This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Sean Connery James Bond Film

587 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Sean Connery James Bond Film (676 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Sean Connery James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:04 PM

Goldfinger deifinitely

What is a little surprising at this poll, as I take another glance at is that Goldfinger actually isn't winning. The often other noted Connery film From Russia With Love is. Usually bnoth will have that same rating in the average movie book, but it's almost always Goldfinger and not From Russia with Love that's mentioned. Overrated perhaps.

Thats because FRWL is the best Bond film. Not just for me. For Sean Connery Albert Broccolli and Ian Fleming. Its the climax.

Yes I know they list it as their favorite James Bond film, but I hardly agree with that. A strong tight Cold War thriller yes, but Thunderball is Bond all the way for Connery.

#152 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:11 PM

Goldfinger deifinitely

What is a little surprising at this poll, as I take another glance at is that Goldfinger actually isn't winning. The often other noted Connery film From Russia With Love is. Usually bnoth will have that same rating in the average movie book, but it's almost always Goldfinger and not From Russia with Love that's mentioned. Overrated perhaps.

Thats because FRWL is the best Bond film. Not just for me. For Sean Connery Albert Broccolli and Ian Fleming. Its the climax.

Yes I know they list it as their favorite James Bond film, but I hardly agree with that. A strong tight Cold War thriller yes, but Thunderball is Bond all the way for Connery.

I agree that TB has very strong points but not so strong as FRWL.

#153 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:15 PM

Goldfinger deifinitely

From Russia With Love--

Strong plot
Excellent casting
Fair score
Still developing that James Bond feel

Thunderball--
Strong plot
Excellent casting
Excellent score
James Bond all the way

#154 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:42 PM

Goldfinger deifinitely

From Russia With Love--

Strong plot
Excellent casting
Fair score
Still developing that James Bond feel

Thunderball--
Strong plot
Excellent casting
Excellent score
James Bond all the way

If thats true than DAD would had been the best because its the last. I think FRWL is also James Bond allthe way. FRWL is the film that made 007 more famous.

#155 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:43 PM

If thats true than DAD would had been the best because its the last. I think FRWL is also James Bond allthe way. FRWL is the film that made 007 more famous.

Because Die Another Day is the last? Nope, I'm not critiquing Die Another Day here. Thunderball was the film that made Bond more famous, while both are fantastic films, look at the box-office. Bond was still growing with From Russia With Love.

#156 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:41 AM

Because Die Another Day is the last? Nope, I'm not critiquing Die Another Day here. Thunderball was the film that made Bond more famous, while both are fantastic films, look at the box-office. Bond was still growing with From Russia With Love.

I think that Bond reached its peak with FRWL. If Thunderball is so sucessfull its because Dr.No and FRWL are sucessfull. I accept that TB is a great film, until tha last 20 min.

#157 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 01:21 PM

I think that Bond reached its peak with FRWL. If Thunderball is so sucessfull its because Dr.No and FRWL are sucessfull. I accept that TB is a great film, until tha last 20 min.

I guess we're just two different opinions. :) Both are certainly peaks for the Connery era, I just happen to favor Thunderball much more.

#158 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 05:52 AM

Well it's still a debate which one Connery Bond film is the best, people just have their own choices. Fine choices, Qwerty and YOLT. Though FRWL might not be your absolute favorite, we all have our opinions. You like MOONRAKER Qwerty, and I don't that much. THUNDERBALL, good choice Qwerty, it's one of the best in the series.

#159 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 05:54 AM

THUNDERBALL, good choice Qwerty, it's one of the best in the series.

Most definitely. I've come to see that Goldfinger is sometimes, not always, but sometimes overrated. Thunderball is classic Bond all the way though, not overrated IMO. Learned to call it Connery's best easily.

#160 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:21 PM

Me too, Qwerty.

Thunderball is defintley the best Connery movie

#161 MillesGloriosus

MillesGloriosus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:48 PM

Goldfinger: The Man With The Midas Touch!

This movie sets the pattern for the prototypical Bond film. The gadgets, the campiness, the implausable plot.

From Russia With Love is a close second.

#162 blofeld123

blofeld123

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:28 PM

[quote name='Johnson Galore' date='8 February 2003 - 23:57'] [quote]Originally posted by kevrichardson
Connery did not do OHMSS . And i hate "what if's" . The film OHMSS is fine the way it is. FRWL is the Best Bond , i love Thunderball also. But FRWL a little more. The film has age very well. Best cast hands down. In Goldfinger

#163 blofeld123

blofeld123

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:32 PM

Really I'm surprised u didn't like the spear gun naval fight at the end! Now that just says Connery! :)

#164 blofeld123

blofeld123

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:35 PM

Well it's still a debate which one Connery Bond film is the best, people just have their own choices. Fine choices, Qwerty and YOLT. Though FRWL might not be your absolute favorite, we all have our opinions. You like MOONRAKER Qwerty, and I don't that much. THUNDERBALL, good choice Qwerty, it's one of the best in the series.

