92 replies to this topic

#31 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Only using spoiler tags for this next bit as it's quite a big deal about M's fate which not everyone might want to know. Read with caution:
Spoiler

#32 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

You got there just as I was about to post Vauxhall :)

I'll post anyway, as it contains a few different details... [again, read with caution]

Spoiler

#33 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

If this is true. This sounds heart wrenching and amazing. I... I can't contain my excitement. Where did you get these details, Vaux?

#34 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

It's obvious that Shrublands has friends in high places after reading those spoilers! Sounds like Skyfall is going to have a great climax! So its pretty much confirmed then that
Spoiler

#35 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

If this is true. This sounds heart wrenching and amazing.

And like the ending of a million other films.

#36 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

If this is true. This sounds heart wrenching and amazing.

And like the ending of a million other films.

Taking the bare bones description, you could say the same about the ending of any Bond film, even OHMSS.
In this case, I don’t agree at all. Very few films contain the finest actor of her generation playing a part that the audience has seen her play 7 times over so any years. And then at the climax of said film…

If done well, it could be a real stand out chapter in the series. I have confidence in Mendes to pull this off very well.

#37 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

So its pretty much confirmed then that

Spoiler

I'm not entirely sure yet. Given what I know about various scenes and exchanges, I think we'll be left guessing about Mallory and his motives right the way to the end of the movie - and he could turn out to be less than trustworthy.

#38 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

I'm not certain either, but it seems like a safe bet. If Dench goes, that leaves a gaping vacancy for someone to fill. Ask yourself, who can fill it? If they don't replace her with someone equally prestigious, it'll feel like a downgrade. They got a lot of mileage out of Dench being a major-league thespo, and if they scrimp on her successor it will feel like the second coming of Robert Brown. Business is hardly slow. They can afford to maintain the swank. And Fiennes is the only prospect I see. He's prestigious, the right age, the right type, and not averse to taking recurring gigs in genre films. All things considered, I give ten to one that he'll play M, at least for the remainder of Craig's tenure.

Keep in mind that he could easily play a crooked M. In keeping with the times, the Bond series increasingly depicts a world of black-and-gray morality in which a dodgy M wouldn't be out of place. This might even have been the twist that hooked Fiennes : "I'll play M, but only if I can play him sinister."

#39 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

I just hope this will not turn out to be a soap opera.

#40 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

The only thing that looks worrying to me is...

Spoiler

...which, if mishandled, could be terribly melodramatic and angsty. On the flipside, it could provide an opportunity to show just how cold Bond really is. It could go too far in either direction. Bond shouldn't be breaking down, but he shouldn't be a full-on psychopath either. I can't wait to see how they do it.

#41 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

Well, he could do the "Mathis"-trick...

#42 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

Exactly. I liked that scene, but I get the impression that most people felt it was over-the-top, borderline schizo behavior.

#43 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

It kinda was. I thought it was interesting but also a bit over the top, too much shock effect.

#44 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

I can't wait to see how they do it.

Indeed. Think about it: the whole plot of Skyfall stems from M cocking up some mission in her her past/screwing over Silva in some way- and let's not forget Silva's connection to Bond. Almost all the hell Bond is going to go through in Skyfall- from what i can gather- is because of M. "Bond's loyalty to M is tested" - that is the most interesting part of the plot to me.

So
Spoiler
is going to be great to watch. We don't know how he's going to react to that emotionally. Will it be a soap-opera moment, all tears and regret? Or will he just accept that it was inevitable from the beginning of the mission that there was a strong possibility that this could happen and be stoic about it? DC is great at both full blown emotion AND the understated stuff, so this is something i'm incredibly looking forward to.

#45 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

It kinda was. I thought it was interesting but also a bit over the top, too much shock effect.

It might have worked better for me if it had made more sense, but who was Bond trying to fool by making it look like a robbery? The police had been bought off and were in control of the story, so no matter what he did, he was going to be blamed. I just never got the point.

#46 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

I guess Bond wanted to show Quantum that he would not be stopped - not even if someone close to him were killed.

#47 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

I can't wait to see how they do it.

Indeed. Think about it: the whole plot of Skyfall stems from M cocking up some mission in her her past/screwing over Silva in some way- and let's not forget Silva's connection to Bond. Almost all the hell Bond is going to go through in Skyfall- from what i can gather- is because of M. "Bond's loyalty to M is tested" - that is the most interesting part of the plot to me.

So
Spoiler
is going to be great to watch. We don't know how he's going to react to that emotionally. Will it be a soap-opera moment, all tears and regret? Or will he just accept that it was inevitable from the beginning of the mission that there was a strong possibility that this could happen and be stoic about it? DC is great at both full blown emotion AND the understated stuff, so this is something i'm incredibly looking forward to.

