#91 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Loomis

Yeah, but there's already a couple of Benson threads in which to discuss them.

This was not addressed to you (Loomis) . I was asking "Crashdive " a question . Yes out side the realm of this thread . But still related to James Bond .

#92 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 04:24 PM

Yeah? Well, try and keep on topic, if you don't mind. That's what we have different threads for. And as for your addressing crashdrive only, I believe you'll find if you read his most recent post on this thread that he was also asking you to remain on topic. Why on earth are you asking about Benson here?

#93 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 09:48 PM

Ok, it's been a month since I first registered here (wow 280 posts since I got started? Where did I leave my life? :)). Where do I stand now? Is West still my favorite to replace Brosnan?

The answer?

Yes. Although I agree he's not in the same league as Jackman, Owen & Northam (meaning they have a better shot), I do think West would be a better choice. I rented 'William Shakespeare's A Midsummers Night Dream' last week to remind me how much I liked West and I thought; "I like him, but I can't blame other people not liking him". His accent was a little too posh for Bond. He could have been a little taller (6'2 instead of 6'0) and he's definately no Brosnan when it comes to the looks department (he's more the 'Dougray Scott-type'). But I think this guy has the presence and the talent to become the new Bond. Check out the video clips at HBO's 'The Wire'. Especially "Detective William 'Bunk' Moreland" where you can hear a short narration by West in an American accent. You can also catch a glimpse of him in that clip.

Like I said before, I won't blame you guys for not liking him, but he definately has my vote. I'd like to quote the Village People by saying; "Go West!"

#94 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 10:14 PM

Great 280 post . Average the one between ourselves the number might be less . Still great. Jackman , Norhtam , West , Owen are all still long shots. West especially .

#95 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 10:48 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
Jackman , Norhtam , West , Owen are all still long shots.

If they are the long shots; who are the obvious choices :)

Check out some of West's work and tell me what you think. He played Renee Zellwegers abusive husband in 'Chicago' who she ends up shooting. Maybe you remember him. Check out 'The Wire' video's.

#96 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 11:03 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive

If they are the long shots; who are the obvious choices :)
Check out some of West's work and tell me what you think. He played Renee Zellwegers abusive husband in 'Chicago' who she ends up shooting. Maybe you remember him. Check out 'The Wire' video's.

"Chicago" is a overrated film. I will wait too catch it on cable . EON my surprise all of us with a unique pick. Maybe Fiennes , who knows.

#97 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 11:09 PM

You already said you didn't like 'Chicago' but do you remember West in it? Fiennes is definately out of the race. Can't believe you still take that Radio Times poll serious.

#98 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 11:29 PM

You already said you didn't like 'Chicago' but do you remember West in it? Fiennes is definately out of the race. Can't believe you still take that Radio Times poll serious.

I was forced to see it on a date i read a book and really didnt pay attention. I love movie musicals , but not a musical i can still see on Broadway. Nicole Kidman killed it for me .

#99 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 09:39 AM

"Chicago" is a overrated film. I will wait too catch it on cable .  EON my surprise all of us with a unique pick. Maybe Fiennes , who knows.

Bond and LOTR Scored better here than Chicago. :)

1. Two weaks Notiche
2. Catch me if you can
3. Die Another Day
4. LOTR 2
5. Chicago

#100 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:41 PM

Originally posted by M_Balje
1. Two weaks Notice
5. Chicago

*ahum* that's not something I would brag about :)

So kev, you don't remember West in 'Chicago' (hate it when you don't give a straight answer :))

#101 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 08:19 PM

In an interview with columnists Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith, Brosnan says he could see possibly starring in two more James Bond pics, but no more. Brosnan will probably retire in 2007/2008. The first Bond film with Bond actor number six will be released in 2010. My boy Dominic West will be 39/40. The perfect age to replace Brosnan. Still I have to admit it's way too early to say whether West looks the part 7 (!) years from now. My other favorite candidate Jack Davenport will be 37 that year. Also a great age.

#102 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 08:31 PM

Jack Davenport , now you other favorite candidate ? what happen to Hugh Jackman , Northam , Gerald Butler ? Those interviews are for the general public . Brosnan is done will before then .

#103 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 09:17 PM

Jack Davenport , now you other favorite candidate ? what happen to Hugh Jackman , Northam , Gerald Butler ? Those interviews are for the general public . Brosnan is done will before then .

