462 replies to this topic

#91 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:27 AM

I think that they could play with us, letting us believe that he is actually playing Blofeld but he is only his mentor and Blofeld will appear in Bond 25

A possible scenario.

I leaning this way so far.  

#92 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:17 AM

Bond doesn't have to have met Oberhauser/Blofeld in his youth, even if Oberhauser senior took Bond under his wing after his parents died. There's a twelve year age gap between the two actors playing the roles, so if we factor that into the story, Oberhauser/Blofeld may have moved on when Bond met Oberhauser senior. Then decades later Franz Oberhauser discovers that the man behind all the mayhem resulting in Quantum being blown apart was once looked after by Oberhauser senior.

(Maybe Franz discovered it as part of research into the Oberhauser family - another link to Fleming, and Blofeld's research into his family tree.)

Blofeld may be "Franz Oberhauser" because it's a cover name, or an identity made up or stolen. I've suggested an explanation earlier in this thread, but whatever the reason all we know, or rather think we know at this stage is that Oberhauser is linked to SPECTRE in some way and that he may or may not be Blofeld.

#93 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:25 AM

I could possibly see Bond, particularly Craig's, knowing and dealing with people quite amiably but not becoming fully fledged friends. He wouldn't be deprived of human interaction, but he wouldn't have to make deep connection. Ala his relationships with women.

#94 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:46 AM

http://collider.com/...hristoph-waltz/

However, then the official James Bond Twitter account dubbed Waltz’s character Oberhauser. Does that mean Waltz definitely isn’t the head of SPECTRE? Could Oberhauser just be an alias for Blofeld?
While talking to Waltz for his upcoming release Big Eyes, I tried to clear that up a little bit. Hit the jump to find out what Waltz said.
When asked if his character is the head of SPECTRE, Waltz simply replied

No. No. It’s more interesting than that

So there you have it. Oberhauser is not the head of SPECTRE and, therefore, Waltz is not Blofeld. But, if we have a SPECTRE, there must be a Blofeld, right?

::Note from Matt: I was talking with Silas Lesnick from ComingSoon.net last week, and he had the interesting theory that Monica Bellucci is playing Blofeld. Silas pointed out that the last name of Bellucci's character, Sciarra, means "habitational name from Sciarra in Palermo province, Sicily, named with a word denoting a volcanic area." As Bond fans know, SPECTRE operated out of a volcano.
Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part, but it would be great if A) Waltz was being used as a red herring; and B) Blofeld is a woman.::

#95 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:31 AM

I've read that Christoph Waltz interview and, unless this is something of a bluff on his part, it may be the case that while SPECTRE has returned, Blofeld hasn't, and I wonder if the reason is that the Blofeld character has become too dated, too associated with parody ( Mike Myers, anyone? ;) ) to fit in with the reboot era, but that audiences might not accept a reimagined Blofeld without the props (Mao suit, cat and so on.)

That said, audiences accepted a female M, Q becoming a young computer whiz and a Moneypenny who was an armed field agent before working at a desk, so why not a new take on Blofeld?

"No, no it's more interesting than that" ? This is becoming intriguing!

#96 willdj

willdj

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:25 AM

i think he thinks the oberhauser thing is more interesting than straight up bad guy blofeld - i disagree

#97 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:31 AM

What the rumours tell us about Oberhauser doesn't depict him as worthy incarnation of James Bond's Moriarty, he might be blofeld but not the Blofeld.

Very intriguing indeed! I just hope that SPECTRE doesn't waste all the potential it has to low-rent soap opera drama. 

Edited by AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän, 15 December 2014 - 11:32 AM.

#98 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:09 PM

i think he thinks the oberhauser thing is more interesting than straight up bad guy blofeld - i disagree

He's read the script and knows what's going on, you may be surprised. I don't know if you've read anything into the Sony incident, but I have a feeling that even those who have had a read through will still be surprised.

What the rumours tell us about Oberhauser doesn't depict him as worthy incarnation of James Bond's Moriarty... 

Things may have changed, you never know - they may be using the leak to their advantage to gauge Bond fans reactions and make relevant tweaks - much like film companies do with test screenings of unfinished films, they take viewers opinions into account and occasionally have reshoots, edits etc based on feedback.

We are at the start of filming, literally. They have to perfect opportunity to see how fans feel.   

#99 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:08 PM

What the rumours tell us about Oberhauser doesn't depict him as worthy incarnation of James Bond's Moriarty... 

