119 replies to this topic

#1 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

Well its time to start up talk for the 2011-12 College Football season, and once again we have have realignments and a big time program in the NCAA's crosshairs. The WAC is losing Boise St, Nevada and Hawaii to The Mountain West who loses BYU and TCU (Who will join the Big East in 2012). Texas and Oklahoma's network deal will one day kill the Big XII (who has 10 teams) and the Pac 12 and the Big 10 (who has 12 teams) join the SEC & ACC as superconferences in the BCS. The Big East is also offering Villanova a chance to upgrade to BCS status after winning the FCS title a few years ago. 12 weeks from today, LSU kicks off against Oregon-I like to call this the Willie Lyles Bowl, and I hope to have a computer to do in depth reviews but I may have to settle for quickie reviews.

In other news the Presidents of the SEC schools have handcuffed their own schools by forcing member schools to only sign 25 recruits-no more greyshirting, which is idiotic since no other conference is taking similar action. I hate the success guilt they are going through. Another big topic is paying collegiate players, which is another controversy since the head of the Big 10 offered a "Full Scholarship Value" to players. Of course, the Wountain West, C-USA and the MAC plus the Sun Belt wont like it but that's the way it could be. My opinion-let players take cash from boosters. If they are all doing it anyway make it legal and on the up and up. Of course if any booster wants to give me money they are free to do so.

BYU is going Independent-bad move as the other sports go down to the West Coast Conference, which isnt a powerhouse. Is BYU on the fan support level of Notre Dame? No, but the arrogance is on par (I beleive Notre Dame should join Big East-built in network with NBC and could help that conference keep things up and get more money). I doubt it will work, but wish them the best.

Reviews to come soon, starting with the Sun Belt and then the WAC.

#2 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:29 PM

Bowl schedule released-for the 1st time since 1989 no games will be played on Jan 1st as the NFL (hopefully) is scheduled to play the final games of the regular season. Reviews coming soon!

#3 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

Good news-bought a new laptop after mine was stolen. Bad news-Reviews start next week. So I decided to do a bucket list for College Football-IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER-I don't want to offend anyone but this is what I want to see in person before I die-I am excluding LSU Games on Saturday Nights

1. Attend a Harvard-Yale game seeing one at Harvard and one at Yale. A great rivalry, and even though it is Ivy League and you think big bucks education they do play good football there.

2. See the i get dotted at Ohio St. I had a chance to go when I was 10 to the LSU-Ohio St game way back in the day, but would have missed school. Oh well, but it would be neat to see.

3. Attend a Florida St home game-that pregame is awesome!

4. Like #3, attend a Michigan home game. My high school used that fight song, so I have a place in my heart for Michigan. I would fight my fear of claustrophobia to attend.

5. Attend a Conference Championship Game-excluding the SEC, I would love to see a Big 10 or Pac 12 Title game.

6. Attend a I-AA, Div II or Div III Playoff Game-everyone bitches and moans about a lack of a playoff system for major college football (I disagree, IMO every major college game IS a playoff game) but you see a smaller school play for everything and leave it all out on the field. Plus easier parking and possibly a beer sold in stadium!

7. See a Florida-Georgia game. I tried to not go SEC on this list, but I would love to go to the World's Largest Cocktail Party. And pull for Georgia b/c we don't like Florida in BR. Or Bama. Or Auburn. Or Ole Miss. GO TO HELL OLE MISS!!

8. Attend a College Pep Rally that isn't your home college.

9. Drink w/ an opposing fan-I have done this, and with a Bama fan. Not a fan of their team but they have great fans-I have always been treated right by them and will always repay that to them.

10. Attend an Army-Navy Game. If you ever played football and see the Seniors sing their fight song, you realize this might be the last game they ever play in, you should get a little teary-eyed remembering your last game. America wins this game every time. I don't wanna forget Air Force either. But for College Football it is good to see the Service Academies are winning-Army doing better now too.

#4 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

Conference Previews start today! Doing something different but I hope you get a cheap laugh or 2, but do place your bets!

2011 Sun Belt Conference Preview

Good news-next year this won't be the first review as the WAC will enlist some high school teams to come into their conference (more on that later). But for now, the Sun Belt is the weakest Conference in the FBS so that's how it is. Most of these schools are your rent-a-wins but with their price going up you are seeing more FCS schools on FBS schedules. Read on!

1. Florida International-Yep this team was winless a few years ago but HC Mario Cristobal has this program on the track to win their 1st title. With 12 starters returning on a team that won 7 games a year ago, this is the Year of the Golden Panthers in the Sun Belt. A plus-Non Conference Games are Louisville, Duke, UCF and Akron. Final 2 conference games are on road and a challenge-Mid Tennessee and UL Monroe, but since their NC schedule won't whup em this is my choice as Sun Belt Champions in 2011.

