This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Adrian Paul - yes or no?

325 replies to this topic

Poll: Adrian Paul as James Bond?

Adrian Paul as James Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:50 PM

:)

#182 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 08:46 PM

Bond Wannabe Trivia: Adrian Paul and Rupert Everett were born on the same day; 29 May, 1959.

#183 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 08:49 PM

That's an interesting one!

#184 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 08:55 PM

Talking of birthday coincidences, George W. Bush and Sylvester Stallone both came into the world on 6 July 1946.

One is often seen as an inarticulate moron with extreme right-wing sympathies, who didn't serve his country in Vietnam but who nonetheless wraps himself in the American flag at every opportunity, and whose life's work seems to frequently push the message that the U.S.A. is Number One and that it's okay to solve problems using guns.

The other, of course, is the President.

#185 Lady M

Lady M

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 09:14 PM

You know what....you all are really great, you are open minded and that is what makes people appreciate your ideas all the more when you can be willing to see others points of views.

I will be honest with you that the Adrian Paul supporters could have over run the poll but to be truthful specifically it has been mentioned on the APFC that out of respect for your board that those who really did not want to come here and participate should not register just to vote.

I have found this place to be very interesting and even though I may not be the most knowledgable about Bond I think I am learning quite a bit more.....Thanks for welcoming me with open arms and making me feel wanted!!!

((((hugs))))

Lady M :)

#186 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:09 PM

You know what....you all are really great, you are open minded and that is what makes people appreciate your ideas all the more when you can be willing to see others points of views.

I will be honest with you that the Adrian Paul supporters could have over run the poll but to be truthful specifically it has been mentioned on the APFC that out of respect for your board that those who really did not want to come here and participate should not register just to vote.

I have found this place to be very interesting and even though I may not be the most knowledgable about Bond I think I am learning quite a bit more.....Thanks for welcoming me with open arms and making me feel wanted!!!

((((hugs))))

Lady M you are welcome. The passion of the Adrian Paul fans speak well to the appeal of Paul. I think it was right of you guys to a large extent to let the vast majority of the votes come from the established members. You should all be gratified that he did so well here and in Parade. It speaks well to his ability to carry Bond off with wide appeal. Speaking as a Bond fan first I support Adrian Paul because I believe he is the best fit for Bond and gives the best chance for the series to easily flourish. And you are right that though the passions sometimes fly here the vast majority of members are courteous and respectful of alternative views within the context of a sometimes vigorous debate.

#187 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:33 PM

Just to state that Adrian Paul's work schedulle seems to be clear , if he was to commit himself to Bond 21 , it could be the right moment.

#188 tunnack

tunnack

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 01:06 AM

The strength of the Highlanderr fan base is much under-rated as is Adrian's ability as an actor. Out of interest, take a look at this website for the similarity between Sean Connery and Adrian Paul:

http://www.geocities...my/3076/sva.htm

and tell me that the scenario of Adrian as the original Bond's (Connery's) son doesn't leap off the page. Even if Adrian weren't to play 007, he could certainly play this new character as a foil/partner/adversary to 007. anything to keep the franchise fresh and bring in an entire new fan base would be welcome.

Carmel

#189 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 01:13 AM

Talking of birthday coincidences, George W. Bush and Sylvester Stallone both came into the world on 6 July 1946.

One is often seen as an inarticulate moron with extreme right-wing sympathies, who didn't serve his country in Vietnam but who nonetheless wraps himself in the American flag at every opportunity, and whose life's work seems to frequently push the message that the U.S.A. is Number One and that it's okay to solve problems using guns.

The other, of course, is the President.

Okay Loomis. That was pretty good. You almost had me going there.

This one will have to go in my "Classic Loomis" dossier.

4A

#190 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 01:16 AM

((((hugs))))

You've definitely come to the best place to discuss all things Bond, including all these contenders for the approaching Bond 21! :)

#191 Adrian Carlisle

Adrian Carlisle

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 01:37 AM

Paul is underappreciated. He's simply derided for Highlander, I've seen it everywhere, even here. The problem is most people who bemoan him and that show in particular haven't seen enough of him. I won't lie, he's not the best actor in the world. But hey, neither is Brosnan, and he definitely wasn't top draw at the time he was selected for GoldenEye. Jackman certainly isn't either. Yeah, he's got a Tony, but from what I've seen of him in X Men and his romantic comedies he's good but nothing spectacular. People who say Paul isn't a good actor and thus shouldn't play Bond just need to either hope for Clive Owen to miraculously have a change of heart or hope for someone not even mentioned yet.

Paul isn't a high profile actor, no. He works in small films, and it's not just because he can't find work, it's because a lot of the year he's involved with his children's charity he set up. Was Highlander a good show? As a fan, I say yes, but I also acknowledge it had some REALLY campy and rediculous episodes. Remmington Steele wasn't TV gold either, guys. But if the people who rail on Paul actually WATCH how he develops over the course of HL, they'd see a guy that improved immensely in the six years. By the third-fifth season he was playing Duncan with depth, emotion and maturity. And he's also a very skilled and capable director.

