366 replies to this topic

#301 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:27 PM

All you Adrian lovers will be sorry. He can't act his way out of a paper bag and you want him as Bond?

You'll regret this day.

#302 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:28 PM

All you Adrian lovers will be sorry. He can't act his way out of a paper bag and you want him as Bond?

You'll regret this day.

He can act fine. But his chances are slim compared with all these other names out there now.

And if we get some news on it all, maybe it'll be told who exactly was strong considered or not.

#303 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:38 PM

You'll regret this day.

Well there is an obvious disagreement on the estimation of his acting ability. I think you are way off base--like Roger in the Saint and Pierce in Remington, Paul showed his Bond stuff on TV. If he is picked I think he would suprise you. Like the other Bonds he comes from modest pre-Bond acting success qualitatively. None of them were Deniro or Newman or whoever. Only Dalton was acclaimed talent-wise and he was about the fourth best Bond. Not a "Adrian lover"--just see him as one of the best picks for Bond. It looks like we won't come to agree on that! :)

#304 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:57 PM

I think you are way off base--like Roger in the Saint and Pierce in Remington, Paul showed his Bond stuff on TV.

That's the interesting part. Are they still going to pick lesser names for the role of James Bond #6? Surely many of the past Bonds, as mentioned, started off for the most part on TV and they "built up" into Bond. Brosnan for example also, but I wonder if that would be the same deal for Paul. Or perhaps they want a bigger star like Jackman.

#305 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:10 PM

I think you are way off base--like Roger in the Saint and Pierce in Remington, Paul showed his Bond stuff on TV.

That's the interesting part. Are they still going to pick lesser names for the role of James Bond #6? Surely many of the past Bonds, as mentioned, started off for the most part on TV and they "built up" into Bond. Brosnan for example also, but I wonder if that would be the same deal for Paul. Or perhaps they want a bigger star like Jackman.

I honestly think it can go either way and also work either way. I go back to the mantra get the best fit and Bond will continue to flourish. The debate we all have is who is the best fit. We all have our favs and those we don't like at all.

#306 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:56 PM

I honestly think it can go either way and also work either way. I go back to the mantra get the best fit and Bond will continue to flourish. The debate we all have is who is the best fit. We all have our favs and those we don't like at all.

Yes, I'm not referring to what we specifically think. It's what MGM and Eon think. It's if they think fans will take an already known star for the role, or if they'll go for a lesser known name.

#307 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 09:08 PM

Yes, I'm not referring to what we specifically think. It's what MGM and Eon think. It's if they think fans will take an already known star for the role, or if they'll go for a lesser known name.

I see what you are saying--I don't think that they are fixated on the big name thing necessarily like some here think. They never have been and those who argue that things have changed considerably now I don't buy. Bond has inflation-wise almost always been a big budget enterprise and always with strong competition and never needed a big or popular name. The same variables are in place today with only minor variations.

#308 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 09:11 PM

They never have been and those who argue that things have changed considerably now I don't buy.

I am not sure completely where it stands on that. Leaning towards the way it has always been, but who knows yet? I guess we'll find out with Bond 6.

#309 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 09:43 PM

my brother swore me to secrecy and told me not to tell anyone the information. I doubt he'd do that if the information was false.

Have to ask this Moomoo. If you were sworn to secrecy, why did you choose to breach your brothers confidence and share the information both here and at AJB? :)

#310 Moomoo

Moomoo

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:36 PM

Because The Daily Mail newspaper leaked the story Brosnan was too old and was to be replaced. Once they had leaked the story, there was no reason for my silence.

Moomooo

#311 Alex Zamudio

Alex Zamudio

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:11 AM

[quote]Maybe 'lie' is too strong a word, 'inaccurate' is a nicer word.

Edited by Alex Zamudio, 14 July 2004 - 07:49 PM.

#312 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:43 AM

Because The Daily Mail newspaper leaked the story Brosnan was too old and was to be replaced. Once they had leaked the story, there was no reason for my silence.

Moomooo

What an appalling burden for you.

