This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want to play future Bond villains?

201 replies to this topic

#181 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

Peter Dinklage

Inspired choice!

If he's given dialogue as good as Game of Thrones, which Dinklage absolutely owns, proving he's leagues more charismatic than rest of the cast - no small achievement (no pun intended), then he'll his own Bond villain too. As it happens there Logan's proven he can write great dialogue with Skyfall.

Yes, he'll come out of left field, but isn't that always the point with Fleming's villains?

I disagree, I think it might have been a distraction. Ola Rapace has this killer instinct look to him that was perfect for him as Patrice.

But you just said,

>He also has a pretty big size advantage (at least to me he does) over someone like Craig's Bond, and it would make for a great, physical altercation between the two in a Bond film. I think he'd be a perfect choice to play a Bond Villain.

Wouldn't he need that 'killer instinct look' to be the perfect choice of villain ?

I believe you've misunderstood me my good sir.

How so, dear lady?

#182 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

Peter Dinklage

Inspired choice!

If he's given dialogue as good as Game of Thrones, which Dinklage absolutely owns, proving he's leagues more charismatic than rest of the cast - no small achievement (no pun intended), then he'll his own Bond villain too. As it happens there Logan's proven he can write great dialogue with Skyfall.

Yes, he'll come out of left field, but isn't that always the point with Fleming's villains?

I disagree, I think it might have been a distraction. Ola Rapace has this killer instinct look to him that was perfect for him as Patrice.

But you just said,

>>He also has a pretty big size advantage (at least to me he does) over someone like Craig's Bond, and it would make for a great, physical altercation between the two in a Bond film. I think he'd be a perfect choice to play a Bond Villain.

lockquote>

Wouldn't he need that 'killer instinct look' to be the perfect choice of villain ?

I believe you've misunderstood me my good sir.

How so, dear lady?

I'm not going to bother. It appears, you have twisted my words.

#183 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Aw, don't be like that, x007AceOfSpades

I'm just asking you to explain why you think Idris Elba  couldn't have played Patrice  because he doesn't have that 'killer look',  yet you think he'd be the perfect Bond villain.

I'm having trouble reconciling those two thoughts and hoped you'd help :)

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 15 March 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#184 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

Ok people, don't flame me here, as i don't know myself if this is a good, or lame idea... But how about Michael Keaton - Beetlejuice  himself - as a Bond villain?

Michael-Keaton-in-The-Merry-Gentleman-20  Desperate_Measures_15008_Medium.jpg  2m3pg10.jpg

The man has energy in abundance, can do loud and maniacal (Beetlejuice), quiet, intense (Batman). Above all his performances are always unpredictable, primed to 'pop' at any moment.

Like i said it's a real left field thought i had, not even sure myself that i like it!

If not the lead villain, then corrupt CIA. I think he was DIA in the Tarantino movie Jackie Brown, but he played the part very convincingly....

#185 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Aw, don't be like that, x007AceOfSpades

I'm just asking you to explain why you think Idris Elba  couldn't have played Patrice  because he doesn't have that 'killer look',  yet you think he'd be the perfect Bond villain.

I'm having trouble reconciling those two thoughts and hoped you'd help :)

He has a different look. Ola Rapace had this silent, killer look, that fit Patrice. If Elba played the role, It wouldn't of worked. He wouldn't of been good for Patrice. Rapace was perfect.  But as a standard villain, Elba, he could pull it off.

Again, It would appear to me, that you had misunderstood me, and/or twisted my words.

#186 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Neither x007AceOfSpades. You just appear to be saying two opposite things about the one actor, so i thought perhaps i had indeed misunderstood. But that is pretty much what you're saying.

Thanks for elaborating though, and i'll derail the thread no longer :)

So, how about Mr Keaton?

#187 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Might have my tongue in cheek here, but then again maybe not. We've talked about villains mostly as per "evil geniuses". What about henchmen? There's an interesting one on the US Sherlock Holmes series "Elementary" at the moment. Haven't seen him yet but according to what I've read online he plays a character who murders people but likes to watch Arsenal playing football on the TV in between.

So, for a Bond movie henchman.... how about Vinnie Jones?

#188 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Neither x007AceOfSpades. You just appear to be saying two opposite things about the one actor, so i thought perhaps i had indeed misunderstood. But that is pretty much what you're saying.

Thanks for elaborating though, and i'll derail the thread no longer :)

So, how about Mr Keaton?

