1894 replies to this topic

#31 The ides of Mark

The ides of Mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

Well, I'm certainly not an Arnold-hater, but this is very exciting news! Who knows, Newman can be a new 'Bill Conti' with Arnold returning for the next movie?

Edited by The ides of Mark, 04 January 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#32 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

I think I will be good with this. I've never really listened to the scores isolated from the films he's done. But I agree, not a lot of Bond-esque material in the job history. Doesn't mean he's not qualified however. Someone that has wide recognition for achievement is fine in my book.

#33 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

Who knows, Newman can be a new 'Bill Conti' with Arnold returning for the next movie?

"David Arnold. You reappear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season."

#34 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

Sounds like someone who could do a fine job. Should suit the director as well as being a welcome change from the slightly tired sounding Arnold.

#35 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

Oooh. While not one to normally get revved up about composing assignments, I do find myself sitting up at this news.

I only really have American Beauty and the Horse Whisperer to consider as favourites, but I must say I am intrigued.

Wiki is already updated to reflect the above, so someone's on the ball...

#36 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:13 PM

Interesting stuff; I'm aware of him but not listened to much of his stuff; any recommendations?

I wonder if we'll see this news confirmed soon...?

It's more than just a rumor,

http://www.google.ca...0&bih=779&ion=1

Most, if not all, of those stories are quoting from the MI6 Web site. That being said, it would make sense given the number of times Newman has worked with Mendes.

#37 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:17 PM

I'm very happy with this if it's true, but until confirmed by another source or by EON themselves I'm taking it with a huge grain of salt. If true, though, I'm very pleased by the prospect of a new sound for Bond. It's long overdue, if this is true.

#38 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:18 PM

Can't argue with Newman's CV, but Arnold was getting better.

I thought QoS was his best - the South American influence on the Bond theme really paid off IMO.

His more sombre stuff, such as the last minute of QoS' 'Pursuit At Port Au Prince' is fantastic. As is the last 30 seconds of 'Time To Get Out' (just before the opening credits and 'Another Way To Die' kicks in.

My favourite piece of Bond music since the 60s, also from QoS, is 'The Dead Don't Care About Vengeance'

So, quite sad to lose Arnold when he's such good form.

#39 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

Very, very happy to hear this. Listening now to "War Room" from Iron Lady and an action piece from The Ajudstment Bureau . Wonderfull!

#40 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

I don't understand why some people are more exctied by the prospect of a new composer than they are by the prospect of a new film.

#41 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

I've never had a problem with David Arnold, but am intrigued to see how Thomas Newman tackles Bond. Let's hope he's respectful of the franchise he's inheriting and brings his best to the movie. Roll on November.

#42 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

I'm just looking forward to his Bond theme renditions! :D

#43 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

I feel bad for Arnold. As others have pointed out, he seemed to be hitting his stride with Quantum of Solace (I was really looking forward to hearing more of the "Inside Man" cue). Still, Newman is no doubt a talent, though the films on which he has worked with Mendes don't really indicate what he'll bring to Bond. Still, I was thinking about this yesterday so this is a wonderful surprise. Good luck to you sir, and to Mr. Arnold, I hope to see you back some time soon. Now....what about Danny Kleinman.....?

#44 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

He should be good. But Eon could have handled things better, re: Arnold.

#45 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

Yeah. By dumping him three films ago.

I don't understand why some people are more exctied by the prospect of a new composer than they are by the prospect of a new film.

I'm excited about the possibility of the 007 Theme being reinstated. That seems likelier with Arnold out of the picture.

But it's more than that. Every new Bond film, for as long as I've been a Bond fan, has been burdened with Arnold's fossilized "style". Since DAD, his scores have been nothing but a throwback, tying everything fresh and new and cool - every minute of it, every beat - to the brassy Brozza-schlock of the nineties. So if that stagnancy is finally to be rinsed out and replaced by something fresh, I applaud the decision. Even if you like rice pudding, surely you don't want it every night of your life.

Anyway, odds are good that Arnold will be back for the one after Skyfall, since Newman is clearly going to be a one-off.

#46 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

I suspect this could just be a one off unless Mendes returns again. I just hope he does a barnstorming job and this shakes things up a bit (to the point where EON realise that they can and should considering other composers). I don't think EON handled things badly really have they? I think most (myself included) half expected this anyway. Arnold will be overseeing the music at the Olympics and so probably couldn't give this the attention Mendes or EON would have liked. Newman is a frequent Mendes collaborator - so it was always a likely scenario.

Edited by Satorious, 04 January 2012 - 11:10 PM.

#47 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

The probelm with Arnold is that he danced far too often in John Barry's shadow. John Barry was brilliant, his scores are all incredible, the best part of the movies he did was typically his music. Arnold was a poor man's Barry.Theres a reason why Eric Serra's score has aged well and thats becasue he carved his own sound for Bond, Arnold is a little too safe, and sad to say, boring. I like CR's score, its good and he really developed. QOS is by far his best score, it stands up by itself and shows real independence while still being Bondian. But it took Arnold 5 films to really get it on the nose. I'll be glad if he dosen't return.

