This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

BOND ON BLU-RAY (Complete Collection / Steelbooks coming Sept)

821 replies to this topic

#721 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

I like the set but to be honest I think the extra disc of special features is a bit of a con. I was really looking forward to the Being Bond interviews but imagine my dismay when I saw that it was only 3 minutes long! 

And I've not put my Skyfall disc in the slot provided. Cause then I'd be left with an empty Skyfall case!

Honestly, can't win these days. 

#722 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

And I've not put my Skyfall disc in the slot provided. Cause then I'd be left with an empty Skyfall case!

Honestly, can't win these days.

Why not do as I did: buy a two-disc Skyfall set, with the blu ray and the dvd, then put the BR in the slot provided. So that you still have the dvd in the Skyfall case! Besides, I bought the Skyfall steelbook limited edition, which looks terrific.

So, you see, there's always a winning way... ;)

#723 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

I just finished watching OHMSS on blu-ray and I'm afraid it's not all good. The picture was very sharp but overtly constrast, there must've been some error with the blu-ray when UE DVD (which has to my knowledge the same 4K source) looked just fine. I can live with the blu-ray but when compared to Dr. No it is a disappointment. 

#724 The Krynoid man

The Krynoid man

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

I really need to get this set at some point.

#725 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

I just finished watching OHMSS on blu-ray and I'm afraid it's not all good. The picture was very sharp but overtly constrast, there must've been some error with the blu-ray when UE DVD (which has to my knowledge the same 4K source) looked just fine. I can live with the blu-ray but when compared to Dr. No it is a disappointment. 

Interesting. I thought the blu ray looked great. I no longer have my UE DVD's to compare.

I have noticed that blu ray has a lot more color than the UE DVD's had. This due to HD and blu ray are able to replicate a larger field of color than SD.

Thanks for the review.

I'll try and watch OHMSS again soon. Just recently watched Diamonds Are Forever and Moonraker on blu ray.

#726 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:39 AM

It doesn't look bad, just very slightly "off natural contrast". Could as well be intentional because when I rewatched it just an half an hour ago my eyes started to get used to it. But still, I think Dr. No and From Russia With Love look even better than OHMSS.  

#727 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

It doesn't look bad, just very slightly "off natural contrast". Could as well be intentional because when I rewatched it just an half an hour ago my eyes started to get used to it. But still, I think Dr. No and From Russia With Love look even better than OHMSS.  

Gotcha. Could be a difference in film stocks that were used too.

I have noticed color differences on the films from the original SE DVDs, UE DVDs and now blu ray.

I think overall the blu rays have the most realistic looking color and picture.

The HD DTS MA sound is amazing as well.

#728 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

Could be the film stock, The opening scene on the beach is also noticeably less blue than on UE DVD, which I like. 

#729 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

I have a question. I read on amazon.com that you can't stop in the middle of the movie, turn off your blu ray player and turn it back on without starting the movie from the very beginning again. Any truth to this?

#730 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

I have a question. I read on amazon.com that you can't stop in the middle of the movie, turn off your blu ray player and turn it back on without starting the movie from the very beginning again. Any truth to this?

True. For whatever reason Fox and MGM did not add the "Resume play" feature on the James Bond blu ray discs. Kind of a bummer, but not much we can do about it at this point.

It's a software item that was not included on the discs.

I have seen several MGM Fox titles that are now including this feature, but again I'm not sure why they didn't take the time to include this on the Bond 50 titles set.

Skyfall might have it, but I haven't checked that one as the 2 times I have watched the film I did not stop it.

#731 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

True. For whatever reason Fox and MGM did not add the "Resume play" feature on the James Bond blu ray discs. Kind of a bummer, but not much we can do about it at this point.

I have seen several MGM Fox titles that are now including this feature, but again I'm not sure why they didn't take the time to include this on the Bond 50 titles set.
Skyfall might have it, but I haven't checked that one as the 2 times I have watched the film I did not stop it.

Damn that is a bummer. I can't believe they wouldn't add this feature which is a pretty important one. I'll probably still buy it, but if they pull some tyranny and come out with another that does add the feature, I'll be pissed.

#732 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

Damn that is a bummer. I can't believe they wouldn't add this feature which is a pretty important one. I'll probably still buy it, but if they pull some tyranny and come out with another that does add the feature, I'll be pissed.

