This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

667 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film (728 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#421 AgentPB

AgentPB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

I just wish he could have had one more solid film. Pierce deserved a better send off.

#422 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:53 PM

I consider Everything or Nothing as Pierce's Swan Song. :tup:

#423 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

1. GoldenEye
2. Tomorrow Never Dies
3. The World Is Not Enough
4. Die Another Day

This is my own, I think, final-final ranking. TND might well have been first, if only directed by Campbell.

#424 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:09 AM

TND might well have been first, if only directed by Campbell.

What would you have wanted/expected him to do differently, dodge?

#425 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:12 AM

i rewatched goldeneye last night and its kinda grown on me its quiet a decent film when it comes down to it and a great debut for brosnan as bond

It would have been even better with a David Arnold score.

And that brings up my 10,000....:tup:

#426 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:26 AM

I disagree.

#427 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:28 AM

I disagree.

You disagreed with my 10,000th post?

Surely that isn't allowed?

:tup:

#428 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:46 AM

I disagree.

Yeah. Eric Serra's score was definitely a mixed bag, but the uninspiring, overblown David Arnold of TND/TWINE/DAD wouldn't at all be an improvement. The Arnold of CR might have been, though.

Serra's score does have its bright spots. "The GoldenEye Overture" is one of the best pieces of Bond music from the 90s. Putting the Bond theme on timpani was an inspired choice. "We Share the Same Passions" is lovely, if a bit too serious for everything that's going on. The piano bit where 006 reveals himself in the statue park is inspired. And "The Severnaya Suite," "That's What Keeps You Alone," and "For Ever, James" all contain beautiful thematic work.

#429 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:33 AM

I'm fairly certain that I'm in a minority opinion on this one, but put me down as someone who absolutely loves Eric Serra's score for GoldenEye. I think that it's got a great and unique sound (for a Bond film) that is very fresh considering how overused the Bond theme (and other similar pieces of music) had become in the franchise. I would have much rather had Serra come back for Tomorrow Never Dies and even stay on board past that film.

#430 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:45 AM

I'm fairly certain that I'm in a minority opinion on this one, but put me down as someone who absolutely loves Eric Serra's score for GoldenEye. I think that it's got a great and unique sound (for a Bond film) that is very fresh considering how overused the Bond theme (and other similar pieces of music) had become in the franchise. I would have much rather had Serra come back for Tomorrow Never Dies and even stay on board past that film.

Absolutely. Serra's tracks were uniquely different. Just because it is strikingly different from the others does not make it a black sheep.

#431 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:15 PM

I'm fairly certain that I'm in a minority opinion on this one, but put me down as someone who absolutely loves Eric Serra's score for GoldenEye. I think that it's got a great and unique sound (for a Bond film) that is very fresh considering how overused the Bond theme (and other similar pieces of music) had become in the franchise.

It's certainly got a unique sound and I love how little it uses the Bond theme, but it isn't quite as glamorous as I would like it to be. I also have a lot of irritation over the fact that Serra plagiarized his work on LEON: THE PROFESSIONAL to put together the GOLDENEYE score.

#432 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:06 PM

To answer the question of the thread as honestly as I can, I have absolutely no idea which is my favorite. I only know that it isn

#433 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:38 PM

Goldeneye was my favorite of his, but I'm not sure if it still is, let me check...

YEP! Goldeneye is still my favorite Pierce Bond. :tup:

#434 codywan24

codywan24

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:07 PM

I gotta go with Tomorrow Never Dies, followed closely by GoldenEye. The only reason I like TND better is because I think the action is better. After that, I almost wish Brosnan had pulled a Dalton and done just two. I like him, but the last two films (TWINE and DAD) are just embarrassingly awful to me (especially DAD). Brosnan was more like Roger in his style, and should have just played up on his coolness. He should leave the attempts at emotional substance to other roles (and, in most cases, other actors). Besides, that's been the pattern of the series so far, actor-wise at least. They started off with Connery/Lazenby in the original style, then went light with Moore, got back to serious with Tim, and then Pierce, who started light and then tried to turn serious, and ended up way out of his zone IMHO (not really even his fault, but still). TND and GE were just cool, kick-[censored] Bond flicks with lots of action and cool stuff/hot girls. They should have stayed that way. We're getting the substance now with Dan!

#435 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:23 PM

Goldendies A'never Day

I think that's actually Scottish for "golden sunset". :tup:

#436 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:27 PM

I gotta go with Tomorrow Never Dies, followed closely by GoldenEye. The only reason I like TND better is because I think the action is better. After that, I almost wish Brosnan had pulled a Dalton and done just two. I like him, but the last two films (TWINE and DAD) are just embarrassingly awful to me (especially DAD). Brosnan was more like Roger in his style, and should have just played up on his coolness. He should leave the attempts at emotional substance to other roles (and, in most cases, other actors). Besides, that's been the pattern of the series so far, actor-wise at least. They started off with Connery/Lazenby in the original style, then went light with Moore, got back to serious with Tim, and then Pierce, who started light and then tried to turn serious, and ended up way out of his zone IMHO (not really even his fault, but still). TND and GE were just cool, kick-[censored] Bond flicks with lots of action and cool stuff/hot girls. They should have stayed that way. We're getting the substance now with Dan!

