119 replies to this topic

#91 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

Here we go with Bowl Predictions! I will not be covering every Bowl Game, just the ones I have interest in. I will give a full detail for the BCS Games.

New Orleans Bowl
UL-Lafayette 31 San Diego St 29

Poinsettia Bowl
TCU 35 Louisiana Tech 21

Hawaii Bowl
Nevada 35 Southern Miss 31

Independence Bowl
Missouri 38 North Carolina 35 OT

Champs Bowl
Florida St 28 Notre Dame 17

Alamo Bowl
Baylor 40 Washington 20

Music City Bowl
Wake Forest 28 Miss St 19

Liberty Bowl
Vanderbilt 30 Cincinnati 21

Chik-Fil-A Bowl
Auburn 31 Virginia 10

Outback Bowl
Georgia 35 Michigan St 17

Urban Meyer Bowl I mean Gator Bowl
Florida 28 Ohio St 21

Capital One Bowl
South Carolina 24 Nebraska 20

Cotton Bowl
Arkansas 42 Kansas St 21

BCS Bowls

Rose Bowl-Oregon vs Wisconsin. Congrats to the Pac 12 and Big 10 in their debut season as super conferences! Now the nitty gritty, Oregon is a very talented and fast football team. Their big problem is teams having time to prepare-they just can't win, and get pounded (LSU, Boise St, Ohio St come to mind). Guess what? Wisconsin is just like those schools were/are when they played Oregon-a physical dominant O-line and smash mouth rushing attacks. Wisconsin's defense should have time and remember they lost the Rose last year and have a chip on their shoulder.

Wisconsin 35 Oregon 24

Fiesta Bowl-Stanford vs Oklahoma St. This might be the best of the bunch. No, is the best. 2 high powered offenses duke it out. Over the course of the season, Okie St's defense is playing better, while Stanford gave up oodles of points. This is a heckuva QB duel with Brandon Weeden running the Cowboys Offense vs Stanford's Andrew Luck. This one is popular for OT, so yeah it's gonna happen here.

Oklahoma St 56 Stanford 55 3 OT

Orange Bowl-West Virginia vs Clemson. Ok, this is a yawner. Clemson won the ACC and there were a couple teams like TCU and Boise St that should have gotten in over the Big Eas(y)t Champ West Virginia. I don't think the BE brass wanted outgoing West Virginia to represent them in the BCS but that's how it worked out. Halftime show should be interesting.

Clemson 47 West Virginia 28

Sugar Bowl-Michigan vs Virginia Tech. Again, the Hokies shouldn't be here, IMO Oklahoma should have been, the Big XII was better than the ACC but that's how the system went this year. Still, this should be a damn good game. Again 2 great QB's-Denard Robinson for Michigan, and Logan Thomas for Virginia Tech. Va Tech HC Frank Beamer hasn't had a good record in this game lately, but his team has an edge, at least in the defense. Michigan has seen this type of offense, but the defense will bother them a bit. The Wolverines will do the same to the Hokies.

Michigan 32 Virginia Tech 28

BCS National Championship Game
LSU vs Alabama

Okay, here we go. This is a rematch and basically the championship game of the SEC Western Division which also happens to have the National Championship on the line. Now that little caveat is out of the way, here are some facts to consider-LSU has only won a rematch once in its history-against Georgia in 2003 (Won regular season match up 17-10 and SEC Championship Game 34-13), Nick Saban has never lost to the same team twice in a season, and has a losing record overall coaching against LSU (0-1 at Michigan St, 2-3 while at Bama). Les Miles has a great Bowl Record at LSU (5-1), and LSU has an advantage as this is going to be a defacto home game for LSU since New Orleans is about 70 miles from LSU's campus in Baton Rouge. Alabama outplayed LSU but couldn't cash in on their big plays, while LSU played steady and won the game. Field Goals shouldn't be affected since this is indoors. But Saban has 6 weeks to get ready on how to stop LSU's read option, and you can bet he has it figured out. To all the SEC detractors one team will lose in the BCS Title Game, and one will win yet again. But I can't go with my heart in this one, I have to go with my head.

