This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want to play future Bond villains?

201 replies to this topic

#151 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

A mafia-type organization with theses guys:

Colin Firth

Benedict Cumberbatch

Gary Oldman

Daniel Day Lewis

Christopher Waltz

Think of it as something like "the circle" in John le Carré´s books. A villainous one of course.

Of course that would mean a poster overload: all names and no picture to go with them. Think about the credits.

Anyways, only one of the above would be just fine as well.

#152 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Christopher Waltz definitely should be a Bond villain.

#153 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Nah, he's way too obvious a choice. And his same old shtick is getting annoying fast. The Academy seems to like it though, seeing as they gave him 2 awards for essentially playing the same character. No, please, cast someone else!

#154 Sir Godfrey

Sir Godfrey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

As I said in another subject, I really want to see someday Kevin Spacey. I believe he was asked to be the vilain in Skyfall. If Quantum is back someday with a chief, Spacey can be a perfect choice.

#155 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

Nah, he's way too obvious a choice. And his same old shtick is getting annoying fast. The Academy seems to like it though, seeing as they gave him 2 awards for essentially playing the same character. No, please, cast someone else!

That's how I felt after watching Django Unchained. He wasn't good in it. He did one film (Inglorious Basterds) in America, and all of a sudden he's the greatest actor alive. With terrible films and half-assed acting in 'The Green Hornet' and 'The Three Musketeers'.

#156 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

A mafia-type organization with theses guys:

Colin Firth

Benedict Cumberbatch

Gary Oldman

Daniel Day Lewis

Christopher Waltz

Great idea, just a pity that 3 of those actors already have been tied up in the Le Carre circle you speak of.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 12 March 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#157 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

That's how I felt after watching Django Unchained. He wasn't good in it. He did one film (Inglorious Basterds) in America, and all of a sudden he's the greatest actor alive. With terrible films and half-assed acting in 'The Green Hornet' and 'The Three Musketeers'.

Well i don't know what movie you guys watched, but i definitely saw the same one the Bafta, Golden Globe and Oscar Academies watched and Waltz was untouchable as Best Supporting Actor.

But as i've said earlier in this thread, he only shines when he has great dialogue to work with. Tarantino writes great dialogue... The hacks behind The Green Hornet and Musketeers obviously do not.

Check out the movie Carnage. With cracking dialogue and direction by Roman Polanski, Waltz is on great form and again steals the show. The film itself is fairly average for Polanski, but by most other directors standards that translates to very good ;)

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 12 March 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#158 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

less known European villain might be a good choice.........someone not too big not too small maybe some respect with critic but that it........don't know who fit that description 

#159 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

less known European villain might be a good choice.........

How about one of these two:

mathieu-amalric2.jpg

mads_mikkelsen_thor2.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist that ;)

(ETA: fixed broken image)

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 13 March 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#160 L4YRCAKE

L4YRCAKE

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

Cirian Hinds as Blofeld!  Others had mentioned it before and in retrospect, they were dead accurate...!   :)

#161 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Idris Elba

#162 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Idris Elba

I second this choice.

#163 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:13 AM

Idris Elba

I second this choice.

I would do it too.....he has won awards in the past.......but it depend if he is available since he is involved in Luthor BBC tv show 

#164 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Idris Elba

I second this choice.

I would do it too.....he has won awards in the past.......but it depend if he is available since he is involved in Luthor BBC tv show 

Well he's been available enough to do be in Thor, Prometheus, Ghost Rider, Takers, The Losers and Pacific Rim, all while playing BBC TV's Luther

Would he be a good Bond villain?

If the part is right for him, then he's a great choice. But stunt casting him because he's currently popular is a bad decision (as such decisions often are).

Unlike most actors i think he's best when playing outside  his own nationality. Luther is great telly, but sometimes his earnestness is a little overcooked. Don't get me wrong, i love Luther and he's superb the majority of the time, but, although i'm sure it's genuine, he often comes across as a 'mockney' cockney. His turn in Guy Ritchie's Rockenrolla isn't one for his CV (nor that of anyone else in that banal indulgence)

However, when playing other  than British he shines. His American character Stringer Bell  in The Wire, along with his U.S. accent, was a faultless performance full of menace and humanity that rightly put him on the map.

Also, the bigger the scope of the movie, the better he is. He was good in Prometheus and Thor and apparently very good in the forthcoming Pacific Rim.

So, by all means cast him, but do not type-cast  him.....

Make him something other  than British and he'll rise to the challenge. Make him a Brit and he'll fall back into type; it'll be gritty, but unoriginal and forgettable.

