402 replies to this topic

#211 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

This idea of why Bond chose this job has been played out. I have no problem with the films looking deeper into Bond's character. However, this idea of questioning his job needs to go.

In a nutshell, yes.

Though Bond being virtually suicidal in a YOLT adaptation would be OK ;)

#212 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

For my taste, the whole "let´s look deeper at Bond´s character" is completely played out.

If you look any deeper you will see there is nothing else.  Orphan, anti-social behaviour that made him perfect for the spy job, losing his first love turned him into a what the heck-womanizer, and the second love of his life was killed by his main enemy, turning him into an even more determined lone assassin.

What else is there?

#213 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

For my taste, the whole "let´s look deeper at Bond´s character" is completely played out.

If you look any deeper you will see there is nothing else. Orphan, anti-social behaviour that made him perfect for the spy job, losing his first love turned him into a what the heck-womanizer, and the second love of his life was killed by his main enemy, turning him into an even more determined lone assassin.

What else is there?

My opinion: nothing.

#214 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:28 AM

Indeed! It's a crime that they've done this to death before arriving at a YOLT adaptation (which is where SP's ending would naturally lead).

Just like they raped and pillaged Fleming's stories so that almost none could be done faithfully without repetition, they have now exhausted a core theme so that perhaps the best story on this theme, YOLT can't be done without repeated it yet again.

As much as i love Eon and BB etc, they have been remiss to some extent in this regard... Ah, guess i'm grumpy this morning -i need another coffee!

#215 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:23 PM

I actually believe that EON has done the right thing: using elements from the novels that were useful for a big budget mass entertainment, disregarding the rest.

It was even useful to make Bond darker, looking at his psychology - because that was the trend of the 00-years.

But now it´s time to stop.  The sinister, tortured hero is a thing of yesterday, boring and overdone.  It´s high time for a return to the fun James Bond.  And in general, IMHO, to stop treating pulp fiction heroes as if they fit in our reality.

#216 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

Less is more holds true for me. It adds mystique and depth to a character without devoting valuable screentime away from an overaching storyline. I think Batman (1989) did this really effectively. In Bond's case, I really like Felix saying "he was married once, but it was a long time ago" in LTK. With that small scene we learn Bond has plenty of emotional baggage behind his smile. There's more to him. I'm okay with psychology - it depends on the intensity of what they're aiming for, I guess.

#217 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

I actually believe that EON has done the right thing: using elements from the novels that were useful for a big budget mass entertainment, disregarding the rest.

It was even useful to make Bond darker, looking at his psychology - because that was the trend of the 00-years.

But now it´s time to stop.  The sinister, tortured hero is a thing of yesterday, boring and overdone.  It´s high time for a return to the fun James Bond.  And in general, IMHO, to stop treating pulp fiction heroes as if they fit in our reality.

Very interesting thought, but have you seen Logan or Batman vs. Superman? I´m not sure the "sinister, tortured hero is a thing of yesterday".

So, what's next?

#218 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

I actually saw both - and I must admit, I enjoyed Batman v Superman and appreciated the intent and execution of LOGAN.  Yet, I guess that the reaction to BvS already prompted a lighter approach for JUSTICE LEAGUE, and LOGAN is the end of that franchise.  If you look at the other comic book heroes gearing up for new installments it´s all about having more fun and being more light-hearted as well.

And, quite frankly, after LOGAN I was asking myself: is this really what I am entertained by?  Two hours of death, destruction, pain, anger, hopelessness?  While the film is made very well, I don´t want to see it again.

But that´s exactly what drives the ongoing success of the Bond films.  You want to see them again, have a good time watching them, feeling better afterwards.

#219 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:58 PM

There were several lighter moments in Logan, as  though they didn't want to go Dark Knight dark. But, mostly, a bleak film, yes.

Bond is a hedonist. He loves for today because he may be dead tomorrow. That's why he's a womanizer and a drinker and lives well. Of course, in the books, he's more or less a civil servant most of the time and only has assignments every few months.

Edited by DavidJones, 22 March 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#220 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

I love that they've moved into dramatic territory and away from comic book adventure. Craig's movies are action-thrillers and that's more exciting than colourful tropes. I hope they don't abandon the rougher edge and darker tone with wit as it's foil, rather than camp gags.

Just ditch the over reliance on constant question: "is he OHMSS or has he had enough of it all?" Stop using this blunt story device as the crowbar to jimmy open his inner workings. About time they did it in a less on-the-nose fashion.