The more I think about it, the more the 'soap-opera' moment is the way to go. I'm all for these movies in films, providing they're handled well. The thing is...

Spoiler

#48 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

Will it be a soap-opera moment, all tears and regret?

No more Lifetime channel bollox, please. Just fire a bazooka at the annoying old bag.

You owe it to the fans, EON.

#49 TheSilhouette

TheSilhouette

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

Will it be a soap-opera moment, all tears and regret?

No more Lifetime channel bollox, please. Just fire a bazooka at the annoying old bag.

You owe it to the fans, EON.

Some of us fans actually like her.

#50 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:05 AM

... While the fact that Bond is half Scottish is due to the film series, ...

I beg to differ. Andrew Bond being from Glencoe and his wife Monique being Swiss certainly *is* part of the literary canon.

Wow, Vauxhall and Shrublands, you do have very interesting information it seems...

I am afraid that I do not follow the boards as closely as I should, so forgive me if this has already been discussed to death, but what do you guys make of this line from Q,
Spoiler
?

#51 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

I beg to differ. Andrew Bond being from Glencoe and his wife Monique being Swiss certainly *is* part of the literary canon.

Now we're getting into a chicken-and-egg situation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Fleming's original conception of Bond was just generically "British", with no explicit Scottish ancestry, and every indication that he was a garden-variety Englishman. Later, after Connery had made a good impression in the role, Fleming was inspired to specify the character's background as half-Scottish. So one could justifiably say that the film series is the source of Bond's Scottishness, although Fleming canonized it retroactively.

#52 TheSilhouette

TheSilhouette

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:35 AM

Wow, Vauxhall and Shrublands, you do have very interesting information it seems...

I am afraid that I do not follow the boards as closely as I should, so forgive me if this has already been discussed to death, but what do you guys make of this line from Q,
Spoiler
?

Spoiler

#53 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:54 AM

Now we're getting into a chicken-and-egg situation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Fleming's original conception of Bond was just generically "British", with no explicit Scottish ancestry, and every indication that he was a garden-variety Englishman. Later, after Connery had made a good impression in the role, Fleming was inspired to specify the character's background as half-Scottish. So one could justifiably say that the film series is the source of Bond's Scottishness, although Fleming canonized it retroactively.

Oh right then :)

#54 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:02 AM

Spoiler
?

Spoiler

Got it, thanks! Since I had only seen the line in script, I was not quite sure whether Q was talking to Bond, or about Bond (i.e.: was it this moment when Bond's loyalty was called into question?)

#55 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

You are correct, but it was only added by Fleming because of Connery's portrayal, it was a sort nod to him adding the Scottish heritage. I wasn't suggesting the film makers made up his family history.

Can't find the edit button; I should of finished reading the thread, Pussfeller explained it much better than I did.

#56 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Connery's casting certainly was a factor, but to say it was the only reason is probably overstating it somewhat.
With writing, there are usually numerous reasons for things like this. For example - Fleming's own family came from Scotland. His ancestors were crofters from Perthshire who moved to Dundee to look for work in the late 19th century.
Also, the Fleming family once owned Dalness Lodge near Glencoe, perhaps that's another reason why Andrew Bond comes from that very part of Scotland.

#57 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

Connery's casting certainly was a factor, but to say it was the only reason is probably overstating it somewhat.
With writing, there are usually numerous reasons for things like this. For example - Fleming's own family came from Scotland. His ancestors were crofters from Perthshire who moved to Dundee to look for work in the late 19th century.
Also, the Fleming family once owned Dalness Lodge near Glencoe, perhaps that's another reason why Andrew Bond comes from that very part of Scotland.

True.

I've also found it hard to fathom why Fleming would throw in a bit of Scottish ancestry into Bond's background purely because of Connery. After all, didn't Fleming disapprove of Connery's casting, referring to him as an 'overgrown stunt man'...?

Back on topic, i've always liked Judi Dench's M. It was refreshing to see the M-Bond dynamic develop into something more than employer-employee. That said I do think after 7 films, this is probably the most appropriate time to leave. I find it hard to see their relationship surviving after the events of Skyfall.

#58 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Just a thought I had.

Spoiler

#59 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Very difficult. At the beginning of the film Bond can have lost his abilities a bit. But at the end he should be in control again.

Maybe it would be interesting if even the best agent like 007 can not prevent something he is trained for?

#60 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

Plausible idea, Mharkin, given that...

Spoiler

Assuming that rumor is true, I love the idea of Bond and M's relationship ending on such a strange, ambiguous note, with Bond simply not knowing whether his aim was true.