#301 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:04 AM

Ok I give, what the heck is TWILIGHT?

A movie based on a trilogy of popular books. It had some interesting sequences and Kristen Stewart was particularly notable in the lead role. I actually enjoyed TWILIGHT more than Quantum of Solace.

I am glad TWILIGHT was at the top spot this week (very deservedly so in my opinion) as this hopefully will lead to the other two books getting filmed.

That's good to hear. I was waiting for someone with a similar taste in movies to my own to weigh in with an opinion on this one before I decided on whether or not it might be worth the effort to see the film at some point. Like killkenny kid, I don't have a whole lot of an idea as to what the film is about, but after being completely blown away by Stewart's performance in Into the Wild (as well as other roles in smaller independent films), I'd been wanting to see her in a bit more substantial role than the ones she's had in the films of hers I've seen.

I don't, however, see myself enjoying this one anywhere near as much as I enjoyed Quantum of Solace, but it does look like it could be an interesting movie experience.

#302 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:17 AM

I was expecting $120 Million by this weekend. A bit optimistic it seems. But I hope a 30 million next weekend including the Thanksgiving holiday. Along hopefully with a solid $8-10M from the week should bring it up to $150 mill by the end of the week, and still looking on course to beat CR's 167 mill. :(
Twilight also got mixed reviews, lets see the dropoff for the 2nd week for that one, although I don't know how much repeatability the picture will get from its primarily teenage audience

#303 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

To YOLT:

My worry is how fast QoS will drop. Christmas week, CR was still pulling in $1.3M per day. Good numbers that kept it on over 1500 screens. DAD was averaging about $1M per day during that Christmas period, holding over 1800 screens.

But the QoS numbers are falling off faster and it opened a week earlier. My worry is that it will hold fewer theaters than CR or DAD, and that will cut its numbers.

But it did ok this weekend compared to last. Now if I could just have 10% of this weekend, I might never go back to work again in my life.

You asked why I compared this film to Madagascar 2. Well, anyone who brings up the Bourne films is roundly told that they don't count because movie-going patterns are different in the summer. And anyone who brings up CR (or Harry Potter) is told that isn't a good comparison because its second week is Thanksgiving week. But Madagascar 2 is a fall opening, this year, and its second week was not Thanksgiving. While it has a largely family audience, its opening weekend is very close to that of QoS. If it is holding on better, I think that is a fair comparison. While people can chirp that Twilight ate up some of Bond's potential this weekend, the same is true of Madagascar 2' s second week - Bond was strong competition for many who would go see it (with or without the kids).

QoS is slipping faster.

But I still hope it can get to $200M

Keep dancing...

To Bonita:

I am not expecting a miracle from QOS. However if it can do a little bit more, 600m$ target will be accoplished.

First international numbers:

I think as of now %70 (whereas in Germany its %80 or %85, in Austrilia its %20-%25, %70 is the average number) of the revenue is gained from the markets (except Japan)

So if 309m$ is %70 than %100 will be about 440m$. Plus 25 or 30m$ from Japan we got a total of 470m$ as international revenues.

Under 400m$ seems a disaster to me. I think 440m$-470m$ is possible, which will pass CR's international numbers.

USA:

We got 110m$ as of now. I think %60 of the job is done. If so 183m$ will be the total revenue. I think QOS will finish between 175m$-190m$.

Total:
Even when we calculate the lowest numbers: 440+175=615m$

There is no way that QOS will finish under 600m$.

#304 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:28 PM

Latest is US$ 309 million for International. [This number is hurt by the strength of the US Dollar since Dec '06]

US$ 110 Domestic. [This number is ahead of CR which had the advantage of US Thanksgiving being it's 2nd weekend.]

Total = $419 million.

TWILIGHT's audience was 75 percent female and 55 percent under the age of 25.

It was good to see Quantum come in ahead of Disney's BOLT, which was the biggest dissapointment of the weekend.

#305 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:31 PM

I think that's a mistake, Nikki Finke said that it has made $418 total worldwide. That number sounds TOO amazing for such a short timeframe.

Yep. BOM has corrected it. They have a tendency to make mistakes like that (as does IMDB, when it listed Get Smart as having made something like $8 billion).

#306 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:40 PM

Even when we calculate the lowest numbers: 440+175=615m$

There is no way that QOS will finish under 600m$.

Agreed. Even $650 million is looking very likely. I'd be surprised if it cracks $500 million overseas, but it still stands a good chance of taking the #1 spot for the year in that category. Given that the dollar is much stronger now than in the summer (when Indy and TDK were released), that would be a tremendous victory for QoS.

