164 replies to this topic

#31 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 04:07 PM

Roger Donaldson is very good , would do well as a Bond Director. I like John Boorman , thought that he got a great performance out of Brosnan in "The Tailor of Panama" . Besides he is British , has great visual style . I wll have to look up the others . i am of the mind set that Brosnan will hang -it up after Bond 21. Unless the money is too great to turn down. Felt that he really looked the part in TWINE. But today it all depends on what type of "Personal Trainer" he has . He should cut back on the "Gunness" . Starting to look a bit bloated. Brosnan could do another Bond in 2007 , especially if Speilberg can crank out another "Indiana Jones" , with elderly Harrison Ford. Then by all means Brosnan came do Bond 22. but in my opinion he should start to prepare for that now since 5 years will go bye fast

#32 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 04:17 PM

Boorman is one of my favorite directors, but I doubt he would agree to direct a Bond film. His work ethics would not work well under the wings of EON. He's used to total creative control. Something EON can't give him. Also, his films are not audience friendly. He doesn't do blockbusters. Donaldson however is just the kind of director EON is looking for. Directors who lack a strong personal style, can direct popular cinema and won't mind working under EON.

I think Brosnan still looked great in 'Die Another Day'. It's a shame he wants to make one Bond movie every three years. Now it all depends on how he will age the next couple of years. Bond 21 won't be a problem, but time will tell whether or not Brosnan would look good enough for Bond 22.

#33 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 04:25 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive
Boorman is one of my favorite directors, but I doubt he would agree to direct a Bond film. His work ethics would not work well under the wings of EON. He's used to total creative control. Something EON can't give him. Also, his films are not audience friendly. He doesn't do blockbusters. Donaldson however is just the kind of director EON is looking for. Directors who lack a strong personal style, can direct popular cinema and won't mind working under EON.
I think Brosnan still looked great in 'Die Another Day'. It's a shame he wants to make one Bond movie every three years. Now it all depends on how he will age the next couple of years. Bond 21 won't be a problem, but time will tell whether or not Brosnan would look good enough for Bond 22.

I feel that the 3 year "rule" is based on getting a good script . we forget the "nightmare" that Brosnan had during TND. The 3 year wait , worked wonders for the series. It also give them time to get the "Aston-Martin" together .Remember the "problems" withBMW. all the car that where used in the 3 films . They where only bodyshells , especially in the case of the Z8 . The director thing is the real problem. John Boorman and many other named in post would do a excellent job. The limited vision of the producers is the problem. also a failure to get good screenwriters. I am "bored" with Purvis and Wade. will they be back.

#34 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 04:43 PM

The three year gap also has a lot do with the fact that Brosnan can make other films in those years and have a life. If it's all about getting a good script, more power to them, but I thought 'TND' & 'TWINE' were better movies then 'DAD', eventhough those movies only had two years worth of pre-production.

Boorman would have been excellent. Shame he won't be able to do one. I don't think EON's vision is too limited. It has to be, because they want to protect their baby. I think 'GE', 'TND', 'TWINE' & 'DAD' are a lot better than the average Moore film. I think EON is doing a good job. All they need now is milestone Bond film like 'Goldfinger' & 'The Spy Who Loved Me'. 'GoldenEye' comes very close.

#35 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 04:50 PM

The three year gap also has a lot do with the fact that Brosnan can make other films in those years and have a life. If it's all about getting a good script, more power to them, but I thought 'TND' & 'TWINE' were better movies then 'DAD', eventhough those movies only had two years worth of pre-production.
Boorman would have been excellent. Shame he won't be able to do one. I don't think EON's vision is too limited. It has to be, because they want to protect their baby. I think 'GE', 'TND', 'TWINE' & 'DAD' are a lot better than the average Moore film. I think EON is doing a good job. All they need now is milestone Bond film like 'Goldfinger' & 'The Spy Who Loved Me'. 'GoldenEye' comes very close.

Excellent . I still think the 3 years was good for DAD. I agree with you on the "milestone" film point. this is why a lot will rest on Bond 21.

#36 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 06:41 PM

Haha, let's try not to go off topic. So what do you think of Dominic West?

#37 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 06:46 PM

Haha, let's try not to go off topic. So what do you think of Dominic West?

Truth be told. I will just have to see one of his films. And keep an open mind, like i did with both Dalton and Brosnan. Recommend a film , since you clear hold him in great store.

#38 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 07:00 PM

I'd probably suggest 'William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream' & '28 Days', because he has considerable screentime in those flicks (warning: '28 Days' is not by all means a good film, but he cashes in on his knucklehead charm in that flick). Of course you should watch 'Chicago', since it promises to be a great flick, but the real test should be 'Mona Lisa Smile' coming in the end of this year. I don't know if the tv show 'The Wire' is on a network near you, but there you can also see what he's made off (and you don't have to pay rental fees;))

#39 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for the information. I can get "Wire" . And the Shakespeare also on DVD. I will keep a open mind.

