This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

SPECTRE Title Song: "Writing's on the Wall" by Sam Smith - POLL

1942 replies to this topic

Poll: Writing's on the Wall

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Having now thought about it / listened to it a few times

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

My most favouritest Craig Bond theme is

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

My most least favouritest Craig Bond theme is

He said it was a "grower". He was right. It grows like...

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 GalaSilva

GalaSilva

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

How about Alt J to perform the title song?

I can imagine they'd do something sick that hasn't been done before in a Bond movie.

#62 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:06 AM

I'd like Shakira, especially if the film is set partially in a Spanish speaking country. I would love for her to do a Spanish Bond song.

#63 Rik

Rik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Annie Lennox is another that I think could do a top job with a theme song,

#64 bondjames

bondjames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

I've been saying in a few posts that I think we're in for a classic 60's Thunderball adventure with Bond 24 , maybe with some From Russia with Love thrown in.

With that in mind, and to prevent the unavoidable (and likely disastrous for Bond24) comparisons to Adele's unbeatable work with Skyfall, it's best for Eon to go with a male lead. That way the comparisons will not be as direct, and likely not as unfortunate for Bond24.

I suggest a Matt Monro or Tom Jones style opener ala FRWL ending credits or TB. Michale Buble comes to mind (Sinatra wannabe no doubt but he has the lungs to belt one out). Or someone like him. Listen to Dean Martin's "Sway" (the original and not the numerous copies) on Youtube to see what I'm thinking of.

#65 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

With that in mind, and to prevent the unavoidable (and likely disastrous for Bond24) comparisons to Adele's unbeatable work with Skyfall, it's best for Eon to go with a male lead. That way the comparisons will not be as direct, and likely not as unfortunate for Bond24.

I agree- But the problem is that there aren't much male crooners left - Bublé and Helmut Lotti were the only names that popped into my head. I wouldn't mind if Chris Cornell returns, YKMN was a great song.

#66 bondjames

bondjames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

I agree- But the problem is that there aren't much male crooners left - Bublé and Helmut Lotti were the only names that popped into my head. I wouldn't mind if Chris Cornell returns, YKMN was a great song.

Agreed. Cornell was outstanding. Different but very much Bond.

On a related note, I never realized it before but the title work is as important as the song in capturing the mood. What they did with CR was so refreshingly different (and so absolutely 60's) and just perfect with the song (it was copied for Mad Men titles I think). Skyfall was different and darker but also captured the mood of the song perfectly.

Another option is to go wtih someone like U2 or Depeche Mode or even Cold Play. "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" from Batman Forever is absolutely superb. This will be more in the Duran Duran vein and will also avoid comparisons to Adele.

Edited by bondjames, 22 July 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#67 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Cornell would be welcome IMO!

But I´m sure they want Adele back!

Edited by SecretAgentFan, 22 July 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#68 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

I'd rather have someone new. Cornell's song was OK, but the version they used for the film was a muddled mess, far inferior to the track released to radio stations as a single. Given a choice between the two, I'd vote for a Cornell return, but neither would be considered an ideal choice.

#69 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

Even better would be someone new to the Bond franchise.  But I´d rather have a performer than someone who writes his own tunes - because I still hope that the composer might incorporate the melody of the title song into his score.

Of course, we all know that getting an artist to perform the Bond song is all about the studio choosing the latest rage from their catalogue for cross promotion. So... whoever SONY is trying to push will get the job.

#70 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

Even better would be someone new to the Bond franchise.  But I´d rather have a performer than someone who writes his own tunes - because I still hope that the composer might incorporate the melody of the title song into his score.

This.

#71 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

Shirley Bassey.  But it will be Adele.

#72 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

Basically, Bond 24 will be a remake of Skyfall.

#73 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Brett Anderson.

+1

A very charismatic and not overdone artist. And with the return of "Suede" he's accesible to a wider crowd. 

I'd also enjoy a tune from Johnny Marr. He can deliver some killer-riffs and write great lyrics indeed.

#74 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

How about Rihanna?

