1981 replies to this topic

#661 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

It would be interesting if SF end up with two villian instead of typical one......main villian and secondary villian who is not reveal until half way though

#662 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:05 AM

We'll see.

That we will ;-)

#663 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:23 AM

We'll see.

Why do you not believe anything that comes from people in an actual position to comment? I know I err on the side of caution when it comes to rumours, but this is not a rumour. Sam Mendes has clearly said that Javier Bardem is the film's villain, and yet you are very quick to disbelieve it for absolutely no reason at all.

#664 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:31 AM

I never said I didn't believe Mendes.

#665 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

Then why don't you believe Bardem is the primary villain?

#666 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

Mendes is quite the showman, expert on manipulation of others and missdirection (no pun intended there). Maybe it´s useful if we believe Bardem is the villain of the piece. Who knows? This does seem like a complex film, but maybe that´s because of the secretism that´s surronding it. Omne ignotum pro magnifico perhaps, in the end.

#667 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:58 AM

Then why don't you believe Bardem is the primary villain?

I do. But that doesn't mean there isn't another villain on the scene, who's just as important in his own way, but has less screen time (and owns a manor house).

#668 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:02 AM

And what evidence do you have that this will be Albert Finney?

#669 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:05 AM

I'm speculating. I don't need evidence.

#670 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:29 AM

Then why are you so quick to discredit ideas that are supported by evidence whilst promoting ideas that have nothing to support them?

#671 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:31 AM

Cmon guys, Chill. We´re all elaborating here.

RD, so you think the Manor will be Finney´s?

#672 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:35 AM

RD, so you think the Manor will be Finney´s?

I actually think the manor will be Finney's, myself. I think that he is a part of "Skyfall" and has positioned himself as M's boss to suppress any mention of him if scandal breaks out, but the actual "Skyfall", whatever it is, was conceived in that manor.

#673 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:48 AM

That would be interesting enough Captain. Good show.

#674 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

Exactly. Going by the reports that emerged when Finney was announced, he plays a character who is effectively M's boss. And while he could no doubt make life difficult for Bond, it doesn't automatically make him a villain.

M's only boss is the Foreign Secretary, isn't he?
In my mind I see it more likely the Foreign Secretary would be a good guy that Fiennes has hoodwinked in some way. Utter speculation based on the idea that Fiennes becomes M, though.

#675 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

I imagine that Tim Piggott-Smith is still the Foreign Secretary and M's boss, even if he is not seen on-screen. In this case, Albert Finney would someone in the Foreign Office who has managed to position himself between M and Piggott-Smith - adding a layer of management, if you will - to control what information reaches the Foreign Secretary.

#676 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

The talk was that Finney was a “Foreign Office Mandarin” - This is an expression used for a Senior Civil Servant who has amassed a great deal of power via being in a position for many years.

British Civil Servants are not affected by party politics; they remain in their position despite which party has been elected in. This is ostensibly to keep expertise and experience in the various government departments. However, it also means that certain individuals can build up a vast, and perhaps inappropriate, amount of power and not be accountable to the electorate.

See the comedy series “Yes Minister” for a satire on this whole situation where the Senior Civil Servant cunningly controls the department that the elected minister thinks he runs.

#677 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

Allow me to explain my theory of "Skyfall":

I believe that "Skyfall" is an off-the-books operation run by MI6 either during the Cold War, or in its immediate aftermath. M and Albert Finney were complicit in it, and the operation may have has as many as eleven members - M, Finney, Clair Dowar (Helen McCrory) and the eight people killed in the attacks on MI6. "Skyfall" was the kind of operation that made a career, but if ever word of it got out, it would ruin the reputations of all involved. Somehow, either directly or indirectly, "Skyfall" created Javier Bardem's character.

When the attacks on MI6 take place, Albert Finney sees this, and knows what it means. He abuses his power to have himself appointed as M's immediate superior so that he can manipulate the flow of information to the Foreign Office. That way, if and when "Skyfall" comes to light, he can keep his name out of it. He will be perfectly willing to sacrifice M and Dowar in order to keep his own reputation intact. To this end, he enlists Ralph Fiennes to conduct a review of MI6, ostensibly because of the nature of the attacks - the public are already asking questions about how MI6 were caught off-guard by it. However, he intends to use whatever Fiennes discovers to remove M from her position, thereby giving himself full control over the agency.

As Fienes begins to dig deeper, he discovers that Finney is complicit in "Skyfall". Suspecting that Finney is using Fiennes to protect hismelf, Fiennes reports to Finney, but withholds his knowledge about Finney's role. This convinces Finney that he is clear to act against M, and has her removed from her postion - unwittingly proving Fiennes' suspicions to be correct. Finney then attempts to further protect himself by blocking Bond's investigation. Fiennes contacts Bond through Eve (explaining the box exchange scene), giving him the evidence that Finney is corrupt. Bond then calls Finney and tells him that he knwos Finney is guilty, and that if anything should happen to him, details of "Skyfall" will be made public. Finney stands down, and Bond is able to chase after Javier Bardem. At the end of the film, Bond uses his leverage over Finney to convince him to retire gracefully. However, he is unable to keep M's name out of the controversy, and she, too is forced to stand down. With MI6 leaderless, Ralph Fiennes is offered the position of M.