2. UL-Monroe-The Warhawks were soo close to a winning season last year, but will fall short of a crown due to the butt whuppins coming their way courtesy of Florida St, TCU and Iowa. Grambling High should be a win though. The Conference home slate is winnable but being destoyed early on you have to wonder why this program can't do better-I so want to make a whore comment but with 3 huge paydays coming in, and being a school in my home state I withold that-for now.

3. Troy Trojans-A perennial contender, Troy will take a step back this year-only 3 starters are back on offense. But HC Larry Blakeney has been here 20 years-that's a damn long time. And he's done good before with an inexperienced team. Now I know some pervs think I could use Trojans in the propylactic sense but I wont-for now. Clemson and Arkansas could be upset victims early on, and UAB is a win, only Navy could really hurt them later on. But while this could be the team in New Orleans in December, I don't see that now.

4. Middle Tennessee-The Blue Raiders were the Blue Meanies-to their fans for going 6-7 last year. That and commiting turnovers by the dozen-per game to soome fans. There is only 3 starters back on defense, 7 on offense, so pray you outscore everyone. But you won't against Purdue, GA Tech, or Tennessee. A lack of experience could mean being home for the holidays. Or celebrating a bit too early.

5. UL-Lafayette-The Ragin Cajuns turn to Mark Hudspeth to reboot this potential sleepiing giant. No joke, the Acadiana area of Louisiana has some good talent that LSU and the Texas schools can't always accept. On the NC slate, only Oklahoma State and Arizona at the end of the year are losses, but the conference road slate dooms them. Still, a HC that won at Div II power North Alabama and has SEC recruiting contacts could put this school on the rise.

6. Arkansas St-The Red Wolves could be in New Orleans as well, but I don't think they are consistent enough to do so. Only 11 starters return on a team that went 4-8. Enter new HV Hugh Freeze who was the OC last year. Once they solve the problems on defense they might be good enough. But lack of experience hurts this team.

7. North Texas-The Mean Green might be better, but after hiring Todd Dodge and firing him, its hard to believe that this team won the first couple of Sun Belt titles back in the early 2000's. New HC Dan McCarney didn't do bad at Iowa St, but this is not as hopeless a job. Or it could be. Houston, Bama and Indiana come in a 3 week blast. Well, at least they'll get paid. Dirty whores. There-I made it! Don't expect a turn around this year.

8. Western Kentucky-The Hilltoppers are making a slow comeback but making some progress. HC Willie Taggart is makiing inroads in recruiting and has a team with 15 starters (the most to UL Monroes 14 returning starters) coming back, but lack of depth could do them in. Kentucky, Navy and LSU are 3 definite losses, but Indiana State is a sure win, plus a favorable home schedule in Sun Belt play could give a win or 2 this season. Hilltoppers-too obvious a dirty name, but I would love to play with hills all day long. Did I type that?

9. Florida Atlantic-HC Howard Schnellenberger should not retire this way. He built Miami, FL into a power, and Louisville, but here? Its bad. Only 7 starters back on offense, 3 on a new 3-4 scheme to battle the evil spread offense and the Owls lack of depth could prove harmful in 2011. But heck, get some Hooters girls, wings and beer and enjoy the show. At Hooters at game day.

#5 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

2011 WAC Preview

Well in 2012 the WAC will be accepting a couple of high school teams in Texas St and UT-San Antonio which has not yet played a game. How desperate are you wehn you raid the Southalnd Conference is the FCS? Well as desperate as...you get the picture. But this is also a Boise St less Conference so it should be wide open this year, as everyone will have a shot to win, so in the last year of fun-on to the WACky world of the WAC!

1. Nevada Wolfpack-HC Chris Ault has made a living on the Pistol offense, and almost everyone has this as a package in their offense. But findiing a new QB could be a challenge-Oregon is the 1st game of the year, and a rematch with Boise St-the best game of last year-is on slate for Oct 1 on the Smurf turf. The Conference games favor the home side, as the toughies come into Reno.

2. Louisiana Tech-HC Sonny Dykes and the Air Raid offense put up good numbers a year ago and despite returning 8 starters, 4 on each side, they have some weapons. Only Miss St is a problem non conference, as is Houston but Oct 1 is Hawaii at home in Ruston. Love those Ruston peaches, and not the ones on trees. Ahem, anywho, expect a big year from the Bulldogs.

3. San Jose St-The Spartans have a new HC in Mike MacIntyre who hopes to restore the "Dine in Hell" Defense-all 11 are back this year. The offense returns productive WR's and the leading rusher. Still a job to rebuild but THIS IS SPARTA!!!!

4. Idaho-Yep they grow them taters here. Mmm mmm mmm. Use that sling blade to get them taters. Also got to replace a QB, and the rest of the offense, only 3 starters back, 7 on defense. NC games include BYU, Texas A&M and Virginia which is for lovers.