Things may have changed, you never know - they may be using the leak to their advantage to gauge Bond fans reactions and make relevant tweaks - much like film companies do with test screenings of unfinished films, they take viewers opinions into account and occasionally have reshoots, edits etc based on feedback.

Yes indeed, I firmly believe that things have been tweaked a lot - that was the whole point of the leaked correspondence and the film is helmed by such people who make almost any plotline work like a clockwork. The early reports and synopsises of Skyfall predicted it to be dreadful and what we got was the best Bond film since 1969! We're in good hands, that's for sure.

#100 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:45 AM

Ugg.  I just happened onto something that explains the plot, it was dated a few months ago. (you'll have to google it yourself I won't provide link)  It has the same stupid plot as the other leaks.  Was really hoping for a "regular/normal" mission, but instead it is more of this "it's personal" crap.

#101 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:05 PM

i wonder if it's what i read.  :angry:

let's just say the end of Austin Power 3 sprang to mind.

#102 SkyfallCraig

SkyfallCraig

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

Those are early versions.

The plot this time is not "personal".

At the same time it is not a "regular" mission.

Something bigger than Bond.

No Austin Powers anymore.

Won't say more.

Stay calm. They know what they're doing.

Edited by SkyfallCraig, 19 December 2014 - 11:50 AM.

#103 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

Well that makes me feel a little better.

#104 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:34 PM

In regards to SkyfallCraig's post.... This is true. I can confirm. Still comes off a bit hokey to me. I believe Mendes will make the best of the material though.

#105 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:52 PM

They know what they're doing.

Better late than never.

#106 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:37 PM

Blofeld better be back.

The vilains in the last two were crappy.

#107 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:21 PM

I am starting to get a feeling while SPECTRE organization is back and Oberhauser is most likely the main villain (with a personal grudge against Bond) his likely demise won't destroy the organization because it is too valuable to EON as a potential plot element. Therefore I tend to believe Blofeld won't be seen in the movie. His presence will be fest, of course, like Moriarty in the first Guy Ritchie movie.

#108 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:43 AM

Either;

1) Oberhauser = Blofeld, and I've posted a possible explanation for this, or;

2) Oberhauser = Oberhauser. Perhaps in this post 2006 Bond universe the original founder of SPECTRE, only to be succeeded by the villain we all know from the Connery days, in a new form, in the next Bond film. Or a senior SPECTRE member but not "Number 1", such as Emilio Largo. In which case we have to wait two or three years until "you know who" finally turns up in Bond 25 - if at all.

The one certainty is that in the post 2006 series the film makers have been playing around with our expectations. The back story to this SPECTRE and this Blofeld, if he appears at all, may have little or no relation to the films pre 2006 or to the books. Even though we have the tenuous link to the short story "Octopussy" because of the name Oberhauser.

#109 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:51 AM

2) Oberhauser = Oberhauser. Perhaps in this post 2006 Bond universe the original founder of SPECTRE, only to be succeeded by the villain we all know from the Connery days, in a new form, in the next Bond film. Or a senior SPECTRE member but not "Number 1", such as Emilio Largo. In which case we have to wait two or three years until "you know who" finally turns up in Bond 25 - if at all.

With the reports of Waltz really denying that he is in fact the head of SPECTRE, I've been throwing around the idea of him being an Emilio Largo type character. Even though I've read the leaked information, it still is quite possible that they are changing things around. You just never know.

#110 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:29 AM

If Spectre is a one off event in the Craig era, and SPECTRE appears and is opposed by him just once, then it would be a shame if Blofeld didn't appear at some point in it. In spite of the denials of the actor concerned, I still think it likely that Oberhauser will turn out to be Blofeld.

But lets assume he doesn't.  That leaves Bond 25, presumed to be the final Daniel Craig movie, as the story where Blofeld emerges, perhaps in a story not unlike the original novel "You Only Live Twice", as some on this site would like. Even if Blofeld appears in Spectre, and assuming he escapes or isn't killed off, he could reappear in 25.

It's been argued that 25 won't be part of a final two story arc because the director, Sam Mendes, is unlikely to have agreed to a two picture deal. Why should a two picture storyline necessarily involve the same director for the second half? CR and QoS formed a story arc, but with different directors at the helm. It could happen again.

#111 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:08 AM

#112 Twingolot

Twingolot

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:08 AM

May be they are indeed preparing some Shatterhand movie for Bond #25, where Bond would be brainwashed at the end, before reappearing in Bond #26 as a new actor. In Bond #26, M could then try to really get rid off Bond by sending him after some Scaramanga-like villain. So I have already a title proposition for Bond #26: The Man who could not die. 

