164 replies to this topic

#121 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 01:01 PM

Timothy Dalton was one of Britain leading stage actor . It's hard to compare his career to a small time bit player . If you look at the physical description of James Bond (literary of course) . Timothy Dalton fit it to a tee .

#122 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 01:36 PM

Kev, you tried to make an argument why West couldn't play Bond, by saying he is not handsome enough. But I don't think West is less handsome than Dalton. Like Dalton, Dominic West shares exactly the same physical characteristics like hair colour, height and build as Flemings description of Bond. That West's career is not as impressive as Daltons is besides the point. Connery's resume before 'Dr. No' wasn't impressive and Lazenby wasn't even a fulltime actor. West is more than just a 'small time bit player'. He stars in one of the most critically acclaimed television shows of last year 'The Wire', plays a supporting role in the Academy Award Best Picture winner 'Chicago', played one of the leads in 'William Shakespeare's A Midsummers Night Dream' alongside Kevin Kline, Michelle Pfeifer & Christian Bale and '28 Days' alongside Sandra Bullock and Viggo Mortensen. And in his next film 'Mona Lisa Smile' again he will play one of the leads as the loveinterest of superstar Julia Roberts. I think that's a whole lot better than 'Darby O Gill and the Little People' or a commercial.

#123 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 02:49 PM

somew else started that . Dalton was asked by Cubby Broccoli several time to play Bond . Especially during Diamond Are Forever . And even befroe during On Her Majesty Secret Service. Look Face It ! Dominic West is not going to be James Bond . Frankly it would mark the end of the series.

#124 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 03:06 PM

Ok, let's try this again. These are your exact words:

Originally posted by kevrichardson
CrashDrive . Dominic West is not that handsome to be Bond.

I don't think West is any less handsome than former Bond actor Timothy Dalton, so I don't think your argument is a valid one. He's definately more conventionally handsome than Bond candidates like Dougray Scott, Clive Owen and Paul Bettany or else he wouldn't be the loveinterest of beautifull actresses like Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts. If you make comments like "Dominic West is not going to be James Bond . Frankly it would mark the end of the series.", please try to explain why. So far you haven't given me a valid argument. That Dalton was approached years before he was cast doesn't mean a thing. Lazenby was approached less than a year before production began. I don't see any reason why West is not going to be Bond or that his casting would mark the end of the series.

#125 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 05:59 PM

CrashDrive . I dont have to give YOU a valid reason for my distaste towards Dominic West . I am also sick of the anti -Dalton element in this group. On Mr. West after Connery , Lazenby , Moore , Dalton and now Brosnan . It would be in the best interest of EON/MGM . I cast some other than Dominic West . Yes i feel , i am sure other may also . That if cast Dominic West would spell the end of Cinematic Bond . Let me remind you of something . I dont give a **** about Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts . The kinds of films that they star in i never go to see anyway . James Bond is one screen for the entire film ! I dont think Mr. West could carry a film for over 2 hours. A film which requires Action , Broad satire , Romance . Just because you want him . Doesn't mean that other do or that the Powers That Be At EON would consider him .

#126 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 06:37 PM

Well kev, just because you don't want him does not mean EON will not consider him. And I guess you can't give me a valid argument why EON will not be interested in West.

p.s. What anti-Dalton element? I love Dalton. Untill Brosnan made 'The World is Not Enough', Timothy was my favorite Bond actor after Connery.

#127 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 06:44 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive
Well kev, just because you don't want him does not mean EON will not consider him. And I guess you can't give me a valid argument why EON will not be interested in West.
p.s. What anti-Dalton element? I love Dalton. Untill Brosnan made 'The World is Not Enough', Timothy was my favorite Bond actor after Connery.

EON CAN CONSIDER ANYONE IT WANTS . THE FALL OUT FROM A PERSON NOT CAPABLE OF FOLLOWING BROSNAN WILL NOT FALL ON ME .BARBARA BROCCOLI AND MICHAEL G. WILSON WILL BEAR THAT CROSS. YES I WILL NO LONGER CARE TO WATCH CINEMATIC BOND IF SOME ONE LIKE DOMINIC WEST IS CHOSEN . WHY UNLIKE THE PROIR GENTLEMEN WHO HAVE PLAY JAMES BOND . HE DOES NOT HAVE THAT SEXUAL ASSURANCE THAT IS A IMPORTANT ELEMENT IN BOND. HE JUST LOOKS LIKE ANY 2 BIT HOLLYWOOD ACTOR . WITH A GOOD AGENT. LOOK THE REAL REASON YOU WANT HIM IS YOU AND HIM HAVE THE SAME FEATURES . AND YOU'RE HIS STUNT-DOUBLE!!

