This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Skyfall Third Trailer - Non-Spoiler Discussion.

110 replies to this topic

#31 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

I do love the trailer utterly, but I must admit that I think the music is hideous. Possibly the worst trailer music Bond's had in twenty years.

Interesting that the US version needs the '007' under the title at the end, but the International audience are able to work out it's a Bond film by then.... :)

#32 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

Amazing. Astonishing. Breathtaking. Superlatives fail. I'd followed all the spoilers, and I was still blown away by these scenes. Brilliant in conception, beautifully photographed, the movie looks like it's going to be an instant phenomenon. Can this film knock FRWL off the pedestal it's held in my esteem for almost five decades? Looks like Mendes and Craig have decided to "take the bloody shot."

#33 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

What is it that Ralph's saying? I keep hearing it as "there's no shame in admitting you've lost a stone" as if Bond is on some sort of anti-weight loss course!

#34 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

What is it Mr Feinnes is saying? Sounds like "No shame in saying you lost a stone?" which seems nonsensical (I am increasingly wizened and deaf) or is it "No shame in staying lost, you know", which at least makes some sense. Can't hear much over the row.

Both having the same trouble there...!

No shame in being deafened, you know.

#35 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

"There's no shame in saying you've lost a step."

#36 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

Hmm, that's probably it. Presumably when it comes to the film it won't have a helluva din over the top of it.

#37 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

Funny thing is. The first time I watched the trailer I heard 'step', now I keep hearing 'stone'. Glad it's not just me!

#38 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

Well, it is spoken in Parseltongue I suppose.

#39 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

That's odd. Did we really coincidentally post the exact same thing at the same time?

#40 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Wow, that villain was a helluva lot better when he was a silent black silhouette!

#41 d21089

d21089

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

Love the nod to Licence to Kill with the hand recognition PPK

#42 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Love, love, love the trailer.

My only knock is it seems 'Skyfall' is a poor title for the theme. Obviously you can't use YOLT or DAD but something else seems more appropriate. Something with 'Resurrection' perhaps.

Oh well. I'm sure it will feel appropriate with time.

#43 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

Love, love, love the trailer.

My only knock is it seems 'Skyfall' is a poor title for the theme. Obviously you can't use YOLT or DAD but something else seems more appropriate. Something with 'Resurrection' perhaps.

Oh well. I'm sure it will feel appropriate with time.

Yeah, 'resurrection' is a nice, Bondy word. 'Licence Resurrected'? :)

I don't know anything about the plot, but it certainly looks like Bond's plunge would be the end of the pre-credits. Funny thing is, that's not exactly a new idea is it? As you say, both YOLT and DAD ended their pre-credits with him failing (YOLT even had him dying too!), and TWINE also had him fail and fall at the same time!

#44 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Funny thing is, that's not exactly a new idea is it? As you say, both YOLT and DAD ended their pre-credits with him failing (YOLT even had him dying too!), and TWINE also had him fail and fall at the same time!

Now they can do it the right way ;) And that goes for all the things people are calling references. To take a concept and improve on it while managing a so called formula works, if done well. It´s a quality issue here, I suppose.

#45 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

*geekasm*

#46 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

The thing is, Bond has never actually been presumed dead by MI6 in any of these films. In YOLT it was part of his cover to get killed, and in DAD he was disavowed, not presumed dead. Nobody seems to be protecting Bond here, he just seems to have managed staying below radar and is seriously believed to have been killed. I think it'll make his return in M's flat all the more powerful in the full context of the film. This is definitely new.

#47 mttvolcano

mttvolcano

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

seems to echo the movie You Only Live Twice

#48 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

And he´s having fun with greek women and shots and...scorpions. How cool can a man get? That´s the best part of the trailer as far as I´m concerned: Bond having an holiday. Although him drinking with the arthropode reminded me a bit of Rambo. Can´t he keep a low profile? Must he have all the folks in the bar cheering for him? Oh Mr Bond, how deranged... Good show nonetheless.

#49 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:41 AM

That’s an excellent trailer. Love it.