I've really enjoyed the Bond 50 blu ray set. It's not perfect, but I think they look and sound great.

I agree it is a bummer that the resume play feature was not included on the Bond 50 set. There was enough time to add this feature.

I guess we'll get it next time on the next release?

I honestly can't see myself upgrading on the 007 films again, unless there is new mastering or audio work done. I can't see them doing that at this point.

I could see a 4K blu ray set at some point in the future, but that would involve getting a 4K HDTV. Currently there are not any 4K blu ray players on the market, but I think in the next year or so those will start showing up. Last I heard the blu ray association is still determining and standardizing the specs for a 4K blu ray player.

Many of the James Bond films were scanned at a 4K resolution (Dr. No - LIve and Let Die and Moonraker) so if I ever get to 4K (years away at this point), I might consider a 007 4K set.

Again, I don't think they will be changing much on the Bond films on blu ray at this point though. 

I could be wrong though too.

I'm sure some kind of update is coming in 2015 when Bond 24 comes out. I'm guessing just a new reissue of the current set and blu ray discs though.

another note on the Bond 50 blu ray set. I would keep an eye out for a sale on Amazon. They have had it marked down to $99 several times, including one time that was just a few weeks ago if I recall correctly.

The set has been updated to include Skyfall as well. There is also a set without Skyfall for sale too.

http://www.amazon.co...bond 50 blu ray

#733 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:31 PM

I've really enjoyed the Bond 50 blu ray set. It's not perfect, but I think they look and sound great.
I agree it is a bummer that the resume play feature was not included on the Bond 50 set. There was enough time to add this feature.

I honestly can't see myself upgrading on the 007 films again, unless there is new mastering or audio work done. I can't see them doing that at this point.

I could see a 4K blu ray set at some point in the future, but that would involve getting a 4K HDTV. Currently there are not any 4K blu ray players on the market, but I think in the next year or so those will start showing up. Last I heard the blu ray association is still determining and standardizing the specs for a 4K blu ray player.

Many of the James Bond films were scanned at a 4K resolution (Dr. No - LIve and Let Die and Moonraker) so if I ever get to 4K (years away at this point), I might consider a 007 4K set.

Again, I don't think they will be changing much on the Bond films on blu ray at this point though. 

I'm sure some kind of update is coming in 2015 when Bond 24 comes out. I'm guessing just a new reissue of the current set and blu ray discs though.another note on the Bond 50 blu ray set. I would keep an eye out for a sale on Amazon. They have had it marked down to $99 several times, including one time that was just a few weeks ago if I recall correctly.

The set has been updated to include Skyfall as well. There is also a set without Skyfall for sale too.

Ok cool. I appreciate the input. As a life long Bond fan, its a must have to have this set. I'll definitely wait till they mark it down though lol! In the mean time, I'll continue to watch the UE Bond to keep me happy lol!!

#734 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

I'm sure some kind of update is coming in 2015 when Bond 24 comes out. I'm guessing just a new reissue of the current set and blu ray discs though.another note on the Bond 50 blu ray set. I would keep an eye out for a sale on Amazon. They have had it marked down to $99 several times, including one time that was just a few weeks ago if I recall correctly.

Ok cool. I appreciate the input. As a life long Bond fan, its a must have to have this set. I'll definitely wait till they mark it down though lol! In the mean time, I'll continue to watch the UE Bond to keep me happy lol!!

I would wait for a sale on it at this point.

You will see a huge bump in picture quality and sound when you do finally get the set.

I had the UE DVD's and they were great when they were first released, but again the Bond films look and sound great on blu ray.

Good luck!

If I see a sale price on the Bond 50 set again, I will post it.

Also, Costco is a good place to check for the Bond 50 set as well.

#735 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

I certainly will wait for a good sale. Thanks in advance for posting.

#736 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:42 AM

Who the hell stops a Bond movie in midplay?!?! :)

#737 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:56 AM

:D I'm just saying. That's kind of a bummer if you did have to, and wanna pick up where you left off.

#738 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Just picked mine up today. Can't wait to start my Bondathon.

Edited by jmarks4life, 01 May 2014 - 03:46 AM.

#739 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

I really want this but I also don't have a blu ray player.. and I really hate that. 

#740 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:23 PM

I really want this but I also don't have a blu ray player.. and I really hate that. 