#128 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 06:53 PM

Since you typed it in all caps, I'm sure he really did get the point.

#129 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:21 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Since you typed it in all caps, I'm sure he really did get the point.

it was a mistake to type in all cap. did not know until after . Yet there is a MAFIA afoot here. If you donot agree with them . Then you are totally wrong. If Dominic West is a possible candidate for Bond#6 . Then great if chosen , well like Brosnan in "GoldenEye". I will have to see ! I personally warmed up to Brosnan by the time of Tomorrow Never Dies . fell in love with his Bond with TWINE. I am just sick of having this guy RAMMED down my throat .

#130 Bondfan007

Bondfan007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:58 PM

i still think Hugh Jackman would play a good Bond. Whe you watc X-Men there is a part when hes walking down a hall ad hes just got that bond look on his face, all you gotta do is picture him without the sideburns. I still like him to be the next choice to be 007.

#131 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 08:22 PM

At the moment I definately think Jackman is the best choice. I'm just afraid franchises like 'X-Men' and 'Van Helsing' will keep him out of the running. I think West would make a suitable replacement if Jackman is not able to sign on.

Kev, it's virtually impossible to find a candidate who is quite as good as Brosnan. I mean, who of the current Bond candidates does have that 'sexual assurance'? Personally I didn't think Dalton had that quality. You may not think West could handle the role, but I think he definately has potential. Especially with six more years worth of movie experience under his belt. If memory serves me right, you still have not seen him in anything with the possible exception of his role in 'Chicago' where he played a totally different character from Bond. Check out 'The Wire'. If you don't feel he's right, fine, but again that doesn't mean other people necessarily agree with you.

And personally I don't think I look like Dominic. Check the picture I attachted to make up your own mind. :)

And if you're sick of West, please do us all a favor and don't reply or read messages from this thread. Nobody is holding a gun to your head you know. Your 'maf(f)ia' comment however was totally uncalled for. I always listen to what other people have to say, but it helps if they have valid arguments.

#132 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 01:35 PM

At the moment I definately think Jackman is the best choice...... if you're sick of West, please do us all a favor and don't reply or read messages from this thread. Nobody is holding a gun to your head you know. Your 'maf(f)ia' comment however was totally uncalled for. I always listen to what other people have to say, but it helps if they have valid arguments.

Right Brosnan is a very tough act to follow . Jackman is the leading candidiate ! Let's wait and see how the X-Men and the Van Helsing films due before counting him out . My Mafia comment still stands . As i said you re his stunt double . Remember Douglas James has made a career out of his 2 minutes in TND.

#133 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 02:59 PM

Kev, you might want to read your own messages once in a while. Quite often you come across as extremely hostile and unpleasant. Here are just a few examples:

"No!!! ... I am of the opinion that Bond should end after Brosnan. Since the list of names given are ****." (07-02-2003)
"That's the last thing the franchises needs is a "Wuss"." (19-02-2003)
"This was not addressed to you (Loomis)"
"Look Face It ! Dominic West is not going to be James Bond . Frankly it would mark the end of the series."
"I dont have to give YOU a valid reason for my distaste towards Dominic West ."
"I dont give a **** about Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts ."
"there is a MAFIA afoot here. If you donot agree with them . Then you are totally wrong. I am just sick of having this guy RAMMED down my throat ."

Before you're going to throw a comment like that at me, you might wanna change your own style of writing. Your comment was totally uncalled for. If you don't think he's right for the part, fine, just say so. But don't make comments like he's not even a potential candidate or that his presence would mark the end of the franchise, because you don't have arguments to back-up these claims.

P.s. Who is Douglas James? :)

#134 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 03:09 PM

I am not attacking you personally . Again the is a element here that if you donot agree with them you are wrong . I really do not know him . Dominic West to like or dislike him . He just does not do it for me as James Bond. We will find out in 2007 which direction the Bond Franchise will go . So let's just wait . Shall we. Look up Douglas James on the Internet . He claims to be Brosnan stunt double in "TND" . The Dominic West stunt double jazz was just a JOKE . Which you misunderstood.