Coupled with hitting the $200 million mark in the US, there would be just no way to spin it as anything but a colossal success and a reaffirmation of the public's enthusiastic approval of Daniel Craig as James Bond... although I'm sure some will still try to portray it as a failure, much to our amusement. :(

Latest is US$ 309 million for International. [This number is hurt by the strength of the US Dollar since Dec '06]

And yet it still had far better openings in most markets than CR did. Incredible.

#307 kneelbeforezod

kneelbeforezod

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:41 PM

I see from the bottom of this page that Jim is loitering in this thread... it can't be long before he jabs a red hot poker up our bottoms for worrying about box office figures! :(

#308 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:46 PM

If Q0S's world-wide is the same as CR, then it would have done a fine job given how the weak US Dollar inflated CR's international grosses.

Look at the Pound, for example. It was was worth 1.98 US dollars in Dec 06. Now it's only worth 1.50 USDs.

It means Q0S has to work harder than CR in the UK market to generate the same dollar numbers.

I see from the bottom of this page that Jim is loitering in this thread... it can't be long before he jabs a red hot poker up our bottoms for worrying about box office figures! :)

Jim, it's High Time To Kill that you amalgamated the two box office threads.

C'mon Jim, deep six one of them into the other. Be a real man!!! :)

:(

#309 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:00 PM

A movie based on a trilogy of popular books. It had some interesting sequences and Kristen Stewart was particularly notable in the lead role. I actually enjoyed TWILIGHT more than Quantum of Solace.

I am glad TWILIGHT was at the top spot this week (very deservedly so in my opinion) as this hopefully will lead to the other two books getting filmed.

So, I guess you liked the scary chick flic "Twilight" better than QoS? :(

#310 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:19 PM

Jim, it's High Time To Kill that you amalgamated the two box office threads.

C'mon Jim, deep six one of them into the other. Be a real man!!! :)

:(

As requested.

#311 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

Som for this week as of end of 30.11.2008:

International: 355m$
US: 140m$
Total: 495m$

#312 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:08 PM

That's good to hear. I was waiting for someone with a similar taste in movies to my own to weigh in with an opinion on this one before I decided on whether or not it might be worth the effort to see the film at some point. Like killkenny kid, I don't have a whole lot of an idea as to what the film is about, but after being completely blown away by Stewart's performance in Into the Wild (as well as other roles in smaller independent films), I'd been wanting to see her in a bit more substantial role than the ones she's had in the films of hers I've seen.

I don't, however, see myself enjoying this one anywhere near as much as I enjoyed Quantum of Solace, but it does look like it could be an interesting movie experience.

I like both movies, but I got more fun out of TWILIGHT. I would not say it was a great movie by any stretch of the imagination but it had some good sequences and Stewart really gave an excellent performance.

The basic storyline revolves around Stewarts character who moves to live with her father in Washington State because her stepfathers job (something to do with baseball) means that she would be moving around a lot if she stays with her Mom.

Spoiler

Sounds very sophomoric I know but it is handled very well and the interactions between Stewarts character and her father are particularly well done.

There is some mumbo jumbo about an ancient native American legend thrown in there as well but apart from a few suspicious glances between a native American character and Stewart's new friend it's not really developed.

Still as I said I am hoping TWILIGHT's success means the other two books will also get filmed.

#313 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:10 PM

It used to be that the credit crunch made financial experts of us all - now it is James Bond Box Office figures. So much misinformation, so little time.

#314 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

That's what I said. I like both movies but I think Quantum of Solaceis one of my least favorite of the 007 movies and I enjoyed TWILIGHT more.

#315 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:02 AM

The final weekend numbers are out and the top 3 all came in a bit below estimates.
Twilight took $69,637,740
Quantum of Solace 26,707,945
Bolt $26,223,128

Very close between QoS and Bolt. I actually thought Twilight's opening numbers would be bigger but they are in the same ballpark as QoS opening numbers, good news.

#316 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:10 AM

That's what I said. I like both movies but I think Quantum of Solaceis one of my least favorite of the 007 movies and I enjoyed TWILIGHT more.

My 17 year old daughter went to see it (she read all the books) and said it was awful. She said it was so bad that she laughed all the way through it, and it was not supposed to be funny.

#317 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:32 AM

My 17 year old daughter went to see it (she read all the books) and said it was awful. She said it was so bad that she laughed all the way through it, and it was not supposed to be funny.

Personally, I haven't experienced this. At every showing I've been to so far, people are laughing in all the right places. But I have read comments about younger viewers laughing at inappropriate spots, so maybe it's a generational thing.

#318 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:28 AM

Personally, I haven't experienced this. At every showing I've been to so far, people are laughing in all the right places. But I have read comments about younger viewers laughing at inappropriate spots, so maybe it's a generational thing.