#40 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 07:34 PM

I definately recommend The Wire. Let me know what you think.

#41 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 04:40 PM

Crashdrive we're all loosing hair

#42 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Kingdom Come
Crashdrive we're all loosing hair

???

#43 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 10:11 AM

Jeremy Northam is already 42 years old. Brosnan will make at least one more Bond film. That film will be released in 2005. That means the next Bond wouldn't take over till 2007. Northam will be 46. That's too old to play Bond.

At the moment I really like the idea of Dominic West playing Bond. When Brosnan steps down, West will be in his late thirties, which is perfect. At the moment he has an impressive list of credits, but he's not a big star yet. That means he wouldn't be too expensive. He also looks and sounds the part.

Because the next Bond will probably be introduced no sooner then 2007, actors like Matt Day, Jack Davenport, Ioan Gruffudd & Gerard Butler may have matured enough also to be considered serious candidates. I happen to think these actors also have potential.

Clive Owen is in 2010 46 years old to and can make in my story 5 movie's. (look to my Sig: Bond 23&Bond 24 in 2010 and here)
Here have an picture of you Dominic West.
Mabey is he good for play in an part of The X-Files.

#44 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 10:24 AM

I have maded an nice picture of Owen.

#45 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 10:30 AM

First of all, M_Balje, why are there so many spelling errors in your posts? My messages aren't flawless either, but I have trouble reading many of your opinions.

Second of all, as I mentioned before, I think Owen wouldn't be the best choice to play Bond. In short, I think he lacks Bonds signature good looks and sex appeal. Check out this picture from the show 'Sharman'. Although he's dressed very much like Bond, I don't think he looks convincing.

As for West, he's a star on the rise. He starred in his own high quality show and can be seen in one of the biggest hits of the year 'Chicago'. He'll co-star alongside Julia Roberts in Mike Newell's 'Mona Lisa Smile'. Be good for 'The X Files'? He's too good for 'The X Files'.

#46 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 02:07 AM

Maybe we should start a thread with realistic Bond candidates, since many are already out of the race. My top five of Bond candidates looks like this:

1. Dominic West ('Chicago', '28 Days' & 'Mona Lisa Smile')
2. Hugh Jackman ('X Men', 'Swordfish' & 'Kate and Leopold')
3. Gerard Butler ('Reign of Fire', 'Timeline' & 'Lara Croft and the Cradle of Life')
4. Jack Davenport ('The Talented Mr. Ripley', 'Fierce Creatures' & 'Pirates of the Caribbean')
5. Jeremy Northam ('The Net', 'The Winslow Boy' & 'Enigma')

#47 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 02:11 AM

Maybe we should start a thread with realistic Bond candidates, since many are already out of the race. My top five of Bond candidates looks like this:
1. Dominic West ('Chicago', '28 Days' & 'Mona Lisa Smile')
2. Hugh Jackman ('X Men', 'Swordfish' & 'Kate and Leopold')
3. Gerard Butler ('Reign of Fire', 'Timeline' & 'Lara Croft and the Cradle of Life')
4. Jack Davenport ('The Talented Mr. Ripley', 'Fierce Creatures' & 'Pirates of the Caribbean')
5. Jeremy Northam ('The Net', 'The Winslow Boy' & 'Enigma')

Cool be my guess!!!! I am beat , once again the combat was great. By the way , i started the Michael France thread. So i will check with you later. thanks!!!!

#48 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 02:27 AM

First of all, M_Balje, why are there so many spelling errors in your posts? My messages aren't flawless either, but I have trouble reading many of your opinions.

I was going to point out that M_Balje is Dutch and that his English might not be fluent, but then I noticed your location, crashdrive (not that living in the Netherlands necessarily means you're Dutch, of course).

M_Balje, when you make posts do you just type the original Dutch into a translation site and then copy and paste whatever comes out? Not being rude or belittling your English, but I'm just curious as to how you come up with it.:)

Anyway, glad to see I'm not alone in noticing Jack Davenport's potential as a future Bond. I'd definitely vote for him, although he'd have to do some serious physical training. I don't know whether you've seen the late-90s UK TV series "This Life", in which he made his name, but his portrayal of a womanizing, ultra-cocky young lawyer signalled him as a great candidate for 007.

#49 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 12:35 PM

Make no mistake, I'm 100 % Dutch :) It could be he's dyslectic. In that case, I think he's doing a pretty good job.

I think Jack Davenport is a very good candidate for the role. He first caught my eye when I saw him in 'The Talented Mr. Ripley'. I'm not sure if he would be believable as Bond, but maybe he can age into the part. Time will tell. Pretty soon, I'm going to start a new thread (the third in my 'next Bond'-series).

Now, let's talk more about Dominic West (just trying to say on-topic here :)).