I'd like Shakira, especially if the film is set partially in a Spanish speaking country. I would love for her to do a Spanish Bond song.

I love Waka waka. I'd be delighted if she was chosen. 

Cornell would be welcome IMO!

But I´m sure they want Adele back!

I don't think Chris Cornell will come back, I don't think he is as popular as he was but he would be welcome back. I'm sure Adele will be back, its only a matter of when. 

#75 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:52 AM

No to Rihanna I am just not a big fan of hers.. I would say okay to Shakira, I think she would do a fabulous Bond song.

#76 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

No to Rihanna I am just not a big fan of hers.. I would say okay to Shakira, I think she would do a fabulous Bond song.

I have no clue in what universe Rihanna would ever be chosen for a Bond song. Having said that, Madonna was chosen....

I completely agree that Shakira would be fabulous (seeing as I suggested it lol). She's both a great writer and performer. I'd love to see her shake her hips during the title sequence.

#77 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

I suggested Shakira for SF when it was still Bond 23 so... lol. 

I didn't think Rihanna would be so disliked. I just figured she seems to have constant popularity and hits, so why not follow up Adele with someone flashy and MTV like Rihanna? 

Perhaps the delayed 2015 Bond 24 release date could entice Adele back though...

#78 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

Well okay then :P. I could see them considering Rihanna at some point (especially if those rumors that Craig wanted her for a Bond girl were true *eye roll*). However, I don't think Mendes would go for her so it would be Bond 25 at least before we saw Rihanna.

#79 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

Did someone on here suggest PINK? Either way I don't mind a few of her songs and wouldn't be terribly disappointed if she was selected, I'd just find with her its a hit or miss. 

#80 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

I've been saying in a few posts that I think we're in for a classic 60's Thunderball adventure with Bond 24 , maybe with some From Russia with Love thrown in.

what makes you say that?

---------------------------------------

on-topic:  

I've been saying for years that I would love another instrumental Bond theme a la OHMSS, Moby or David Arnold could do it, but given the success of Adele's 'SkyFall' , Eon will certainly go for a traditional song.

#81 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

With a bit of epic Bondian orchestral tweaking...Katie Melua, anyone?

#82 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:28 PM

I didn't think Rihanna would be so disliked. I just figured she seems to have constant popularity and hits, so why not follow up Adele with someone flashy and MTV like Rihanna? 

Perhaps the delayed 2015 Bond 24 release date could entice Adele back though...

Rhianna would be great for the main theme. "Russian Roulette" sounds what she'd be capable of, Bond-wise.

I'm not sure if she's a Sony artist, but I think 95% that's who it'll be. 

Edited by DominicGreene, 14 August 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#83 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:12 AM

Good call! I totally overlooked her.

#84 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:28 AM

I'm not a fan of everyone of Rihanna's songs but I like her voice. I did really care much for Adele's SF so I don't think she should return, yet anyway. If Adele does return I expect something amazing.

#85 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

Not a suggestion, just an observation. Those strings and horns, especially at the end...

Edited by RMc, 23 August 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#86 Angus

Angus

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

I would like to see Michael Buble??? Cry Me A River sounded so Bond

#87 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

femalefirst 13 September 2013

Labrinth Pens James Bond Theme Tune?

Labrinth has written a song he believes would be perfect for the next James Bond movie and would love director Sam Mendes to use the track.

Labrinth thinks he's penned the next James Bond theme tune.

The rapper has been hard at work crafting his second album and says one of the more experimental songs would make the perfect soundtrack to  Sam Mendes' next chapter in the spy franchise.

He told the Daily Star newspaper: "I've got a James Bond-themed record on my album as well. If they want it for the new film then they can have it."

#88 singleentendre

singleentendre

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

Not sure why Rihanna is in the discussion. If any pop girl is going to be chosen it's Gaga. She has the capacity to do a ballad, and her deeper singing voice works much much better for Bond.

#89 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:21 AM

I don't think I would like Lady Gaga doing a Bond song.

#90 Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

My pick is also Annie Lennox. She has a great voice and would work well in any Bond song.

No Gaga- she can't sing.