654 replies to this topic

#421 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:09 PM

A slip of the finger can mean the difference between a 1-page thread and a 14-page thread.

DIE ANOTHER DAY: THE BEST BONDG MOVIE EVER!

We shouldn't be too hard on ol' Zen. He's just a writer. He doesn't know how to spellcheck.

#422 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:14 PM

But what is the best bong movie ever? Is it DAD?

#423 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:25 PM

Hmmm... for Zencat, apparently.

Personally, my guess would be DAF. Or maybe Zencat made two little spelling errors?

#424 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:30 PM

No, I meant bong movie What else could I have meant? B)

#425 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

Boring movie? :tdown:

#426 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:00 PM

Say what you like about DAD, but it can't be described as "boring".

:tdown:

#427 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:06 PM

Say what you like about DAD, but it can't be described as "boring". :tdown:

Erm... boneheaded? :)

#428 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:14 PM

He meant you needed to have a bong present to get the full enjoyment out of the movie, duh!

#429 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:21 PM

No, I meant bong movie What else could I have meant? :tdown:

He meant you needed to have a bong present to get the full enjoyment out of the movie, duh!

Yep, just like Alice in Wonderland, that... B)

#430 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:44 AM

Posted Image

yes, I have way too much time on my hands.

#431 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:58 PM

And obviously my standards for entertainment are set way too low.

B)

#432 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:38 PM

I would have loved that picture even more if you had included "...and Beyond." Echoing the Thunderball tagline.

#433 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:52 AM

LOL, I agree.

I still think this one has an excellent PTS, and some good scenes in Cuba early on. In fact, it seems OK until after the sword fight. I think it just tries to cram so much into 2 hours.

At the time, Pierce Brosnan said that they've thrown everything but the kitchen sink into this movie and that always sounded dubious at the time. However, I do remember that he also commented how much he liked to see Bond with a beard, in ragged clothes. Brosnan liked messing with the formula for this episode.

#434 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:24 AM

Wot, this again? B)

#435 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:28 AM

That poster doesn't really make sense, i get it Brosnan is fat and worn but actually in DAD he looked better which this poster is obviously a takeoff. Maybe you should've done one for CR or QOS to get that across??

#436 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:49 AM

Wot, this again? B)

You fool! You're going to expose our operation!

#437 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:18 PM

Wot, this again? B)

You fool! You're going to expose our operation!

Which is what, to put zencat all up in your house with disease?

#438 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

I need to give DAD a new chance. Haven't seen it in years. Maybe if I take it for what it is rather than what it could have been, I'll enjoy it more.

#439 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:47 AM

It has only been July since my favorite thread popped up last? It is like getting a visit from a friend that moved away and you slowly lost contact with.

I think Die Another Day will be this week's Friday Night Bond selection. Thanks for this excellent thread, Zencat!

#440 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:20 PM

It has what is perhaps one of my favorite exchanges from a Brosnan Bond film:

Bond: You know, I always missed your sparkling personality.

(gets punched in the gut from Zao)

Zao: How's that for a punchline?

Sure it's a tad on the cheesy side, but I love it more than just for the dialogue, but also the fact it's Bond using quick thinking to get close to the glass floor so he can use his sonic ring. Classic Bond ingenuity that I love B)

#441 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:41 PM

Sure it's a tad on the cheesy side, but I love it more than just for the dialogue, but also the fact it's Bond using quick thinking to get close to the glass floor so he can use his sonic ring. Classic Bond ingenuity that I love B)

I think that, in the future, Die Another Day will be regarded in the same light as Moonraker is now. A cheesy, over-the-top pleasure. I love the way Brosnan says "You know I always missed your sparkling personality".

I also like it when M talks to Bond about the clinic on Los Orgenos.

"We didn't know such a place existed"

"It doesn't...anymore"

#442 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:30 AM

I think that, in the future, Die Another Day will be regarded in the same light as Moonraker is now. A cheesy, over-the-top pleasure. I love the way Brosnan says "You know I always missed your sparkling personality".

I also like it when M talks to Bond about the clinic on Los Orgenos.

"We didn't know such a place existed"

"It doesn't...anymore"

I agree, the way he said "You know I always missed your sparkling personality" was great.

Also when the platform on rails comes along with the invisible car "Your new car!" "Q i think you've been in here too long."

