This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

SPECTRE Teaser Trailer (spoiler discussion)

355 replies to this topic

#211 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:59 AM

but who is Oberhauser turn out to be in the movie., that's what troubles me

Edited by FlemingBond, 28 March 2015 - 02:00 AM.

#212 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:00 AM

Mendes clearly likes building Bond stories around surrogate parents and sibling rivalries.

#213 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:06 AM

It´s Shakespearian ;), my dear Harms, Shakespearian. Kenneth Branagh would´ve done the same thing, I reckon.

About that teaser: loved it. Very...teasing. Loved the music, specially the bell at the end. White is formidable in his delivery. Cinematography is top notch. Love the crows. Bond´s a heavy reader, from the look of his flat. Good. Now all we need is the exotic, the sexy and the action. But we all know they´re coming ;)

#214 dirtymind

dirtymind

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:08 AM

"You're a kite dancing in a hurricane, Mr. Bond." Fairly ominous if I say so myself.

what does the line mean exactly........someone who don't go away? 

You're a small fish in a big pond!

You've taken your first step into a larger world!

This is bigger than you can possibly imagine!

It means Bond is insignificant compared to the might of Spectre!

He's going from one side to the other.

#215 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:10 AM

Mendes clearly likes building Bond stories around surrogate parents and sibling rivalries.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about Road To Perdition for a moment there.

#216 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:10 AM

edited

#217 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:23 AM

Are the crows in Mr. White's chalet real or CGI? What do we reckon?

#218 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:24 AM

haha, we have to ask that all too often now don't we.

#219 dirtymind

dirtymind

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:26 AM

If you can't tell the difference, who cares?

#220 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:29 AM

Just curious. What's your boggle?

#221 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:29 AM

I was actually wondering the same thing.

#222 dirtymind

dirtymind

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:32 AM

Just curious. What's your boggle?

No boggle, just saying. If you can't tell the difference, it means they're are real or the CGI is really good. So win win.

Edited by dirtymind, 28 March 2015 - 02:32 AM.

#223 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:44 AM

So for those of you who have read the script how close does the trailer match up to it?

#224 Krilencu

Krilencu

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:52 AM

I'd say very closely, all the quotes were there.  

#225 ChrissBond007

ChrissBond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:59 AM

Great trailer, really exciting. It'll be very interesting to see how SPECTRE, Mr. White and Oberhauser (if it's actually him and not ''someone else'') tie together. The trailer does answer some questions and raises interesting new ones. 

That said, I'm not really the biggest supporter of the continuation of personal storylines in the Bond films and I'm still hoping for a bit lighter tone, but as long as we just get a good story and overall movie I'll be very happy. 

#226 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:03 AM

I got a very FRWL vibe from this.

Yes, they've captured a creepy and mysterious vibe with the trailer. However from what I know, SPECTRE is also probably Craig's most 'traditional' Bond film of the lot, in terms of spectacle. 

As for the crows, I'd say they're CGI. Just have Craig react and add them in afterwards.

Edited by sharpshooter, 28 March 2015 - 03:03 AM.

#227 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:08 AM

i agree ChrissBond007.  everything shouldn't ite into Bond's past and all. i was hoping for a bit breezier film for once.

#228 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:12 AM

After 20+ viewings....

Yes....

Very much Yes.

Opening fade up of a still damaged Vauxhall HQ....Very emotive and eerie in the morning light. Begs the question: How soon after the events of SF does this take place? In a way, sort of like ground zero of the towers the first week after 9/11. 

Love that Moneypenny is the first voice we hear.

To quote Sir Roger from TSWLM regarding the microfilm: "This was only intended to whet our appetites"

The meeting with the Bond theme chimes music is epic and it's great to see that said gathering is in a traditional regal setting as opposed to some high tech lair and all done in the shadows.

The new SPECTRE ring looks awesome. Talking with 004 for quite a bit, he said "To Hell with those damn Quantum lapel pins, that's going to be the new bit of jewelry for Bond fans...I'll buy you a dozen or so." When I asked why so many he added that it would be so I could just have a small pile of them on my mantle as trophy's of all the SPECTRE agents I'd killed. "Sort of like how WWII fighter pilots would have stencils of all the enemy aircraft they'd downed on their own planes" - I laughed a lot. Not a bad notion.

