142 replies to this topic

#61 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:30 PM

Odd idea for a PR stunt - surely they'd be trying to establish his similarity with the character. I'd expect to see stuff about how he lives in a flat in London, drives a Saab and so on. The 'real story' behind him nearly buying the first edition of CR, and so on. This seems almost guaranteed to split fans... as it has done, instantly, right in this thread.

View Post

No, I'm implying this is a story planted by Pierce's press agent to continue to :) with Eon. Revenge. It is odd that Pierce's name is featured in all these stories. Craig is not just the "new Bond", he is the "replacement" or "successor to Pierce Brosnan."

View Post

This seems like rather a serious allegation to me. Are you implying that this story has been planted by Pierce Brosnan's press agent with Brosnan's full support?

View Post

Nah, just pointing out that that this story stinks of being generated by a PR firm or press agent and I'm speculating on what agenda could be behind it. The mention of Pierce's name brought bitter Pierce to mind, but it doesn't seem his style, does it? I like the idea of an Eon rival, or maybe it's just one of the plain old PR companies who's job is to feed daily sleaze to the tabloids and Craig is an easy and popular target at the moment. My guess is it's this. Sorry Pierce.

#62 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:34 PM

There you have the technical bumf, thanks for that SecretAgent007. Btw I have no doubt they can be converted back but they order those modified guns as a safety precaution during filming is all.

Replicas cost so much more because you're paying for a brand new manufactured piece rather than an old second hand one. For big action films with a lot of weapons in it it makes a large, unecessary bill.

Hope that answers you're question Todoroki.

#63 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Yes, I mean it's not exactly a huge coincidence they all mention he's Brosnan's replacement as Bond, rather than just 'the new Bond'. Otherwise, readers might go 'Huh? I thought it was that Brosnan guy? What happened?'

Perhaps Julian McMahon's behind the whole thing. Just throwing it out there - I don't like his eyebrows. :)

#64 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Here is a pic I just took of a Walther PP (polymer) so you can get an idea of how acurate they are. Attached File  waltherpp.jpg   21.64KB   63 downloads

Usually they get an extra barrel for the real guns and blank them out. Most of the movie armorors have lots of real blanked guns or they rent ones that are already converted.

Edited by SecretAgent007, 25 October 2005 - 07:39 PM.

#65 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

That's a fantastic finish as well. I think Ourumovs Makarov was a polymer replica too, he fires it twice and I am not sure if at least one of those is simply a pistol shot sound edited in because the gun is off camera, not sure about when he "shoots" Alec because I think theres smoke. But the rest of the time I remember hearing it's one of those ^

#66 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:43 PM

Leon, chances are it was a real/coverted gun. They really only use the polymer guns for scenes in which the gun is thrown or dropped. Anything that would harm a real gun. In some really low budget stuff they use the polymer guns for everything and it looks it too :)

The polymer replicas are solid casting and have no moving parts.

Edited by SecretAgent007, 25 October 2005 - 07:45 PM.

#67 mtonline

mtonline

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:45 PM

first off, i will be angry if he uses the walter instead of the berretta in this one.
2nd, if u dont like guns or martinis that way, u should play someone who does (that goes for moore too).
3rd, i KNOW i am going to be SO disappointed in this movie :)

M_T

#68 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:45 PM

CoS,

Obviously our different experiences of handgun violence and its consequences to friends and/or family influence our feelings on this matter.

I do know some gun collectors and they are very nice people who I respect That last comment in my previous post was perhaps a little too strong - sorry for that.

#69 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:52 PM

The term "Cop killer bullets" is somewhat misleading and was used by the democrats to scare people into getting the legislation past. Kind of like "sat. night specials". Or like they try to make "semi automatic handguns" a bad word. All hand guns, other than a single action-cowboy guns and the like, are semi-auto. There are no criteria for what makes a "cop killer". The reference was to Black Talons, which are still on the market under a different name. They do not penetrate 3rd gen. body armor. Any rifle bullet would be a cop killer as the high velocity (.308 goes about 2600 feet per sec) would go through a couple of vests.