West has always been my first choice. Jackman still is the frontrunner as far as I'm concerned and I wouldn't mind seeing him as Bond. Northam will definately be too old if Brosnan will make 'Bond 22', so that will put him out of the running. Butler is another candidate I wouldn't mind, but first I have to make sure he's not gay and second I have to see him in more films.

And I don't think Brosnan would say something like that in an interview to comfort fans. In earlier interviews he always said he wanted to play Bond in seven films. After his injury, he's a little more carefull. I think Bond 22 starring Brosnan will happen.

#104 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 09:35 PM

Butler is another candidate I wouldn't mind, but first I have to make sure he's not gay and second I have to see him in more films.
And I don't think Brosnan would say something like that in an interview to comfort fans. In earlier interviews he always said he wanted to play Bond in seven films. After his injury, he's a little more carefull. I think Bond 22 starring Brosnan will happen.

Good luck gathering that information with regards to Gerald Butler's sexuality . That mission even 007 might refuse !! Jackman , West , Northam , only time will tell . Since a lot can happen in 6 years . 2005 would be Brosnan 10th anniversary in the role . So it depends on what type of film Bond 21 is . I am reperting myself . But Crashdive , it just the fact . Bond is due one flop . If Bond 21 is not a film that tops DAD in every way . Then Bond 22 may not happen . Remember how Brosnan keeps giveing interview on choices for Bond Directors. It Hollywood.

#105 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 09:47 PM

Don't worry, I'll just keep an eye on the tabloids. Butler's name will be printed sooner or later.
I still don't see why you make such a big deal about what type of film Bond 21 will be. 'TWINE' & 'DAD' were very different from each other, but they were both hits. 'Bond 21' will be a hit aswell. Mark my words. Why wouldn't it be?
And what does the fact that Brosnan likes to name his personal choices in interviews has to do with his departure from the role?

#106 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 09:52 PM

Not a thing with the role. It just media driven hype in Hollywood . Plus MGM stock would drop it he announced now that he would not star in at leat one more after Bond 21 . Call it gut feeling about what kind of Bond film # 21 will be . But it has to at least equal if not surpass "DAD" . Well it be a hit as will . Once again time well tell . A lot will be riding on Bond 21.

#107 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 10:07 PM

Not a thing with the role. It just media driven hype in Hollywood . Plus MGM stock would drop it he announced now that he would not star in at leat one more after Bond 21 . Call it gut feeling about what kind of Bond film # 21 will be . But it has to at least equal if not surpass "DAD" . Well it be a hit as will . Once again time well tell . A lot will be riding on Bond 21.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would Brosnan even comment to a question like that and lie? Just to comfort the shareholders? Why would he lie about one film? He would be better off saying he's going to make at least three of four. But I don't think he's not telling the truth.
It doesn't matter if Bond 21 is not as big a succes as 'DAD'. It was the 40th anniversary. I'm sure MGM expects 'Bond 21' to do not aswell. Still I'm sure it will be a big hit. Bond has never been a bigger succes. Bond 21 will just be another Bond blockbuster.

#108 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 10:12 PM

IT does make sense . When the studio you work for is in deep financial trouble . Why not play the good soldier . Which Brosnan has been .Anyway 2007 is a long way off . Let see what Bond 21 shapes up to be. MGM want another DAD . Plus the little known fact of Brosnan's legacy is in the balance . He want very badly a "FRWL" . He does not want to be remember for content re-makes of "TSWLM"/TND .

#109 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 10:52 PM

Well I wouldn't be surprised if 'TWINE' made more profit than 'DAD'. Although 'DAD' was a bigger hit, the budget of 'TWINE' was almost $75 million lower. Also, MGM spend a lot more money on advertising.
I think Brosnan's Bonds have been anything but 'TSWLM' remakes. Especially 'GoldenEye' and 'TWINE' were terrific Bond films. 'DAD' didn't change into a more 'TSWLM'-esque Bond film after the Q scene. Brosnan really liked 'DAD', 'GE' & 'TWINE'. Brosnan, EON, the fans and MGM are very satisfied with the way the franchise is going. I don't expect a change of pace, so I doubt Bond 21 will be anything but a success.

