Thomas Newman to score 'Skyfall'

1894 replies to this topic

#61 OwenDavian

OwenDavian

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:56 AM

Edited by OwenDavian, 05 January 2012 - 01:56 AM.

#62 genuinefelixleiter

genuinefelixleiter

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:12 AM

Mendes is a truly gifted filmmaker. I think that the series will benefit greatly at his hand.
The combination of his direction and Craig's acting chops should prove to be terrific.
While many fans were pleased with Arnold's 007 scores, I never really was that impressed. I never really found him to be a great fit for the series. I'm an old school fan, John Barry is irreplaceable, to me. That said I have great hope for this new composer.
It's about time for a Bond theme song to hit the top of the charts internationally!
What I really wish for are some killer horns and high noted strings, not synth orchestration for this special anniversary treat.

Be well,
Your brother from Langley

#63 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:53 AM

This is a great clip of Mendes and Newman's work together, phenomenal scene.

And it's entirely inappropriate for Bond. If you want to sell the notion of Newman compoising the score, the least you could do is actually provide a sample that does both Newman and Bond justice.

That's the problem. Newman doesn't have anything that sounds like Bond. Thomas will definitely doing something different this time around.

Edited by DominicGreene, 05 January 2012 - 02:56 AM.

#64 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:01 AM

He should be good. But Eon could have handled things better, re: Arnold.

How so?
Anyway, this is good news.

Well, they've obviously been keeping him in the dark about it, for whatever reason. Which isn't really very good form, considering he's supposed to be a part of the so-called "Bond Family."

Anyway, it's Newman's gig now, and I've been waiting for nearly a quarter of a century for another really good Bond score. Hopefully, he'll be the one to deliver it.

Haven't seen the film, but this one's growing on me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_jbhAO_Nr4

It sounds okay. But surely this would have been more appropriate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4kiXh8YOzk

#65 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:03 AM

That's the problem. Newman doesn't have anything that sounds like Bond.

But he does have some that sound more like Bond than others. For example, this fits Bond better than this.

Because right now, it's a bit like saying Daniel Craig is the best man for Bond based on his performance in TOMB RAIDER whilst ignoring LAYER CAKE.

#66 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:26 AM

That's the problem. Newman doesn't have anything that sounds like Bond.

But he does have some that sound more like Bond than others. For example, this fits Bond better than this.

Because right now, it's a bit like saying Daniel Craig is the best man for Bond based on his performance in TOMB RAIDER whilst ignoring LAYER CAKE.

I guess, I'm starting to doubt Newman though. I mean out of all the people you could have picked to score a Bond film? Even if he works for Mendes all the time, there are much more fit people for Bond. I think everyones just excited because it's different. Newman's really going to need to impress us.

#67 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:31 AM

Ugh. You should see the reactions to this over at MI6. I'm sure some people are convinced that EON have fired David Arnold, and that MI6 members are the ones responsible for making it happen.

#68 TQB

TQB

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:42 AM

Ugh. You should see the reactions to this over at MI6. I'm sure some people are convinced that EON have fired David Arnold, and that MI6 members are the ones responsible for making it happen.

i love espionage going on between websites.

#69 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:56 AM

I'm sure you'll love it even more when I tell you that members of MI6 frequently take news that is posted here and then re-post it over there without so much as acknowledging where it came from. Although imitiation, as they say, is the highest form of flattery.

#70 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

It's not exactly Bondian, but I really like listening to his Wall-E score. I'm game for hearing what he can do here. While, yes, everyone will be waiting with baited breath for his Bond theme, I'm interested to see how atmospheric things are going to get; specifically, how he's going to incorporate the cultural sounds into the pieces that highlight the location in which that portion of the film takes place.

I'm not holding my breath for the 007 theme; I love the piece, but I find it difficult to imagine how it would sound with updated orchestration. Films (and, thus, film scores) rarely take the time to have a "travelogue" sequence included. At least we know it will be a score devoid of too many unwelcome quirks (the synthbeat-infused DAD gunbarrel comes to mind).

#71 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:14 AM

Like I said earlier, I think the Barry family control the 007 Theme. If they didn't release it to David Arnold for use in GOLDENEYE-QUANTUM OF SOLACE, I don't see why they would give newman permission to use it.

#72 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:38 AM

Like I said earlier, I think the Barry family control the 007 Theme. If they didn't release it to David Arnold for use in GOLDENEYE-QUANTUM OF SOLACE, I don't see why they would give newman permission to use it.

Good point. Arnold likely would have used it for better or worse if he could have.

#73 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:51 AM

Well, the 007 Theme hasn't been used since MOONRAKER. There is obviously a reason for this, and I very much doubt that it was "the composer didn't feel like it".

#74 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

Very exciting news. Newman is terrific and we needed a change of composer now.

#75 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

Um, so the possibility of Mendes employing his favorite composer is high, yes.

But everybody gets excited because Mi6.co.uk writes that it "understands" that Newman will write the score?

"Understands"?

That´s all it takes these days to consider something true?

Let´s wait and see. And if Newman indeed is hired, it´s not because mi6 said so, my friends. It´s because Mendes and Newman have a working relationship.

#76 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

But everybody gets excited because Mi6.co.uk writes that it "understands" that Newman will write the score?

"Understands"?

At MI6, yes. That's all it takes.

#77 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

...DA showed he was incapable of creating something new for the franchise, a sound that could be called the DA touch...

Awww.... Not fair!

As i said earlier, see the last minute of QoS' 'Pursuit At Port Au Prince' is fantastic. As is the last 30 seconds of 'Time To Get Out'(just before the opening credits and 'Another Way To Die' kicks in.

And in particular, my favourite piece of Bond music since the 60s, also from QoS, is 'The Dead Don't Care About Vengeance'

Arnold introduced this light, cool, sometimes mysterious, sometime thriller-like element into the movies that was never, ever there before. Barry used strings etc for the intrigue, whereas Arnold gave us modern synthesised sounds that update Bond perfectly.

Back in his first score, TND, was hidden a gem: 'Helicopter Ride' (as Bond & Wai Lin are flown to Carver's high rise in HQ in Saigon). I think this side of Arnold was just beginning to takeover in QoS - an almost Funeral In Berlin' feel to the score. You get the sense with these tracks that they reflected more personal taste than his 'Bond tributes' involving big brass, electric guitars and now cliched pensive, or doting strings. What a shame Skyfall won't allow him to maybe move further in the direction of 'The Dead Don't Care About Vengeance'. hope he's back soon.

However, many great filmmakers have a symbiosis with a composer that adds a great deal. Filmmakers that respect this are often the best, such as Sergio Leone & Ennio Morricone. So kudos to Mendes for sticking to his guns.

#78 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

Um, so the possibility of Mendes employing his favorite composer is high, yes.

"Understands"?

Let´s wait and see. And if Newman indeed is hired, it´s not because mi6 said so, my friends. It´s because Mendes and Newman have a working relationship.

Amen to that. Admittedly, the possiblity of Newman being (or getting) hired is rather high. I'm going to believe it when we have a confirmation.
No one over there would believe it if it was reported by CBn, either.

#79 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

No one over there would believe it if it was reported by CBn, either.

I have half a mind to take the story from here, repost it over there and present it as coming from CBn just to see what happens ... but I can't. I went and got myself banned.

#80 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

Well, the 007 Theme hasn't been used since MOONRAKER. There is obviously a reason for this, and I very much doubt that it was "the composer didn't feel like it".

Er, i'm pretty sure that although there's been controversy Monty Norman has been given the credit:

The "James Bond Theme" was written by Monty Norman and was first orchestrated by the John Barry Orchestra for 1962'sDr. No, although the actual authorship of the music has been a matter of controversy for many years.[In 2001, Norman won £30,000 in libel damages from the The Sunday Times newspaper, which suggested that Barry was entirely responsible for the composition. The theme, as written by Norman and arranged by Barry....

James Bond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not the most reliable source, but i think it's clear by the credit to Monty Norman as Composer of the theme.

EDIT: Also, is that not the Bond Theme at the end of CR, as DC intros himself as "Bond, James Bond..." Then again in the closing credits ?

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 05 January 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#81 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

Not the most reliable source, but i think it's clear by the credit to Monty Norman as Composer of the theme.

Norman wrote the James Bond Theme. Barry wrote the 007 Theme. This is the 007 Theme, though the person who uploaded the video mis-credits it as "The Boat Chase".

#82 Ace Roberts

Ace Roberts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

Everyone wonders how hurt David Arnold feels if this pans out. But think back, imagine how John Barry must have felt when Cubby Brocolli told him that the stipulation for getting Paul McCartney to sing the theme song for Live and Let Die was that George Martin provided the score? I know there was more at play at the time, but that is what happened. For all we know, Arnold may be back for Bond 24 if Mendes doesn't direct it - just as Barry was back for TMWTGG.

#83 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

It's not exactly Bondian, but I really like listening to his Wall-E score.

Yep, his Wall-E score is fantastic and really displays his range as a composer. I'm not too worried about what he'll do for Bond...I suspect we'll all be quite impressed!

#84 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

Amen to that. Admittedly, the possiblity of Newman being (or getting) hired is rather high. I'm going to believe it when we have a confirmation.

Yes. I'm sure they got it from somewhere, and it's probably the most likeliest of rumours there could be so I'm pretty inclined to believe it, but confirmation would be nice.

#85 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

Norman wrote the James Bond Theme. Barry wrote the 007 Theme. This is the 007 Theme, though the person who uploaded the video mis-credits it as "The Boat Chase".

Sorry, my mistake. Couldn't agree more with the reinstatement of the 007 theme.

#86 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

For those of you unfamiliar with his gorgeous work... check out Whisper of a Thrill from Meet Joe Black. That'll give you an idea as to what to expect on the romance side of things. Breathtaking.

Indeed - quite superlative music.

Didn't realise this was Newman's work. Listening to it again killed as much as seeing the film did the first time.

Hoping this news is true.

#87 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

What I really wish for are some killer horns and high noted strings, not synth orchestration for this special anniversary treat.

There's nothing wrong electronics in itself. Barry weaved some very subtle synth sounds into his scores. Excluding the famous Moog Modular bass in OHMSS, I think there's a Moog Prodigy (or some similar late 70s synth) doing filter sweeps in the space cues of MOONRAKER, some low Synclavier pads in A VIEW TO A KILL, and the less subtle FM bass from Paul O'Duffy's Yamaha DX7 in THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS. Not forgetting the Arps used by Hamlisch and Conti in their respective scores.

#88 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

This is really interesting news. The Shawshank Redemption has one of my favorite scores ever. I also like his other stuff. I'm just curious how he'll do the action scenes because I've never heard him do that kind of music. Coming from Newman, I expect some beautiful music like John Barry's You Only Live Twice.

#89 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

His new Iron Lady score (which is all in youtube...or so I heard) is awesome and really show the man´s versatility. So far this has been one of the best news about SF...thinking about it, has there been any bad news so far? It´s all great!

#90 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

Haven't seen the film, but this one's growing on me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_jbhAO_Nr4

I like this, and all the other stuff of his that has been posted. Newman can generate the atmospheric things that Barry did so well, and that kind moody, echoing melancholy that fitted the quieter moments of Bond's personality.