Other bits including the DB10 with it's soft grumble subduing it's roar pulling in and the funeral shots are really atmospheric.

As to White both in setting and appearance and his lines, just seemingly waiting for death and not thinking it would be from Bond or MI6 is a big clue as to the tone of things. From a major player in a syndicate that "had people everywhere" to sitting in a decaying isolated cabin in the mountains and looking like he'd been taking a "hygiene holiday" for sometime implies an even greater force is at work....and he's scared of it.

The damaged picture in Bond's effects obviously obscures someone else. I have a theory about that.

Overall though, this was enough to tease us Bond fans and entice the general audience.

Teaser #2 will be the action and then we'll get a melding of both with the final full trailer.

IMO: Thanks Eon and well played.  B)

#229 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:18 AM

"You're a kite dancing in a hurricane, Mr. Bond." Fairly ominous if I say so myself.

I believe it means that Bond has no control over the events and plans happening around him. In fact, he's being tossed about and sent only where the so-called winds take him.

#230 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:20 AM

five things we learned about the new James Bond

http://www.theguardi...-new-james-bond

#231 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:21 AM

I believe it means that Bond has no control over the events and plans happening around him. In fact, he's being tossed about and sent only where the so-called winds take him.

Indeed. BTW - Nice to see you around Robinson. Cheers. ;)

#232 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:12 AM

Opening fade up of a still damaged Vauxhall HQ....Very emotive and eerie in the morning light. Begs the question: How soon after the events of SF does this take place? In a way, sort of like ground zero of the towers the first week after 9/11. 

Yes, that's an interesting question. I'm thinking maybe a month or so? 

Moneypenny says "forensics finally released this." That's all we really have to go on at the moment.

#233 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:50 AM

The SF timeline is, by rough estimates and post credits, maybe a weeks time by the end. The question being is that what assignment is Bond given at the end? Well, clearly, it's enough time for his haircut to grow out. :P

Seriously though, is it following a lead that takes us to Sciarra in Mexico? 

Also, Bond's flat (as we've seen it) still looks like something he's still settling into. The last time I moved, it was about a month before I had gotten rid of the all the boxes and unpacked everything but the shot of him on the sofa with the books and framed art all stacked and propped about but not up or squared away kind of brought back memories.

With the Vauxhall HQ, maybe repairs to the building are planned but yet to be acted upon until it's been screened/scoured of any and all secret materials being moved to the new HQ. I suspect that's the scene we'll see with Bond and Tanner riding up the Thames. I'll bet there's some dialog that explains what's happening with the building.

I'll go with you on your thoughts ss. Maybe 4-6 weeks later. We'll see.

#234 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:06 AM

The soap opera continues.

My thoughts exactly. Lovely visuals but too much emphasis on the personal angle. But am I still excited about the film? Absolutely.

Edited by AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän, 28 March 2015 - 07:08 AM.

#235 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

Oberhauser's jacket looks like a traditional Austrian one, as mentioned above. And he's not the first Bond villain to have worn one - didn't Telly Savalas wear something like that in OHMSS?

As for "Who is Oberhauser?" - I'd say the teaser raises more questions. Christoph Waltz's appearance certainly looks Blofeld-like - the face in the shadows, the SPECTRE style boardroom meeting, though the backdrop is more opulent. But is he really Blofeld? Are we being led to believe ESB is back, only to find that in this new Bond era the leader is someone else altogether - no aliases or false identities? And who may or may not also be an obscured figure in a burnt photograph?

#236 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:08 AM

Also, Bond's flat (as we've seen it) still looks like something he's still settling into. The last time I moved, it was about a month before I had gotten rid of the all the boxes and unpacked everything but the shot of him on the sofa with the books and framed art all stacked and propped about but not up or squared away kind of brought back memories.

I was going to mention that. Bond definitely looks like he's settling into a new flat - after MI6 sold his other one during Skyfall. 

