98 replies to this topic

#61 Marcin

Marcin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:12 PM

I'm convinced we're building up to a somewhat plausible scenario where Craig's Bond will have to save the world, something that hasn't been done yet during his tenure. I believe the terrible truth behind SPECTRE will be based around some concept of world domination.

I'm okay with that concept provided that the scenario is solid and reliable (if at all possible) -- not cartoonish in the style of 60's or 70's.

#62 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:35 PM

Concerning Vauxhall's take on the new M dealing with White, I think the line might be the usual one taken by some countries in real life - "we don't negotiate with terrorists". You could include a reference to his predecessor being targeted by Quantum - good grief, her own bodyguard turned out to be a member! And Colonel Mallory, as M was, was once held hostage by terrorists himself.

As for the terrible truth about SPECTRE - I can't imagine restoring a major opponent of Bond with grandiose schemes without one of those schemes being part of the plot this time around. It wouldn't have to be along the same lines as those of the 1960s - times and techniques have changed - but it could still have global consequences.

Then again, perhaps the terrible truth about SPECTRE is the sheer extent of its reach - into institutions, businesses, governments and the intelligence sector. Like Quantum only even more so?  Or it might turn out to be something more personal involving Bond himself. We shall all know for certain this time next year.

#63 Marcin

Marcin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:04 PM

One more thing. If Quantum issue apparently is resolved in SPECTRE, don't you think that Guy Haines character should be introduced as well? Maybe he's behind the "political forces" that M has to battle with in order to "keep the secret service alive"?

#64 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:13 PM

One more thing. If Quantum issue apparently is resolved in SPECTRE, don't you think that Guy Haines character should be introduced as well? Maybe he's behind the "political forces" that M has to battle with in order to "keep the secret service alive"?

I think Guy Haines was quietly dealt with after QoS, and the problems M is facing are based on the problems portrayed in Skyfall,

#65 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:05 PM

What if the "cryptic message from Bond's past" is a brief message with a Quantum pin?

#66 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:16 PM

Terrible truth = betrayal of some kind, either personal (Obenhouser) or professional.  With the current regime at EON, my bet is personal.  Sigh.

#67 Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

Terrible truth = betrayal of some kind, either personal (Obenhouser) or professional.  With the current regime at EON, my bet is personal.  Sigh.

That might be the case, SPECTRE literally being a spectre, a ghost, a red herring used to camouflage the plans of yet another vengeful baddie who has a personal beef with Bond / M / the Service. For all we know, it's a rebooted Aunt Charmian Bond (or would that be 'booted'?) running the show. That cheeky Mr. Mendes, how he teases us with his vague comments. Still, looking forward to this one!

Great news that Jesper Christensen is back. He's a terrific actor: anyone seen him as a creepy Nazi doctor in 'The Debt' (2010)? On the basis of that, I could definitely live with him as a surprise Blofeld.

#68 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

With the Oberhauser name in the mix and Baz's report that Waltz is both friend-and-nemesis to Bond, it's gonna be personal. I'd be worried, but I trust Mendes not to lay it on too thick.

#69 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:18 AM

Another thought about the personal angle? Supposing it is SPECTRE seeking a "personal revenge" on Bond for destroying two projects in CR and QoS, plus blowing the whole Quantum network, forcing the leader and surviving members to regroup as SPECTRE. And the first order of business for this new rebranded syndicate is to cripple MI6 and eliminate the man who caused Quantum the most trouble.

Revenge is, after all, one of the words making up the SPECTRE acronym.

#70 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

Is anyone else annoyed that all the reports on this are just taken from empire - INCLUDING THE MISTAKE. How lazy are "journalists" these days?

#71 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

Is anyone else annoyed that all the reports on this are just taken from empire - INCLUDING THE MISTAKE. How lazy are "journalists" these days?

I don't include myself in this, but there's a depressing amount of "churnalism" now. It's a symptom of an age where popularity is dictated by online clicks, and speed is of the essence, rather than content.

#72 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

What if the "cryptic message from Bond's past" is a brief message with a Quantum pin?

That's almost exactly what I think will happen as I believe Mr White will the one who sends the message.

