1981 replies to this topic

#271 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

”We’re not going for something deep and meaningful,” the actor says. ”It’s not a great character study. It’s going to start the way Bond films always start, and it’s going to finish the way they always finish, and everything in between.”

From someone who´s been following the Bond filmmaking process for a long time, hearing that is just...odd, simply paradoxal. Not a character study? No layers? No exploring the dark character of the man. That´s just strange. Still...IT`S ABOUT TIME!!! It´s just a movie, like old Hitch used to say. Many folks around here should be glad to hear this. Now we can only hope that Bond has fun in a couple of scenes, oh and some gratuitous sex and violence. That´d be Bond with a capital B.

Yes, I find it utterly strange too. It goes hand-in-hand in terms of outright oddness with Harris saying that Eve was “Not Bond’s equal”.

Exactly. If Dan-the-man hadn´t already mentioned FRWL as a template (I know...I know..., not exactly as a template, but as a topic in early conversations with Mendes) I would say we were in a twiligth zone episode ;)

#272 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

Would love that - some creepy old whatsoever Lady.

Don't we already have one of those? I think her name is 'M' or 'N' or something like that.

#273 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:36 PM

Maggie Smith as May?

Just got back from the pub. I was talking about this and a friend (who knows his Bond) suggested the same thing.

Was thinking the same.

In the words of Rod Stewart, "Maggie ... May".

#274 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:30 AM

The mother of Gustav Graves, out for revenge.

Ha! Very good :)

#275 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

Would love that - some creepy old whatsoever Lady.

Don't we already have one of those? I think her name is 'M' or 'N' or something like that.

Well - she is not exactly creepy, just old. MS has that certain something that could go both directions - serious or real creepy.

#276 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

Might mean everything or nothing (in terms of gunbarell etc)
http://www.tempo.com...raig-gets-real/

Craig is currently in the middle of filming his third Bond film, ”Skyfall,” which he calls ”as Bond-like as possible.”

”We’re not going for something deep and meaningful,” the actor says. ”It’s not a great character study. It’s going to start the way Bond films always start, and it’s going to finish the way they always finish, and everything in between.”

So we've gone from reboot to retro in three films ;)
It seems they are going out of their way to roll back a little on the constant talk about how each movie is peeling back the layers and all that bla bla about [name your favourite post mid-80s Bond Girl] being Bond's equal, less action more drama etc. etc. etc.

Of course, it begs the question of why bothering to hire Mendes and his gang of luvvy thesps?

#277 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

Guess he's going to get the girl in the end. Wish they'd keep away from that for a little while longer but it's fine. I hope we get a big stunt to open the film. That reminds me...do we know of ANY concrete stunt sequences planned for the film?

Aside from total confusion as to whether the train/motorcycle jump think is still going to be shot somewhere, no we don't - and I love that.

And it doesn’t stop there. I'm another one who's been following the Bond filmmaking process for a long time and I’m finding the making of this one very different. It’s fascinating that we don’t even know most of the main character’s names, what a ‘Skyfall’ is or what this film is actually about…

It is very different. I was mentioning the other day that even for DAD, with its big twist we knew the names of Graves etc. early on (not that there was any reason to keep it quiet really).

Of course, with all this talk of classic Bond, the very brief 'synopsis' we've been given isn't very Bondian, with all it's focus on M and her past.

The locations also seem a bit up in the air - Scotland cancelled, some vague background chatter about Shanghai being cancelled/changed. Odd for a film that's had such a long lead time, led by a pair of proprietor producers. I'm one or two more confusions away from starting to believe the misdirectionists.

I'll go out on a limb and claim that there will be some big surprises in this one. I just hope it's nothing to do with Mr and Mrs Bond (sr).

#278 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

I know, we have an Ola Rapace thread, but does this count as spoiler? Put it where you want.

Quote:

Last night, Daniel Craig visited Stockholm for the gala premiere of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Before the film ended he was on a flight heading to New York... But he did comment about Ola Rapace, the Swedish actor in Skyfall.
"We do a lot of work together. We have two or three big scenes that we are both in. Ola is fun, energetic, stylish, and absolutely fantastic to work with.” About Ola’s part, Craig said: “He plays a... guy. I am not allowed to reveal any more details but it is a big part and he is involved from start to finish. He is a very good actor and it is wonderful to be with him.”

source: https://www.facebook...id=244050361339

credit: DTD

#279 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

...does this count as spoiler?

“He plays a... guy."

Things have become rather strange around here, sensible of you to put it here. ;)

#280 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

Damn. I was hoping he'd be playing the Bond girl.

