This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

667 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film (728 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#481 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:03 AM

I was torn between Tomorrow Never Dies and The World Is Not Enough. Although I think I like TND better, I think TWINE is the more thoughtful, intelligent and interesting film. I also voted for it because it is woefully underrated on CBn (in my opinion, of course) and, like OHMSS and (possibly) Moonraker before it, I firmly believe its reputation will improve in years to come.

I agree, dee bee five. TWINE is underrated, and unnecessarily insulted.

#482 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:24 AM

Being a Pierce Brosnan fan, I have to say I'm a little offended at the poll question including the option of "He has yet to make one I like." While that may be true for some people, I feel that it shouldn't be included. After all, the other Bonds do not have that option, so why should he? And it is very possible that other people may not like any of Connery's, Moore's, or Dalton's films either. Either they all should have that option or none of them should. To single out Brosnan in this way, I feel, is completely unfair.

Sorry, rant over.

I'm all for Brosnan making another Bond as long as it doesn't interfere with Craig's films. I'd like to see another Battle of the Bonds, OP vs. NSNA style. So, maybe that's why that choice is still included :tup:

#483 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:09 AM

Being a Pierce Brosnan fan, I have to say I'm a little offended at the poll question including the option of "He has yet to make one I like." While that may be true for some people, I feel that it shouldn't be included. After all, the other Bonds do not have that option, so why should he? And it is very possible that other people may not like any of Connery's, Moore's, or Dalton's films either. Either they all should have that option or none of them should. To single out Brosnan in this way, I feel, is completely unfair.

Sorry, rant over.

I'm all for Brosnan making another Bond as long as it doesn't interfere with Craig's films. I'd like to see another Battle of the Bonds, OP vs. NSNA style. So, maybe that's why that choice is still included :tup:

The reason that option is listed is because when the poll was set up, Brosnan was still Bond as far as we knew. So this option is not suggesting that Brosnan should make another one in the future.

#484 Shot Your Bolt

Shot Your Bolt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:14 PM

Goldeneye is his best film, and one of my top 5 Bond movies, but I posted my thoughts on it in the Goldeneye Bunker thread.

GE > DAD >> TND >> TWINE

#485 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:18 PM

Welcome to the Forums, Shot Your Bolt. :(

#486 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:21 PM

My favorite Brosnan movies keep switching between Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is not Enough. My favorite is Tomorrow Never Dies at the moment, I feel like it's far better written than The World is not Enough. But sometimes I like The World is not Enough due to it's dramatic aspect.

#487 S.P.E.C.T.R.E_Agent_44

S.P.E.C.T.R.E_Agent_44

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:47 PM

I Gotta Say GoldenEye Was The First Bond Movie I Ever Saw, And Even Though

Some Of Brosnan's Movie Plots Were Rediculus, I Must Say He Made The Best Of Them. It's GoldenEye For Me.

#488 007Bond007

007Bond007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

Goldeneye was a deffinet re-envention of the bond series. And my favourite PB movie of all of his movies.

#489 Ravenstone

Ravenstone

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

Goldeneye for me. Sadly, it all went downhill for me afterwards, and Tomorrow Never Dies competes with Die Another Day for my least favourite Bond films.

#490 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:58 AM

I like parts of each one, eg, The PTS and tank chase of GE, the Hamburg scenes in TND, the PTS of TWINE (my favourite PTS of them all), and the Cuba scenes in DAD would make for a great Bond movie.

You ought to do a fan edit of all those scenes. One of the many problems of Brosnan's era was how there were a lot of elements of different films were better than any individual film on the whole.

#491 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:49 PM

It is interesting to see someone who has DAD as their favourite Bond film, especially around here. It takes all kinds, though.

Count me among them. I just rewatched Die Another Day recently for the first time in 5 years at least. And I found I still love it!

I prefer DAD to GE because Brosnan's much more confident, natural and old-pro here than in his first. Also it has better production values(CGI surfing aside). There's a lot less political correctness in DAD than in GE. Miss Moneypenny acts more like she did in the Lois Maxwell era, Falco makes a more serious American ally than Wade. Miranda seems like more like a genuine Bond villainess rather than the spoof(as enjoyable as she is to watch) that Xenia is. Of course DAD had the corny Vlad but GE had the corny Boris. Also, I prefer David Arnold as a composer to Eric Serra.