Edited by SecretAgent007, 25 October 2005 - 07:53 PM.

#70 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:55 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='25 October 2005 - 18:51'][quote name='Trident' date='25 October 2005 - 11:07'][quote name='tdalton' date='25 October 2005 - 18:01']This just another insignificant detail that the media is blowing out of proportion in order to further their anti-Craig agenda.

#71 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:56 PM

first off, i will be angry if he uses the walter instead of the berretta in this one.
2nd, if u dont like guns or martinis that way, u should play someone who does (that goes for moore too).

M_T

View Post

Sorry to have brought you the news then. However I am a fan of the novels more than the films (still love the films of course), and even I think a Beretta is a bad idea. Why? First off the actual Beretta he used before the PPK was really really small and is extremely dated, with the newer model being a little fancier looking but only fit for...yes a ladies purse. Audiences would just laugh at it. Secondly the only real Berettas you could replace it with for today are the 9000 series, which are pretty ugly things IMO at least. Thirdly Walther is Bond's gun and has established itself as such through 20 films and any change to that would remove some of the 007 identity. The Walther PPK specifically is his trademark pistol.

As much as I love the idea of full continuity there has not been that in the previous films anyway, and I would not want to see 007 carrying some random modern Beretta just for a very brief moments chuckle at an ancient mention of his Beretta in Dr No. The PPK is definately the best choice by far. Never really liked the P99 for Bond anyway.

#72 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:00 PM

If you want to see Bond using the Beretta, take a look at LTK. He uses Pam's (gets it from here when he comes out of the elevator). It is a Beretta Tomcat.

#73 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:09 PM

Wow, next thing you know, they'll discover Craig's shameful secret--he isn't actually a member of Mi6! :) Just telling you what I've heard.

What an idiotic charge to level against a Bond actor. Roger Moore hated handguns too, but it didn't keep him from playing the character.

#74 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:13 PM

one phrase:

Bad piece of journalism. :)

#75 Streetworker

Streetworker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 460 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:15 PM

Wow, next thing you know, they'll discover Craig's shameful secret--he isn't actually a member of Mi6!

View Post

He's not? You're joking!

Oh well, that's it then. Shan't go and see the movie...

#76 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:35 PM

Wow, next thing you know, they'll discover Craig's shameful secret--he isn't actually a member of Mi6!  :)  Just telling you what I've heard.

View Post

I have it on good authority that Craig's read only five of the Flemings. Five. And they made him James Bond.

#77 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:42 PM

CoS,

Obviously our different experiences of handgun violence and its consequences to friends and/or family influence our feelings on this matter.

I do know some gun collectors and they are very nice people who I respect That last comment in my previous post was perhaps a little too strong - sorry for that.

View Post

Obviously indeed...and no hard feelings.

#78 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:01 PM

[quote name='Loomis' date='25 October 2005 - 13:35'][quote name='Pussfeller' date='25 October 2005 - 20:09']Wow, next thing you know, they'll discover Craig's shameful secret--he isn't actually a member of Mi6!

#79 Streetworker

Streetworker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 460 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:03 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='25 October 2005 - 21:01'][quote name='Loomis' date='25 October 2005 - 13:35'][quote name='Pussfeller' date='25 October 2005 - 20:09']Wow, next thing you know, they'll discover Craig's shameful secret--he isn't actually a member of Mi6!

#80 rdh007

rdh007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:49 PM

Still don't like him as Bond, but this news give me heart that he's a decent fellow.

#81 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:52 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='25 October 2005 - 21:01'][quote name='Loomis' date='25 October 2005 - 13:35'][quote name='Pussfeller' date='25 October 2005 - 20:09']Wow, next thing you know, they'll discover Craig's shameful secret--he isn't actually a member of Mi6!