Agreed. That certainly was not my experience at the movie theater when I saw TWILIGHT,everyone was leaving the theater talking about how much they had enjoyed the movie.

I would say there was more unintentional laughs in Quantum of Solace.

#319 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:54 AM

Just a guess: 17 might be a bit too sophisticated an audience for it? 12-14 sounds more like the right range IMO.

#320 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:59 AM

Just a guess: 17 might be a bit too sophisticated an audience for it? 12-14 sounds more like the right range IMO.

On the contrary I felt the movie (surprisingly) included a number of adult themes that were probably too sophisticated for a 17 year old to get a proper handle on.

What did you see when you went to the movie that led you to your conclusion?

#321 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:06 AM

I like both movies, but I got more fun out of TWILIGHT. I would not say it was a great movie by any stretch of the imagination but it had some good sequences and Stewart really gave an excellent performance.

The basic storyline revolves around Stewarts character who moves to live with her father in Washington State because her stepfathers job (something to do with baseball) means that she would be moving around a lot if she stays with her Mom.

Spoiler

Sounds very sophomoric I know but it is handled very well and the interactions between Stewarts character and her father are particularly well done.

There is some mumbo jumbo about an ancient native American legend thrown in there as well but apart from a few suspicious glances between a native American character and Stewart's new friend it's not really developed.

Still as I said I am hoping TWILIGHT's success means the other two books will also get filmed.

Thanks for the information. This might be a DVD rental for me, as the film itself really isn't the kind of film that I would find myself shelling out ten dollars for at the cinema, but the driving force behind my interest in the film was the presence of Stewart in the cast. She really is a fantastic actress who should be making a big name for herself in Hollywood in the next couple of years (and if she doesn't at least get an Academy Award nomination in the next two or three years, I'll be genuinely surprised).

#322 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:11 AM

UPDATED...

Posted Image
CommanderBond.net rounds up all the latest details (Updated Weekly)

#323 Elvenstar

Elvenstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:46 AM

Agreed. That certainly was not my experience at the movie theater when I saw TWILIGHT,everyone was leaving the theater talking about how much they had enjoyed the movie.

How I wish I could hear these words from people after Qos. But it was not the case :)

BTW thanks for Twilight info. I missed it this weekend and probably the next too because here we have 'Flashbacks of a fool' in limited release so I'd rather choose Dan than teenage vampires :)
But I will definately check this out later. (Never expected this girl to be a good actress. But now Im really interested)

#324 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:58 AM

On the contrary I felt the movie (surprisingly) included a number of adult themes that were probably too sophisticated for a 17 year old to get a proper handle on.

What did you see when you went to the movie that led you to your conclusion?

Haven't seen it, just reading between the lines of the reviews (so what do I know? :( ).

#325 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

I think the only moment I heard inappropriate laughing was the Mathis/dumpster scene. Remembering CR, I heard laughs the moment Sebastien Foucan started doing his free running, the moment the camera had a close up on Infante's face (or maybe that was intentional?), and during the torture sequence even before any of the humor, just to name a few. And I'm talking about side-splitting laughter.

#326 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:20 PM

I think the only moment I heard inappropriate laughing was the Mathis/dumpster scene.

Yup, me too. In fact, even though I had seen pics from this scene, once you see it on the screen, especially the birds-eyeview shot, it's kinda a WTF moment, even I morbidly smiled. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Besides that, either some people didn't get some jokes, or they understood and laughed accordingly.

I counted just 1 time of inappropriate laughter.

#327 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:29 PM

I think the only moment I heard inappropriate laughing was the Mathis/dumpster scene. Remembering CR, I heard laughs the moment Sebastien Foucan started doing his free running, the moment the camera had a close up on Infante's face (or maybe that was intentional?), and during the torture sequence even before any of the humor, just to name a few. And I'm talking about side-splitting laughter.

People laugh at anything. I remember someone laughed in CR when Mr.White gets shot in the knee. Er, LOLZ indeed?!

#328 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:04 PM

What do people recon James Bond pulls in over the 5 day and 3 day Thanksgiving weekend?

#329 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:14 AM

What do people recon James Bond pulls in over the 5 day and 3 day Thanksgiving weekend?

140m$ for USA. 145m$ will be great though.

For monday it did around 2m$ which is bigger than CR. It seems it wont have trouble passing CR but 200m$ seems not possible as of now. 190m$ is the target.

#330 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:19 PM

WOW! According to Box Office Mojo, Quantum of Solace has NEARLY outgrossed Casino Royale.

Domestic:
$110,993,282
Foreign: $308,336,564

WORLDWIDE:
$419,329,846

Just another 180 Million to go. :(