366 replies to this topic

#331 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:47 AM

I'm sorry everytime I watch HIGHLANDER, I laugh uncontrollably just beacuse of the theme song is so cheesy and his hair is almost as cheesy.

#332 RevolveR

RevolveR

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:48 AM

I'd say he could make 2. Although after his first one........yeah, it would be that bad :)

#333 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 06:56 PM

I know how you feel MooMoo, but I honestly don't think producers call back an actor 7 times to audition if they aren't serious about casting him. Really... what would be the point?  And I remember when some people were saying "Remington Steele as Bond? No way. Not tough enough. He's typecast as Remington Steele. He's just a television actor. No one will buy him as Bond." I'd be willing to bet a few people felt the same about The Saint and Heathcliff.

Pussycat that is a good point. HOWEVER, Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan were both young guys when cast as Bond. Adrian Paul is what...? 82?? hahahha

RevolveR it is a fact that Roger was 46 when LALD was released and Pierce was 42 when Goldeneye was released--Adrian Paul at 45 is exactly in the same age range. Eon likes to start with semi-unknown 40 somethings--the last three Bonds have been of this type. Even Jackman has said he is too young for Bond saying he should be at least 40.

The age argument is weak as has been argued elsewhere--Roger was fine until Octuopussy at 56 and the issue with Pierce is not age it is money and creative differences. Pierce look-wise can easily do 2 more Bonds into his mid 50's. Paul has a youthful look for his age like those two and can also go to mid 50's like them giving him easily 4 Bonds to do at least.

So the issue comes down to if you think he is fit for Bond--like any candidate he has his supporters and distractors. I support him as did many who voted on his credibility as Bond in a previous poll in this site and he won hands-down a national poll as best Bond in Parade magazine. And Eon has seriously considered him before. But again we all have different opinions--Paul, Jackman, Owen, Brosnan and others have been ripped on this site. Makes things interesting :)

#334 Pussycat

Pussycat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 07:43 PM

Thank you, Seannery! I can't see how Adrian Paul would be too old for Bond at all, especially considering he is younger than Pierce and looks much younger. I think of Bond as a mature agent in his 40's who has endured much, not a young 30!

As for the 83 year old comments, folks....LOL....well.....I don't think I'd be alone among the female fans if I remarked that he is ONE 83 yr old who could climb in my bedroom window anyday, with a license to kill or not!

In fact, forgive me but I have to say it....."There can be only one....83 yr old who looks like that! "

#335 RevolveR

RevolveR

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 08:40 PM

My mistake for not doing the research. Adrian Paul looks a lot older than he is...what can I say.

I feel Bond sould be as close to age 40 when cast as possible. That aside, I don't think that Adrian Paul is suave enough to pull of 007. You just have to have a certain look, and he doesn't have it. But thats just my opinion. I'm a fan of Brosnan because he is able to convince the viewers that he really is Bond. Adrian Paul would be another Lazenby because he could not convince enough people that he was Bond.

#336 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 08:40 PM

So one of those six actors will be officially announced as the next James Bond--Jackman, Owen, Firth, Gruffudd, Paul and Brosnan."

Well with the recent news, it seems this thread may soon be having a winner chosen.

#337 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:44 PM

My mistake for not doing the research. Adrian Paul looks a lot older than he is...what can I say.

I feel Bond sould be as close to age 40 when cast as possible. That aside, I don't think that Adrian Paul is suave enough to pull of 007. You just have to have a certain look, and he doesn't have it. But thats just my opinion. I'm a fan of Brosnan because he is able to convince the viewers that he really is Bond. Adrian Paul would be another Lazenby because he could not convince enough people that he was Bond.

Well we can of course diagree on who would do best as Bond. But a simple point of fact I have to point out that Paul is the farthest thing from looking old for his age. Quite the contrary. :)

#338 sheryl318

sheryl318

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:55 PM

All I have to say is go to Adrian Paul's website under NewsWire.. and check out the pic of him in the tuexdo.. GO ADRIAN.

www.adrianpaul.net
(Newswire)

sheryl

Attached Files

#339 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:03 PM

The TV guide for the upcoming week of August 1 just came out and its main article is on the "25 Greatest SCI-FI Legends". Adrian Paul as Duncan Macleod in Highlander came in an impressive #11 legend in the long history of TV. Not too shabby at all and a solid platform to jump to Bond--it certainly has given him a solid fan base to say the least. Nice little coincidence this came out virtually the same time as Pierce quitting.

#340 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:14 PM

The TV guide for the upcoming week of August 1 just came out and its main article is on the "25 Greatest SCI-FI Legends". Adrian Paul as Duncan Macleod in Highlander came in an impressive #11 legend in the long history of TV. Not too shabby at all and a solid platform to jump to Bond--it certainly has given him a solid fan base to say the least. Nice little coincidence this came out virtually the same time as Pierce quitting.

Think that may just be nothing more than a coincidence. TV Guide often focuses on such stars, it's not as if we haven't seen Jackman mentioned or something like that before.

#341 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:24 PM

I think John Edwards is going to get it. He's going to accept it tonight.

#342 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:26 PM

Yes Qwerty I wasn't implying it was anything other than coincidence. Jokingly just saying synchronicity--some strange cosmic connection :)

#343 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:39 PM

I think John Edwards is going to get it. He's going to accept it tonight.

Now there's the style of recent news. Crazed and difficult to believe.