5. Fresno St-The Bulldogs have a new Carr on the lot, and all I want to know is does he have a hot wife like his older brother? Anyway, the Bulldogs are in a rebuilding mode-and that could make them dangerous. But only 6 starters are back, 2 yes 2 on offense so this is gonna be a long year, but with all those gorgeous Valley Girls would you even care if they did?

6. Hawaii-My favorite destination, and where McGarrett is in the slammer (for about all of 10 seconds once 5-0 returns this fall) the Warriors are no longer the fruity skittles Rainbow Warriors but simply the Warriors. 9 starters are back, 6 on defense so it will be up to them to take this team to the winning season land. Now, where can I find a picture of Grace Park in a bikini?

7. Utah St-The Aggies have made some progress, but a cellar dwellar is still an Aggie in this WACky WACky conference. Find a QB and HC Gary Anderson could have a good year, but the conference home slate provides the puffs. The Non Puffs are on the road. Damn shame.

8. New Mexico St-The Aggies have made progress but a cellar dwellar is still an Aggie in this WACky WACky conference. In his 1st season HC DeWayne Walker looked like he was getting somewhere but last year was 3 months on WTF? brand football. 13 starters are back and nobody can win here. Ever.

#6 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

Ohio St vacates all 2010 wins, Oregon and LSU have some explaining to do about Willie Lyles also.

Next previews are the MAC, Conference USA and the Independents!

#7 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

2011 MAC Preview

Well, good news is nobody seems to want to take anyone away from this conference, the bad? I don't think this conference leaves the FBS mediocrity level. A good team can't keep its coach for long, but this is the proving grounds for those future big time head coaches. Urban Meyer, Brady Hoke and plenty former coaches and players have made it to the big time and started here. So, with tongue in cheek humor, here we go!

MAC East

1. Miami (Ohio)-The Redhawks last year pulled a great turnaround going 10-4 last season and 1-11 the year before. Mike Haywood took the Pitt job, allegedly beat his baby mama and now is jobless and no doubt will never be an HC at a major program again. Don Treadwell took over a few games from Mark D'Antonio at Mich St last year and returns 16 starters-9 on defense. Some publications pick Ohio, but I like the Reddies here.

2. Ohio-Bobcats HC Frank Solich has rebuilt an unfairly tarnished record at Nebraska. He has the Cats playinjg well, and adding a no huddle offense to the mix. The defense is largely inexperienced so don't expect a title, but definitely a bowl bid.

3. Bowling Green-HC Dave Calwson is on the hot seat, but he might get off it this year. The Falcons have 13 starters-6 on offense-returning, a favorable Conf home schedule and only West Virginia as a strong NC opponent.

4. Kent St-The fighting Lou Holtz's or Nick Saban's take your pick-have a reason to be optimistic in 2011. New HC Darell Hazell comes from Ohio St and is tasked with rebuilding the program. NC foes are Bama and Kansas St.

5. Temple-Steve Adazzio is the Owls new HC and he is changing the pro style attack used by current Miami Fl HC Al Golden (former Temple HC) and using the spread option offense. Temple is a better program, but in the 20 MAC victories the last 4 yrs none are against teams that finished over .500

6. Buffalo-Turner Gill got out after a winning season, so the Bulls turned to Jeff Quinn who went 2-10. 10 starters are back-8 on offense-so expect more the same for a program that could face a decision to drop down in a few years. Pitt, UConn, Tennessee are the NC games

7. Akron-The Zips tried Rob Ianello last year and went 1-11. 12 starters-7 on defense-return, but I don't see a Miami OH turnaround here.

MAC West

1. Toledo-The Rockets should blast high in 2011, with 17 starters back-9 on defense-expect much from Tim Beckman's 3rd year as HC. Don't let the ineveitable 1-3 start fool you-Ohio St, Boise St and Syracuse are good teams in NC play.

2. Western Michigan-Bill Cubit has done a good job here, and now the hard work pays off. Michigan and UConn highlight the NC slate.

3. Northern Illinois-Former HC Jerry Kill left for the Minnesota program, enter Dave Doeren as the new HC. Huskies have expereince on offense-9 starters but return only 2 on defense.

4. Central Michigan-Losing former HC's Brian Kelly and Butch Jones took a toll. HC Dan Enos went 3-9 with a talented but young team a year ago. The Chippewa's are in the same boat, 13 starters-8 on offense-return this year.

5. Ball State-The Fighting Dave Letterman's return 11 starters-6 on defense, and debut a new HC in Pete Lembo, after only winning 6 games the last 2 yrs since Brady Hoke left. Ouch. Don't get too comfy, Pete.

6. Eastern Michigan-every one has a cellar dwellar and here its the Eagles. HC Ron English did go from 0-12 to 2-10 last year, so if he doubles up he'll go 4-8 this year.

MAC Title Game:

Miami, OH vs Toledo

2011 MAC Champs-Toledo

#8 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

2011 Conference USA Preview

CUSA might be changing. Big East expansion could pull a team or two from here. CUSA might take a WAC team who doesn't want to be in a High School League (La Tech) and who knows? Maybe this isn't gonna be a joke confernece. Ask Georgia, who lost to Central Florida in the Liberty Bowl.