#73 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:08 PM

I've read a variation on that synopsis from last week which refers to a cryptic message from Bond's past, and from an "unexpected source".  Mr White? And does the message relate to events from the recent past - CR and/or QoS? Or even further back to a time when Bond needed a father figure, if you catch my drift?

#74 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

I've read a variation on that synopsis from last week which refers to a cryptic message from Bond's past, and from an "unexpected source".  Mr White? And does the message relate to events from the recent past - CR and/or QoS? Or even further back to a time when Bond needed a father figure, if you catch my drift?

I think it must be a tip-off about the death of Hannes Oberhauser, and the ultimate revelation that his son Franz is potentially the one responsible.

#75 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:53 PM

If Franz really is Franz. Blofeld, in the books at least, was not only a master of disguise and concealment but of creating seemingly impregnable cover identities for himself. Bond's reaction when he meets the Count De Bleauville in the book OHMSS is to disbelieve that he is Blofeld - at least until he puts two and two together about the contact lenses covering the one outward element of his appearance surgery couldn't alter. Then in the novel You Only Live Twice, 007 muses that "Dr Guntram Shatterhand" may have been a cover Blofeld had been working on for years, for just such an occasion as having to escape from one part of the world to another.

Suppose in this film Blofeld has gone one step further - from creating a new identity to assuming someone else's? Identity theft is quite a big issue these days and is easily done. Hannes and the real Franz might have been his victims - following which, and having sweated out everything from them before killing them, the villain assumes the identity and through alteration the appearance of Franz Oberhauser.

That's one possibility, I suppose. But why would he have done it? Why assume the identity of a man who father was well known to Bond?

Oh well, that's enough potential barking up the wrong tree for now on this.

#76 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:01 PM

Why assume the identity of a man who father was well known to Bond?

He's laying a trap for 007.

#77 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:55 PM

Why assume the identity of a man who father was well known to Bond?

He's laying a trap for 007.

It's all so fantatiscal, it might just be true.

#78 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:44 AM

Has anyone suggested yet that Madeleine Swann could be Mr White's daughter? It's another colour gag, and the relationship with Bond could mirror Draco slightly.

#79 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:55 AM

Does SPECTRE really have to be a subtle remake of OHMSS?

#80 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:09 AM

Does SPECTRE really have to be a subtle remake of OHMSS?

It may not even be a subtle one....but as long as it's a good movie, who cares?

#81 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:42 PM

This was such a nice surprise after the press conference, like icing on the cake.

#82 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:01 PM

Jesper Christensen talks about reprising his old role in the upcoming Bond film "Spectre". 

Here's the link:

http://translate.goo...endre-min-rolle

#83 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:26 PM

Nice. Sound like he is only in a small portion of the film, which many of us were expecting. I was hoping they would give him a larger role if this was to be his send-off (still unclear), but as long as they are tying up those loose threads, I'm happy.

#84 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:29 PM

So he's already shot his content for the film. And he called it the best Bond experience of them all , which is great to hear. 

#85 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:11 AM

So he's already shot his content for the film. And he called it the best Bond experience of them all , which is great to hear.

Oh, that's good, considering his comments after QUANTUM OF SOLACE! Wonder how much they had to twist his arm to get him back.

Really interested to see his part play out.

#86 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:14 AM

I'm really eager to see Mr. White's reappearance.

#87 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

Me too. I hope he has a cane or crutch of some sort.

#88 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:00 AM

He'll do what he did in CR and QoS - play a small but significant role, in a key scene in the film I'd guess, and still leave us guessing as to what role he plays within Quantum, and who he really is. At least that's how Jesper Christensen's character came across to me. I've never believed, for example, that his real name is "Mr. White". Perhaps in this film we'll discover the truth about him.

#89 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

He'll do what he did in CR and QoS - play a small but significant role, in a key scene in the film I'd guess, and still leave us guessing as to what role he plays within Quantum, and who he really is. At least that's how Jesper Christensen's character came across to me. I've never believed, for example, that his real name is "Mr. White". Perhaps in this film we'll discover the truth about him.

Given the other high ranking Quantum member we meet is Mr Greene, I'd say you're probably right...

#90 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:21 AM

As long as the White, Greene, Silva colour theory doesn't become a reality, I'm sure I'll be satisfied.

I have a feeling his surname will be made slightly clearer this time around.