#344 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:43 PM

Ok, here's more....Ted Kennedy to be UN Ambassador if Kerry wins Presidency

#345 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:07 PM

Ok, here's more....Ted Kennedy to be UN Ambassador if Kerry wins Presidency

As I've said before, this Bond news can do some pretty weird stuff. :)

#346 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:55 PM

It's more interesting that TV Guide named Adrian Paul's Highlander an all-time SCI-FI TV legend--impressive.

#347 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:56 PM

It's more interesting that TV Guide named Adrian Paul's Highlander an all-time SCI-FI TV legend--impressive.

Well I'm not going to get into bashing, too much of that. I do think that some of the members on here favor him and the show though.

#348 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:59 PM

Yes all Bonds and candidates get bashed around here. Lot of different opinions around. And no one is shy here :)

#349 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:01 PM

I noticed that also in some of the pictures, especially when his hair is back. Just not a very Bondish suave look.

#350 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:07 PM

[quote name='Qwerty' date='28 July 2004 - 21:01'] [quote name='RevolveR' date='27 July 2004 - 16:40'] My mistake for not doing the research.

Edited by Seannery, 28 July 2004 - 09:01 PM.

#351 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:15 PM

[quote name='Seannery' date='28 July 2004 - 16:07'] [quote name='Qwerty' date='28 July 2004 - 21:01'] [quote name='RevolveR' date='27 July 2004 - 16:40'] My mistake for not doing the research.

#352 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:46 PM

Cool Qwerty we disagree and posting opinions is what this site is all about. No problemo. You have the right to be wrong! :) Don't get mad--just kidding! :) I've seen recent pictures some posted on this site and he just simply looks young.

Maybe we can end on agreement on this statement--The powers that be will decide if he is young looking enough to be Bond. That is the view that counts. Not our subjective ones.

Edited by Seannery, 28 July 2004 - 09:58 PM.

#353 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:48 PM

Maybe we can end on agreement on this statement--The powers that be will decide if he is young looking enough to be Bond. That is the view that counts. Not our subjective ones.

Of course, that's a given.

#354 Bond Bug

Bond Bug

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:58 PM

I think age is more of an issue and I would expect either a younger Bond actor or one who is a proven hit with a younger audience.

I say this because the movies aren't attracting enough of the younger market.

If you compare now to the best Moore days and compare Die Another Day with Goldeneye, you can see the producers have rested on their laurals and aren't attracting enough of the younger audience.

Ticket sales of DAD were lower than Goldeneye, so no more younger viewers are being attracted than older ones getting bored (or dying).

All the big rival franchises, Austin Powers, Lord of the Rings, Spiderman etc have a core of young viewers. Bond needs to become cooler, with a less aloof actor to attract that audience and it will take far more money and sell far more video games and merchandise.

Orlando Bloom is one actor to draw a younger demographic because of his youth and association with some very big franchises, Hugh Jackman is another because of the X-men success and Van Helsing. Clive Owen would be an utter disaster in box office terms. Eric Bana, somewhere between.

#355 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:59 PM

Another thought came to me recently that maybe Clive Owen has been protesting too much about having no contact or interest in Bond. Perhaps he is all signed up but doesn't want to seem like he was pushing popular Pierce out. Hence his effusive compliments about the success that Pierce brought to Bond and his strong praise on how well Pierce performed Bond. Now having said all that and Pierce perhaps given a graceful way out Clive can then come in without seemingly pushing Pierce out the door.

Just a theory. One that came about because his compliments about Pierce seemed a bit overdone and struck me as though something didn't smell right.

#356 Bond Bug

Bond Bug

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:11 PM

I have no doubt Sean that Eon would have asked Brosnan to announce he was done with Bond if he wasn't going to do it out of his own initiative.

I suppose it is possible Owen has Bond bagged and that's why he is cagey and nice about Brosnan. I just hope not! But maybe he would exceed my expectations.

#357 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:45 PM

I agree Bond Bug. Clive Owen wouldn't be my first choice either. A little too one dimensionally glum--but you could do worse like Eric Bana.

#358 Pussycat

Pussycat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:03 AM

I hate to be negative, and I try not to bash any actor mentioned because everyone has favorites but I have to say Bana does not say "Bond" to me.
If they choose him and pass on Adrian Paul for the role, something is very wrong!

And while we're talking...I really like Hugh Grant and enjoy watching him, but there is NO WAY he is Bond.

#359 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:35 AM

I hate to be negative, and I try not to bash any actor mentioned because everyone has favorites but I have to say Bana does not say "Bond" to me.
If they choose him and pass on Adrian Paul for the role, something is very wrong!

And while we're talking...I really like Hugh Grant and enjoy watching him, but there is NO WAY he is Bond.

Hugh Grant is a fine actor and person. He would not make a fine Bond, he'd make a terrible one. Could never even imagine a seriously taken Bond film with him in it.

#360 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 10:27 AM

Another thought came to me recently that maybe Clive Owen has been protesting too much about having no contact or interest in Bond. Perhaps he is all signed up but doesn't want to seem like he was pushing popular Pierce out. Hence his effusive compliments about the success that Pierce brought to Bond and his strong praise on how well Pierce performed Bond. Now having said all that and Pierce perhaps given a graceful way out Clive can then come in without seemingly pushing Pierce out the door.

Just a theory. One that came about because his compliments about Pierce seemed a bit overdone and struck me as though something didn't smell right.

I hope that theory of yours is correct. I really want to see Owen as Bond. :)