#678 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

I believe that "Skyfall" is an off-the-books operation run by MI6 either during the Cold War, or in its immediate aftermath. M and Albert Finney were complicit in it, and the operation may have has as many as eleven members - M, Finney, Clair Dowar (Helen McCrory) and the eight people killed in the attacks on MI6. "Skyfall" was the kind of operation that made a career, but if ever word of it got out, it would ruin the reputations of all involved. Somehow, either directly or indirectly, "Skyfall" created Javier Bardem's character.

When the attacks on MI6 take place, Albert Finney sees this, and knows what it means. He abuses his power to have himself appointed as M's immediate superior so that he can manipulate the flow of information to the Foreign Office. That way, if and when "Skyfall" comes to light, he can keep his name out of it. He will be perfectly willing to sacrifice M and Dowar in order to keep his own reputation intact. To this end, he enlists Ralph Fiennes to conduct a review of MI6, ostensibly because of the nature of the attacks - the public are already asking questions about how MI6 were caught off-guard by it. However, he intends to use whatever Fiennes discovers to remove M from her position, thereby giving himself full control over the agency.

As Fienes begins to dig deeper, he discovers that Finney is complicit in "Skyfall". Suspecting that Finney is using Fiennes to protect hismelf, Fiennes reports to Finney, but withholds his knowledge about Finney's role. This convinces Finney that he is clear to act against M, and has her removed from her postion - unwittingly proving Fiennes' suspicions to be correct. Finney then attempts to further protect himself by blocking Bond's investigation. Fiennes contacts Bond through Eve (explaining the box exchange scene), giving him the evidence that Finney is corrupt. Bond then calls Finney and tells him that he knwos Finney is guilty, and that if anything should happen to him, details of "Skyfall" will be made public. Finney stands down, and Bond is able to chase after Javier Bardem. At the end of the film, Bond uses his leverage over Finney to convince him to retire gracefully. However, he is unable to keep M's name out of the controversy, and she, too is forced to stand down. With MI6 leaderless, Ralph Fiennes is offered the position of M.

Nice bit of fan fiction there, Tightpants.

#679 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

Nice bit of fan fiction there, Tightpants.

Yes, briliiant. Just a bit hard to follow because of all the Finney-Fiennes, but a very well put together idea. I wonder how much of your fan-fiction will translate to screen? You could be hailed as the new forum "oracle" ;)

#680 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

Been watching Spooks? :)

Dunno; I can't see Fiennes not being a baddie.

#681 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

Been watching Spooks? :)

Dunno; I can't see Fiennes not being a baddie.

Well, after watching The Gathering Storm, in which he plays Churchill, I can see him playing this said mandarin as a very iconical, old school, imperialistic man. But it can go either way. I´m actually with you Mark on this one, I can see him more in a villain role, although one can say the same thing about Fiennes.

#682 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

timpage74 Tim Page
007 soon filming in Elstead #Skyfall #SKYFALL pic.twitter.com/NYhG5AHS
1 hour ago

Edited by Luigi Ferrari, 21 January 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#683 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

Remember that prior to the release of TWINE, we were told that Robert Carlyle was the "villain of the film", only later to discover it was Electra.

Just sayin'

#684 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

timpage74 Tim Page
1 hour ago

Elstead? They're back in my bit of the world, then! Last time was for the Miami airport stuff in Surrey.

#685 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

Elstead? They're back in my bit of the world, then! Last time was for the Miami airport stuff in Surrey.

I thought they'd filmed Miami Airport in Prague?

#686 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

Yeah, but the action stuff on the runway was Dunsfold in Surrey.

#687 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

Huh... so, just the truck driving was in Surrey? What about Bond on the hood of the police car, or Bond running out of the airport?

#688 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

The 747 they used as the Skyfleet jet is at Dunsfold (just watch any episode of Top Gear to see it in the background!) so the police car stuff would be there too. I suppose him running out of the airport may have been in Prague, it's hard to be sure.

Of course they also did the Austrian airport sequence for Quantum in Farnborough, and Russia was doubled by Aldershot. Bond enjoys the Home Counties! :)

#689 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:02 AM

timpage74 Tim Page
1 hour ago

Looking at satellite pictures of Elstead, there's a lot of farmland and some undulation. And we know that a lot of the land is owned by the military - it's where the Korean scenes in DIE ANOTHER DAY were shot - so production is unlikely to be disturbed by anything. I'm guessing that this could be standing in for Scotland in the film, and will tie in with the scenes shot in Deptford with the Aston Martin.

#690 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

Looking at satellite pictures of Elstead, there's a lot of farmland and some undulation. And we know that a lot of the land is owned by the military - it's where the Korean scenes in DIE ANOTHER DAY were shot

That was a bit more Aldershot way, wasn't it?