#443 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:34 AM

It's a shame that DAD was his swan song, because in this film it's really apparent Brosnan has a handle on how he wants to play Bond and how he wants the character to be portrayed.

I think this was the film where everything he was doing in the first three films really came together to form a cohesive whole. And on the other hand, if he had done another I really don't think this film would be as looked down upon as it is now, it's really not as bad as most Bond fans would lead one to believe, it's just that as Brosnan's final film it's viewed as a failure (this is the same fate that has befallend AVTAK, another Bond film that is much better than what most say).

#444 St. John Smythe

St. John Smythe

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:10 AM

Hey all. This is my first post on the forums (not counting my little intro post), but since I just watched DAD, I thought I'd give it a go.

You can count me in the "hate it" pile of peeps, but I don't vehemently hate it . . . I guess. For me, it's a really great, taut, well-acted, gripping, intriguing film . . . until Bond goes to the underground station and sees the invisible car. And then, it just becomes embarrassing. It's like watching the first half of OHMSS mashed up with the last half of Moonraker (although, I'm a Moonraker fan, but mostly because it was one of the first Bond films I ever saw, as a kid, so I'll defend it til the day I die). I think I could have handled the invisible car, were it not for the Opera House Ice Palace . . . and the icy water surfing . . . and Graves' Iron Man outfit . . . and the horrible, horrible puns -- I seriously think DAD has more puns per capita than any other Bond film. BUT. The PTS (I'm assuming that stands for "pre-title sequence," no?) is one of the best, and the title sequence is one of my all-time favorites. (And, well, I love Madonna's theme song - the lyrics are pretty ridiculous, but the music is outstanding.) So, as with any Bond film, I'll take it over no Bond film . . . but just barely.

Thanks for (possibly) reading my (almost) first post.

#445 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:27 AM

I guess. For me, it's a really great, taut, well-acted, gripping, intriguing film . . . until Bond goes to the underground station and sees the invisible car.

UNTIL? What about the terrible Jinx dialogue/performance? The xXx Hovercraft chase? The over the top fencing scene?

Surely there were warnings? Comparing the worst Bond movie of all time to OHMSS does quite frankly seem a little rich.

Edited by The Shark, 14 December 2009 - 05:28 AM.

#446 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:40 AM

I guess. For me, it's a really great, taut, well-acted, gripping, intriguing film . . . until Bond goes to the underground station and sees the invisible car.

UNTIL? What about the terrible Jinx dialogue/performance? The xXx Hovercraft chase? The over the top fencing scene?

Surely there were warnings? Comparing the worst Bond movie of all time to OHMSS does quite frankly seem a little rich.

While I don't share your views regarding the film, I do agree with you that the first half of the film isnt the "greatest Bond film ever" that most people seem to make it out to be. I enjoy the first half, but then again I enjoy the second half too, to me it's all one concise film, I never get how anyone can say the first half is the greatest thing in the world than rag on the last half. To me if you like the first half it should go without saying you're going to like the rest of the film.

#447 St. John Smythe

St. John Smythe

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:42 AM

I wasn't comparing the entire film to OHMSS, I was simply saying that I enjoyed the first half of the film (sort of like I enjoyed the entire film OHMSS) then just completely disliked the second part (much like the last 1/3 or 1/4 of Moonraker). I just literally finished watching Moonraker, and can see how much (in my opinion) it is like Die Another Day, so perhaps my earlier comparison wasn't fully realized. In Moonraker, I'm mostly on board until the Moonraker 6 docks, and then it just all goes to campy hell. Sure, I could do without the pigeon and the hovercraft and the Magnificent 7 theme and the Jaws-falls-in-love stuff in Moonraker, and I could do without the latter part of the fencing scene and Jinx's ridiculous cliff-dive and the horrible and never-ending double-entendre puns in Die Another Day, but other than that, I find the movie(s) enjoyable. Until, that is, the Moonraker dock scene/DAD invisible car introduction.

So, what, the lesson here is never put hovercrafts in a Bond film? Perhaps.