I prefer DAD to TND because it has more spying and story than in the 2nd Brosnan film. Also, its script doesn't shortchange its 2nd leading lady(Rosamund Pike's Miranda) like TND's did to Teri Hatcher's Paris. Also, I don't think Jinx upstaged Bond as much as Wai Lin did.

I prefer DAD to TWINE because it's much more of an international intrigue espionage story and less of a soap opera type one. And that Bond doesn't get sentimental over the villainess in it as in TWINE.

Now, of course there are individual elements I prefer about Brosnan's first 3 to individual elements of DAD like Natalya is definitely a better heroine than Jinx, David Arnold's score for TND is better than his one for DAD, TWINE's 2nd half has far less CGI than DAD's, and the first 3 are all blessed by the appearance of the justifiably beloved Desmond Llewellyn who we all rightly miss as Q.

That stated, I still enjoy DAD the most on the whole of the Brosnan 007films.

TWINE
Goldeneye
DAD
TND

I might get a little flack for liking DAD better than TND, but thats my list from favorite to least favorite. TWINE was the first time I saw a Bond film in the theaters(yeah I'm only 16) and it will always have a special spot in my heart. Same goes for DAD. I loved it in the theaters.

Originally posted by DanMan
I belive the film that characterizes his Bond is TWINE.

Not to far off the mark IMO. I think though that DAD is the Brosnan Bond. Why? Brosnan had become the perfect amalgam of the various elements presented by the previous actors. Die Another Day proves that theory, then takes that hybridization a step further as not only the performance is an amalgam, but the film itself has become one. Die Another Day is two films melded together. The first half was very character and plot centered. The second half of the film is designed for people who came from the movies and for their new audience, those raised on action and spectacle. Brosnan shows this both in characterization and now in film.

I quite agree. DAD was the culmination of the Bond character, which Pierce played very well, IMHO.

I concur, a great post.

And I as well. I love how the first half involves espionage and international intrigue in the manner of From Russia With Love/ The Living Daylights/Octopussy while the second half is an homage to the Lewis Gilbert style films and Diamonds Are Forever. It was a great 40th Anniversary experience.

TWINE feels like an extremely dull BBC drama with occasional forced action sequences. It's like someone's held a gun to Apted's head and demanded he inject the "Bond Cocktail".

Agreed. It's like Brosnan's attempt to do an OHMSS/CR film but it gets overloaded with melodrama on one hand and AVTAK-type humor on the next.

This would be the order I'd rank them in, too, if only because I feel DAD is more fun than GE.

Agreed.

day another day
is my favourite james bond filem and pierce brosnan my favourite james bond

Half agree. Brosnan's my least favorite Bond but Die Another Day is my favorite of his films.

Hey i liked him in DAD! Drinking and smoking like a sesoned pro letting it hang out instead of the guy touching a computer screen of a crying girl from the last one.

Totally agree there.

Yes, Brosnan played Bond very well in DAD.

Definitely, the best of his 4 performances. I liked the superconfidence an actor brings to his 4th Bond performance. Connery did it for Thunderball, Moore did it for Moonraker, and Brosnan did it for Die Another Day.

#492 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:50 PM

For me it's between Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies. Goldeneye drags a little, and the score leaves something to be desired. At times it also seems the budget is smaller. TND is really great in the first hour. It has Arnold's best James Bond score (with the JB theme back!) I like it a lot up through the chase in the garage, but then in the second half it gets too action crazy.
DAD is just bad as far as i'm concerned. TWINE could have been really good, but after Bond sleeps with Elektra it seems to degenerate into a series of action set pieces.

#493 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:09 PM

I can't really decide if I prefer GOLDENEYE or THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH.

I might get a little flack for liking DAD better than TND, but thats my list from favorite to least favorite.

You won't get any flack from me. TOMORROW NEVER DIES is my least favorite Brosnan film.

Edited by DR76, 04 November 2008 - 07:12 PM.

#494 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

I voted TND. I think overall GE is a better film, but the music and Brosnan's performance drag it down a bit for me. I felt Brosnan seemed too unsure of himself in GE and seemed more self assured in TND.