#281 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

I was rather thinking about this part, but laugh, if you must. I can take it :angry:

but it is a big part and he is involved from start to finish.

#282 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

Of course, it begs the question of why bothering to hire Mendes and his gang of luvvy thesps?

Maybe Mendes wants a change from directing pretentious, middlebrow, Oscar bait?

Can't blame him.

#283 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

In the Ola Rapace thread you can find the full interview which was originally posted on a swedish website. Interestingly, this is the first time it is confirmed that Ola Rapace will play against 007 in Skyfall ( although nobody really doubted it).

#284 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:59 PM

Maybe Mendes wants a change from directing pretentious, middlebrow, Oscar bait?

Can't blame him.

In a roundabout sort of way (and sarcasm aside), I honestly think you have something there.

#285 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:58 AM

Here is a brief article that was published in the Sunday Mirror on December 11. I do not know the reputation of this newspaper, so I'll report the news as a mere rumour.
One uncredited source claims that the story line is set in Shanghai at the beginning of the movie . The scenes they filmed in the swimming pool at the Four Seasons Hotel show 007...

http://www.thefreeli....].-a0274629513

#286 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:12 AM

^ That would explain the bearded look as well.

I wonder if they'll actually explain away the years since QoS? Maybe Bond is fed up trying to locate Quantum, who have gone underground, and a fresh attack by somebody else brings him back into the game?

#287 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:26 AM

"Bond I need you back." - "I never left. BUT I AM NOW. BYE!"

#288 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:33 AM

"We're not a country club, 007!"

#289 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:34 AM

"Bond I need you back." - "I never left. BUT I AM NOW. BYE!"

Well, the "I never left now look at me really leaving" can be one way to look at that scene.

#290 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:38 AM

This could link with the brief synopsis – Bond’s loyalty to M (and the service) has been tested to breaking point, so he resigns. Then some new emergency makes him realize that he has to go back – an attack on London (and MI6 HQ) perhaps, that he knows he could have stopped had he still been 007.

#291 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:43 AM

This could link with the brief synopsis – Bond’s loyalty to M (and the service) has been tested to breaking point, so he resigns.

Or maybe he has been on a long-term assignment, and gets recalled to the Double-Oh Section in the face of a crisis - only to discover that he was reassigned by someone trying to keep "Skyfall" a secret.

#292 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:50 AM

This could link with the brief synopsis – Bond’s loyalty to M (and the service) has been tested to breaking point, so he resigns.

Or maybe he has been on a long-term assignment, and gets recalled to the Double-Oh Section in the face of a crisis - only to discover that he was reassigned by someone trying to keep "Skyfall" a secret.

Ummm… Yes. I think the long-term assignment, deep-cover idea has got possibilities here.

#293 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:57 AM

Ummm… Yes. I think the long-term assignment, deep-cover idea has got possibilities here.

That might explain the beard.

#294 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:16 AM

That might explain the beard.

Yep, it’s as good a reason as any I’ve seen.

#295 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:19 AM

I think the long-term assignment, deep-cover idea has got possibilities here.

Although SKYFALL is apparently independent of the novels, I could see this as a good time to adapt "007 in New York". Bond is sent to Shangahi to warn an agent (Eve?) that the Chinese are aware of her role as an agent, and are intending to use her. While thwarting an assassination attempt in the hotel, Bond hears of "Skyfall", and races back to England, but is too late to stop an attack on the city. M assigns Bond to investigate the connection, but as Bond realises that M is complicit in in the Skyfall business, he begins to suspect that she has been grooming him to be her personal bloodhound, and that she intends to use him to cover things up.

Maybe. I just really like the idea of something small and innocent - like "007 in New York" - exploding out to something of massive proportions.

#296 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

Do you remember the clapperboard titled "Dry Martini"? Very probably that scene is really set in Shanghai...
Look here: Orion Lee ,Shanghai bartender
http://www.castingca....php?uid=226484

#297 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

Shouldn't he be in a log cabin chopping wood in the forest when the call comes to do one last job?

#298 Marketto007

Marketto007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2487 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

Do you remember the clapperboard titled "Dry Martini"? Very probably that scene is really set in Shanghai...

Also in this site:

Posted Image

xxx

#299 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

I saw something suggesting there is a Martini bar at that pool in Shanghai so that seems to work out!

#300 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:13 PM

I think the long-term assignment, deep-cover idea has got possibilities here.

Deep undercover could work as an interesting PTS: We get to see Bond doing something out of character (maybe handing some secret over to the Chinese or something like that), before we know he's under cover. Obviously the audience wouldn't really believe Bond's gone red, but it would shake expectations up.