189 replies to this topic

#121 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

Here's a notion I've conjured. In the acting department, Connery is the king, and he retires - temporarily anyway. A one off event happens with Lazenby and OHMSS. And in the literary world, Fleming is the king, and he dies. Amis then writes Colonel Sun to keep the flame alive. Both of these works are as good, if not better, than the original material. All this material happens in the 50s/60s timelines as well. Without doubt the golden age of Bond.

#122 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

Film: "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"
Date: Sunday 1st February 2009
Time: 15:10
Channel: ITV 1

#123 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:19 AM

Watched a bit of it yesterday, first time in years.

In the pre-credits sequence, forgive me if I'm mistaken but Bond sees Tracy's car in his rear view mirror; she moves to overtake him down the driver's side.

But overtakes him down the passenger's side.

I turned it off at that point, irritated at how rubbish this was. I shall not be watching it again until this is fixed. The Diamonds are Forever car chase continuity gaffe seems like a solid homage, though.

#124 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:40 PM

:(

You are joking, right? Pretty petty and pathetic to do that IMO.

#125 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:54 PM

These are all the minor flubs you will find in any film. It's never been enough to ruin any scene or film for me. If small editing inconsistencies are the only issues people find, I'd say that's a major positive for the film and not something to be frustrated by. Anyway, a director will choose the best possible shots even if it means small sacrifices in consistency.

#126 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

Watched a bit of it yesterday, first time in years.

In the pre-credits sequence, forgive me if I'm mistaken but Bond sees Tracy's car in his rear view mirror; she moves to overtake him down the driver's side.

But overtakes him down the passenger's side.

I turned it off at that point, irritated at how rubbish this was. I shall not be watching it again until this is fixed. The Diamonds are Forever car chase continuity gaffe seems like a solid homage, though.

I've never noticed that and I've seen OHMSS zillions of times. There is so much else going on in that scene, to be distracted by a continuity or editing goof like that must be to miss the whole point of the scene and the movie itself IMO.
Don't think DAF was any attempt to pay homage either, Hamilton admitted the continutiy error in the car chase was a pure mistake when shooting the film.

Edited by sthgilyadgnivileht, 02 February 2009 - 01:53 PM.

#127 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:01 PM

:(

...yes.

I was joking.

Jimjim do ha-ha.

Not very well, as it turned out.

Bit like the film*.

*Jimjim do ha-ha again, for the avoidance of doubt.

I've never noticed that and I've seen OHMSS zillions of times. There is so much else going on in that scene, to be distracted by a continuity or editing goof like that must be to miss the whole point of the scene and the movie itself IMO.

Naughty old me.

But now that I know it's there, I know it's there.

Edited for incredible profundity.

#128 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

:)

...yes.

I was joking.

Jimjim do ha-ha.

Not very well, as it turned out.

Bit like the film*.

*Jimjim do ha-ha again, for the avoidance of doubt.

Ha-Ha-Ha. Hoo-He-Ha. Hoo-He-Ha. Ah-Ha... and I thought my jokes were bad. :(

#129 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

I liked it :(

#130 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

I fell for it :(

#131 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

Saw OHMSS on the big screen recently. It was really great seeing some of the action and skiing sequences on the big screen. The Piz Gloria escape and the PTS was worth the admission price alone. Perhaps it was me, but I thought the scene where Campbell asks to go to the top at the cable car station(Not when he and Blofeld have stern words at Piz Gloria) was a deleted scene, it was integrated into the film at the showing. Or perhaps I am going mad B)

Edited by BoogieBond, 28 April 2009 - 04:18 PM.

#132 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

Not a deleted scene. That scene has always been in the film.

#133 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:03 AM

Does anyone besides me always want to go to Piz Gloria every single time they see this movie?

#134 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:36 AM

In fact, OHMSS and the two Dalton films have been the Bond films that probably benefited the most from the success of CR.

I would say that only TLD- if any Dalton's at all-, alongside with OHMSS of course, and not LTK, could have been benefited from the success of CR. Because LTK is nothing like CR. QOS is really the movie that is a little similar to Dalton's second entry.

#135 right idea, wrong pussy

right idea, wrong pussy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:27 AM

I love OHMSS, but I think this tendency to just let defeated villains be is a weakness in the plot, and Bond does it a lot in this movie. First, in the PTS, he's attacked for no apparent reason by a couple of toughs on a beach, and after he knocks them silly, he apparently just leaves. None of this investigating who they are or why they attacked him. Then, in Tracy's hotel room, another guy jumps him, and there's this ferocious battle. Bond wins, and, having survived this blatantly illegal assault, he helps himself to some caviar and leaves. Didn't he want to know who, in this second assault in a day, had attacked him? Was he unconcerned that they might try it again, potentially with different results?