#495 NecroVMX

NecroVMX

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:22 AM

I have to say, I'm pleased with the poll's result. It's exactly how I feel, Goldene was the best with TND trailing slightly behind.

#496 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:26 PM

GoldenEye [ 291 ]
Tomorrow Never Dies [ 130 ]
The World Is Not Enough [ 107 ]
Die Another Day [ 73 ]

I agree with the fact that his movies get worse as they progress. I think GoldenEye is Brosnans best, but my favorite Brosnan movie is Tomorrow Never Dies followed by The World is not Enough, GoldenEye and Die Another Day.
Brosnans movies only fall in the 'good' tier for me.
Die Another Day is in the 'bad' tier.

haha, Just realised that my post,
is shaped by the 007,
gun logo. :(

#497 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:39 PM

Why is it that people hates Die Another Day, is not that bad.

I can't get it.. because of the CGI? Halle Berry? Locations?

Edited by BlackFire, 21 November 2008 - 02:40 PM.

#498 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:45 PM

Just the..

• CGI
  • Halle Berry
  • Bad Script
  • Bad cinematography
I dont hate Die Another Day, I don't hate any Bond movie. I just don't like it very much.

#499 Quincy

Quincy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:48 PM

I think Goldeneye ios overrated. Sure it's good but the "best"? No. Goldeneye might be in my top 10 Bond list but it's still the best of the Brosnan Bond's.

1. GE(top ten material)
2. TND/TWINE(tied)
3. TWINE/TND(tied)
4. DAD(one of the worst)

#500 Commander Shaun

Commander Shaun

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

I liked both Tomorrow Never Dies and Goldeneye, but then again, I loved all of his films.

#501 SpyGal006

SpyGal006

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:33 AM

GoldenEye. I watch that movie over and over again and still love it. I enjoyed it for the following reasons:

1. Against the Russians (always a classic for me)
2. Bond was a lot darker/colder and I enjoy him much more that way.
3. The Bond girl wasn't an American (ruins it for me every time).
4. The music was perfect.
5. Sean Bean (enough said).

I know I have more reasons...just drawing a blank at the moment.

#502 Bond_Assassin

Bond_Assassin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:29 AM

Goldeneye and TND are his best. I find TWINE and DAD irrelevant.

#503 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH is my favourite, because it was the first I saw on the big screen. Sure, I'd seen GOLDENEYE on home video before it, but going to THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH for my thirteenth birthday is one of the clearest and best memories I have of James Bond. I don't think I blinked for the two hours that I was in the theatre, I was so rapt in it ...

#504 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:50 PM

Just the..

• CGI
  • Halle Berry
  • Bad Script
  • Bad cinematography
I dont hate Die Another Day, I don't hate any Bond movie. I just don't like it very much.

The CGI especially made the film suck! Particularly the scene, in which Bond surfs on the ice with the parachute is sooooooooo fake! Then Halle Berry doesn't know how to play a Bond girl and Lee Tamahori is.....BAD!

#505 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

The most frustrating thing about the Brosnan era is that is has a lot of great ideas (Bond's friend turning into his enemy, a former girlfriend entering his life again, he falls in love with the bad gal, he is in prison for months) that are essentially forgotten after a while, drowning in machine gun fire, explosions and bad one-liners.

I do like Pierce in the part (mostly), and I know he could have made more out of it with less uneven scripts. I think he is the only Bond, Connery not excluded, to have a much more interesting career after playing the part, and he keeps growing as an actor.

#506 Arc of Infinity

Arc of Infinity

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

Either Goldeneye or Tomorrow Never Dies for me. The first two Bond movies I saw and the preference towards either one changes almost every day for me.

#507 Mr.Stamper

Mr.Stamper

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:06 PM

TomorrowNever Dies then Goldeneye. B)

#508 Manticore

Manticore

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:32 AM

Goldeneye. Pierce reminds me Sean in this one.

#509 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies remain tied for me. I adore both entries.

#510 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:00 PM

Probably GOLDENEYE for me. None of the Brosnan films were particularly good, but GOLDENEYE is the one that probably stands out more than the others. Unlike a great number of people, I actually liked Eric Serra's score for the film, and would have loved to have seen him return for TOMORROW NEVER DIES. Also, Sean Bean's one of the best villains in the entire franchise (and would have made a fantastic Bond as well).