In terms of Brosnan playing emotional substance, I think he did a good job with the dramatic scenes in GE. The problems with the later films were the scripts, imo.

#437 Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:31 PM

Originally posted by DanMan
I belive the film that characterizes his Bond is TWINE.

Not to far off the mark IMO. I think though that DAD is the Brosnan Bond. Why? Brosnan had become the perfect amalgam of the various elements presented by the previous actors. Die Another Day proves that theory, then takes that hybridization a step further as not only the performance is an amalgam, but the film itself has become one. Die Another Day is two films melded together. The first half was very character and plot centered. The second half of the film is designed for people who came from the movies and for their new audience, those raised on action and spectacle. Brosnan shows this both in characterization and now in film.

I quite agree. DAD was the culmination of the Bond character, which Pierce played very well, IMHO.

#438 Scaramanga'74

Scaramanga'74

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:21 AM

TWINE remains the best of Brosnan

#439 tama_drummer91

tama_drummer91

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:30 AM

TWINE
Goldeneye
DAD
TND

I might get a little flack for liking DAD better than TND, but thats my list from favorite to least favorite. TWINE was the first time I saw a Bond film in the theaters(yeah I'm only 16) and it will always have a special spot in my heart. Same goes for DAD. I loved it in the theaters.

Originally posted by DanMan
I belive the film that characterizes his Bond is TWINE.

Not to far off the mark IMO. I think though that DAD is the Brosnan Bond. Why? Brosnan had become the perfect amalgam of the various elements presented by the previous actors. Die Another Day proves that theory, then takes that hybridization a step further as not only the performance is an amalgam, but the film itself has become one. Die Another Day is two films melded together. The first half was very character and plot centered. The second half of the film is designed for people who came from the movies and for their new audience, those raised on action and spectacle. Brosnan shows this both in characterization and now in film.

I quite agree. DAD was the culmination of the Bond character, which Pierce played very well, IMHO.

I concur, a great post.

#440 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:19 AM

Back to Goldeneye again. :tup:

#441 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:24 AM

I'm fairly certain that I'm in a minority opinion on this one, but put me down as someone who absolutely loves Eric Serra's score for GoldenEye. I think that it's got a great and unique sound (for a Bond film) that is very fresh considering how overused the Bond theme (and other similar pieces of music) had become in the franchise.

Not one I absolutely love, but definitely categorize as very enjoyable at times and generally underrated. Unique is definitely the word--that gunbarrel is one of the most recognizable sounding bits from the series for me, odd as that may seem.

#442 Scaramanga'74

Scaramanga'74

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:52 AM

If Moore

#443 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:16 AM

After watching Tomorrow Never Dies again recently, I think I'd have to rank Brosnan's films like this:

1. Tomorrow Never Dies
2. The World Is Not Enough
3. GoldenEye
4. Die Another Day

#444 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:44 PM

1. GoldenEye
2. Tomorrow Never Dies
3. The World Is Not Enough
4. Die Another Day

I agree with you, tdalton.

#445 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:46 PM

1. The World is not Enough
2. Tomorrow Never Dies
3. Die Another Day
4. GoldenEye

#446 Licence_007

Licence_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:15 AM

2. Tomorrow Never Dies
3. Die Another Day
4. GoldenEye

How can you rank GE below DAD :tup:

#447 craigbegins

craigbegins

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:42 AM

GoldenEye all the way. I pretty much agree with the poll results although I'm not really a fan of TWINE or Die Another Day so I'm not sure where I'd place those two. TWINE feels like an extremely dull BBC drama with occasional forced action sequences. It's like someone's held a gun to Apted's head and demanded he inject the "Bond Cocktail". Die Another Day is a bit of a mess.

#448 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:04 PM

2. Tomorrow Never Dies
3. Die Another Day
4. GoldenEye

How can you rank GE below DAD :(

I just don't like GoldenEye. Dalton should of been in it and it feels like a Made for TV Movie :tup: Sorry, I'm just not a fan. Atleast Die Another Day was fun. :tup:

#449 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:04 PM

2. Tomorrow Never Dies
3. Die Another Day
4. GoldenEye

Seriously Hark. It must be a generation gap or something. You list them in the exact reverse order that I do.

Judo:

#450 Licence_007

Licence_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

2. Tomorrow Never Dies
3. Die Another Day
4. GoldenEye

How can you rank GE below DAD :(

I just don't like GoldenEye. Dalton should of been in it and it feels like a Made for TV Movie :tup: Sorry, I'm just not a fan. Atleast Die Another Day was fun. :tup:

Hmmm, interesting. I've heard the made for TV argument used against LTK but never against GE. I have to disagree with DAD being fun as well, the last 30 minutes drags that film into the seventh circle of hell for me. But everyone has their own opinion :)