#313 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:39 PM

Replace the phrase 'leaked' with 'made up' and I think you're a little nearer the truth.

#314 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:54 PM

But the Mail piece made no mention of Jackman. As far as I'm aware, you were the first person to come out with the information that he'd been signed. Weren't you sworn to secrecy on that one by your brother?

What does your brother think of your behaviour? Do you feel that you might have put his career at risk?

Anyway, no offence meant with any of the above, merely curious. And keep the info coming - I'm sure you're right on pretty much everything (except for your claim that BOND 21 will make $400 million worldwide). :)

#315 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 04:55 PM

I was looking further into the gambling odds for the next James Bond that the largest internet gambling site intertops.com had announced recently. You may remember they had Robbie Williams as the favorite at 7/2 odds! Yes kind of silly--perhaps they did that to catch attention, maybe they heard scuttlebutt or saw he was prominent in some polls and overall Bond talk. Whatever the reason these gamblers make a living making smart odds and making sure they know the inside dope.

So I was curious on who were they calculating were the favorites to be James Bond beyond the shock value of Robbie Williams. They have Hugh Jackman at 9/2, Adrian Paul at 5/1, Clive Owen at 5/1 and Christian Bale at 6/1.

Not suprising they have the big two Jackman and Owen as favorites. Suprising that they have Adrian Paul as slightly behind Jackman and tied with Owen. Also suprising is Christain Bale who most consider out of it because of Batman as in the mix. Perhaps they know of Paul being seriously considered and of some possible movement toward Bale despite Batman. And with Jackman and Owen so close to Bale and Paul in odds maybe the two long considered big favorites have run into difficulties over potential Bond talks.

#316 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:41 PM

Not suprising they have the big two Jackman and Owen as favorites. Suprising that they have Adrian Paul as slightly behind Jackman and tied with Owen. Also suprising is Christain Bale who most consider out of it because of Batman as in the mix. Perhaps they know of Paul being seriously considered and of some possible movement toward Bale despite Batman. And with Jackman and Owen so close to Bale and Paul in odds maybe the two long considered big favorites have run into difficulties over potential Bond talks.

You have to wonder how well those odds can be trusted. I mean, Robbie Williams? And Bale has hardly been mentioned because of Batman Begins. He's tied for second place?

#317 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:56 PM

Yes the Robbie Williams favorite does throw one for a loop but as I say that maybe an attention getting device or just a sop to his popularity in some circles or most shockingly though less likely that he may be in the loop. With Bale he was always prominent in Bond talks until Batman--perhaps things have changed and things could be possibly arranged for him to do both. Minor correction--Bale in fifth place though closely bunched in the odds. Sure maybe it's bunk but gambling joints tend to be smart with the odds--they need to be to make money--the bottom line. So Williams, Jackman, Paul, Owen and then Bale--interesting at least.

#318 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:58 PM

So Williams, Jackman, Paul, Owen and then Bale--interesting at least.

Just cannot see it. I imagine Robbie Williams will become one of those always rumors that never happens. Bale is busy now. Owen and Jackman is where it may lie.

#319 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:05 PM

I took the Robbie Williams being favourite as meaning

#320 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:19 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' date='26 July 2004 - 19:05'] I took the Robbie Williams being favourite as meaning

Edited by Seannery, 26 July 2004 - 06:22 PM.

#321 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:35 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' date='26 July 2004 - 14:05'] I took the Robbie Williams being favourite as meaning

#322 RevolveR

RevolveR

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:31 PM

First thing's first: I HAVE NO INSEIDE SOURCE AT MGM, EON, SONY, OR PIERCE BROSNAN'S HOME!!! haha

Whether the inside source in this thread is legitimate or not, this information isn't really "new" and it sure doens't confirm any rumors. Aside from Adrian Paul, the other 5 probably make up the field of canidates.

In my opinion, the very best thing EON and MGM could do is get a lesser actor to play Bond. Get some no-name British guy who can act and looks the part. The name JAMES BOND is what sells. Finding an actor who is unfamiliar will cause audiences to look at him and think that he is "Bond", not "Hugh Jackman" pretending to be Bond.