CUSA East

1. Central Florida-The Knights knocked off UGA, and are riding high. HC George O'Leary has doen well here developiing a ball control offensive attack, and a ben but dont bbreak defense. 10 starters-6 on offense-return but have a lot of depth.

2. UAB-Yep I am taking a huge gamble here. The Blazers will get a win in HC Neil Galloway's 5th season. 15 starters-8 on defense return, Tommy West takes over as DC, and Florida and Miss St are the only big NC games. Bigger problem-Legion Field aint the gem it used to be, and I don't see a stadium being built.

3. Southern Miss-Larry Fedora has done well here, he's got 11 starters-6 on offense- back in 2011. With a new DC, expect some change, but not enough to win a title.

4. East Carolina-Ruffin McNeil's 1st game was the best in college football a year ago. But the Pirates will struggle a bit again in 2011, but sould go 7-5 and secure another bowl bid.

5. Marshall-Doc Holliday needs Wyatt Earp real bad. No joke, that's the HC-Doc Holliday. After a few close calls the Herd is a year away from enjoying success seen in late 90's and early 00's.

6. Memphis-HC Larry Porter went 1-11. Good recruiter but not a bad HC. No surprise, he [censored]ed up LSU's RB situation here, and it lead ot the meltdown at Ole Miss, but I think the future is bright, but not the present.

CUSA West

1. SMU-Did anyone see Pony Excess? Best ESPN film ever. Thankfully those days are gone, June Jones has the Mustangs riding high-could home games at the Jerry Jones Palace be coming soon? 18 starters-10 on offense-return making this the deepest team in Jones' tenure.

2. Tulsa-Bill Blakenship takes over after Todd Graham left for Pitt. He returns 15 starters-8 on offense & a tough NC schedule starring Oklahoma, Oklahoma St and Boise St. But the Golden Hurricanes could pull a surprise-and win the whole damn thing.

3. Houston-QB Case Keenum got hurt and the Cougars collapsed due to it. Now he's back and HC Kevin Sumlin couldn't be happier. UCLA and La Tech are the NC games, so 6 wins is a given. But with 12 starters-5 on offense-don't expect the huge numbers seen in 08 & 09.

4. Tulane-Yep, I am gonna be a homer. HC Bob Toledo could be on the hot seat, but he has some depth despite returning 11 starters-4 on offense. Duke, Army, Syracuse are the only non winnable NC games.

5. Rice-The Owls are like Tulane, not a lot of recent success, but had it before. Todd Graham did well here, but now David Baliff is on the hot seat. Rice has some good athletes, 15 starters back, 8 on offense, and a tough NC slate-Texas, Purdue and Baylor.

6. UTEP-Miner's HC Mike Price will need all the strippers he can get into his office. Enjoy it while it lasts, UTEP will have a new HC in 2012.

CUSA Championship Game:

Central Florida vs SMU

2011 CUSA Champs-SMU

#9 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

Gonna start the BCS next week with the Independents and the Mountain West

It looks like Oregon is in serious trouble. LSU revealed all the info they bought from Willie Lyles that had JUCO data in Kansas and California, as well as some game film and some material which was roster info and out of date. LSU paid $6,000 for this data, and I guess Cal will go public as well with their dealings with Lyles soon as well. Former Texas A&M assistant Van Malone said Lyles told him it would take $80,000 to get Patrick Peterson-former LSU player and current Arizona Cardinal-to come to College Station. Peterson has said he never dealt with Lyles and evidence does suggest that. Still, Oregon has 2 recruits-LaMichael James and Lache Seastrunk who have ties to Lyles. the $25,000 payment to Lyles is close to the same amount of data that LSU paid for and received (Info was more up to date then what Oregon got) and I guess Cal will have the same details as LSU's payment to Lyles. If this holds up, Chip Kelly could be in serious trouble, and not even all the Nike moolah and crappy looking uniforms could get the Ducks out of this mess.

Now I am not blaming Oregon-they paid way too much compared to LSU and Cal. Recruiting services are a growing trend and programs like Cal, Oregon and LSU who can recruit nationally don't always have access to players in areas they are not familiar with. If you make a legitimate business that the NCAA says is ok to run and sell to college coaches, fine. But the NCAA needs to have some control here, and that's the problem. I've issued my plan, hopefully the NCAA can do the same.

#10 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:20 PM

LSU for the 1st time in 25 years is on the list of a major violator of NCAA regs. This stems from a former assistant coach giving access to discounted housing & a car. To top it off, the assistant had a 2nd cell phone LSU didn't know about. The player never played & when LSU learned of this they self reported to the NCAA. In the end LSU's self imposed penalties-reductions in scholarships, official visits & calling recruits-were upheld & put on 1 yr probation. Next yr LSU can go back to full status as they lived under these limits last year. Unlike cbssportsline reporter Dennis Dodd, this forthcoming nature showed by LSU gives me reason to believe their part in the Willie Lyles issue-something a Fox info babe tried to allude to. The bottom line is if an institution self reports once they find out a problem occurs the wrath of the NCAA will not fall down on them. LSU got lucky here, this could've been a lot worse.