Alabama 19 LSU 6

#92 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

You would think if I were looking forward to any game featuring a team from Louisiana (I am) it would be the BCS title game but i'm actually looking forward to the New Orleans Bowl featuring UL-Lafayette vs. San Diego St more. hcmv007, you're the only one other then myself that i've seen pick UL-Lafayette. I took part in the ESPN College GameDay bowl pool so I might as well make my picks known. Minus scores.

1. LSU over Alabama
2. Oregon over Wisconsin
3. Oklahoma State over Stanford
4. Michigan over Virginia Tech
5. Clemson over West Virginia
6. Temple over Wyoming
7. Ohio over Utah State
8. UL-Lafayette over San Diego St.
9. FIU over Marshall
10. TCU over Louisiana Tech
11. Boise State over Arizona State
12. Southern Miss over Nevada
13. Missouri over North Carolina
14. Purdue over Western Michigan
15. NC State over Louisville
16. Toledo over Air Force
17. Texas over California
18. Notre Dame over Florida State
19. Baylor over Washington
20. Tulsa over BYU
21. Rutgers over Iowa State
22. Mississippi State over Wake Forest
23. Oklahoma over Iowa
24. Texas A&M over Northwestern
25. Georgia Tech over Utah
26. Illinois over UCLA
27. Cincinnati over Vanderbilt
28. Virginia over Auburn
29. Houston over Penn State
30. Florida over Ohio State
31. South Carolina over Nebraska
32. Michigan State over Georgia
33. Arkansas over Kansas State
34. SMU over Pittsburgh
35. Arkansas State over Northern Illinois

#93 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

Thanks for posting your picks Cruiserweight!!!!

Them Ragin Cajuns can party. Plus this is the 1st Bowl game in 40 yrs for them so they are fired up-and playing a home game at that-helluva lot more ULL than Aztec fans there, and they are a good home team.

No surprise-LaMichael James to forgo Senior yr for the NFL Draft, so the Rose Bowl is his last hurrah

#94 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

Excuse me? SDSU's fan base is huge-helluva lot bigger than ULL's-and they will take this.

#95 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:57 AM

Maybe but ULL's is closer. And since this is their 1st bowl game in 40 years they will be out in full force. But as an LSU fan they have more obnoxious fans than we do-per capita. While I like how Rocky Long has run SDSU, I think the home team has a lot going on & wins. But it will be a helluva game.

#96 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:53 AM

I have to agree with hcmv007 on the New Orleans Bowl. Forget the fact that i'm a fan of most teams based in Louisiana I still say that the Ragin' Cajuns take this one. The fact that it's basically a home game will help them out and after 40 years they're hungry to bring home a bowl win.

Other then that, go Razorbacks and go Rockets(Toledo)!

#97 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

I shoul've gone to Vegas for my score prediction on New Orleans Bowl.

Predicted: UL-Lafayette 31 San Diego St 29

Actual: UL-Lafayette 32 San Diego St 30

Both teams played a great game. Aztecs showed a lot of heart coming back & taking lead. Aztecs will be a force in the Big East elizabeth, wouldn't surprise me if they are in a race for the BCS next year.

#98 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:20 PM

It looks like Norm Chow, a long time assistant coach in College and the NFL will be getting the HC job at Hawaii. I like the hire but the I am worried why its taken this long for him to become a head coach.

Southern Miss makes a great hire in Ellis Johnson; while Todd Graham left Pitt in a lurch by taking the Arizona St job. Pitt is looking at Mario Cristobal who IMO Miami should have hired. Penn St had their QB and a WR get in a fight-which leaves him doubtful for the Bowl game. IMO Penn St should hire Harvard HC Tim Murphy. He was the HC at Cincinnati and had a winning record before his mother got ill and he took the Harvard job to be near her. She passed away, and Murphy stayed there and has won a handful of Ivy League titles this decade. Over the last 5 years either Harvard or Penn has won the League, so this guy is a winner and more importantly he is an outsider as hopefully the Nittany Lions can get over the mess they are in off the field.