The corker, however, is his decision simply to leave Blofeld hanging around, as it were, after he "branched off." This guy had to be the world's most wanted super terrorist, and the failure to make sure what had happened to him simply made it all too easy for him to escape. The Secret Service had a right to expect better of its senior Double-0.

Negligence. Fatal negligence.

Agreed. OHMSS has really grown on me over the years, to the point where I very much enjoy watching it, in spite of Lazenby's obviously rookie performance in a hefty dramatic role. I've even learned to forgive the sped-up fight scenes. But the one thing that bothers me to no end is why those guys are trying to kill Bond on the beach. If they're Draco's men, why have they exceeded their orders and tried to kill Bond, particularly when he just saved their boss' daughter? Why does one of them put a knife to Teresa's throat, for that matter? Saying that they were sent by Blofeld doesn't make much sense either. Blofeld seems to have completely vanished before Bond manages to track him down using Draco's information and the contents of Gumbold's safe - why would he potentially compromise his secret location just to kill Bond (who is at the time having no success with Operation Bedlam)?

In other words, those early fight scenes are lazy writing that is meant to distract the audience from a new Bond by letting Lazenby play to his strengths in fight scenes.

#136 CJB

CJB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:51 AM

Watched OHMSS today. It's easily the most regularly played of my Bond DVD's. Can't get enough of the film. The plot, the acting, the action, the cinematography and the godly score - it's all so terrific. It's truly a fantastic piece of cinema and a great adaptation of Fleming's work.

Quite frankly, it's James Bond at his best.

#137 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:27 PM

Does anyone besides me always want to go to Piz Gloria every single time they see this movie?

I know what you mean. I want to go there every every time I see it!

#138 Jeao007

Jeao007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:06 AM

Just watched it again two days ago. I think I've lost count on how many times I've seen it. It's such a tremendous movie.

#139 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:33 AM

I was fortunate enough to go there 14 years ago about this time. The Schilthorn (Piz Gloria) and nearby Interlaken are very beautiful places. It's worth going if you get the chance. On a clear day, they say you can see 1,000 peaks from the top of the Schilthorn. Unfortunately, I got their on a cloudy day and saw zero. B) Still, it was a treat seeing Piz Gloria and recognizing some of the places/rooms the Bond team filmed in.

#140 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:16 AM

Am currently watching it again B)

#141 007Bond007

007Bond007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

i too always have an itch to go there after watching the movie.

#142 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:33 PM

I, too, always have an itch to go there after watching the movie.

Why don't we arrange a mass CB.n expedition to Piz Gloria and pay Lazenby a shîtload of money to emcee? Might be a nice anniversary gathering, methinks, and Lord knows poor George could use the money, so... B)

#143 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:04 AM

Why don't we arrange a mass CB.n expedition to Piz Gloria and pay Lazenby a shîtload of money to emcee? Might be a nice anniversary gathering, methinks, and Lord knows poor George could use the money, so... B)

Do you suppose it would cost extra to arrange for a bobsled or two to be lying around?

#144 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:47 AM

Hmmm! Interesting!

#145 007Bond007

007Bond007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:03 PM

im already on the plane. :tdown:

#146 007Bond007

007Bond007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:05 PM

im already on the plane. :tdown:

Edited by 007Bond007, 20 July 2009 - 03:06 PM.

#147 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:00 AM

I watched it again on Saturday it looks so good on Blu Ray I noticed something i have never seen before Draco's henchmen are at all his functions Bond batters them a few times must of been a bit uneasy while he was there :D

Edited by col_007, 06 November 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#148 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

Where's this thread been hiding?

I control my addiction by keeping OHMSS-watching a special event - ushering in the Christmas season by having a few close friends over for champagne, caviar, pate* and a healthy serving of George, Diana and Telly.

I find that, of all the Bond films, it's the one with the highest consistent level of class throughout; it's what keeps me coming back for more.

Just four weeks to go until this year's event!

*(Not foie gras, Sir Rog)

#149 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

well at my brothers wedding last year i said to him and his wife now you have all the time in the world my brother laughed his head off biggrin.gif

Now that you mention it, that would be a good wedding song!

It was my wife's and mine.

#150 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

It's too late for me, but I might have it played at my funeral...