#11 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:37 AM

Breaking News-North Carolina has fired head coach Butch Davis. I don't have the details but my guess its due to the agent party mess his players got involved in last year.

Reviews continue after an unexpected open date with the Mountain West, Independents & the ACC so I can catch up

#12 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:25 PM

I would have posted reviews but for some reason cbn wouldn't upload. More for this wknd I hope-uploading hopefully not an issue.

#13 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:59 PM

Coach's Poll Top 5 is out:

1. Oklahoma
2. Alabama
3. Oregon
4. LSU
5. Florida St.

Gonna have a TON of conference previews: Independents, Mountain West, Big East & ACC this wknd.

#14 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

Starting BCS previews, so a like last year a little more in depth and some interesting nuggets to pass along. HC-Head Coach; OC-Offensive Coordinator; DC-Defensive Coordinator

2011 Independents Preview

ARMY Black Knights
HC-Rich Ellerson (3rd year
OC-Ian Shields
Co DC's-Payam Saadat & Chris Smelans
Returning Starters: 10 (6 on offense)

Army did very well last season, the 1st winning season since 1997 and the 1st bowl win since 1985. But that was then, this is now. Army's offense should carry the load, but expect the passing game to be seen more, despite running the flex bone offense-similar to Navy & GA tech and despite finishing last in thatcategory a yr before-both WR's are back. The O-line may be inexperienced, but playing in a system type offense will help since the schemes are not complex. Defense is the biggest problem-no D-line starter has started before, but the LB corps is solid. The schedule features Notre Dame, Air Force & Navy to wrap up the season.

BYU Cougars
HC-Bronco Mendenhall (7th season)
OC-Brandon Doman
DC-Bronco Mendenhall
Returning Starters: 14 (9 on offense)

In a WTF move BYU is in the West Coast Conference in all sports but football, and launched its own network. ESPN will run that network but this is a head scratcher. Expect the Cougars, who were a young 7-6 team last year, to grow up a little offensively. With the bulk of their starters back, this unit should be very efficient, but it might not make up for a weak defense, which has a lot of holes to fill. The schedule may doom them; in Sept alone they play Ole Miss, Texas, Utah and Central Florida. If they can get to .500 in that month, winning 7 games is possible. While I don't approve leaving, if BYU can rake in some cash, good luck. They are gonna need it this year

Navy Midshipmen
HC-Ken Niumatalolo (4th year)
OC-Irvin Jasper
DC-Buddy Green
Returning Starters: 9 (7 on offense)

If Navy is to continue winning Commander-In Chief Trophy's and extending their bowl streak, they are gonna have to grow up fast. The Navy offense is an efficient blueprint for how to run the option, much like Army's. On offense, Navy returns its top 2 rushers and the bulk of the O-line. Since they throw only a few times a game that's good-especially now they have to break in a new QB. The Middies' 3-4 scheme helps deal with the complex offenses they face, and was the heart and soul of this team last year. Navy's schedule is manageable 6 wins-but South Carolina, Southern Miss, Air Force, Notre Dame and Army will prove to be tough games

Notre Dame Fighting Irish
HC-Brian Kelly (2nd year)
OC-Charley Molnar
DC-Bob Diaco
Returning Starters-16 (8 on each side)

Good news-this is a veteran team coming in for Brian Kelly's 2nd year, and if the past is any indication this is the year Notre Dame makes it back to a BCS Bowl game. The bad-Michael Floyd's off the field stories could distract from what should be a great year. The Irish will need to find a QB-Dayne Crist or Tommy Rees, but should find success with either one. Rees lead the Irish comeback last year, and I expect him to open up against South Florida. On defense, the Irish 3-4 personnel have had time to adjust, but will be a young unit, so expect some hiccups early on. The schedule is the same, Michigan, Michigan St, Purdue, the Service Academies, USC & Stanford. I can see 10 wins, but realistically 8 or 9. IMO-if the Irish joined the Big East, the conference could get their own network, and some more noteriety and the Irish could go 8-4 & still make a BCS Bowl.

#15 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

2011 Mountain West Preview

Big changes coming as this is Boise's 1st year & TCU's last. I do consider this a BCS conference this year, but without TCU in the mix, I can't see them as one next year. While TCU has ruled here the past few years, who will reign this year?