#82 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:30 PM

M_T

View Post

Sorry to have brought you the news then. However I am a fan of the novels more than the films (still love the films of course), and even I think a Beretta is a bad idea. Why? First off the actual Beretta he used before the PPK was really really small and is extremely dated, with the newer model being a little fancier looking but only fit for...yes a ladies purse. Audiences would just laugh at it. Secondly the only real Berettas you could replace it with for today are the 9000 series, which are pretty ugly things IMO at least. Thirdly Walther is Bond's gun and has established itself as such through 20 films and any change to that would remove some of the 007 identity. The Walther PPK specifically is his trademark pistol.

As much as I love the idea of full continuity there has not been that in the previous films anyway, and I would not want to see 007 carrying some random modern Beretta just for a very brief moments chuckle at an ancient mention of his Beretta in Dr No. The PPK is definately the best choice by far. Never really liked the P99 for Bond anyway.

View Post

The PPK isn't that great of a choice IMHO. I know it's his signature weapon, but it's more outdated than Bond's original Jetfire. I don't think the PPK has been in service since the early 1970s or something. Regardless Gardner knew the PPK was outdated, which is why he replaced it eventually with Bond's standard ASP. This is probably what he should be using. Boothroyd recommended it in his last book, "The Handgun" in the late 80s/early 90s - so if Fleming were still alive and writing it's possible this is what Bond would be using anyway.

Edited by K1Bond007, 25 October 2005 - 10:31 PM.

#83 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:18 PM

Just to clarify, Boothroyd didn't recommend the ASP to Gardner. It was recommended to him by a police detective who put him in touch with Kevin Parsons of Armament Systems.

The ASP was a neat gun in its day, but like the PPK it too has become dated. There are a lot of better guns out there. It's also kind of ironic that the gun was discontinued the year Role of Honour was published. Don't get me wrong I love the ASP and own several of them, but I wouldn't carry one anymore.

Here is a pic of the last gun they produced. It was built from a S&W 469, which is the gun that put ASP out of the firearms conversion business.Attached File  469_ASP_300.jpg   85.14KB   47 downloads

Edited by SecretAgent007, 25 October 2005 - 11:26 PM.

#84 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:47 AM

Regardless Gardner knew the PPK was outdated, which is why he replaced it eventually with Bond's standard ASP. This is probably what he should be using. Boothroyd recommended it in his last book, "The Handgun" in the late 80s/early 90s

View Post

Just to clarify, Boothroyd didn't recommend the ASP to Gardner.  It was recommended to him by a police detective who put him in touch with Kevin Parsons of Armament Systems.

The ASP was a neat gun in its day, but like the PPK it too has become dated. There are a lot of better guns out there.  It's also kind of ironic that the gun was discontinued the year Role of Honour was published.  Don't get me wrong I love the ASP and own several of them, but I wouldn't carry one anymore.

Here is a pic of the last gun they produced. It was built from a S&W 469, which is the gun that put ASP out of the firearms conversion business.Attached File  469_ASP_300.jpg   85.14KB   47 downloads

View Post

Well just to clarify, I didn't mean to imply that Boothroyd recommended it to Gardner. I merely tagged it on as trivia that Boothroyd who helped Fleming out, approved of it for the time. I should also state that I don't know much about guns. I only know some general information when it pertains to Bond (PPK, ASP, P99).

#85 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:09 AM

take it easy. I was not trying to imply anything.

#86 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:34 AM

I think we just need two more people to make the 'glass' comment to drive CoS totally mad. :)

View Post

Well what I am saying is that if I stabbed someone to death with a piece of glass (or anything else for that matter) no one would blame the glass itself - they'd blame the lunatic who is killing people. So why should it be generalized that guns kill people? I have access to several guns and I've never shot anyone, I have them for target shooting and yes - defense should it be necessary, not to go out and hunt down the neighbors.

If a person kills someone with a gun, it isn't the guns fault just like it wouldn't be the fault of a piece of glass (I have no idea why I used that example honestly) or a chainsaw or a steak knife.

View Post

quite right. the atom bomb didn't kill anybody... the people killed the people...