#113 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:01 PM

I get the impression Waltz is locked in a 2 picture deal some reason. B25 will be BLOFELD.

#114 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:30 PM

Christoph Waltz will start filming in February.

. . . Despite his pair of Oscars and nimble turn as Keane, which earned him a Golden Globe nod for Best Actor, the most anticipated role of Waltz’s career is his next—as a Bond villain in Sam Mendes’ 24th installment in the spy franchise, Spectre, due out late next year.
When asked about the rumors

Spoiler
Waltz gets very careful with his words.
“It is exciting,” he says of Spectre. “I don’t start shooting until February, but I can tell you for sure my character’s name is Franz Oberhauser. I don’t know anything about the hacks, but the only thing I can imagine is that
Spoiler
refers to the case that they’re still dealing with with one of the writers.”
And with that, a publicist swoops in and announces that our time is up. Waltz shakes my hand and, unleashing that world-class grin, says, “I hope we’ve fed The Daily Beast appropriately!”

http://www.thedailyb...r-darkness.html

#115 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:21 AM

Blofeld better be back.

The vilains in the last two were crappy.

I have liked all of the Craig era villains. Silva is my favourite. He just had to perform his opening rat speech and he won me over. I am very fond of Le Chiffre and Mads. They are opposites - Silva had his own goals, whereas Le Chiffre was under pressure from others. Same with Greene, who I like to a lesser extent.

#116 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:53 AM

I wonder if Blofeld is part of a two picture arc, not necessarily played by the same actor? Blofeld was not averse to altering his identity in the books to the point where Bond couldn't believe that the Comte de Bleauville and Ernst Stavro Blofeld were one and the same person. So, if Oberhauser really is Blofeld in Spectre, don't assume he will necessarily be played by Christoph Waltz in the next movie.

Also, a two picture arc doesn't have to involve the same director at the helm of part two, as CR (Martin Campbell) and QoS (Marc Forster) proved.

Finally, my guess for the title of "Spectre the sequel", if that's what Bond 25 turns out to be? Shatterhand.

#117 bond_azoozbond

bond_azoozbond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

I wonder if Blofeld is part of a two picture arc, not necessarily played by the same actor? Blofeld was not averse to altering his identity in the books to the point where Bond couldn't believe that the Comte de Bleauville and Ernst Stavro Blofeld were one and the same person. So, if Oberhauser really is Blofeld in Spectre, don't assume he will necessarily be played by Christoph Waltz in the next movie.

Also, a two picture arc doesn't have to involve the same director at the helm of part two, as CR (Martin Campbell) and QoS (Marc Forster) proved.

Finally, my guess for the title of "Spectre the sequel", if that's what Bond 25 turns out to be? Shatterhand.

How about SPECTRE Rises ?!

#118 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

Dave Bautista is Blofeld.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

#119 AdaShelby

AdaShelby

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

Also, a two picture arc doesn't have to involve the same director at the helm of part two, as CR (Martin Campbell) and QoS (Marc Forster) proved.

I don't really fancy three films in a row with a one-worded title beginning with an S, plus the Shatterhand idea wouldn't work for me as it would be a bit of a cop out if they used Oberhauser as a cover for Blofeld in Spectre and then go on to use Shatterhand as a cover for Blofeld in Bond 25. WE'D BE HAVING SOME SORT OF BLOFELD IDENTITY CRISIS ON OUR HANDS. I understand that the Bond film series recycles ideas but not straight after a film that's already done it. It would be like Oberhauser having his own private island straight after having Silva's island in Skyfall.

Edited by AdaShelby, 27 December 2014 - 05:57 PM.

#120 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:19 PM

I don't really fancy three films in a row with a one-worded title beginning with an S, plus the Shatterhand idea wouldn't work for me as it would be a bit of a cop out if they used Oberhauser as a cover for Blofeld in Spectre and then go on to use Shatterhand as a cover for Blofeld in Bond 25. WE'D BE HAVING SOME SORT OF BLOFELD IDENTITY CRISIS ON OUR HANDS. I understand that the Bond film series recycles ideas but not straight after a film that's already done it. It would be like Oberhauser having his own private island straight after having Silva's island in Skyfall.

Agreed.

I've never much fancied Shatterhand as a film title, but I definitely wouldn't following on the heels of Skyfall and SPECTRE.  Plus, the Blofeld identity crisis, as you put it, would be very much a repeat of SPECTRE, if our assumptions are correct that Waltz is playing Blofeld.