#50 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 02:03 PM

Who is Jack Davenport? What has he starred in. Why should he be consider a future Bond.

#51 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Loomis

I was going to point out that M_Balje is Dutch and that his English might not be fluent, but then I noticed your location, crashdrive (not that living in the Netherlands necessarily means you're Dutch, of course).

M_Balje, when you make posts do you just type the original Dutch into a translation site and then copy and paste whatever comes out? Not being rude or belittling your English, but I'm just curious as to how you come up with it.:)

I have with some words a litle trouble to translate it to Englisch.
and other wise.

But with some other words don't.

For this kind of words i search it here.

http://www.euroglotonline.nl/

For some words (Like Should) i learn here i take it over from other people on this board like crashdrive or you.

For tranlate some difficult words i put it here.

http://www.worldling...translator.html

But i know that this is not an good translate Machiene.

Do I it better than first in September 2001 or not ?

#52 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 03:54 PM

I have trouble with this to.

The Abc.

A = EE
B = Bee
C = ?
E = A
F = ?
G = ?
H = H
I = I
J = ?
K = Keetch
L = ?
M = ?
N = ?
O = ?
P = ?
Q = Kjui
R = Are
S = ?
T = ?
U = You
V = ?
W = Double you
y = ?
X = ?
Z = ?

0 = Zero
1 = One
2 = Second or Two
3 = Third
4 = Four
5 = Five
6 = Six
7 = Seven
8 = Acht (Eet)
9= Nine
10 = Ten
11 = Eleven (Ocean's Eleven)
12 = Twelve
13 = Third Ten
14 = Four Ten
15 = Fift ten
16 = Six Ten
17 = Seven ten
18 = Acht ten
19 = Nine Ten
20 = Twinty

21 - 99 = I know those
After 100 = ?

#53 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 06:33 PM

Okay, thanks M_Balje for taking the trouble to explain. I always wanted to know. Hope you'll pick up a thing or two on this forum. That's how I learned English, just keep on trying. :)

#54 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 09:51 PM

Okay, thanks M_Balje for taking the trouble to explain. I always wanted to know. Hope you'll pick up a thing or two on this forum. That's how I learned English, just keep on trying. :)

What wrong with you english ? It's a fan forum , it you want great written english , read the "Times of London" . Just try and have some fun. Unless we have run out of reason as to why Mr. West will not accept the role of Bond?

#55 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 10:07 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
What wrong with you english ?  It's a fan forum , it you want great written english , read the "Times of London" .

I'll remember that :)

#56 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 12:03 PM

good.
New Discussion about Dominic West as Bond.

Dominic West on what for Bond must he Look like.
The Hard Sean Connery
The Funny Roger Moore
The sensitive Timothy Dalton
Or The Hard,Funny and sensitive Pierce Brosnan.

#57 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 02:41 PM

Originally posted by M_Balje
good.
New Discussion about Dominic West as Bond.

Dominic West on what for Bond must he Look like.
The Hard Sean Connery
The Funny Roger Moore
The sensitive Timothy Dalton
Or The Hard,Funny and sensitive Pierce Brosnan.

Like Brosnan . The new "blended BOnd" . the film going public will not allow self to reutrn to the Moore light comedy Bond'ds of the 70s-and early 80's.

#58 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 05:39 PM

If you absolutely want to label West, I think he's closest to Connery. An actor who is both physical and hard, but has that boy-ish twinkel in his eye, like he's up to no good. Like Connery, I think he has to learn a think or two about being a gentleman, but he's definately a womanizer. I think West will be more comfortable with humour, than the last two Bond actors. I'm very curious how he would look as Bond. Brosnan changed a lot between 'GoldenEye' and 'Tomorrow Never Dies'.

I really feel West can make the part his own though. He's talented and charismatic enough.

#59 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 05:56 PM

Yes Brosnan did change a lot between GE and TND first he got a hair cut. Then he "bulked" up. By the time of "TWINE" is filled out nicely. Very mature looking Bond. Second prettiest Bond after Roger Moore. I am not attempting to establish that Mr.West is not talented to make a good Bond. A lot also demands on the amount of work /time / energy EON is willing to invest. This way i fell the hunt is going on now. I wrote a post once wihch had the theme, that we(fans) /EON was "lucky" with Dalton /Brosnan. Why ? When one got the role form theb other, the "loser" gracefully waited in the "wings' so to speak . Brosnan mi=uch too his credit never openly harbored any ill will towards Dalton or EON about what happen in 1986. He just went on with life. The personal problems he faced after losing the role would have broken lesser man . After all of that he emerged a better man and actor. This time we might not be some fortunate.

#60 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 06:51 PM

You're right. That's what's the scary thing. This is the first time there hasn't been a clear cut candidate for the part since 69. And you know what then happened. That's why I think it's good to discuss potential candidates so fans will know what to expect and perhaps give support to the right actor for the role.