142 replies to this topic

#121 Niwram

Niwram

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:45 PM

But people wouldn't be able to kill as many as they could if thay had a gun, if all they had was a knife.

#122 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:55 PM

But people wouldn't be able to kill as many as they could if thay had a gun, if all they had was a knife.

View Post

[mra]But then who

#123 Niwram

Niwram

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:01 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' date='28 November 2005 - 18:55'][quote name='Niwram' date='28 November 2005 - 11:45']But people wouldn't be able to kill as many as they could if thay had a gun, if all they had was a knife.

View Post

[/quote]

[mra]But then who

Edited by Niwram, 29 November 2005 - 01:43 PM.

#124 Mr Malcolm

Mr Malcolm

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:30 PM

Not bothered if Dan the Man doesn't like hand-guns. That's why it's called acting! :tup:

Also, guns don't kill people, the bullet tends to do that. Unless you hit someone really hard with the gun, that is...

#125 Niwram

Niwram

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:36 PM

The original message I wrote here was short and pointless. Is there any way to delete this post? I'm an idiot, I know......

Edited by Niwram, 29 November 2005 - 01:37 PM.

#126 Tired And Emotional

Tired And Emotional

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:24 PM

The big difference between guns and knives is that a knife requires you to be up close to someone, close enough to look into their faces, close enough for them to fight back.

Eddie Izzard said, in respose to the old saw that guns don't kill people, people do "Yeah, but the gun helps, surely? I mean, you can't just point your fingers at someone and go "BANG!" and they're dead."

The distinction between the gun and the user is specious really because to all intents and purposes the gun is the extension of the person (one only has to see how attached some people are to their weapons and how closely they identify with them as representative of their rights; there is obviously no direct link between having a gun and being free as the vast majority of people seem to manage very well without one). It would be nice to think that everyone is an upright, honest, responsible person but venality, egotism and violence are strong factors in the human psyche, albeit tronger in some than in others, and anything that facilitates the expression of those qualities is suspect IMO.

Edited by Tired And Emotional, 29 November 2005 - 01:25 PM.

#127 Streetworker

Streetworker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 460 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:35 PM

Not bothered if Dan the Man doesn't like hand-guns.  That's why it's called acting! :tup:

View Post

Does that mean Anthony Hopkins doesn't liking eating people and washing them down with a nice drop of chianti...?

#128 Mr Malcolm

Mr Malcolm

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:00 PM

[quote name='Streetworker' date='29 November 2005 - 14:35'][quote name='Mr Malcolm' date='28 November 2005 - 19:30']Not bothered if Dan the Man doesn't like hand-guns.

#129 Niwram

Niwram

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 02:43 PM

http://actionadventu...aalayercake.htm

This is from an interview about Layer Cake from a long time ago.
"Hello" never interviewed him, they just started digging for some dirt right after the press conference on the 14/10.
But of course they left this part out: [ibox]The trouble is, you put me in front of a gun I go,

Edited by Niwram, 21 December 2005 - 02:49 PM.

#130 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:20 PM

If the media wants to try to put a negative spin on a comment from Craig that is SOOOO obviously positive, then I blame the dolts out there who can't see past the spin.
Read the facts and filter the spin: Craig doesn't like guns; it's a good thing.
On the other hand, he looks pretty comfortable holding that gun in the promo shot. Damn good IMO. That's acting. (Even if it is just one frame's worth).

#131 dream34

dream34

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:02 PM

[quote name='Tired And Emotional' date='27 November 2005 - 18:59']Well some Americans like guns;

Edited by dream34, 21 December 2005 - 07:29 PM.

#132 JameswpBond

JameswpBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:36 PM

Men who love guns are said to be small in the area that most matters to women.

#133 dream34

dream34

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:55 PM

Men who love guns are said to be small in the area that most matters to women.

View Post

Following that line of thought one would have to assume that Bond has a small crank. :tup: Seriously though I think there is quite a difference between one who owns a handgun for personal protection and one who sees the gun as an object of desire and/or power. When it gets right down to it a gun is just a tool, just like my ink pen, computer, handcuffs, or flashlight. So long as people realize that the purpose of the tool is for protection of one's life then they do not have a problem. The problem comes when some idiot falsely thinks of a firearm as a means of power or control.

All of this gun stuff aside I really think that Craig not liking guns is a moot point. However there are going to be people who believe otherwise and these are possibly the same people who take every opprtunity to throw DC under the bus. I guess these same people would say he was unfit to play Bond if he owned a Ferrari as his personal car because he prefers it to an Aston Martin.

Edited by dream34, 21 December 2005 - 07:56 PM.

#134 Niwram

Niwram

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:47 AM

[Mods Note: This is not going to be turned into a topic of insults. Watch what you type, Stuart.]

Edited by Niwram, 25 December 2005 - 04:18 PM.

#135 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:17 AM

[Mods Note: This is not going to be turned into a topic of insults. Your personal views do not correspond to everyone in the US, Nirwam. Watch what you type.]

Edited by Qwerty, 25 December 2005 - 03:06 PM.

#136 Niwram

Niwram

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 01:49 PM

[Mods Note: This is not going to be turned into a topic of insults. Watch what you type, Stuart.]

Edited by Niwram, 25 December 2005 - 04:17 PM.

#137 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 03:06 PM

On topic, please.

#138 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

Noted!

No hard feelings on my end.

#139 Agent Spriggan Ominae

Agent Spriggan Ominae

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:21 AM

I shoot handguns competitively, carry concealed (have a CCW) and own a company that deals in handgun accessories. And, believe it or not, I'm not sick, twisted, or a psychopath. Don't go name calling because a few people have misused handguns. Most handgun owners are very responsible citizens.

I had an interesting talk with one of my friends. He said he always felt that they would one day take away the ammendment that lets us bear arms but they didn't have too. They subtly brainwashed people to think if you own a gun or are into guns than you are either sick in the head or a criminal and pretty much turned "average folks" off to guns. Ask anyone on the street what would they think of someone who has a gun. The first thought would probably be That's a scary mofo. In reality it is average folk and people we know and maybe ourselves who own guns for sport or protection. There are many respomsible owners out there but unfortunatly the general public is force fed by the vultuers(Media)all these horror stories of people getting shot up just to terrifiy and control the masses. From the sound of things it's working.

#140 Bring Back Valentin

Bring Back Valentin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:52 AM

Sean Connery wore a toupee in every Bond film he did.
George Lazenby is Australian.
Roger Moore: "...I am completely opposed to small arms and what they can do to children. I played every role tongue-in-cheek because I don't really believe in that sort of hero. I don't like guns."
Timothy Dalton...I couldn't really find any "dirt" on him...
Pierce Brosnan is quite the environmentalist. Can't drive a stick-shift.

These are not bad qualities in any person, don't get me wrong. The point I'm trying to make is that these qualities are not very "Bond-ish".

If Daniel Craig doesn't like handguns, so bloody what? Bond himself probably doesn't really like killing people, but it is sometimes a necessary evil that he has to do. Pretty much every Bond has shown this at least once.

As long as it doesn't get out of hand (ie the no-guns-in-Charlies-Angels-because-Drew-Barrymore-doesn't-like-guns syndrome), I don't care about an actors personal politics.

#141 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:32 AM

Craig proved himself to be more than convincing with a firearm in MUNICH. 'Nuff said on this subject.

#142 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:39 AM

DC doesn

#143 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty