This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

BOND ON BLU-RAY (Complete Collection / Steelbooks coming Sept)

821 replies to this topic

#271 iexpectu2die

iexpectu2die

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

For me, the special features are superfluous - all I care about is the films themselves.

That said, I don't even own a blu-ray player. But I'm tempted to make the purchase just for that lovely packaging...

Edited by iexpectu2die, 23 May 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#272 luigi007

luigi007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

Lovely packaging ?
I don't even see a way of taking the discs out of the set without
scuffing them badly.
In my opinion, this is the worst bond box set ever. I'll stick to the UE dvds
and wait for the individual edition blu rays.
Also, I'd expect a "Craig era" box set, after the theatrical release of skyfall,
hopefully with some new content

#273 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Well, why not buy some three-disc DVD cases and slip the UE covers and the DVD and Blu-ray discs into those? It'd be a lot cheaper than buying them individually.

#274 luigi007

luigi007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Well, why not buy some three-disc DVD cases and slip the UE covers and the DVD and Blu-ray discs into those? It'd be a lot cheaper than buying them individually.

The only good thing about the bond 50 set, in my opinion, is the reasonable price.
Other than that, nothing.
I originally intended to buy it, but changed my mind now that we have details on the bonus content
and packaging.
I'm sure, sooner or later, there will be special offers on the individual blu rays, as it's been the case
with the past dvd editions

#275 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

Lovely packaging ?
I don't even see a way of taking the discs out of the set without
scuffing them badly.
In my opinion, this is the worst bond box set ever. I'll stick to the UE dvds
and wait for the individual edition blu rays.
Also, I'd expect a "Craig era" box set, after the theatrical release of skyfall,
hopefully with some new content

I believe the packaging will have a book similar to the one that Fox did for the Star Wars blu ray set.
I was skeptical about books before, but Fox did an awesome job with the SW set.
I love the packaging for Bond 50 and can't wait to get the set! No worries about scratching. It's not a concern at all.

That being said, I will miss seeing individual covers for all of the films.

Oh well. : )
Happy to have them all in HD blu ray at last!!!

The only good thing about the bond 50 set, in my opinion, is the reasonable price.
Other than that, nothing.
I originally intended to buy it, but changed my mind now that we have details on the bonus content
and packaging.
I'm sure, sooner or later, there will be special offers on the individual blu rays, as it's been the case
with the past dvd editions

I believe there is additional information coming about the special features.

**** BAMPF!!!

Update from Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits!!

[font="arial, helvetica, courier, *"]Okay, so we have one more quick update for you today from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment regarding the Bond 50 box set extras. The contents of the set are still being worked on and aren't totally locked yet so it's too early to provide a complete exhaustive list of extras on each disc. However, I'm told by the studio that you can expect that "most everything from the previous Bond Ultimate Edition DVDs and Blu-ray releases will be included." We could caution you that this doesn't mean EVERYTHING will carry over for sure - you may lose some text or image gallery material. You may also recall that the current Die Another Day Blu-ray was missing content from the original 2002 2-disc Special Edition DVD. So there are likely to be a few exceptions. But in general, the goal is to carry everything over. Adjust your plans accordingly. [/font]

Edited by scaramunga, 24 May 2012 - 02:41 PM.

#276 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

For me, the special features are superfluous - all I care about is the films themselves.

My feeling also. I want to see the films in high quality; at the end of the day that's really all that matters.
And if I can have them all in a box set that is not too large, so much the better. Individual packaging is, at best, a waste of space on a shelf.

Besides, what is there left to discover as interesting special feature that we haven't already seen? Apart from the alternate ending of QoS, obvioulsy.

So, all in all, I will ruch to get the new BR box set.

#277 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

I own all the films on DVD, but Dr. No through TWINE are all the "Special Edition" DVDs (w/ the original DVD transfers). I also am relatively new to Blu-Ray and don't own any of the Bond films in HD. So overall this is a great deal for me, the picture upgrade will be nice.

That said, I was a little disappointed like many when I found out the discs would be in a booklet and not individual cases. I do like the look of the set though and as long as it's not cheap quality I'm fine with it.

#278 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

I own all the films on DVD, but Dr. No through TWINE are all the "Special Edition" DVDs (w/ the original DVD transfers). I also am relatively new to Blu-Ray and don't own any of the Bond films in HD. So overall this is a great deal for me, the picture upgrade will be nice.

That said, I was a little disappointed like many when I found out the discs would be in a booklet and not individual cases. I do like the look of the set though and as long as it's not cheap quality I'm fine with it.

The book will be fine. Fox did an amazing job with the Star Wars films on blu ray. They have a similar style book and I really like it. There's no concerns about scratching, etc. It's very well done. The Bond 50 packaging will be great too.

You will love getting the films on blu ray too! What a jump going from the SE DVD's to blu ray! You will love the bump in picture and sound!!

Home Theater Forum is running a poll about purchasing the box set.

http://www.hometheat...the-set-or-wait

#279 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Well, first of all: Yes! Mharkin is absolutely right.

At the moment, it also seems to me that the marketing of the anniversary is severely lacking.

Granted, the Blu-Ray-Box was announced at the start of the year - which gave out the feeling that they would really give the fans what they want. But then... months of nothing. And the announcement of the extras was a huge letdown - or was it? This "oh, it´s not the complete list of extras, we´re giving that one out soon" does reek of mismanagement. Why give out an incomplete "complete list"? Did they notice that fans have reacted with a shrug? Are they frantically putting out new stuff on the discs now? And don´t get me started on the poses of Lazenby and Dalton. While I can swallow that they did the least Bond films of all actors and were therefore positioned at the outer rim, did really nobody notice their weird poses before the first cover art was accepted? At least, that awkwardness has been corrected. The coloring ("hey, Lazenby and Dalton are not our golden boys", it seems to say) should also be corrected but... well, that would be not a dealbreaker for me.

Then, using this sleeve-book might be saving space. But I did not like it with previous box sets and I don´t prefer it here. It will tear or damage the discs. And why the hell was not a separate release of all titles on BD announced? Are they so desperate to get this box over the counter?

C´mon, EON. We´re the most dedicated and loyal fans to your franchise. Give us some respect.

#280 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

Am I the only one who thinks EON could have had Sean Connery personally deliver this set to people's homes and we would still be mad about it!? I mean complaining about the positioning of Lazenby and Dalton to all the extras (and more) being there just not actually listed in the press release? Seriously?

#281 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

Am I the only one who thinks EON could have had Sean Connery personally deliver this set to people's homes and we would still be mad about it!? I mean complaining about the positioning of Lazenby and Dalton to all the extras (and more) being there just not actually listed in the press release? Seriously?

Haha! Very very true Arbogast.

As someone who worked hard on the OHMSS Special Features and provided material for them, I am disgusted by people who say they don't matter. You are entitled to your own opinion of course, but don't slag off the people that put forth the effort for them.

Also, EON isn't responsible for the Bluray decisions folks. They own the intellectual property and have to OK everything, but it is the studios (Sony & Fox) who set the budgets, create the releases and make decisions on content.

#282 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

As someone who worked hard on the OHMSS Special Features and provided material for them, I am disgusted by people who say they don't matter. You are entitled to your own opinion of course, but don't slag off the people that put forth the effort for them.

Also, EON isn't responsible for the Bluray decisions folks. They own the intellectual property and have to OK everything, but it is the studios (Sony & Fox) who set the budgets, create the releases and make decisions on content.

I agree.

I am very happy to get this set and am really looking forward to it.

Everyone has an opinion on what the set should look like. It's impossible to please everyone.

At least Fox did get around the individual covers debate / issue (original posters vs uniform covers) this time by doing a book!

More likely they have just spared that one until the individual titles are issued in 2013 or so.

Anyway. I am very happy with the Bond 50 blu ray box set and can't wait to get it in September!

I have it preordered from Amazon, so it looks like I'll get the book that they are including with the set too!

I actually really like the pictures of Lazenby and Dalton that they are using on the box cover. Great pics!
I just recently ordered this one to frame actually...

http://www.allposter...s_i7971379_.htm

#283 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

I did not slag you off at all. Your work was sensational, and your book on OHMSS is probably the best book ever written on a Bond film.

But do you really think that this box set is a wonderful achievement in itself? I repeat: why the blunder with the poses of Dalton and Lazenby? And why giving out the incomplete "complete list"? If EON has to OK everything - how could they OK this?

#284 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

I did not slag you off at all. Your work was sensational, and your book on OHMSS is probably the best book ever written on a Bond film.

But do you really think that this box set is a wonderful achievement in itself? I repeat: why the blunder with the poses of Dalton and Lazenby? And why giving out the incomplete "complete list"? If EON has to OK everything - how could they OK this?

I wasn't complaining about you - just the people who said the supplemental materials didn't mean anything - they just want the films.

No, I'm not defending the set - just pointing out that people's anger shouldn't be directed at Eon.

I'm really displeased that the material I provided for OHMSS is not being redone in HD.

I agree with you - the cover is pretty bad - and putting Lazenby and Dalton on the different colored backgrounds is bizarre. The actors should be in chronological order and all on the same color background.

And you question why Eon would OK such a thing. Well I've seen OHMSS marketing material from CBS/Fox with FRWL photos. I believe there is a Thunderball VHS release that has a NSNA shot on the back cover! Then you have the "geniuses" at Lowry who edited out the blood red color of the Thunderball shark scene because they didn't know the film well enough and thought the red was because the film hadn't been color corrected and therefore they made the water clear!

So I'm not happy about it, but in the grand scheme of things, that cover is pretty minor compared to some of the atrocities committed in previous home video releases.

#285 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing this up and giving this insight. In the end, I´m not that turned off by the box set that I won´t buy it.

#286 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

Well done Charles by throwing some perspective into this. Yes all these things are disappointing but all these extras people want require money, time, effort and the corporation of people involved, and as I said earlier this is the umpteenth release of these films and I really don't think they consider the return on investment is worth it.

#287 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

I wasn't complaining about you - just the people who said the supplemental materials didn't mean anything - they just want the films.

No, I'm not defending the set - just pointing out that people's anger shouldn't be directed at Eon.

I'm really displeased that the material I provided for OHMSS is not being redone in HD.

I agree with you - the cover is pretty bad - and putting Lazenby and Dalton on the different colored backgrounds is bizarre. The actors should be in chronological order and all on the same color background.

And you question why Eon would OK such a thing. Well I've seen OHMSS marketing material from CBS/Fox with FRWL photos. I believe there is a Thunderball VHS release that has a NSNA shot on the back cover! Then you have the "geniuses" at Lowry who edited out the blood red color of the Thunderball shark scene because they didn't know the film well enough and thought the red was because the film hadn't been color corrected and therefore they made the water clear!

So I'm not happy about it, but in the grand scheme of things, that cover is pretty minor compared to some of the atrocities committed in previous home video releases.

I have a VCD (in the same style as the special edition VHS tapes) of YOLT that has an NSNA photo on the back (with Barbara Carrera in it)... I don't understand how that could happen.

Going back to special features, I would also prefer that they had redone everything in HD (and I'll be pleasantly surprised if this is the case when I get the set) but I'd also like to somehow have the Criterion commentaries for DN, FRWL and GF on an "official" release instead of just relying on a rip from the LDs... I guess having some version of them is enough for me, but I just wish EON would own up to their existence.

Edited by larrythefatcat, 24 May 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#288 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

but I'd also like to somehow have the Criterion commentaries for DN, FRWL and GF on an "official" release instead of just relying on a rip from the LDs... I guess having some version of them is enough for me, but I just wish EON would own up to their existence.

To be honest, though I agree they are entertaining, some of things said (especially by Terence Young) do stretch the truth, and are possibly libellous. You can get them if you want them.

#289 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Very sensible indeed!
We have the complete collection of films in BR, which is tremendous in itself.
But I guess you'll always find people unhappy, on principle, no matter what is released.

#290 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

And don´t get me started on the poses of Lazenby and Dalton. While I can swallow that they did the least Bond films of all actors and were therefore positioned at the outer rim, did really nobody notice their weird poses before the first cover art was accepted? At least, that awkwardness has been corrected. The coloring ("hey, Lazenby and Dalton are not our golden boys", it seems to say) should also be corrected but... well, that would be not a dealbreaker for me.

I have an opposite opinion: Laz' and Dalton are the only 2 figures showing on the "50", which is celebrating the unprecedented 50th anniversary, therefore they actually have the best position on the box cover. They stand out.