Keaton as a villain? I'd be all for it. Incredibly underrated actor.

#189 Sir Godfrey

Sir Godfrey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Keaton ? An excellent choice !

#190 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

We can rule out Idris Elba now.

http://www.entertain...On-Music-Career

#191 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

I like the idea of Michael Keaton. His nervous, manic energy would work well against Craig´s serious calmness.

#192 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Keaton manages insane nervous energy all the while still convincing us there's a massive intellect hard at work. Better still, when he rains it in he's capable of brooding, bottled up menace, which worked to great effect in Batman and Pacific Heights (1990).

But i imagine Eon will want a bigger name for Bond24's  big villain to follow Bardman's success. But if Logan's story has anything that could fit Keaton, then IMO he'll end up stealing the movie.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 17 March 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#193 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

I just thought the opposite:

Barden is not a realy big name (does anybody know him from a lot more movies then No country for old men?) and Keaton is a too big name, which means he is probably to expensive.

#194 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Barden is not a realy big name (does anybody know him from a lot more movies then No country for old men?) and Keaton is a too big name, which means he is probably to expensive.

Fair point, but IMO Keaton is no longer a big name, in demand actor (though i still love him ;)  Whereas Bardem is very much on the lips of all casting agents, only doing Skyfall because the big budget adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower books fell apart at the last moment. It was set to rival The Lord of The Rings movies in scale.

#195 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

Not sure for Keaton. I love him too, but I feel that his time for a Bond villain has passed. I would more see him as a supporting cast

#196 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:35 AM

Fair point, but IMO Keaton is no longer a big name, in demand actor (though i still love him ;)  Whereas Bardem is very much on the lips of all casting agents, only doing Skyfall because the big budget adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower books fell apart at the last moment. It was set to rival The Lord of The Rings movies in scale.

Not sure for Keaton. I love him too, but I feel that his time for a Bond villain has passed. I would more see him as a supporting cast

Agreed with both.  I like Keaton quite a bit, but he's no longer a big name draw like Javier Bardem was before Skyfall or is now after it's success.  I would certainly welcome him to the series, but most likely in a supporting, Felix Leiter/Jack Wade kind of role rather than as the featured villain.

#197 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

Agreed with both.  I like Keaton quite a bit, but he's no longer a big name draw like Javier Bardem was before Skyfall or is now after it's success.  I would certainly welcome him to the series, but most likely in a supporting, Felix Leiter/Jack Wade kind of role rather than as the featured villain.

Absolutely! Like i said when i first brought his name up, i wasn't sure about his 'big villain' potential, so i floated the idea. But i too think he'd be superb in a supporting role - good guy/bad guy (preferably somewhere in the middle. He really stood out for me in his small role as a DIA agent in Jackie Brown and i could see him doing something similar; perhaps a corrupt CIA agent - a nemesis of Felix! Or a arms dealer!  Something that puts that nervous energy and focus to good use.

#198 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Has anyone mentioned Andrew Scott? My main concern would be over whether he could create another villainous character as distinct as his Jim Moriarty portrayal in SHERLOCK. He is a top actor though, so I imagine he'd bring something interesting.

#199 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

I must be the only person (and the misses) who thought he overcooked his Moriarty horribly.  His over the top approach worked well in the fianl roof scene, but the problem was that he'd been like that since his first scene. There was no character development, just looney tunes from the get-go.

#200 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

Absolutely! Like i said when i first brought his name up, i wasn't sure about his 'big villain' potential, so i floated the idea. But i too think he'd be superb in a supporting role - good guy/bad guy (preferably somewhere in the middle. He really stood out for me in his small role as a DIA agent in Jackie Brown and i could see him doing something similar; perhaps a corrupt CIA agent - a nemesis of Felix! Or a arms dealer!  Something that puts that nervous energy and focus to good use.

But why has it to be a big name?

Most of the time the actor who plays the mainvillian is not realy that well known...

I don't think many people knew Joseph Wiseman, Gert Frobe, Adolfo Celi, Charles Gray, Micheal Lonsdale or the guy from DAD (I even can't remember his name.) before they became a Bondvillian.

Or even the two actors from CR and QoS (I didn't).

#201 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

Just got a feeling that he Skyfall Kudos will attract big names and Eon won't look a gift horse in the mouth

#202 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

As a matter of fact, most of villains were fine and reknown actors even if not big names and it does includes the list above