#99 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:03 PM

I've gone 3-1 in my bowl picks so far with my only loss being last night's game.

#100 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:13 PM

While I am not much on recruiting-I only pay attention to it on National Signing Day (Feb 1st this year); LSU has landed one of the top recruits in the country. Gunner Kiel, who committed to Indiana earlier is going to be coming to Baton Rouge-and I have to say this is huge. The good news is he will enroll in time for the Spring Semester and be eligible to participate in Spring Practice. A local recruit, Landon Collins, is also a top recruit and will be choosing between LSU and Alabama, and hopefully he joins Kiel in committing to the Tigers.

Penn St looks like it will not have a coach in place by January 3rd as originally planned. Their top choice was allegedly Mike Munchak, the head coach of the Tennessee Titans of the NFL; Chuck Clements the QB coach of the Packers was allegedly 2nd in the running according to a story put out a few days ago. IMO they should go with Harvard HC Tim Murphy who I believe could restore some pride and give this program a good name again.

Also the SEC has released their 2012 schedule, which will now feature 6 division games and 2 non division games with 1 of those a permanent opponent. The permanent opponent is b/c Alabama must play Tennessee every year, as do Georgia and Auburn. Now the SEC presidents want Missouri in the East and Texas A&M in the West, but this does not really work out well. IMO here is how the SEC should look:

SEC East

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
Kentucky

SEC West

Arkansas
Missouri
Ole Miss
Miss St
LSU
Texas A&M
Vanderbilt

In this case, Vandy goes to the West b/c it is in a more geographical fit than Kentucky. Missouri and Texas A&M would be a great fit geographically and also give the SEC West a good basketball division as well. The way its set up now the SEC East is a basketball beast. In my format, Alabama-Tennessee & Georgia-Auburn would still be able to play every year. Of course since this is logical, the assclown SEC presidents will not go for this.

In a move I really like, get ready for more Pac 12/Big 10 regular season games in all sports in the near future. I think this is a great thing, but I hope the Big 10 does not go to a 9 game conference schedule while playing the Pac 12 teams. IMO they should stay at 8-you don't get beat up as much. Now that Urban Meyer is in Ohio St, maybe he can use his influence to sell the 8 game schedule to the coaches, otherwise the Big 10 will be beat to hell come bowl season. But I applaud both conferences for the move as this is a great idea and hopefully other conferences follow suit-I am looking at you Big XII and ACC/SEC.

Now onto how I will save the Big East. Notre Dame-guess what we are going to put you on the spot. You are in our conference in all sports except football-so join us for football. With NBC behind you, we can get our own network, similar to what CBS has with the SEC, and we can showcase our other teams on NBC as well, maybe schedule a double header or two. While we may not be as tough as we have been with Pitt, Syracuse and West Virginia leaving and TCU boltiing to the Big XII before playing a single game, you have a great shot at making a BCS Bowl every year, plus having Brian Kelly lead the Irish to play Cincinnati will be ratings gold. So please Notre Dame-join the Big East in football. You are our only hope. There you go Big East presidents-make it happen!

#101 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

I've been doing rather well in my picks as I currently stand 24-5 overall and even going 6-0 in bowl picks yesterday.

#102 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:49 AM

Breaking news!!!!!!

West Virginia just scored another TD!

Oh & Penn St has a new HC-Patriots OC Bill O'Brien will take the reigns.

Landon Collins chose Bama-but his Mom chose LSU. Do I like the hat games during these high school all star games? No-I wish him well though.

#103 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

Gameday! Its finally here; crazy mad down in NOLA as both fan bases are here.

Lots of playful smack talk going on here in BR as I await the game!

#104 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:50 AM

Congrats to Alabama. I hate that we lost but ya'll were the better team tonight.

#105 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:52 AM

It's not over yet. As poorly as both teams are playing, it could still happen for LSU. They need to consider benching their QB, though, as I see that being their only chance.

#106 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:42 AM

Jarrett Lee wouldn't have done any better if he came in. LSU IMO showed no effort offensively. Not to take anything from Bama-who played very well; we couldnt match their intensity or desire to win. Thank God Jordan Jefferson is gone.