Overall, I think we should not forget that we'll actually get a complete set of films in BR. What's more, although of course one may like it or not, they actually tried to come up with something imaginative and original instead of just piling the 22 movies side by side.

You see, it's all just a matter of opinion.
So I see no point in dismissing our pleasure and to revel in complaints, as so often on the Internet, about such trivial details as the colors on the cover...

Really, people, a sense of perspective here could be useful.

#291 thecasinoroyale

thecasinoroyale

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14358 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

(They also get the Golden 50 behind them too, don't forget!)

#292 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

And don´t get me started on the poses of Lazenby and Dalton. While I can swallow that they did the least Bond films of all actors and were therefore positioned at the outer rim, did really nobody notice their weird poses before the first cover art was accepted? At least, that awkwardness has been corrected. The coloring ("hey, Lazenby and Dalton are not our golden boys", it seems to say) should also be corrected but... well, that would be not a dealbreaker for me.

I have an opposite opinion: Laz' and Dalton are the only 2 figures showing on the "50", which is celebrating the unprecedented 50th anniversary, therefore they actually have the best position on the box cover. They stand out.

Overall, I think we should not forget that we'll actually get a complete set of films in BR. What's more, although of course one may like it or not, they actually tried to come up with something imaginative and original instead of just piling the 22 movies side by side.

You see, it's all just a matter of opinion.
So I see no point in dismissing our pleasure and to revel in complaints, as so often on the Internet, about such trivial details as the colors on the cover...

Really, people, a sense of perspective here could be useful.

100% agreed. This is the best looking Bond box set that has ever been done. It looks great!
Finally all of the films on blu ray, with the best possible looking picture and HD sound! In addition all films will have their original audio tracks also contained.

Great stuff. We have it so good!

I couldn't even imagine a set like this when I used to watch the films on VHS growing up.

22 films for $199!! Again, an amazing price for 22 films!

Amazon is also including a smaller version of DK's new James Bond 50 Years of Movie Posters book as well!!

http://www.amazon.co...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

#293 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hopefully more extras are indeed going to be included, seems like a short list for such a meaningful release. The Bond films are really the only films in which I've ever cared about extras like documentaries and such.

#294 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

One got to wonder sincs the box set coming out on September 25 from what I remember, way before Skyfall. The first wo week sales well have been done and over. Anyone think they will come out with anything near the movie, Black Friday and the holiday. Say QOS CE, indivial box sets that could in book form or not

#295 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Just received an email from Amazon. Should be getting my set between September 28 and October 2. Not bad! Didn't know a hardcover book was included, either.

#296 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

I like the idea of doing them in book form instead of individual covers. While I was initially hoping for covers featuring the original poster art, this is nice because it's different. I like how all of the discs are unified and the box set looks pretty good overall. I'm glad I've held off on buying any of the currently available Blu Rays of the Bond films. I almost caved last year when my local HMV was selling them cheap but I figured they'd do a big release for the 50th. Luckily I was right, and this should look great on my Bond shelf.

#297 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

I like the idea of doing them in book form instead of individual covers. While I was initially hoping for covers featuring the original poster art, this is nice because it's different. I like how all of the discs are unified and the box set looks pretty good overall. I'm glad I've held off on buying any of the currently available Blu Rays of the Bond films. I almost caved last year when my local HMV was selling them cheap but I figured they'd do a big release for the 50th. Luckily I was right, and this should look great on my Bond shelf.

Agreed. Amazon has discounted the single disc titles now too.

I do wonder if they will add a few extras to the individual films. Crossing my fingers anyway.
If not, I am still very happy with the news and set.

This is the best Bond film set that has ever been produced.

#298 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:38 AM

I just love this trailer

The car jump is the best next to the gun barrel.

EDIT gun barrels.

#299 thecasinoroyale

thecasinoroyale

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14358 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Is that a new official trailer S K Y F A L L? Still a cracking one...but can't believe they didn't use ANY footage from 'OHMSS' and even give Lazenby his mug shot after the 'All The Bonds' bit...that is a bit off, even for EON!

...still can't bloody wait!

#300 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

No its not a new one, just the first one.