I agree with you. Moonraker was, well .......... unrealistic. A laser fight in space doesn't seem to Bond like to me.

#165 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:18 AM

I agree with you. Moonraker was, well .......... unrealistic. A laser fight in space doesn't seem to Bond like to me.

It's just a bit different, not the same old thing.

#166 Cabainus

Cabainus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 372 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:22 AM

Although not everyones favourite, Diamonds are Forever is my favourite Connery Bond film.

#167 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:28 PM

Really I'm surprised u didn't like the spear gun naval fight at the end! Now that just says Connery! :)

Definitely. The underwater fight worked for Connery. I don't know if I could imagine Moore in that sort of finale.

#168 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:12 PM

The underwater fight worked for Connery. I don't know if I could imagine Moore in that sort of finale.

I laugh at the idea of Moore in that scene. :)

#169 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:18 PM

Exactly. It'd make a strong finale turn into a laughable bit of nothing.

#170 ChrisWalken

ChrisWalken

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 06:22 AM

DAF is my favourite Connery film. Even though it's a tough race between DAF, TB & FRWL. DAF wins cause of it's funny/memorable characters and the plot was quite good with smuggling diamonds. Though I didn't like the satelite thing.

#171 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 06:29 AM

It also says Dalton, and maybe even Brosnan.

I could see Dalton in that scene you speak of.

#172 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:03 PM

Wow, that's two people within a few posts of each other naming DAF their favorite film. It was mine for a long time, too. It still holds a special place as it was the first film I saw new in a theater when I was only 5.

#173 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:05 PM

Wow, that's two people within a few posts of each other naming DAF their favorite film. It was mine for a long time, too. It still holds a special place as it was the first film I saw new in a theater when I was only 5.

What I find interesting is the poll. Dr. No has the least amount of votes for his films with only eight, while the usually lesser looked upon films You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever have thirteen each.

I think Loomis will agree with me in that Dr. No is a better film and sometimes overlooked.

#174 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:17 PM

What I find interesting is the poll. Dr. No has the least amount of votes for his films with only eight, while the usually lesser looked upon films You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever have thirteen each.

I think Loomis will agree with me in that Dr. No is a better film and sometimes overlooked.

Without question it's better than YOLT and DAF. I think this is a case where the first film wasn't necessarily the best for the series.

A lot of the early elements are there, but they were broadened, tweaked and, in some ways, perfected, in the next three films. DN still really feels almost like a detective film as much as a spy film to me. I think that may throw some people to a degree.

#175 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:25 PM

Without question it's better than YOLT and DAF. I think this is a case where the first film wasn't necessarily the best for the series.

A lot of the early elements are there, but they were broadened, tweaked and, in some ways, perfected, in the next three films. DN still really feels almost like a detective film as much as a spy film to me. I think that may throw some people to a degree.

You may be right there. It's obviously getting started in setting the tone, but there's something about it that just makes it work.

#176 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:05 PM

You may be right there. It's obviously getting started in setting the tone, but there's something about it that just makes it work.

Yes, it works just fine. If not, we would be here discussing something else. People in 1962 and 63 obviously saw something different that made DN a box office success and demand more Bond.

But in terms of DN not getting more votes in this modern poll it is probably due to it being the first and feeling its way and having a bit rougher edge than the smooth, polished films that followed.

#177 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:07 PM

Yes, it works just fine. If not, we would be here discussing something else. People in 1962 and 63 obviously saw something different that made DN a box office success and demand more Bond.

But in terms of DN not getting more votes in this modern poll it is probably due to it being the first and feeling its way and having a bit rougher edge than the smooth, polished films that followed.

Quite, and even today, look at it's popularity.

Your second paragraph makes sense. Take the music for example. It's not as polished as the other films in the series. It seems the theme is sometimes just thrown in, and even the music style is totally different.

Have to start somewhere though.

#178 007_fclmdb

007_fclmdb

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 04:06 PM

I chose GOLDFINGER. can't explain - only that i love it!

#179 Get_MOOre7

Get_MOOre7

Discharged

• Discharged
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:12 PM

I chose Goldfinger as well. Although I was honestly torn between Dr. No, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger.

I personally like all of Connery's Bonds. I rank them all highly.

A lot of people don't care for Never Say Never Again, but it is certainly better than some recent efforts.

#180 Kirsty

Kirsty

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 08:40 AM

I choose From Russa With Love