1. Boise St Broncos
HC-Chris Peterson (6th year)
OC-Brent Pease
DC-Pete Kwiatowski
Returning Starters: 14 (7 on each side)

For a team that has lost 5 games in 5 years you have to be impressed by the Smurf Turf. On offense, the deep threats a year ago are gone, and there is a new OC in Brent Pease who coached WR's here before and replaces Bryan Harsin who took the same job at Texas. On defense, the scondary will be inexperienced and will get tested early-Georgia likes to toss the ole pigskin around and that's the opener. The schedule will be tougher, as this is a huge jump from the WAC, but the Broncos should rule here this year.
Key NC Game: Sept 3 in Atlanta vs Georgia
Key Conf. Game: Nov 12 hosting TCU

2. Air Force Falcons
HC-Troy Calhoun (5th season)
Co OC's-Clay Hendrix & Blaine Morgan
Co DC's-Matt Wallerstedt & Charlton Warren
Returning Starters: 12 (7 on Defense)

The Falcons are my surprise 2nd place pick, due in part to who is coming back, and only 1 tough road game in conference play. In any option offense if your QB is back, that's a plus. If he can toss it, even better. If they can find a fullback to take the dives, and they will, this offense will fly. On defense the Falcons have an expereinced group coming back, and this year they will rely on it to win some games. If their kicker can get over some mental blocks, this could be a surprise team, but hopefully it won't come down to a last second FG to win games this year.
Key NC Game: Oct 8 at Notre Dame
Key Coonf. Game: Sept 10 hosting TCU

3. San Diego St Aztecs
HC-Rocky Long (1st season
OC-Andy Ludwig
DC-Rocky Long
Returning Starters: 12 (7 on offense)

Rocky Long did well as the HC at New Mexico where he posted a 65-69 record in 11 years there. He was the DC here as the Aztecs went 9-4 and won a bowl game for the 1st time since 1969. He replaces Brady Hoke who took the same job at Michigan and took last year's OC AL Borges with him to Ann Arbor. The cupboard isn't bare though, but a tough road schedule is on the slate. On offense the QB and the top rusher in the conference return, but defense will be a bit patchy. The good news is the top part of the schedule isn't too tough, but there is an interesting game on the slate for Sept 24. On defense, the 3-3-5 the Aztecs play should help them keep up speedwise with teams like Boise & TCU.
Key NC Game: Sept 24 at Michigan
Key Conf. Game: Oct 13 at Air Force

4. TCU Horned Frogs
HC-Gary Patterson (12th season)
Co OC's-Jarrett Anderson & Justin Fuente
DC-Dick Bumpas
Returning Starters: 6 (4 on defense)

This is a rebuilding year in Fort Worth, and the Horned Frogs have a giant bullseye on their backs as this is the defending Rose Bowl champs, and coming off a perfect season 13-0 last year. The offense has their top RB back-and that's about it. The other 9 spots are up, with only 1 back on the O-line. Defense is a little better, but it's gonna take some help from newcomers to make something happen. The good news is the only tough games are in conference so it is likely a 7 or 8 win season is possible.
Key NC Game: Sept 2 at Baylor (Old Southwest Conference rival!)
Key Conf. Game: Oct 8 at San Diego St

5. Colorado St Rams
HC-Steve Fairchild (4th season)
OC-Pat Meyer
DC-Larry Kerr
Returning Starters: 12 (6 on each side)

Good news-HC Steve Fairchild returns his most veteran team in his time in Fort Collins. The bad? 3-9 was last years record. At least the Rams have a strong O-line and their QB back-but they need to find a RB who can take over the ground game and a WR to balance things out. The latter will prove to be difficult. On defense the Rams 4-3 attack has the speed in the front 7 to cause problems, but lack of experience up front will be a growing pain, as the secondary has the experience here. Sonny Lubick won here, so it can be done. If Fairchild can't find 6 wins, expect a new sheriff in 2012.
Key NC Game: Sept 17 vs Colorado at Denver
Key Conf. Game: Oct 15 hosting Boise St

6. Wyoming Cowboys
HC-Dave Christensen (3rd year)
OC-Gregg Brandon
DC-Marty English
Returning Starters: 13 (7 on defense)

2 years ago, Dave Christensen was the bee's knee's as the Cowboys won 7 games and went bowling. Last year, they finished 3-9 prompting changes. Former Bowling Green HC Gregg Brandon takes over as OC, but the challenge will be finding a QB since their starter a year ago surprisingly transferred. Whoever can emerge at QB will have the top rusher and must find a WR who can stretch the field. The good news is the defense, which has a strong 2 deep, and will be what carries this team through out the season. Christensen is on the hot seat, but unless another 3-9 season happens expect him to stay on for 2012.
Key NC Game: Sept 24 hosting Nebraska
Key Conf. Game: Oct 15 hosting UNLV

7. UNLV Running Rebeles
HC-Bobby Hauck (2nd season)
OC-Rob Phenicie
DC-Karaig Paulson
Returning Starters: 9 (6 on offense)