#48 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

I'm excited about the possibility of the 007 Theme being reinstated. That seems likelier with Arnold out of the picture.

I seem to recall reading somewhere - probably on this very forum - that the Barry estate controls the rights to the 007 Theme, and may not authorise its use.

#49 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

It is funny. I too have hugely criticized Arnold in the past. But since Craig took over I think it rejuvenated him. Plus in recent years have met and talked to Arnold and he is one hell of a nice guy with a passionate interest in all things Bond and Barry, and a lot of time for his fans. So I do feel a bit sad for him, missing the 50th year. Though who knows what with his commitment to the Olympics he might not be too bothered.
An interesting choice, if an obvious one on Sam Mendes part. As usual I shall await the score and it's suitability to the film in question before passing judgement.

Edited by MarkA, 04 January 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#50 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

Yup.. thumbs up! Very excited to hear what Newman comes up with! One thing's for sure... we'll get some really amazing string writing presenting extremely deep / hummable themes for sure.

CAN NOT WAIT.

Rich

#51 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

He should be good. But Eon could have handled things better, re: Arnold.

How so?

Anyway, this is good news.

#52 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

Thomas Newman is, apparently, writing the score for Skyfall, but I wonder who is writing the theme tune? The use of the word "score" only suggests, to me, that he isn't involved. It would be a pity if we had a fine soundtrack marred by a b****y awful theme tune.

I don't mind a change of composer provided a recognisible version of the Bond theme crops up from time to time - not all the time though - and the score is clearly inspired by past efforts. It shouldn't be a complete carbon copy, but the new man (!) will, I hope, be respectful to the kind of Bond soundtrack that has gone before. David Arnold has come in for an awful lot of stick in these forums, but I think he had the right attitude - he wanted to write a Bond score, and theme song, that sounded like it belonged in a Bond film. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he returns for Bond 24. The production team tend to be loyal to "loyal retainers".

#53 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

I don't mind a change of composer provided a recognisible version of the Bond theme crops up from time to time - not all the time though

Agreed.

For those of you unfamiliar with his gorgeous work... check out Whisper of a Thrill from Meet Joe Black. That'll give you an idea as to what to expect on the romance side of things. Breathtaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNbaRiZJJQo

#54 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

Hopefully this is true as it is time for change. I hope Newman doesn't screw it up. He has some pretty big shoes to fill now.

Legendary: John Barry
Master: George Martin, Bill Conti, David Arnold, Thomas Newman?
Average: Marvin Hamlisch
Bottom of the barrel: Norman, Kamen, Serra

#55 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

Thomas Newman is, apparently, writing the score for Skyfall, but I wonder who is writing the theme tune? The use of the word "score" only suggests, to me, that he isn't involved. It would be a pity if we had a fine soundtrack marred by a b****y awful theme tune.

Adele is widely believed to be putting together a demo tape for SKYFALL. If she is, then she will most likely collaborate with Paul Epworth, her regular songwriting partner - they did Rolling in the Deep together.

I have no objections to the score and the theme being written separately. If Newman is indeed scoring the film, then his involvement in the title theme does not guarantee that the theme will be good. All his presence will really allow for is the introduction of cues from the theme to be put into the wider score. But even then, if EON were to make up their minds about the title theme early (though they tend to leave it until late to avoid leaks), Newman could still work it into his score.

#56 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

Can anyone suggest a soundtrack that would give a sense of how he does action/suspense?

#57 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:58 AM

Haven't seen the film, but this one's growing on me:

#58 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:46 AM

This is a great clip of Mendes and Newman's work together, phenomenal scene.

And it's entirely inappropriate for Bond. If you want to sell the notion of Newman compoising the score, the least you could do is actually provide a sample that does both Newman and Bond justice.

#59 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:47 AM

Sounds like he would be good at an epic battle scene. A full scale attack with more than just Bond fighting.

#60 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

@Tightpants:

That's my only issue. Newman = amazing composer, no question. But is he right for Skyfall? Moreover, right for Bond? His typical work, while musically very impressive and cinematically very appropriate for the films to which it's attached, is almost the anti-thesis of what I'd expect from a Bond score.

Typical overthinking on a paranoid fan's part, I'm hoping.

Newman's a professional. He can adapt his style and, I'm sure, will. If Mendes is as much a fan of 007 and as devoted to delivering an experience of 'classic Bond' as he claims to be, he's certainly not going to approach Newman with the philosophy of "Hey, do something completely out of character for a Bond film and totally unlike what we've heard before." He'll want the music to reflect the attitude he's going for.

I didn't think Marc Forster was in any way an appropriate choice to direct a Bond film in 2007, either. As it turned out, he was more than capable (specific editing and [lack of script]-related criticisms aside).