I don't think Halle Berry was particularly horrific (and I am NOT a Berry fan - she lucked out on her Oscar, and I don't think she's really that great of an actress), but the dialogue was, at times . . . not in favor of the actors, to put it nicely. And the worst performance of a Bond girl, to me, will always go to Denise Richards. And had the movie not been so over-the-top in believability in the last half, the movie probably would not be at the bottom of the barrel for me. For me, the latter part of DAD doesn't make up for any of the good I saw in the first half. I think it's perfectly reasonable for the second half of a film (which in this case includes most of the exposition and the denouement) to ruin an entire film. I mean, if you started eating a candy bar and found out the second half was covered in dog poo, it'd pretty much ruin the entire candy-bar-eating experience, right?

So why do I accept and like Moonraker and not DAD? Perhaps it's because I first saw Moonraker as a child, and the aches and yearns of nostalgia age incredibly well. I've always thought Roger Moore had the unfortunate timing of being Bond during the 70s and 80s - kitschy time periods that haven't really held up well for the most part, and can come across as corny and campy and eye-rolling to today's audiences. But since I saw DAD as an adult, I was ready for an adult Bond film, and I don't think I got it. For me, the only "adult" Brosnan Bond film was Goldeneye, and that only might have been because, after a long waiting period, I was ready for another Bond movie, and it was also the first I saw in a theater upon release, which makes for a special memory.

This is just my opinion, obviously, as in-eloquent as it is. We're all here because we love Bond, in whatever form or function he and his films take. So I'll take a fan of DAD and heartily and jovially debate the merits of said film any day of the week. One person's Bond trash is another's Bond treasure . . .

Edited by St. John Smythe, 14 December 2009 - 09:34 AM.

#448 Gravity's Silhouette

Gravity's Silhouette

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

Anyone else confused about Miranda Frost's sexual preference in this film?

She seems to absolutely loathe 007, but I don't know if it's because of him personally or because he's a man. There is an intimation that Moon-Graves used her sexuality to advance his own agenda, and that she was a willing participant, but there doesn't seem to be any suggestion that the two were an item. She seems to be wanting to impress Verity with her fencing, and Verity seems to give off the vibe that her interest in Miranda is more than professional. But the most important scene, I believe, is M's look of incredulity towards Miranda when questioning Miranda about why she's never accepted any offers of fraternization from the other 00's. Maybe I'm just projecting, but it seemed like M was wary of Frost's explanation.

Was she heterosexual, lesbian, bisexual, or perhaps didn't care for sex at all, but just used it as a weapon?

Kind of bummed that they didn't go with the Gala Brand name; much more interesting name, and she didn't need to be called Frost, as it was perfectly clear to the audience that she was cold and icy towards Bond.

I love the Miranda Frost character, I love Rosamund Pike, and she's remained in my TOP 10 list of best Bond Girls ever....up there with Domino Derval, Tiffany Case, Holly Goodhead, Kara Milovy, Natalya Simonova, Xenia Onatopp, Elektra King, Jinx, and Fiona Volpe.

#449 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

Anyone else confused about Miranda Frost's sexual preference in this film?

She seems to absolutely loathe 007, but I don't know if it's because of him personally or because he's a man. There is an intimation that Moon-Graves used her sexuality to advance his own agenda, and that she was a willing participant, but there doesn't seem to be any suggestion that the two were an item. She seems to be wanting to impress Verity with her fencing, and Verity seems to give off the vibe that her interest in Miranda is more than professional. But the most important scene, I believe, is M's look of incredulity towards Miranda when questioning Miranda about why she's never accepted any offers of fraternization from the other 00's. Maybe I'm just projecting, but it seemed like M was wary of Frost's explanation.

Was she heterosexual, lesbian, bisexual, or perhaps didn't care for sex at all, but just used it as a weapon?

Kind of bummed that they didn't go with the Gala Brand name; much more interesting name, and she didn't need to be called Frost, as it was perfectly clear to the audience that she was cold and icy towards Bond.

I love the Miranda Frost character, I love Rosamund Pike, and she's remained in my TOP 10 list of best Bond Girls ever....up there with Domino Derval, Tiffany Case, Holly Goodhead, Kara Milovy, Natalya Simonova, Xenia Onatopp, Elektra King, Jinx, and Fiona Volpe.

I agree on Frost, in both regards. She's an excellent Bond girl (mainly because she is very hot, ironically enough). But her motivations may be a little unclear (although that may be because I haven't seen the film for a while, for obvious reasons).

#450 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

Sorry, Zencat... this thread will never die...