#110 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 01:10 PM

Well I wouldn't be surprised if 'TWINE' made more profit than 'DAD'. Although 'DAD' was a bigger hit, the budget of 'TWINE' was almost $75 million lower. Also, MGM spend a lot more money on advertising.
I think Brosnan's Bonds have been anything but 'TSWLM' remakes. Especially 'GoldenEye' and 'TWINE' were terrific Bond films. 'DAD' didn't change into a more 'TSWLM'-esque Bond film after the Q scene. Brosnan really liked 'DAD', 'GE' & 'TWINE'. Brosnan, EON, the fans and MGM are very satisfied with the way the franchise is going. I don't expect a change of pace, so I doubt Bond 21 will be anything but a success.

What was the totla budget for "TWINE" . I am surprised to hear that it was lower than "DAD" . Yet here on the threads it's one of the more [popular films . Yet people have written post against it . TND is not one of Brosnan's favorite ? I am surprised . Why ?

#111 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 26 February 2003 - 02:11 PM

Good luck gathering that information with regards to Gerald Butler's sexuality .

Don't look too far crashdrive. I'm sure his passports denotes his sex as "male." :)

#112 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat

Don't look too far crashdrive. I'm sure his passports denotes his sex as "male." :)

Sexuality and gender i.e. male or female are not the same . It has been reported , as per post form Mr. Crashdive that Butler is a Homosexual . Like Mr .Rupert Everett , who i feel would be fine as Bond . I don't give a **** what he sleeps with . Also long as he is a good Bond . I doubt that EON would risk it meal-ticket on a openly gay or closited gau actor.

#113 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 02:39 PM

In an interview with columnists Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith, Brosnan says he could see possibly starring in two more James Bond pics, but no more. Brosnan will probably retire in 2007/2008. The first Bond film with Bond actor number six will be released in 2010.

If this is True (It's wating to 2005) iam Happy.
I say always that Brosnan can play Bond for the last time in Bond 22 in 2007 or 2008.

#114 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 26 February 2003 - 11:50 PM

Sexuality and gender i.e. male or female are not the same .  It has been reported , as per post form Mr. Crashdive that Butler is a Homosexual.

Doh!

The point I was trying to imply was that it's not if one is gay or not as long as one is male to play Bond. Has to be male.

And I agree with you that as long as someone is a good Bond, who he sleeps with is irrelevant.

#115 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 01:31 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat

Doh!
The point I was trying to imply was that it's not if one is gay or not as long as one is male to play Bond. Has to be male.
And I agree with you that as long as someone is a good Bond, who he sleeps with is irrelevant.

You kind of lost me here . He will not paly Bond . Then if Gay Actor can be considered then Rupert Everett should become James Bond . He certainly looks the part .

#116 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 01:58 PM

'Time magazine' chose 'The Wire' starring Dominic West as the #1 television show of 2002!

THE WIRE (HBO)
"In 13 episodes, the series captured in pointillist detail the machinations of a bureaucracy-plagued police investigation and the drug dealers

#117 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 04:12 PM

CrashDrive . Dominic West is not that handsome to be Bond . Both Brosnan and Moore where very handsome . And both age perfectly in the role . Moore in the "TSWLM /FYEO" was great to look at . Truly the world-weary gentlemen spy . The same for Brosnan especially in "TWINE/DAD". I would hope that the producers would go in another direction with James Bond . Before hiring West . In fact i would rather they keep Brosnan beyond age 55 . If Dominic West is their only real candidate.

#118 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 06:52 PM

They can have an ugly Bond. Look at Timothy Dalton for Crying Out Loud. I got the DVD from Netflix the other day and was watching the trailers for it, and boy, was he ugly.

#119 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 07:04 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
They can have an ugly Bond.  Look at Timothy Dalton for Crying Out Loud.  I got the DVD from Netflix the other day and was watching the trailers for it, and boy, was he ugly.

Read Ian Fleming discription of James Bond. Timothy Dalton look fine as Bond . The reason why Roger Moore did not get the role in 1961 . Was that he was thought to Pretty . Dominic West is not a James Bond type.

#120 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 08:40 PM

I think Chandler has a point. I don't think Dominic looks less handsome than Timothy Dalton. I think West is more conventionally handsome or else he would not have played the love interest of actresses like Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts. Not even Dalton played a lot of romantic leads in his thirties. And Dominic is a guy who looks better and better as he ages. I think he'll look perfect six years from now. I don't think his appearance will get in the way.