#237 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:22 AM

The SF timeline is, by rough estimates and post credits, maybe a weeks time by the end. The question being is that what assignment is Bond given at the end? Well, clearly, it's enough time for his haircut to grow out. :P

Seriously though, is it following a lead that takes us to Sciarra in Mexico? 

With the Vauxhall HQ, maybe repairs to the building are planned but yet to be acted upon until it's been screened/scoured of any and all secret materials being moved to the new HQ. I suspect that's the scene we'll see with Bond and Tanner riding up the Thames. I'll bet there's some dialog that explains what's happening with the building.

I'll go with you on your thoughts ss. Maybe 4-6 weeks later. We'll see.

Well if Bond has been off on an assignment or two since the end of Skyfall, it is possible that the film could be set 6 or so months after Skyfall and he hasn't had time to unpack (as he wouldn't have been spending that much time at home.)
Moneypenny's line about the forensics also implies that they've taken awhile to deal with these items...so I'd assume it'd be more likely to be a couple of months than a couple of weeks.

#238 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:43 AM

Okay, my two cents:

Maybe because I got myself in the mood by watching the teasers for the previous Craig-Bonds I was geared up for flashy action.

Therefore I was a bit disappointed when I first watched this teaser.

Then reason reminded me that a) SPECTRE is still in the midst of shooting and B) throwing a lot of hectic action shots at us would have been rather "been there, done that", something that vulgar action films always do because there is not much else going on.

So, I finally could appreciate what EON and Mendes have done: by deliberately avoiding action shots and concentrating on a creepy, tense atmosphere, building towards the main threat of the film, connecting it all with Bond´s character, they finally have brought Bond back to the FRWL days, turning the action-blockbuster-popcorn-feeling of the 90´s into a spy thriller again.

Granted, the action will come.

But at this stage I think there could not have been a more effective teaser for what they are trying to accomplish.

Would I welcome a Bond film that is not dealing with personal angst?  Yes, guilty as charged.

However, I LOVE the fact that they tie the previous films together with this one, bringing Mr. White back (good thing that original QOS ending was thrown out) and giving it all a cohesive meaning.

I only wonder - since I did not read the leaked script and do not want to - whether SPECTRE will end this arc or be the middle act of a story that will only find its conclusion in the next film.

#239 Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

SPECTRE looks absolutely stunning, judging from this short teaser. It seems Sam Mendes is shaping a Bond universe that is nothing short of mythological: the lone figure in the mountainscape, the wise hermit in his cabin (is it just my impression or is Mr. White blind?), the foreboding symbolism of the black crows and funeral images (not to mention what we now know of the Day of the Dead PTS imagery). Bond as a wandering Greek hero, not knowing what fate the gods have in store for him. A kite dancing in a hurricane.

All this stuff has been part and parcel of Bond ever since Fleming put pen to paper, but I don't think it has ever been put on film with such self-awareness and visual eloquence as in the four Craig movies.

SPECTRE has taken the place of the Greek gods in this story, it seems, as an Illuminati-like organisation pulling all the strings. By the way, I love the notes of the Bond theme being played on a sinister music box like instrument when Bond enters their meeting room.

#240 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:31 AM

For reference, here's a shot-by-shot guide to the teaser trailer:

- boat rides past the damaged MI6 building

- Moneypenny hands personal effects from Skyfall to Bond

- Bond looks through the files, finds his temporary guardianship and a photo

- photo shows a young Bond, a man and someone else whose face can't be seen

- Bond guides a boat across a lake in the Alps

- Bond approaches house by the lake, crows fly past as he enters

- Bond watches a funeral taking place (in Rome)

- Lucia Sciarra, dressed in black, observes the funeral

- Aston Martin drives into a courtyard

- Bond walks around the balcony at the SPECTRE meeting

- Bond hands Mr White the SPECTRE ring

- Bond looks over the balcony at the SPECTRE meeting

- silhouette of Oberhauser at the meeting, welcoming Bond

Also, the legal forms say that Bond was "about 12" at the start of 1983 - making him 45ish in the film.