I have to admit I would have loved to go to college here. Las Vegas rules! Still, the Rebs haven't had much luck since John Robinson left. Former QB Omar Clayton is gone, and there is a battle going on for that spot. The Rebs must also break in a new RB and have both WR's returning. If they can get a QB who can make plays, this unit might be a good one. On defense, the Fighting Suge Knight's are really inexperienced here, but ranking near the bottom a year ago means you can only go up-or be dead last.
Key NC Game: Sept 1 at Wisconsin
Key Conf. Game: Oct 15 at Wyoming

8. New Mexico Lobos
HC-Mike Locksley (3rd season)
OC-David Reaves
DC-George Barlow
Returning Starters: 10 (8 on defense)

To say Mike Locksley's tenure hasn't been unique is an understatement. Bad off field behavior and an 0-11 debut season hasn't helped him one bit. On offense David Reaves is promoted to run this offense, and has young talent, but the key word is young. At Qb you have game experience but Sophomores are the standard. On defense, George Barlow is promoted to run that, but he has players to work with. Bottom line is Locksley's job is on the line, and if there isn't production expect the Lobo's to find a new boss in 2012.
Key NC Game: Sept 10 at Arkansas
Key Conf, Game: Sept 3 vs Colorado St

#16 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

2011 Big East Preview

The Big East will get interesting next year adding TCU. Villanova and Central Florida re other possible additions too. But this year will be interesting-and wide open-as this might be the most interesting conference race this year. No time like the present however.

1. West Virginia Mountaineers
HC-Dana Holgerson
OC-Dana Holgerson
DC-Jeff Casteel
Returning Starters: 11 (7 on offense)

If you like dramas or soap operas then you loved West Virginia this offseason. First, HC Dana Holgerson allegedly got kicked out of a casino and former HC Bill Stewart leaked the story, allegedly. Stewart resigned (he was fired) and Holgerson who was supposed to take over in 2012 takes over now. While he doesn't have the Qb he would like, Geno Smith isn't bad to have as the Air Raid offense will be different with an atheltic QB in the pocket. On defense the Moutaineers have to grow up fast, but should be fine as a unit overall.
Key NC Game: Sept 24 hosting LSU
Key Conf. Game: Oct 21 at Syracuse

2. Syracuse Orangemen
HC-Doug Marrone (3rd year)
OC-Nathaniel Hackett
DC-Scott Schafer
Returning Starters: 13 (8 on offense)

Good news-Syracuse is back! Fresh off a win in the inaugural Pinstripe Bowl, the Orange have a reason to be optimistic. On offense 8 starters are back, including QB Ryan Nassib who played very well a year ago. On defense the Orange the front 9 isn't too experienced and they will need to grow up soon. Another problem was playing at home-the Orange were 5-1 on the raod which is good-but 2-4 at home won't cut it. Still, this is a talented team and they have a coach who wants to be there, and wants to win. Can't make any jokes-the Orange are good. And they are back.
Key NC Game: Sept 17 at USC
Key Conf. Game: Oct 21 hosting West Virginia

3. South Florida Bulls
HC-Skip Holtz (2nd year)
OC-Todd Fitch
DC-Mark Snyder
Returning Starters: 10 (6 on defense)

Projected to win or finish 2nd by many, I have the Bulls at 3rd due to lack of returners on offense, and possible loss of luck. QB BJ Daniels is exciting, but he will have to shoulder the burden this year offensively. On defense the Bulls are strong here once again, and have at least 2 deep at each position, but while defense will wiin a few, an offense that could struggle won't win a title.
Key NC Game: Nov 19 hosting Miami FL
Key Conf. Game: Dec 1 hosting West Virginia

4. Pitt Panthers
HC-Todd Graham
Co OC's-Calvin Magee & Michael Norvell
Co DC's-Keith Patterson & Paul Randolph
Returning Starters: 13 (8 on defense)

More drama, but Mike Haywood would be the HC still if he hadn't been arrested in a domestic dispute. Todd Graham comes in from Tulsa and promises to make the offense a bit more up tempo and explosive. Big words, but if they can recruit well they can-but not this year. Pitt's offense has little experience, but talent. On defense the oppsorite is true-talent and experience. The schedule is a good mix of road and home games, but the NC slate could be tough, and remember you have a southern coach in a northern atmosphere. What worked at Tulsa might not work in Pitt.
Key NC Game: Sept 17 at Iowa
Key Conf. Game: Sept 29 hosting South Florida

5. Connecticutt Huskies
HC-Paul Pasqualoni
OC-George DeLeone
DC-Don Brown
Returning Starters: 16 (10 on defense)

Coach P is back-at UConn-and his hire should help the Huskies recruit the Northeast and his NFL experience should be a big draw. Coming off the Fiesta Bowl, this is a good team, but there are som concerns, and they are all on the offense as the defense is loaded. Who will play QB? WOho will step at RB? These are questions the Huskies must answer. On defense, veterans run the show, and this could be a great unit, but the 2nd half of the schedule is a doozie.
Key NC Game: Sept 10 at Vanderbilt
Key Conf. Game: Oct 8 at West Virginia

