92 replies to this topic

#61 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Man, really wish I didn't read this thread!

#62 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

Agreed Pussfeller, and then inevitably blaming himself for her demise. I don't think they'll drag out his guilt into BOND 24, so my suspicion is that something in the last few scenes after Scotland will give Bond the solace he requires post-M and allow him to move forward.

#63 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

Man, really wish I didn't read this thread!

I've read off and on in this thread. You're not the only one.

#64 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:48 PM

Plausible idea, Mharkin, given that...

Spoiler

Assuming that rumor is true, I love the idea of Bond and M's relationship ending on such a strange, ambiguous note, with Bond simply not knowing whether his aim was true.

As much as that idea sounds plausible, it just won't happen. It's a subtlety that just doesn't exist in the Bond universe. Not that i'm against it, it would be great, but we all know it's just going to be one all out gunfight at Skyfall lodge, and Bond will just not be able to
Spoiler

Nice and simple.

Edited by PPK_19, 17 August 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#65 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

Agreed Pussfeller, and then inevitably blaming himself for her demise. I don't think they'll drag out his guilt into BOND 24, so my suspicion is that something in the last few scenes after Scotland will give Bond the solace he requires post-M and allow him to move forward.

There's a bit of a parallel between Bond's off-target shooting (as seen in the target practice photos) and M's inability to know precisely where Bond is (the "South China Sea" line). The concept of "precise intelligence", and the impossibility of such a thing in practice, is something that unites the two characters. I wonder if the contents of the rooftop box will relate to this theme.

#66 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

I don't think Bond will accidentally kill M.

But I do think there will be a root into Bond 24 at the end of Skyfall. The whole M's office thing screams 'new assignment' and with such a monumental motivation happening in the previous scene - Don't you think it's all just bound to go hand in hand?

#67 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

But I do think there will be a root into Bond 24 at the end of Skyfall. The whole M's office thing screams 'new assignment' and with such a monumental motivation happening in the previous scene - Don't you think it's all just bound to go hand in hand?

Did I miss something about M's office? I though the consensus was the film would end on the shot of Bond on the roof tops? A hint of Bond24 sounds like it would be to good to be true.

#68 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

Did I miss something about M's office? I though the consensus was the film would end on the shot of Bond on the roof tops? A hint of Bond24 sounds like it would be to good to be true.

I seem to remember someone mentioning the film ending with

Spoiler

Or something like that.

Edited by PPK_19, 18 August 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#69 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

That is very exciting, they finally get it!

#70 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

Maybe M could sacrifice herself for Bond?

I would like that.

#71 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

There is a belief that the final two scenes of the movie (directly after the rooftop exchange) are set in a vintage Whitehall office complete with a padded leather door - similar to M's office in the first 16 movies. From this piece of information, it has therefore been speculated that Bond will either receive a new mission or meet the new M in SKYFALL's final scene.

#72 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

From this piece of information, it has therefore been speculated that Bond will either receive a new mission or meet the new M in SKYFALL's final scene.

Spoiler

#73 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

From this piece of information, it has therefore been speculated that Bond will either receive a new mission or meet the new M in SKYFALL's final scene.

Spoiler

Indeed. :) Although I think Bond might have some trust issues to resolve. The idea of Craig and Fiennes sparring for a couple of movies sounds tempting though.

#74 Tuxedo

Tuxedo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:54 AM

edit

Edited by Tuxedo, 19 August 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#75 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

Not sure if this was mentioned before. In one of the trailers you see a glimse of a bw picture showing M with a Chinese. It is right before the screen turns into the line THINK OF YOUR SINS. Could it be that a former relationship with a Chinese man is the "past" that haunts M?

Please forgive me quoting this outside the thread it was posted in (the trailer thread) but I think this is extremely important and is the key to what Skyfall is about.

Firstly however, I’m not certain the man in the photo is Chinese, though he could be. And I don’t think this is about a ‘relationship’ as such.

There has been much speculation that the thing from M’s past is some sort of off-the-books operation from the days of the Cold War. This whole ‘THINK ON YOUR SINS’ and this image makes me think otherwise. The photo of M with this man is way to recent looking for it to reach back that far.

I think M has had this man assassinated and had it dressed-up to look like an accident. I also thing that this happened much more recently than the Cold War.

This photograph actually appears twice in the trailer – though it is quite hard to spot the other time. And on both occasions it is on a computer that M is looking at just before it is hacked into by Silva with the ominous ‘THINK ON YOUR SINS’. In turn, Silva seems to do this as a prelude to a decisive attack on MI6 that will cost lives.

The photo first appears when M and Tanner are in the car, before the explosion at MI6 HQ, that Silva wants her to see. (0.51 to 0.59 in the US trailer) Then on M’s lap top, before he up-loads the agents' identities onto You Tube. (best seen in the international trailer at 0.14) – this is the difficult to make-out one. But you can see it’s the same image of M and that man - it is breaking-up as the You Tube image forms and the part of the image with M is still visible behind the You Tube window afterwards.

It is all a bit difficult to see in the moving colour bars, but it’s worth the trouble, as also in the broken-up image you can just see another photo of two men that seems to be from a newspaper. The headline is ‘ASSASINATED?’ and in the print, if you really struggle, you’ll see the line, “was he assassinated?”