#107 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

Jarrett Lee wouldn't have done any better if he came in.

Maybe not, but they should have at least tried. When you go into the 4th quarter with less than 100 yards of total offense, something needs to be done to spark the offense.

#108 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

True. We always theorized down here Jordan Jefferson had some info on the coaches, which was why he would keep playing no matter how terrible he played. For him, I hear Shady's is hiring bouncers.

(The bar in BR where he allegedly got into a fight & suspended)

#109 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:11 AM

More fallout for LSU-it appears Gunner Kiel has decommitted & will enroll at Notre Dame.

Cant say I blame him.

#110 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

By now most of you have heard that former Penn St Head Coach Joe Paterno is in serious condition, my thoughts and prayers go out to them. Reports are unconfirmed but he wanted to see his friends and family 'One last time'.

Now onto the Title Game-Congrats to Alabama-however we are one thing you aren't and that is SEC Champions. The fallout for Les Miles has been bad, he has lost some fan support, and his top recruit spurned him b/c his mother didn't want him to go to Louisiana. I thought it was due to the Title Game, but no. Recruiting for LSU is down this year, and big time. I doubt we will ever be back in the Title hunt, but winning the SEC in a year or 2 isnt out of the question. But as long as Nick Saban is at Bama, LSU will be down, and it looks like he isnt going anywhere for a while.

Coming soon I will give my take on the new college coaches that have been hired, as well as a take on what the BCS needs to do to change the bowl format.

#111 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

Multiple News Outlets have reported that former Penn St Head Coach Joe Paterno has passed away due to complications from lung cancer and a fall that broke several bones.

#112 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

RIP Joe. :(

#113 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:36 PM

Funeral services for Coach Paterno held today, the one for the public will be tomorrow.

It looks like Landon Collins may be soft on his commitment to Bama, but we will find out for sure in a week as National Signing Day is next Wed. I never claimed to be a recruiting expert as its an inexact science, but I think this process needs to be reformed. We have early signing for basketball and baseball, we need one for football as well.

#114 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:26 AM

Well recruiting season is over, Bama had the top class & Les Miles made news for taking a shot at Gunner Kiel who went to Notre Dame at the last minute (literally). Now I agree-IF Kiel went to ND to make his Mom feel better than I do have to doubt his toughness-but to those who think Miles went too far here's a thought. Gunner Kiel will be the QB at ND, which is high profile-and a tough place to play. If he cant take a verbal jab then he proves Miles right, and if he cant take criticism then he isnt as good as everyone said he is. Now Kiel did screw LSU-they lost an early enrollee to Auburn b/c Kiel committed to LSU-and that is what pissed Miles off, and IMO with good reason. He did cost LSU a good player & then pulled a last second switch. I will argue why they need an early signing period in football (they do in other college sports) later, but this is the system & it is what it is. But while people rail on Miles for his criticisms, and they are valid, and may not be the smart thing to say in public, I believe he's right. If Kiel wants to show him up-he can do it by playing well.

#115 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

Well Spring Football is in full swing in some areas, LSU started last week, and some players have been able to come down from the debacle, notably Russell Shepard who famously tweeted his frustration after the game. The Zach Mettenberger era begins at LSU at the QB position, with Stevan Rivers at least for now emerging as the number 2 man (Phillip Rivers younger brother FYI). I will guess Jeremy Liggins will be the number 2 guy, but he has some weight concerns (listed as 6'4 275 pounds) although his HS coach said his weight never affected his play.

