263 replies to this topic

#61 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:02 PM

I guess the main problem with SPECTRE is that the majority would not know the word ("revoke" anyone?) and would not know about Blofeld´s connection to it either.

They will have to choose a title that a world wide audience will be able to understand... and say at the B.O.

Quantum of Solace? Not saying Spectre, SPECTRE, or however it could possibly be written, should be used, but it's an easier word for the majority of audience to understand than QoS.

For a title, I would rather something a little less spoilerific.

#62 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:18 PM

My only quarrel with a SPECTRE related title would be that it's not Fleming-esque. Granted, I would be over the moon if they called the movie that... but the last two films have been something actually from Fleming's hand and something that sounds like it could have been.

#63 SkyfallCraig

SkyfallCraig

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:20 PM

This is not a problem. None knew what Skyfall was about. None of the non-bondian knows what The World Is Not Enough means. Probably most of them believe that the title came from that line and they didn't catch Bond humor about it. ("The world is not enough" "foolish sentiment" "family motto").

#64 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:42 PM

This is not a problem. None knew what Skyfall was about. None of the non-bondian knows what The World Is Not Enough means. Probably most of them believe that the title came from that line and they didn't catch Bond humor about it. ("The world is not enough" "foolish sentiment" "family motto").

Agreed.

Who knew what a Moonraker or an Octopussy was?

Spectre would be greeted with much less bamboozlement than Quantum of Solace if announced as the title, mainly because Spectre sounds cool, dangerous and enigmatic - even if you don't understand. 

And the old Bond films are shown on TV all the time, the Blu Ray box set was the biggest seller of the year.

The general public would only need a bit of reminding about the big criminal organisation run by the villain with that cat - it's a major part of Bond iconography. 

#65 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

Agreed.

Who knew what a Moonraker or an Octopussy was?

Spectre would be greeted with much less bamboozlement than Quantum of Solace if announced as the title, mainly because Spectre sounds cool, dangerous and enigmatic - even if you don't understand. 

And the old Bond films are shown on TV all the time, the Blu Ray box set was the biggest seller of the year.

The general public would only need a bit of reminding about the big criminal organisation run by the villain with that cat - it's a major part of Bond iconography. 

Agreed with all of that Shrubs. Spectre sounds so awesome I´ll have a tough time forgetting it if the title turns out to be any other. 

#66 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

Agreed with all of that Shrubs. Spectre sounds so awesome I´ll have a tough time forgetting it if the title turns out to be any other. 

Me too. I'd love it to be called SPECTRE, I even enjoy writing it! 

#67 dirtymind

dirtymind

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:24 PM

I think it would be a great title.

#68 Ace Roberts

Ace Roberts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 433 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:43 PM

It's interesting that when I suggested this as the title last week (under a similar thread in the non-spoiler section) that it didn't receive the same amount of attention or discussion. Perhaps the closer we get to a hopeful announcement, the more scrutiny and discussion unfolds. 

#69 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:55 PM

My only quarrel with a SPECTRE related title would be that it's not Fleming-esque. Granted, I would be over the moon if they called the movie that... but the last two films have been something actually from Fleming's hand and something that sounds like it could have been.

Skyfall had no connection to Fleming.

#70 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:42 PM

Hence "sounds like it could have been."

QOS fulfills the "something actually from Fleming's hand" part of the statement.

#71 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:35 AM

Apparently, another "source" says it´s not Spectre. Hell, at this point, we should all go home (figuratively speaking). Clear out. Last pints all around. No news is good news and all that. After all, Waltz is in LA, Lea is in Paris, Craig´s in London. Everybody´s having a break before the plunge, or so some say. I gather we won´t get any real news before they want us too this time around. Bad luck, I do enjoy my spoilers. 

#72 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:20 AM

I can't believe people are even still speculating, not that I haven't been there but we'll findout the title in 4 days anyway right?...

#73 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:21 AM

I can't believe people are even still speculating, not that I haven't been there but we'll findout the title in 4 days anyway right?...

Not even sure of that, I´m afraid.