All this makes me come to the conclusion that M has sanctioned a very questionable assassination of an important foreign politician/leader and disguised it as an accident. The is the sin that Silva wasn’t her to think about and it’s the thing from her past that tests Bond loyalty from the one line synopsis.

#76 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

Wasn't one of Bond's 00-justifying kills in the novels a Chinese cipher clerk? I appreciate that in this timeline it was that pompous man in Prague and the spaniel-haired man in the awful shirt in the loo, but it could till be something where Bond is implicated too. Alternatively M made Silva do it and he has since found out it was "morally questionable".

#77 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

They could have taken some inspiration from that. Bond could well be involved somewhere. And then there is his reaction to ‘Skyfall’ in that psychological word association evaluation and all this talk from Mendes and Broccoli about the revulsion he feels for aspects of his chosen profession.

I think this assassinated man must be very important and well known. Look at the size of the headline.

More thoughts on the matter...

When Wilson said that Skyfall is about Bond protecting ‘the service and the realm’ - I think he was also referring to all this. If the politician and or leader was from a powerful sovereign power, this could destroy the position of MI6 and even throw Britain into war.

I think this is bound to be it. The bits are all fitting together now. This sort of behaviour from M, is much more likely to test a man like Bond’s loyalty than a covered-up, botched operation from 20 odd years ago, hurt feeling about being left out to dry or anything like that.

#78 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Could a Mod change the thread title to 'THINK ON YOUR SINS - The secret from M's past’ ? - sorry about that and thanks in advance.

#79 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

Here's that "ASSASSINATED?" shot from the trailer, which I've inverted.

http://imageupper.co...454638072496485

The two men look Japanese to me (which would make sense, if this links into Silva being on Hashima), and there's an atomic mushroom cloud in the picture behind them.

Perhaps the operation M sanctioned ended up causing a nuclear explosion and Silva was caught up in it (turning his hair blond!)?

#80 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

I wish someone could allay my frusration with the 'On' of the sentence.

Why not the more obvious 'Think OF your sins'?

Am sure there is a reason but at present it is coming across to me in the trailer as a bloody typo.

#81 Tuxedo

Tuxedo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 237 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for moving my post to a new thread, Shrublands.

Perhaps the operation M sanctioned ended up causing a nuclear explosion and Silva was caught up in it (turning his hair blond!)?

Or made him lose his hair and he´s wearing a wig since. One of the producers (or the director ?) called Bardem's blonde hair a wig latetely. I can't rember in which interview it was.

#82 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

...and there's an atomic mushroom cloud in the picture behind them.

I don't know about that.

I think the shadow around ‘Paul Inglis’s’ eye, as it fades-up, is making that look more like a mushroom cloud than it would otherwise.
But I could be wrong, it's very difficult to tell.

#83 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

I wish someone could allay my frusration with the 'On' of the sentence.

Why not the more obvious 'Think OF your sins'?

Am sure there is a reason but at present it is coming across to me in the trailer as a bloody typo.

Well, I wasn't there when the writers chose the wording, but to me the two phrases simply have different meanings. "Think ON your sins" denotes prolonged thought, brooding, contemplation. It's a concise, slightly archaic way of saying "Think about what you've done". Silva is telling M to stew in her juices. "Think OF your sins" is more vague, especially as a line of text with no vocal cues.

#84 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

I suppose the assassinations (yes, plural, probably) and other stuff that shows up on screen are just generic "sins" of a long list. The head of Mi6 must have a few skeletons on her closet if she runs covert operations as a living. I don´t think that particular shot is connected to Silva.

#85 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

I suppose the assassinations (yes, plural, probably) and other stuff that shows up on screen are just generic "sins" of a long list. The head of Mi6 must have a few skeletons on her closet if she runs covert operations as a living. I don´t think that particular shot is connected to Silva.

Silva uses the same photo on both occasions - then strikes. Odd if it had no particular significance for him.

I'm certain that M has had to make many decisions to have agents, terrorist and the like killed - However, can you imagine the international hostilities if it was ever proven that the British Secret Service planned and implemented the murder of say someone like the General Secretary of the Communist Party of China?

No, I think this is about one very particular assassination.

#86 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

Hints of THE BOURNE SUPREMACY here.

#87 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

Moving this to the M thread. :)

#88 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

Wasn't one of Bond's 00-justifying kills in the novels a Chinese cipher clerk? I appreciate that in this timeline it was that pompous man in Prague and the spaniel-haired man in the awful shirt in the loo, but it could till be something where Bond is implicated too. Alternatively M made Silva do it and he has since found out it was "morally questionable".

Close, Jim. Japanese.
And the ideas being floated in this thread are fascinating.

#89 Tuxedo

Tuxedo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 237 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

I'm comming back to the Bond/Siva relationship earlier on in this thread. I always wondered why Eon wouldn't tell the name of Bardem's character at the early stages. I found out that you can make RIVAL SOUL out of RAOUL SILVA. Perhaps a nice hint that they are rival souls concerning M? Could it be that both man had M as, say, mother figure? Both where let down by her but react in opposite ways. Bond is comming back to protect her wherelse Silva is back to hunt her.

#90 JCH

JCH

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

Am I right in remembering that Silva is supposed to be from the Azores? If so, what (if any) effect would this have on the speculation in this thread?