing very attached to "BURN NOTICE". I´m watching Season Three right now and it´s really a very entertaining spy caper show which holds the balance between fun-filled silliness and gritty realism pretty well. To think that I avoided this show for some years because I thought it would be cheesy or a boring procedual...

#1100 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

#1101 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:22 AM

Matt Houston and The Wild, Wild West

#1102 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:24 PM

I'm really liking Covert Affairs as well. Tdalton, it really seems that we watch all the same shows. My favorites are Burn Notice, Castle, Chuck, White Collar 24 and my wife even has me locked into Glee.

#1103 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:06 PM

The IT Crowd

Very shambolic production, but some convincing characters.

#1104 USANetwork

USANetwork

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

Glad you liked Covert Affairs. I DVR'd it but have not yet watched it, will probably get around to it tonight.

Awesome, so glad you guys liked the series. Piper's definitely one that can carry a show as the lead and the way that she interacts with Chris Gorham should definitely remind you of the lead chemistry in other great USA shows (White Collar for sure, as Bomer and DeKay work so well).

Jaguar, you can watch episodes on the official site or on Hulu if you missed them..or from your DVR!

#1105 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

The Justified series finale. Wow! What an ending! I've been really impressed with this 13-part series and I hope we see a second series very soon. Timothy Olyphant is a very talented actor, and the superbly written script for this show really gave him a great platform for to show what he's made of. Awesome stuff.

#1106 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:28 AM

Last night's Covert Affairs. Easily the weakest of the three episodes, but still fairly enjoyable.

#1107 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:38 AM

The Justified series finale. Wow! What an ending! I've been really impressed with this 13-part series and I hope we see a second series very soon. Timothy Olyphant is a very talented actor, and the superbly written script for this show really gave him a great platform for to show what he's made of. Awesome stuff.

I agree this is a great series. I was unsure about it at first, but the second half of the season really picked up, and all the scenes between Tim O and Walton Goggins were electric. I can't wait to see how their 'frenemy' relationship goes after the events of the finale.

#1108 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:19 AM

Jersey Shore. Season 2 premiere tonight! :D

#1109 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

#1110 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

Burn Notice. A good Fi centered episode.