You can pick up a very good Panasonic or Sony blu ray player for $60 or so. It's well worth the investment for HD, IMO.

http://www.amazon.co... blu ray player

I am curious about what MGM and Fox will issue or reissue in terms of Bond on blu ray next year with Bond 24.

#741 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:41 AM

You must get one, and watch the Bonds in HD. It's a thing of beauty.

#742 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

Wow!!!! Best Buy has most of the 007 films on blu ray on sale for $4.99 each this week...

http://www.bestbuy.c...&nrp=99&seeAll=

MGM isn't exactly Disney huh?

#743 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:14 PM

On Facebook this has appeared: https://www.facebook...?type=1

A re-packaging of the blu-ray collection, leaving space for the "Spectre"-disc - and it supposedly features a bonus disc with new previously unreleased material and a 52 page booklet...

I knew this re-packaging would come - but is the bonus material really previously unreleased?  And if so, what will it be?

Interestingly, they have changed the position of the Bond actors back to the chronological order.

#744 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:46 PM

On Facebook this has appeared: https://www.facebook...?type=1

A re-packaging of the blu-ray collection, leaving space for the "Spectre"-disc - and it supposedly features a bonus disc with new previously unreleased material and a 52 page booklet...

I knew this re-packaging would come - but is the bonus material really previously unreleased?  And if so, what will it be?

Interestingly, they have changed the position of the Bond actors back to the chronological order.

Probably nothing good. The Bond 50 bonus disc was a joke, IMO. Just not very interesting extras at all. Especially compared to the fantastic John Cork ones included on each of the films discs.

There have been some Bond film screenings in Toronto recently. The Man With The Golden Gun screening featured a new MGM logo and may have been taken from a new transfer.

http://www.cineplex....he-event-screen

There is also several other Bond films scheduled to be screened in Toronto as well. Perhaps these will have new logos and transfers as well?

http://www.theroyal.to/soon/

If the reissue the Bond 50 set again as is, I have no interest.

If there are new transfers done, I am very interested. I am also curious if there will be any new transfers done for Ultra High Definition either this year or next.

Thanks for the post!!!

#745 New Digs

New Digs

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:48 PM

Looks nice and more space efficient than the previous set.

I am at a loss what would be on the bonus disc; most everything unreleased is 'out there' on Bond websites or YouTube etc.

I won't buy it unless I know the bonus disc is worth it or there are some unreleased QoS gems within the set.

Also, 007.com just released news of 9 limited edition steelbooks including FRWL, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, CR, QoS and DAF. Packaging looks awesome for these.

Edited by New Digs, 15 July 2015 - 03:57 PM.

#746 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

Looks nice and more space efficient than the previous set.

I am at a loss what would be on the bonus disc; most everything unreleased is 'out there' on Bond websites or YouTube etc.

I won't buy it unless I know the bonus disc is worth it or there are some unreleased QoS gems within the set.

Also, 007.com just released news of 9 limited edition steelbooks including FRWL, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, CR, QoS and DAF. Packaging looks awesome for these.

It's that Documentary Everything or Nothing from 2012

#747 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:03 PM

Hyperventilating. 

Also, there's this.

The set will feature all 23 films - from Dr No to Skyfall - as well as a 90-minute documentary feature, a James Bond Movie Posters book and digital copies of the films.

Also included in the set will be documentaries The Shadow of SPECTRE - a look at the shady crime organisation SPECTRE - and The Story So Far, which looks back at Daniel Craig's three Bond films to date.

Edited by DamnCoffee, 15 July 2015 - 06:11 PM.

#748 New Digs

New Digs

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:30 PM

Wow.

The Everything or Nothing Doc is good but not worth buying the Blu rays all over again for. However, the Shadow of Spectre and the Story So Far sound like good ideas for bonus features. 

Would love it if the QoS Steelbook has that unreleased Forster Commentary. 

#749 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:55 PM

I'm only interested in buying the bond films on blu ray again if they have new transfers. I'm not buying an updated bond 50 set with 2 new extras.

Come on.....
I would buy the qos that is unreleased as well!

#750 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:49 PM

Here are the steelbooks:

https://amp.twimg.co...22-f469de42c27d

New bond 53? Set.... Amazon exclusive

https://www.amazon.c...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

A couple of new extras... Including everything or nothing which has not been released in the United States on blu ray or DVD...all films include digital copies...

Where are the new transfers for 4k???