#221 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

I actually saw both - and I must admit, I enjoyed Batman v Superman and appreciated the intent and execution of LOGAN.  Yet, I guess that the reaction to BvS already prompted a lighter approach for JUSTICE LEAGUE, and LOGAN is the end of that franchise.  If you look at the other comic book heroes gearing up for new installments it´s all about having more fun and being more light-hearted as well.

And, quite frankly, after LOGAN I was asking myself: is this really what I am entertained by?  Two hours of death, destruction, pain, anger, hopelessness?  While the film is made very well, I don´t want to see it again.

But that´s exactly what drives the ongoing success of the Bond films.  You want to see them again, have a good time watching them, feeling better afterwards.

Good points. I don't want to see either of those movies based on how you've described them.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

#222 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

Logan was awesome and executed exactly what it tried to be. Similar to Fury Road.

#223 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

Logan was awesome and executed exactly what it tried to be. Similar to Fury Road.

+1

#224 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

Highest praise - now want to see it even more.

#225 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

The "problem" we all know is that Bond follows his times (you know: Cold War, blaxploitation, martial arts, drug barons...). So nowadays I'm seeing too much series endings, i.e., Spectre's ending was a kind of TDKR ending but...

SPOILERS ABOUT BvS AND LOGAN

Are we going to see Bond's death or immolation like Superman's death or Logan's death. Probably not, but who knows...

#226 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

I think tonally the Marvel films seem to do a lot of things right concerning the balance fantasy/spectacle/fun. However, they are doing their own game and GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY or some AVENGERS flick are not 007, and never will be. For Bond I suggest the producers take a look at the old CHARADE classic, a film that has some genuinely funny moments, some great atmosphere too, but is still firmly grounded in the thriller department. And still it's more suspense than gritty hardcore action and you can watch it without having a bad conscience about being entertained. It would be marvellous if they could reclaim the essence of that spirit and translate it to the here and now.

#227 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:21 AM

YES!  I actually was thinking about watching CHARADE again yesterday.  Such a wonderful film.

#228 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

I love Charade too. Great dialogue! I think Cary should have ended his career with it, instead of with the flaccid comedy Walk Don't Run.

There was a little-seen remake of Charade a few years ago called The Truth About Charlie, which was awful.

I also liked Arabesque, which was made by the same people as Charade and starred Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren. Another similar one is Crossplot, with Roger. 

Edited by DavidJones, 24 March 2017 - 08:13 PM.

#229 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

I know ARABESQUE - but I should check out CROSSPLOT.

#230 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

I hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news but apparently the Writers Guild of America, of which both Purvis and Wade are members, is on the verge of going on strike again.. :sad: Fingers crossed that this can be avoided as we all know what happened last time the WGA went on strike and it's affect on then Bond 22 (Quantum of Solace)..

https://twitter.com/...314222892040192

#231 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

It wouldn't be a Craig Bond film without a troubled production!

#232 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

Why are they with the Writer's Guild of America when they're both British?

#233 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

One supposes it's to do with the studio system of Hollywood. If you want to work there you've got to join the guild(s).

#234 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:23 AM

Correct.

But a strike is not yet decided upon.  It may come - but it may also be resolved quickly.  And maybe P&W will have delivered their first (?) draft by then to get things moving.

#235 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

As I'm sure SAF will also attest, you are advised as a writer to be a be a member of a guild in any country that you'll be working, as very few laws pertaining to creative endeavours are international. This means, although EON is geographically British, it's in their interests for their employees to also have memberships with the American guilds with whom they'll be doing much work given their studio backer and distributor situation.

#236 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:15 PM

If Bond 25 is a Craig film, then I kinda feel bad that all of his movies have had a troubled production phase... if the strike does go ahead. But this is a mighty load of speculation at the moment, both in terms of Craigs return and the strike itself!

#237 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:50 PM

The strike that may not even be is much less of an issue than is the Morbus-MGM...

#238 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:50 AM

It really is baffling how much inertia MGM can enjoy instead of finding a solution to their problems and function as the studio they still pretend they are.

#239 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:40 AM

This feels like 89-95 situation...

#240 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

For Bond I suggest the producers take a look at the old CHARADE classic, a film that has some genuinely funny moments, some great atmosphere too, but is still firmly grounded in the thriller department. And still it's more suspense than gritty hardcore action and you can watch it without having a bad conscience about being entertained. It would be marvellous if they could reclaim the essence of that spirit and translate it to the here and now.

YES!  I actually was thinking about watching CHARADE again yesterday.  Such a wonderful film.

I love Charade too. Great dialogue!

It's one of my favorites, too!  Funny, I was just thinking about that movie earlier today.

Dave