I knew without a doubt when I saw Highlander Endgame in 2000, when he didn't have long hair, that he'd be a great James Bond. Watching the interviews on the HL fourth season DVDs I have, I'm amazed at how well he's aged, and I think it'll be a crime if he isn't given a shot. He's also well-recognized as a young Connery lookalike. He would bring an undeniable physical presence to the part of Bond - we all know his credentials in that department. He can also tweak his accent very well. And I'm prepared to defend against any claims that he's not capable in the acting sense either. He is.

I don't think he'll be selected, but if he is I'll be extremely happy. I'd take him over Jackman any day.

#192 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 02:33 AM

i think its cool that he looks like connery because that would give him an edge that no other person has. The ability to bring back connery's wit,charm,equal seriousness and the abiltiy to crack one liners at any given moment. I dont think any other person that is a contender to be the next bond has that advantage.

#193 htiana

htiana

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 02:34 AM

Hey Guys!!!!!
To those of you who have stated, "there sure seems to be a whole bunch of new members associated to this poll joining this site", yes....you are correct. There is....and I am one of them. In answer to your other statement, "I have heard that Adrian Paul has a very devoted fan base", yes....you are correct again. We are VERY devoted. We have been following Adrians career for many years and have found him not only a very talented actor, but a decent human being. Decency aside, Adrian is perfect casting for this role. It is almost like he has been preparing for the role all his career. He is very fortunate in the fact that he was born with all the physical attributes, he is tall, 6 ft., he is dark ( as in sensual and sexy ) and he is incredibily handsome. He has the accent, he also speaks french and italian fluently. He is blessed with the physical agility, ability and presence to take full command of the character Bond. All you guys need to do is rent some of his movies and you will more than see what I am talking about. I also believe that you will end up joining the fold. I keep hearing endless chatter concerning his age. Yes....Adrian is 45 ( just turned on the 29th of May ), but he has that great skin that takes forever to age and he looks like he is in his 30's. You also have to remember that the character of Bond is a mans man, not some girly man. We want him to have a certain maturity. I think that once you open your minds to the possibilities of how wonderful he would be as Bond, you would join all of us in our desire to see him in the role that he was born to play. Yes....we are all Adrian fans and we are very loyal to him.

#194 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 02:44 AM

welcome htiana to CBn and very well said statement

Roger was 46 when LALD came out and didnt look it so why should we worry about Adrian's age if he looks the part.
The producers are what im worried about when it comes to age because they want to appeal to the younger audiance.

#195 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 02:46 AM

welcome htiana to CBn and very well said statement

Roger was 46 when LALD came out and didnt look it so why should we worry about Adrian's age if he looks the part.
The producers are what im worried about when it comes to age because they want to appeal to the younger audiance.

Welcome to CBn, htiana.

While I think Roger Moore looked fine in his opening debut as James Bond, age differs with many actors, so can't just totally base the choice on age alone. Regarding Adrian Paul for example.

#196 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:08 AM

EON missed out once and they shouldnt miss out again cuz that would be just stupid of them.

#197 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:10 AM

Missed out once?

#198 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:16 AM

he auditioned when Pierce did but obviously Pierce got the role. Or so im told.

#199 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:19 AM

Ah yes, now I gotcha. I'm quite glad Pierce Brosnan was chosen, if comparing those two.

#200 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:21 AM

I am too dont get me wrong but they should miss out again when he his the right age and the other contenders arent quite there. While Adrian has the role for 2 or 3 films it would give time for Jackman and Owen to age a bit and mature as actors.

#201 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:22 AM

Jackman and Owen don't need to age much more. And it would still depend on exactly how many films he would do.

#202 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:25 AM

well Jackman said that forty is the perfect age for him to be bond. So i think if Paul had it for 4 or 6 years Jackman would be prime age for Bond.He would look tougher too because right now hes a lil too pretty for the role.Plus with his schedual right now with X-Men and Van Helsing he would be very busy.

#203 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:26 AM

Schedules can always change around though. While 40 is a good age, I think Jackman could take the role at a bit younger.

#204 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:30 AM

I have a feeling he will age well because of his steady work schedual with broadway and movies that keep him in shape.

#205 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:31 AM

I think Jackman could take the role now or later, either would be fine with me. His age is fine right now.

#206 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:44 AM

Either one would be a fine bond ..im just leaning towards Paul more because he is prime age to be bond.

#207 OO4

OO4

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:58 AM

I voted no. I don't have anyhting against AP, I liked Highlander: The Series alright. But when I look at the guy and his acting I just don't see Bond.

#208 Senile

Senile

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:05 PM

...And who's taking these "surveys" anyway? If they had conducted them online, I think we would have found them, the way we canvas the net for all things Bond. ...

The survey was online at the Parade.com web site. That is the where I voted, for Adrian of course.
--Senile--

#209 Senile

Senile

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:18 PM

Not wishing to be awkward, but who is this person? Could someone put up a picture or something?

First try at posting a photo. If you like it, I have lots more.

Attached Files

Edited by Senile, 01 July 2004 - 10:22 PM.

#210 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:25 PM

I have a doubt , where does he live? in California? :)

then he must be Pierce's neighbour... :) :)