654 replies to this topic

#451 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

Sorry, Zencat... this thread will never die...

I don't mind. But I don't know why this thread would be revived for a specific conversation about Miranda Frost's sexuality. Certainly it could/should have been it's own thread.

#452 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

But I don't know why this thread would be revived for a specific conversation about Miranda Frost's sexuality.

Which was probably...

Kind of bummed

#453 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:01 AM

Don't worry about it GS. People love seeing this thread pop up again.

#454 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:29 PM

Absolutely. Perhaps the best thing about DAD is that it gave rise to this wonderfully written review. A true CBn classic.

#455 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:24 PM

Absolutely. Perhaps the best thing about DAD is that it gave rise to this wonderfully written review. A true CBn classic.

I'll second that!

#456 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

Like many Bond fans, I enjoyed DAD up until Iceland.

Then, it became Star Wars.

Just popping 'round to see what's been happening on here. DaveBond's remark is the bottom line, IMHO.

#457 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:42 AM

I disagree. Star Wars had good special effects.

#458 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:38 PM

Hey, what the [censored] happened? My review is gone. :(

#459 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hey, what the [censored] happened? My review is gone. :(

Just the latest in adaptive camouflage.

#460 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

Well, thanks to Judo chop who quoted it in full, it's back. :)

#461 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

I think we've all been in here too long! (and i like it muahahaah)

#462 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:50 PM

To Hell with Zencat's review of the movie, what about the link to his review of my party? :P

#463 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:01 PM

To Hell with Zencat's review of the movie, what about the link to his review of my party? :P

I wish I could have been there

#464 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:46 AM

Well, thanks to Judo chop who quoted it in full, it's back. :)

We should main page this thing and use it to discuss how crazy we Bond fans can be immediately after seeing a Bond film. ;)

Die Another Day didn't have that effect on me though. It's the only one. I didn't like it the first time I saw it. Not a fan of The World Is Not Enough either, but I admit to leaving the theater with a big ol grin. It's like a dream. "It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange."

#465 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:49 AM

you are right K1bond007.

OF course my opinions of BOnd movies (eg, the ones I like and dislike) are all being compared as Bond movies. AVTAK, MR, TWINE and DAD all rank toward the bottom of the series for me, but I will still take any of those over Titanic or Avatar!

#466 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:50 AM

I love it when this thread pops-up. A great review by Zencat of an iffy film and a great 003 party. Rereading this thread was part of the reason I attended the DTBB 2-007 Vegas trip - and I was not disappointed!

#467 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:13 AM

I love this thread. Zencat's review of DAD is my screensaver at work....

:tup:

#468 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:03 PM

I watched this movie again yesterday, and it's been given a bad rap. It really is a good movie that falls short of greatness for two reasons:
1. The plane sequence
2. Halle Berry.

darthbond

#469 winstoninabox

winstoninabox

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

Some time ago I wrote a review + re-imagining of DAD. If anyone is interested it is http://www.filmforen...ry/genres/bond/

There are some other Bond films there that have had the same treatment. If I were to change the re-imagining now it would be to steal the above posters idea of removing Miranda. Pity, cause she's one of the sexiest Bond ladies ever.

While I enjoyed DAD zencat, I wouldn't rate it as highly as you do.

#470 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:04 AM

I watched this movie again yesterday, and it's been given a bad rap. It really is a good movie that falls short of greatness for two reasons:
1. The plane sequence
2. Halle Berry.

darthbond

You forgott the surfing scene.

#471 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:17 AM

1. The plane sequence
2. Halle Berry.

darthbond

You forgott the surfing scene.

The opening surfing scene?

#472 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

I guess this is about the CGI glacier surfing scene.

Well, well, well... the CGI is not good. Looks like a kind of early version that just was left in due to time or budget constraints.

BUT...

I still think it´s fun. And very Bond-ish. 007 is in a life-threatning situation. And he uses what he has to escape that in a way that is also wink-wink funny. So... quit the whining, guys. This is a fun scene, over the top like the rest of the film, indicating a very distinct phase in the Bond films.

#473 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

This is a fun scene, over the top like the rest of the film, indicating a very distinct phase in the Bond films.

Exactly. Adopt the time-honored strategy of parents everywhere and you can endure this scene by repeating to yourself, "It's only a phase...it's only a phase..."

I can never watch that scene without remembering the audience's reaction to it in the theater. An audible groan went up, as I recall. Probably the only time I've seen that reaction for a scene that was scored with the James Bond theme.

#474 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

I saw DAD twice in the theatre - and I must say, the surfing scene always provoked appreciative cheering and even applause. It was so wildly over the top that this probably was what James Bond meant to his audience at that timie.

#475 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

I guess this is about the CGI glacier surfing scene.

Well, well, well... the CGI is not good. Looks like a kind of early version that just was left in due to time or budget constraints.

BUT...

I still think it´s fun. And very Bond-ish. 007 is in a life-threatning situation. And he uses what he has to escape that in a way that is also wink-wink funny. So... quit the whining, guys. This is a fun scene, over the top like the rest of the film, indicating a very distinct phase in the Bond films.

I agree. The CGI could be better, but the actual escape is very Bondian.

This is a fun scene, over the top like the rest of the film, indicating a very distinct phase in the Bond films.

Exactly. Adopt the time-honored strategy of parents everywhere and you can endure this scene by repeating to yourself, "It's only a phase...it's only a phase..."

I can never watch that scene without remembering the audience's reaction to it in the theater. An audible groan went up, as I recall. Probably the only time I've seen that reaction for a scene that was scored with the James Bond theme.

No offense, but I've seen a number of Bond films in theaters multiple times and I've never heard a groan from the audience during any viewing, including during Die Another Day.

#476 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:49 PM

1. The plane sequence
2. Halle Berry.

Once again, the Bond fans rear their ugly racism in their attacks upon Halle Berry. I can't believe they are really that disturbed by the idea of a woman with African ancestry being the leading actress in a Bond female. This is becoming disgusting beyond belief.

#477 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:40 PM

1. The plane sequence
2. Halle Berry.

Once again, the Bond fans rear their ugly racism in their attacks upon Halle Berry. I can't believe they are really that disturbed by the idea of a woman with African ancestry being the leading actress in a Bond female. This is becoming disgusting beyond belief.

Oh, I don't see any racism here. There have been plenty of African American Bond Girls who are beloved. Rosy Carver. May Day. If there's any prejudice at work here, I'd say it's against her superstar status. That seemed to clash a bit with the Bond universe.

#478 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:50 PM

1. The plane sequence
2. Halle Berry.

Rubbish.

#479 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:25 PM

1. The plane sequence
2. Halle Berry.

Seriously??? Race has nothing to do with it, I find Hally Berry to be a beautiful woman and she looked good in the movie, but she just kind of cheesed her way through the role. However as awful as she was, she was still better than Denise Richards and Tanya Roberts who happen to be white

#480 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

Make room for us newbies. Hey, Secret Treaties... over here.

Edited by glidrose, 13 November 2011 - 09:55 PM.