#87 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:24 AM

BTW, this gun story is clearly the product of a PR company which means it was generated and planted to achieve a specific purpose. One thing I've noticed is they all at some point call Craig "the replacement for Pierce Brosnan."

Could the public pissing match between Brosnan and the producers be continuing still? Just saying. And for those of you who don't think people with money and press agents don't play these kinds of games, you don't know how low Hollywood can go.

View Post

The story just hit the breakfast show on German TV. Nothing new, only about 15 seconds showing Craig arriving at the press conference (and pointing at the survival vest he wore during the transfere, omitting that even the Marines wore them) and the speaker from the off told about Craig not liking guns and liking his martinis straight. After the pictures from the Craig conference they inserted several takes from PB movies. Only from Brosnan's movies. No Connery, no Moore. That doesn't necessarily mean the story was pushed by somebody near Brosnan. But to me it suggests it was solely devised to bash Craig for not being Brosnan.

#88 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:29 AM

Regardless Gardner knew the PPK was outdated, which is why he replaced it eventually with Bond's standard ASP. This is probably what he should be using. Boothroyd recommended it in his last book, "The Handgun" in the late 80s/early 90s

View Post

Just to clarify, Boothroyd didn't recommend the ASP to Gardner.  It was recommended to him by a police detective who put him in touch with Kevin Parsons of Armament Systems.

The ASP was a neat gun in its day, but like the PPK it too has become dated. There are a lot of better guns out there.  It's also kind of ironic that the gun was discontinued the year Role of Honour was published.  Don't get me wrong I love the ASP and own several of them, but I wouldn't carry one anymore.

View Post

Well just to clarify, I didn't mean to imply that Boothroyd recommended it to Gardner. I merely tagged it on as trivia that Boothroyd who helped Fleming out, approved of it for the time. I should also state that I don't know much about guns. I only know some general information when it pertains to Bond (PPK, ASP, P99).

View Post

take it easy.  I was not trying to imply anything.

View Post

?? Apparently, misunderstood again....

#89 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:54 AM

Fleming himself found this whole subject rather boring and called weapons experts maniacs. :) From his Playboy interview:

'PLAYBOY: Are you interested in the skills of individual specıalısts? Would you, for example, go out of your way to meet Chic Gaylord of New York, who makes custom-tailored revolver and pistol holsters for the New York City police and the FBI?

FLEMING: Quite honestly, the whole question of expertise in these matters bores me. Obviously, I want to know the facts. If a Gaylord holster is better than a Berns-Martin, I want to know about it, but there my interest rather ends. However, I'm not a bad shot; in fact, I shot for Sandhurst against West Point at one time. And just to see that my hand isn't trembling too much, I like to have a shot at a tin can or something now and again.

PLAYBOY: How about hunting game?

FLEMING: No, I'm not keen on killing things, except to eat them. We have big bush rats in Jamaica, and one time when I'd lent the place for a bit to Anthony Eden, he couldn't sleep, they made such a racket scurrying about, and a number of them had to be shot by his private detective, which I didn't like. But to go back to the matter of expertise, I've been pestiferated ever since Sports Illustrated ran that article about Bond's weapons; you saw it, I'm sure - the one which told how I'd been persuaded to take Bond's .25 Beretta away from him and make him use a 7.65mm Walther instead. That idea had originated with Geoffrey Boothroyd, a genuine expert, and since the article appeared I've had hundreds of letters from weapon maniacs - and they are maniacs; they're terrifying - and Boothroyd gets all those letters sent on to him. I never look at them; he deals with them himself or he doesn't. I wouldn't dream of attempting it. I'm just not sufficiently expert.'

#90 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:58 AM

I know, I am gonna get kicked in the nuts for this, but this continues to sound bad for Craig and Casino Royale. Craig is starting to be the equivalent of that one lady Bush wants for the Supreme Court. Right down the middle, people like her or they really hate her, and the press is just chomping to take her down. The same with Craig. I understand he's a very private guy, but these stories are getting out into left field, and he hasn't even started filming yet.