After Bardmem's  fantastic Silva  that would be a crying shame.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 14 March 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#165 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Idris Elba

I second this choice.

Well he's been available enough to do be in Thor, Prometheus, Ghost Rider, Takers, The Losers and Pacific Rim, all while playing BBC TV's Luther

If the part is right for him, then he's a great choice. But stunt casting him because he's currently popular is a bad decision (as such decisions often are).

Unlike most actors i think he's best when playing outside  his own nationality. Luther is great telly, but sometimes his earnestness is a little overcooked. Don't get me wrong, i love Luther and he's superb the majority of the time, but, although i'm sure it's genuine, he often comes across as a 'mockney' cockney. His turn in Guy Ritchie's Rockenrolla isn't one for his CV (nor that of anyone else in that banal indulgence)

However, when playing other  than British he shines. His American character Stringer Bell  in The Wire, along with his U.S. accent, was a faultless performance full of menace and humanity that rightly put him on the map.

Also, the bigger the scope of the movie, the better he is. He was good in Prometheus and Thor and apparently very good in the forthcoming Pacific Rim.

Make him something other  than British and he'll rise to the challenge. Make him a Brit and he'll fall back into type; it'll be gritty, but unoriginal and forgettable.

After Bardmem's  fantastic Silva  that would be a crying shame

Agreed. Elba was brilliant as Stringer Bell, and we haven't had an American villain for a while.... I just think that he has the physical presence to be able to be a credible threat to Craig's Bond, he's a great actor and he is very very cool.

#166 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Idris Elba

I second this choice.

After Bardmem's  fantastic Silva  that would be a crying shame

Agreed. Elba was brilliant as Stringer Bell, and we haven't had an American villain for a while.... I just think that he has the physical presence to be able to be a credible threat to Craig's Bond, he's a great actor and he is very very cool.

Elba is a fantastic actor and as you said, very very cool. He has this cool look to him haha. He also has a pretty big size advantage (at least to me he does) over someone like Craig's Bond, and it would make for a great, physical altercation between the two in a Bond film. I think he'd be a perfect choice to play a Bond Villain.

#167 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Although Ola Rapace  was fine as Patrice  in Skyfall, i think Idris Elba  could've been perfect in that role.

#168 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

I disagree, I think it might have been a distraction. Ola Rapace has this killer instinct look to him that was perfect for him as Patrice.

#169 Sir Godfrey

Sir Godfrey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Ola Rapace should have kept his real name in Skyfall because "Patrice" is not really frightening.

Although, I found him very good in Skyfall.

Sorry for this off topic !

#170 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

I think the name was fine. Patrice, a nice sweet name for a cold-blooded killer. It worked.

#171 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Patrice was my ex-girlfriend's name, so yeah, cold-blooded is the right word! ;)

I think Elba would be a great villian, but even better as a henchman. He would realy be dangerous and kick the living daylights out of Bond.

#172 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

I'd be upset if he was cast as a henchman, just because he's becoming more well known and what not and to me, it'd be a waste. Three choices for Bond Villains for Bond 24:

Idris Elba

Jason Clarke

Guy Pearce

#173 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

I disagree, I think it might have been a distraction. Ola Rapace has this killer instinct look to him that was perfect for him as Patrice.

But you just said,

He also has a pretty big size advantage (at least to me he does) over someone like Craig's Bond, and it would make for a great, physical altercation between the two in a Bond film. I think he'd be a perfect choice to play a Bond Villain.

Wouldn't he need that 'killer instinct look' to be the perfect choice of villain ?

#174 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Peter Dinklage

#175 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

But you just said,

>He also has a pretty big size advantage (at least to me he does) over someone like Craig's Bond, and it would make for a great, physical altercation between the two in a Bond film. I think he'd be a perfect choice to play a Bond Villain.

Wouldn't he need that 'killer instinct look' to be the perfect choice of villain ?

I believe you've misunderstood me my good sir.

Peter Dinklage

You must be joking? :)

#176 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

As a matter of fact, no. He is a great actor extremely charismatic. Having him as a villain would be surprising, maybe disturbing, but not parodic (I will bet on that)

#177 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

I'm not denying you at all. He is a great actor and he's certainly come a long way. Just something straight out of left field is all :D

#178 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

More than a gay and blond Javier Bardem ? :)

#179 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Yes, actually :D

#180 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

So far I like Idris Elba and Daniel Day Louise. Peter Dinkleg is an interesting thought but I don't see it happening, look forward to seeing him in X-Men Days of Future Past thoguh.