#135 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 03:19 PM

If the mafia comment was not aimed at me, why bring it up? You could have expected that I would take it personal. But if you don't feel Dominic West fits your mental image of Bond, that's fine. Time will tell who will end up with the part. The fans favorite and the frontrunner is Hugh Jackman, I guess we can all agree about that.

#136 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 03:25 PM

Look Handsome i did not fly off the handle when you kept shooting down my candidates ! it still just a fan website. Why does the term MAFIA bother you?

#137 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 03:40 PM

Your candidates? Which ones? And I'm sure I didn't shoot down your candidates. I never do that. Only if I think there are valid arguments why certain actors could not play the part or are not realistic candidates. Shooting down means dismissing without good reason.

And the term mafia bothers me because it comes off very hostile.

#138 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 03:42 PM

Shooting down means dismissing without good reason.
And the term mafia bothers me because it comes off very hostile.

Just a figure of speech . Not trying to be hostile.

#139 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 03:47 PM

Could you give me examples of candidates you suggested I "shot down" kev?

#140 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 03:05 PM

Look at these pictures and tell me Dominic West isn't a perfect candidate to replace Brosnan.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#141 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 07:11 PM

crash drive, i just cant see for the life of me anything about west that is bond like...nothing, i have seen it in other men who's pics we have seen, but not in west

#142 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 01:55 AM

IMO, West does not have what it takes to be James Bond. He's quite ugly. I asked my mom and my aunt if they thought he was good looking
and they both said the same thing: Ugly. I really doubt he will ever become James Bond and I think he has the least potential, but that's just my opinion.

#143 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 09:35 PM

Posted Image
What can I say? He looks like a perfect Bond to me. (surprise surprise)

#144 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 10:30 PM

He looks like a villian. Not very attractive, at least not in a Bondian way. Sorry, but no way jose for this guy as 007.

#145 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 05:15 AM

just toooooooooooooooooooooooooo ugly to be james bond, no chance in hell he will ever get it

#146 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 02:00 PM

Dominic West has been one of my top choices for two and a half years now. Back than nobody had ever heard of him and he had only starred in a handfull of films nobody had seen. When I started this thread almost six months ago, West was still an unknown actor. Since then however his star has been rising and rising like an unstoppable force. And with the following report it looks like there is no turning back; West, like Gerard Butler and Clive Owen, is on the verge of becoming a Hollywood leading man. 'The Hollywood Reporter' reports that Dominic West is in talks to star as the lead opposite Julianne Moore, who is currently starring opposite Pierce Brosnan in 'Laws of Attraction', in Revolution Studios' The Forgotten for director Joseph Ruben.

Written by Gerald DiPego, "Forgotten" will see Moore star as Telly Paretta, a grieving mother struggling to cope with the loss of her 8-year-old son. She is stunned when her psychiatrist tells her she has created eight years of memories of a son she never had. But when she meets a fellow patient, Ash Corell (West), who has a similar experience, Telly embarks on a mission to prove her son's existence -- and her sanity.

For an ugly guy, he's doing pretty darn good :)

#147 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 04:18 PM

west and every one else can sit down cause i think jackman has got it, i think we will see him as bond, weather thats good or bad remains to be seen

#148 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:14 PM

Dominic-West.com recently posted the following picture of Dom. Eventhough I still have my doubts about his looks, I really feel that I would believe him as Bond. And that's more than I can say of a majority of the important Bond candidates at the moment.
Posted Image
I love his look here. Distinguished yet cool and kind of thuggish, like he means business and knows how to handle himself. I'm aware that he's not one of the popular (or even accessible) candidates, but I just like him. I think he has what it takes.

#149 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 02:36 PM

no. he looks more like as Sean Bean in GoldenEye. for the bad guy he's a good choice , but for Bond Clive Owen or Gerald Butler are better...

#150 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 07:13 PM

no. he looks more like as Sean Bean in GoldenEye. for the bad guy he's a good choice , but for Bond Clive Owen or Gerald Butler are better...

Well, that's your opinion :)

Just got back from 'Mona Lisa Smile' and the guy oozed charisma. Something I didn't get from Butler after 'Lara Croft: The Cradle of Life'. Owen doesn't fit my mental image of Bond; too average looking. The only actor I'd prefer over West would be Jackman.