#323 Pussycat

Pussycat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 10:16 PM

No disrespect intended, but why would you say the others are true candidates and rule out Paul? Adrian Paul has been in the running for Bond more than once. He was seriously considered when Pierce got it ( one of the last 3 in fact!) He wants Bond and he is a talented actor with experience who knows his way around a camera and a set. He has an international fan base and the athletic abilities in addition to the acting experience and talent to pull off Bond. He has choreographed and done more fight scenes than probably any other actor listed in the running! He is the right age for a decent Bond, looks younger than his age, and is in excellent physical condition. He would make an excellent charming, dangerous BOND, an athletic BOND who carried an edge of danger about him. He also has the hint of humor as well which Bond needs. He may not be a favorite among some of you, but I wouldn't rule him out yet!

#324 RevolveR

RevolveR

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 10:47 PM

I respect your opinion Pussycat, but Adrian Paul is in that dangerous in-between that I don't think EON will want to touch. He's no superstar, but he's not a no-name actor either. Adrian Paul is also type-cast from Highlander. Age may not be considered in letting Brosnan do anoher Bond, but you can BET that the next on will be younger. Sorry but I don't see him as a realistic option.

#325 Moomoo

Moomoo

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 11:30 PM

I doubt Paul was ever seriously considered for Bond. Eon just put on a show with all these Bond candidates and auditions. Brosnan was the only guy Eon wanted in 1994.

As a say, it was just a show to give the impression there was a great hunt for the new Bond, but it was always Brosnan. No-one else was in the race. Well maybe Paul was in the egg-and-spoon race but I digress... :)

Moomoo

Edited by Moomoo, 26 July 2004 - 11:32 PM.

#326 Pussycat

Pussycat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 12:09 AM

I know how you feel MooMoo, but I honestly don't think producers call back an actor 7 times to audition if they aren't serious about casting him. Really... what would be the point? And I remember when some people were saying "Remington Steele as Bond? No way. Not tough enough. He's typecast as Remington Steele. He's just a television actor. No one will buy him as Bond." I'd be willing to bet a few people felt the same about The Saint and Heathcliff.

#327 RevolveR

RevolveR

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:39 AM

I know how you feel MooMoo, but I honestly don't think producers call back an actor 7 times to audition if they aren't serious about casting him. Really... what would be the point? And I remember when some people were saying "Remington Steele as Bond? No way. Not tough enough. He's typecast as Remington Steele. He's just a television actor. No one will buy him as Bond." I'd be willing to bet a few people felt the same about The Saint and Heathcliff.

Pussycat that is a good point. HOWEVER, Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan were both young guys when cast as Bond. Adrian Paul is what...? 82?? hahahha

#328 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:41 AM

I know how you feel MooMoo, but I honestly don't think producers call back an actor 7 times to audition if they aren't serious about casting him. Really... what would be the point?  And I remember when some people were saying "Remington Steele as Bond? No way. Not tough enough. He's typecast as Remington Steele. He's just a television actor. No one will buy him as Bond." I'd be willing to bet a few people felt the same about The Saint and Heathcliff.

Pussycat that is a good point. HOWEVER, Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan were both young guys when cast as Bond. Adrian Paul is what...? 82?? hahahha

Hmmm, well he was born in '59.

#329 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:42 AM

I know how you feel MooMoo, but I honestly don't think producers call back an actor 7 times to audition if they aren't serious about casting him. Really... what would be the point?  And I remember when some people were saying "Remington Steele as Bond? No way. Not tough enough. He's typecast as Remington Steele. He's just a television actor. No one will buy him as Bond." I'd be willing to bet a few people felt the same about The Saint and Heathcliff.

sadly, 83 :)

#330 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:44 AM

[quote name='License To Kill' date='26 July 2004 - 23:42'] [quote name='RevolveR' date='26 July 2004 - 22:39'] [quote name='Pussycat' date='27 July 2004 - 00:09'] I know how you feel MooMoo, but I honestly don't think producers call back an actor 7 times to audition if they aren't serious about casting him. Really... what would be the point?