Now its on to the new HC's in the game. I won't go through all of them but will highlight the ones that interest me (this will be broken down into different parts 1 of 2):

Ohio State-Urban Meyer

A great hire, and the home run out of the ballpark hit they needed after Tressell left the program. He will recruit well, and has, but don't expect a Big 10 Title in 2012. This spread option takes time, and it will take a year to tinker with it. My Grade-A Plus

Texas A&M-Kevin Sumlin

I think a good hire-here's the but-but I think the Aggies won't have patience to wait to win. Sumlin has a lot to find, if Ryan Tanneyhill was coming back he could have an 8 or 9 win season. I think it will take some time, but he will bring a more wide open offense to the SEC similar to Hal Mumme in his days at Kentucky but like I said, he needs time. My Grade-A

Penn State-Bill O'Brien

I won't get into the mess here, but this is a situation traditionally you don't want to be in. You don't want to be hired after the Legend, but hired after they fired the man to replace the Legend. O'Brien's NFL background will be a recruiting aid, it has already helped the Nittany Lions. But he doesn't have prior experience as an HC so I have to worry here. My Grade-B

Ole Miss-Hugh Freeze

The only team in the SEC West who hasn't been to Atlanta made a good hire. Even if I can't stand this team, I have to admit they might have someone who can recruit. Freeze did a good job at Arkansas St, and that is a big accomplishment. But can he compete against Bama, LSU and Arkansas? Not yet. However if he gets Ole Miss to win 8 or 9 a year expect him to get a bigger job. My Grade-B Plus

Arkansas St-Gus Malzahn

Home run hire. Malzahn made his name as a top HS coach in Arkansas which lead to his hire as Arkansas' OC under Houston Nutt, but they had a falling out. Malzahn worked magic at Auburn, and now heads home. This is a resume builder for him-he wants the Arkansas job whenever it opens. But his knowledge of the talent in that state will help. My Grade-A Plus

Colorado St-Jim McElwain

Huh? Don't take this as a knock but I thought he'd take the Fresno St job. McElwain though will bring a simple attack to the Rams, but will it translate without a great defense which was why he was so good at Bama? My Grade-B minus

#116 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

Post deleted by me.

Will wrap up coaches hires & give out post season awards.

#117 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

Wrapping up coaching hire grades:

Tulane-Curts Johnson

Tulane a few years ago thought about shelving football and the athletic department too. Now, they are building a new stadium, and made a great hire. Curtis Johnson coached the Saints WR's and knows the NO area well, as well as the entire state of LA. HE can get the players to come, and remeber Tulane was where Mack Brown got his start, and this is a job where you jump up. My Grade-A Plus

Arizona State-Todd Graham

So you fire Dennis Ericson and hire a guy who coached at Tulsa and Pitt the last 2 years. I have to admit Graham is a good coach, he took Rice to a bowl game after all, but this makes no sense. He has no Pac 12 ties, and is not really a big name in coaching circles. A head scratcher of a hire. My Grade-F

Pitt-Paul Chryst

IMO-Paul Chryst should thank Russell Wilson for this job. He made the Wisconsin offense look good, and helped Chryst get hired here. That being said, I like the hire, but for Pitt this is now the 4th HC they have had in the last 2 years (Wannstedt, Haywood-fired less than a month on job, Graham and now Chryst). Strange things are afoot at Pitt. My Grade-C

Hawaii-Norm Chow

The offensive guru who made a name as an OC at BYU, Fresno St, NC St, USC and the Tennessee Titans in the NFL gets his 1st gig. I like the hire, I really do and its a long time coming for him. My Grade-A Plus

New Mexico-Bob Davie

You needed a name after the Mike Lockley travesty. You got it here, and i know some who will be glad Davie isn't doing color commentary on ESPN anymore. That being said you can't win here. Rocky Long did a heckuva job here, but he was 63-68 overall. If they pour sone $ into facilities they might get more notice, but that's not saying much. My Grade-B

Kansas-Charlie Weiss

Turner Gill was a bad choice, and brought this program down. Big time. 5 yrs ago, the Jayhawks were in a BCS Bowl Game. Now? Toilet Bowl. But I think Weiss can change that, as this is an ambitious hire for a Basketball school. He needs a yr, but look out in 2013 for the Jayhaws. My Grade-A Plus

Arizona-Rich Rodriguez

WHat can I say-great hire! Rich Rod inherits a West Virginia type school-as far as facilities and pressure is involved. Still, he needs to beat the Sun Devils and USC, which is tough to do. Still, he should get butts in the seats. My Grade-A

Washington St-Mike Leach

A very good offensive football team gets the best offensive coach out there. The Air Raid will work in the Pac 12, but the Cougars need to have some defense, but sometimes the best defense is a good offense. My Grade-A Plus

#118 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

And now, for my 1st annual hcmv007 Award Presentations:

Coach of the Year: Nick Saban, Alabama

Personal feelings aside, the man coached a team that didn't win its own conference to the BCS Championship Game-and won it. Saban put together a top recruiting class once again and is now enjoying his longest stay as an HC, as he enters year 6 in Tuscaloosa.