#74 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:28 AM

Yeah, it's possible that the title won't be announced right away, and that production will continue under the name Bond 24.

The suggestion that they're avoiding a full-fledged press conference this time out is interesting. I wonder why they made that decision.

#75 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:27 AM

QOS fulfills the "something actually from Fleming's hand" part of the statement.

My bad Billy Bob, I misread that.

#76 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:04 AM

My bad Billy Bob, I misread that.

No worries! I kind of typed that in a rush to begin with

#77 SamNeillIsNotBond

SamNeillIsNotBond

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:33 AM

In all likelihood, the title is not a Fleming phrase or moniker, and MGM or EON has already registered the domain name through some subsidiary to avoid any early detection by tenacious fans. I think we will find out the title on Thursday, but I'm betting it's not any name previously speculated on by fans or directly associated with any existing literary work.

#78 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:49 AM

In all likelihood, the title is not a Fleming phrase or moniker, and MGM or EON has already registered the domain name through some subsidiary to avoid any early detection by tenacious fans. I think we will find out the title on Thursday, but I'm betting it's not any name previously speculated on by fans or directly associated with any existing literary work.

True, that's what I'm expecting, although it would be great to be surprised.

I'm briefly going to float '007' as the title again. In 36 hours' time, we won't be able to guess possible titles for another few years, so I'm getting my money's worth.

#79 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:54 AM

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it's an original title of their creation. Fans always think because Risico, The Hildebrand Rarity and The Property of a Lady are unused they're the next in line. They got on a roll with CR and QoS, but indeed, that stopped with Skyfall. It really could be anything.

#80 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:57 AM

If it's Risico, I swear I won't help but laugh. Not because I don't like it, because I do, I love it. But rather because they did a rather great job of keeping it secret. On the other hand If it happens to leak out by the grace of whatever, I'll probably laugh more.

Having said that, I was surprised with Skyfall and I loved the title, So I'm looking to be surprised again and love the title.

#81 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:59 AM

Of the titles listed above, Risico would be my pick. I remember rumours a while ago about 'Death Leaves an Echo'. Probably rubbish, but I also would be a fan of that.

#82 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:59 AM

I don't mind that . A little long as I prefer either one or two word titles, but that's not bad.

#83 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:12 AM

Risico would also be my pick of the above, but I don't think it's one of the above. I'd wager we're in for a phrase.

#84 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:17 AM

Thrilling Cities

#85 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:55 AM

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it's an original title of their creation. Fans always think because Risico, The Hildebrand Rarity and The Property of a Lady are unused they're the next in line. They got on a roll with CR and QoS, but indeed, that stopped with Skyfall. It really could be anything.

Just IMO, but I think that those titles have gone unused because they would make, at the very best, lackluster film titles. 

#86 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:35 AM

Thrilling Cities

Shut it down for the night. AMC wins.

#87 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:40 AM

Risico would also be my pick of the above, but I don't think it's one of the above. I'd wager we're in for a phrase.

I do hope it's something other than Spectre. Not too fond of that suggestion.

#88 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:43 AM

I'd love for it to be Shatterhand, just for the sound of it - much like Thunderball. But I don't hold out much hope.

#89 SamNeillIsNotBond

SamNeillIsNotBond

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:01 AM

What if it were something derivative of SPECTRE, like The Specter of Death or Shadow of Death or something along those lines? That would be more Fleming-esque and more dramatic, but still give a pretty clear indication of that organization's return. I'm not banking on this, mind you.

#90 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:21 AM

What if it were something derivative of SPECTRE, like The Specter of Death or Shadow of Death or something along those lines? That would be more Fleming-esque and more dramatic, but still give a pretty clear indication of that organization's return. I'm not banking on this, mind you.

Fleming considered titles such as 'The Moonraker Secret' and 'Operation Moonraker' before crossing them all out, realising that the enigmatic simplicity of just 'Moonraker' was far better.

SPECTRE is a cool, evocative word, it doesn't need to be tagged onto anything and turned into a mouthful.