Hints of YOLT and AVTAK. Bardem looks menacing, the plot looks great, cinematography wonderful. Hope the editing is good though.

“Bond, James Bond”, Q, trains, helicopters. Very coolThat’s an excellent trailer. Love it.

Hints of YOLT and AVTAK. Bardem looks menacing, the plot looks great, cinematography wonderful. Hope the editing is good though.

“Bond, James Bond”, Q, "You must be joking", trains, helicopters. Very cool.

#50 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:50 AM

That’s an excellent trailer. Love it.

“Bond, James Bond”, Q, trains, helicopters. Very coolThat’s an excellent trailer. Love it.

“Bond, James Bond”, Q, "You must be joking", trains, helicopters. Very cool.

So cool you said it twice!

Quite right though. Looks to be both high-spirited Bondian fun with some of the rawness of Fleming and the Craig era stirred in just to keep the balance.

#51 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:58 AM

The thing is, Bond has never actually been presumed dead by MI6 in any of these films. In YOLT it was part of his cover to get killed, and in DAD he was disavowed, not presumed dead. Nobody seems to be protecting Bond here, he just seems to have managed staying below radar and is seriously believed to have been killed. I think it'll make his return in M's flat all the more powerful in the full context of the film. This is definitely new.

He is presumed dead at the end of AVTAK and the last we ever see of Lois Maxwell's Moneypenny is her crying because of it.

#52 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:01 AM

The thing I'm loving most is that there's some obvious homages to the Bond world (for the 50th), but it's more to do with visual representation (Silva having shades of Zorin/Scaramanga), Bonds obituary etc, rather than "SO THIS IS WHERE THEY KEEP THE OLD RELICS THEN EH? OH LOOK. IT'S KLEBB SHOE. I'LL GIVE IT A SNIFF!"

#53 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:04 AM

And the train bridge scene is an homage to Toy Story 3.

#54 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:13 AM

The thing I'm loving most is that there's some obvious homages to the Bond world (for the 50th), but it's more to do with visual representation (Silva having shades of Zorin/Scaramanga), Bonds obituary etc, rather than "SO THIS IS WHERE THEY KEEP THE OLD RELICS THEN EH? OH LOOK. IT'S KLEBB SHOE. I'LL GIVE IT A SNIFF!"

I agree wholeheartedly. The nods in DAD were as subtle as a hammer to the head.

#55 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:37 AM

They were fun nonetheless. The homages were not the problem. Everything else was.

#56 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:05 AM

They were fun nonetheless. The homages were not the problem. Everything else was.

Yeah, they were fun at the time, and we loved them on CBn. We had lots of threads where we kept spotting new homages!

#57 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:13 AM

I hope Marc Foster see this and retire from the world cinema.

His tribulations on World War Z may well make that happen at least in terms of action movies. I hope he returns to more thought provoking medium budgeted movies as he has great talent in that arena; Monsters Ball, Stranger Than Fiction and The Kite Runner are all fine movies.

On a side note i love QoS - i just think he didn't understand how to cover the action adequately. It smelt of all storyboard and no coverage, making a tough edit. But the opera scene is one of the best in the franchise, IMHO.

Anyway, back to Skyfallllllll.....

Not to mention Damon Lindeloff re-writing WWZ. Goodbye Marc Forster!

#58 Anticitizen

Anticitizen

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:22 AM

What is it Mr Feinnes is saying? Sounds like "No shame in saying you lost a stone?" which seems nonsensical (I am increasingly wizened and deaf) or is it "No shame in staying lost, you know", which at least makes some sense. Can't hear much over the row.

I heard 'No shame in saying you lost this time'.

#59 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:29 AM

I heard 'No shame in saying you lost this time'.

I'm quite certain he does say "...lost a stone" - stone, of course, being slang for testicle, i.e. we now know for sure Eve shot him and where, and why he took a bit of time off. Who wouldn't? ;)

#60 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:41 AM

He's saying "No shame in saying you've lost a step", hence the cross-cutting with Bond looking rusty at the shooting range.