Player of the Year: Robert Griffin III, Baylor

I told you about this guy last year, and the year before. No one believed me, not even friends. Now look at him, a future NFL franchise QB and he graduated from Baylor in only 3 years, so this guy is definitely smart and hard working. Mnay DC's in the Big XII are glad he's gone.

Team of the Year: Oklahoma St Cowboys

They won their 1st Conference title since the 1940's and made it to their 1st BCS Bowl and had a legitimate claim to be in the BCS Title Game where LSU would have blasted them to the 1940's. But this program has made some strides, and that isn't something to mock. T. Boone Pickens has put a lot of $ into this program for facilities and donations and its paying off. The Cowboys and HC Mike Gundy are gonna be here awhile.

Conference of the Year: SEC

6 straight national titles, The new standard (for now) in college football. Now adding Texas A&M and Missouri, this is definitely THE conference to be. How do you spell domination? SEC. Many have played them, few have beaten them lately. Gripe about the Non conference schedule all you want, but if you have to play Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Arkansas and Georgia every year do you really want to get knocked around before you play these teams?

Double Award Winner: Best New Head Coach & Phoenix Award-Brady Hoke. Michigan; Michigan

No doubt-Brady Hoke was the best new hire last year. All he did was get Michigan into the BCS and the Sugar Bowl. Michigan also is the Phoenix, a program that rose out of the ashes to return to glory. The Wolveriines are back.

Game of the Year: Michigan vs Notre Dame

The first ever night game in the Big House and the Michigan fans acted like it was old school (the uniforms for this game were too, natch!). Definitely the best final 2 minutes of a game I have seen since BC-Miami in 1984. Hail to the Victors! What a great game!

The Mule Award-Les Miles, LSU

I called this the Jack [censored] award but mule sounds better. How stubborn can you be by stickiing with Jordan Jefferson over Jarrett Lee when Lee was the one who got you there? I told friends we'd get blasted by Bama b/c the offense got stale and was proven right. I never understood this fascination with JJ, but now it is gone and Praise God for that! Hopefully Les doesn't get this award again next year.

#119 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Now onto what to look for in 2012:

-Temple in the Big East. It's happened and now the Owls get the chance for a BCS bid. Not long ago it looked like they were dead, but IMO they need to get Notre Dame in, and add NBC as their home network.

-Mo Isom, the former LSU goalie tried out as a kicker and didn't make this round but will get another shot in August. I hope she makes it, as it would be great publicity for us, and yeah I think she's hot. But she is a great athlete, and will do good no matter what she does next in her life.

-The Big XII gets West Virginia and TCU, not bad since most thought this league (me included) was DOA.

-The top player to watch in 2012 is LSU QB Zach Mettenberger. If LSU had better QB play this year we would have won the title. Still, it has been 5 years since Matt Flynn left, and the last time we had a good QB it was him leading LSU to a national title. With an easier schedule (No Oregon or West Virginia on schedule this yr, Bama at home) LSU should be in the title hunt early. If the "Zach Attack" can go on without a hitch, LSU could be in Miami.

COMING SOON-THE 2012 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON PREVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be starting a new college football topic, and will even discuss some FCS football as well! Once Spring Practice ends the new stuff will begin, keep a lookout for it!

#120 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

Arkansas fires HC Bobby Petrino after it was revealed he & a former volleyball player who he hired as a recruiting specıalıst were in a motorcycle accident. He's 51 & she's 25. I hope she was worth it, Bobby.