6. Louisville Cardianls
HC-Charlie Strong (2nd year)
OC-Mike Sanford
DC-Vance Bedford
Returning Starters: 9 (6 on defense)

Louisville surprised many a year ago going 7-6 and beating Southern Miss in the Beef O Brady's bowl. Bad news this year is the offense is gonna be wide open-because they have to replace 8 starters, no small task. The spread option is tough to run, and the Cardinals will have to dig in their bag of tricks to make it work. Charlie Strong made his name on defense, and the cards will be good there, but will struggle a bit. The talent can get here, and it will, but 2012 is more the break out year for the Cards.
Key NC Game: Sept 17 at Kentuckey
Key Conf. Game: Oct 15 at Cincinnati

7. Rutgers Scarlet Knights
HC-Greg Schiano (11th year)
OC-Frank Cignetti
DC-Bob Fraser
Returning Starters: 13 (8 on offense)

Greg Schiano went from the most sought after HC in college football to an afterthought pretty quickly. Going to the spread was a mistake, but now a pro set offense is back, and finding a QB now that Tom Savage is gone is a must. On defense, there is little experience and that could be a problem. Yout hand inexperience reign in the Jersey flagship, but I don't see anyone getting fired if 5-7 happens.
Key NC Game: Sept 10 at North Carolina
Key Conf. Game: Oct 1 at Syracuse

8. Cincinnati Bearcats
HC-Butch Jones (2nd season)
OC-Mike Bajakian
Co DC's-Tim Banks & Jon Jancek
Returning Starters: 15 (10 on defense)

How do you say choke job? You go from 12-1 to 4-8 in just one year. The Brian Kelly days are done, and now its time to rebuild. On offense you have the capability to score a lot, but a defense that gives up a lot. That defense is back but the offense is gone. Add the fact you have no kicker, something I have overlooked but only mentioned b/c most kickers in conference are solid-means close games are NOT what you want. Still, last place could still be 6-6 so a bowl isn't impossible, just not likely.
Key NC Game: Sept 10 at Tennessee
Key Conf. Game: Oct 15 hosting Louisville

#17 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:03 AM

ACC preview coming-thought I could do them yesterday but its a lot of work to do reviews.

More on the way!

ACC preview coming-thought I could do them yesterday but its a lot of work to do reviews.

More on the way!

#18 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:24 PM

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!

Texas A&M could be joining the SEC. Big 12 commish Dan Beebe allegedly said they could survive without A&M. The SEC is reportedly meeting this wknd; the A&M board will meet next week while the Texas legislature meets on Aug 22nd but rumored to meet next Wed. Details coming soon-in my previews this weekend

#19 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:24 PM

ESPN reports Texas A&M will join the SEC. Florida St, Clemson & Missouri will also reportedly join according to ESPN

#20 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

2011 Big XII Preview

Big news yesterday about the future of this conference. As I and many others have predicted, the Longhorn Network would kill this conference and it looks like it has. But for now, this conference is still up and running and there is a lot of football to be played. So, without the innuendos of who is staying or leaving, lets get on to the nitty gritty.

1. Oklahoma Sooners
HC-Bob Stoops (13th season)
Co-OC's-Josh Heupel & Jay Norvell
Co-DC's-Brent Venables & Bobby Jack Wright
Returning Starters: 14 (8 on offense)

All you need to see is returning starters, and you can see why many feel the Sooners rule the roost here. QB Landry Jones is a early Heisman candidate, the talent level here is tops, and the schedule is favorable. Former OC Kevin Wilson left to be the head man in Indiana, and I am not sure how the co-coordinators will work on offense, but as long as too much isn't changed don't expect to see a dip in production. On defense, the front 7 needs to find 3 new starters-as LB Travis Lewis is out for 2 months due to a foot injury. With a solid kicking game and dangerous special teams, I think Oklahoma will be in New Orleans playing for it all come January.
Key NC Game: Sept 17 at Florida St
Key Conf. Game: Oct 8 vs Texas in Old Cotton Bowl Stadium

2. Texas A&M Aggies
HC-Mike Sherman (4th season)
OC-Mike Sherman
DC-Tim DeRuyter
Returning Starters: 18 (9 on each side)

Rumors of future affiliation aside, this is the best team the Aggies have had coming back in years. Winning 6 out of its last 7 games, the Aggies found a QB in Ryan Tannehill who could move the chains and score points. RB Cyrus Gray leads the pack in the Aggies backfield and his emergence a year ago helped fuel the turnaround. Defensively the Aggies have a lot coming back, only needing to replace a NT and an ILB in their 3-4 scheme, although the Aggies did play a lot of 3-3-5 later in the year. If the Sooners were on the home schedule, I would have predicted the Aggies to win it all this year, but that is the only road test of the year, but will be challenged by road games with Texas Tech & K-State.
Key NC Game: Oct 1st vs Arkansas at Jerry's Palace
Key Conf. Game: Sept 24 hosting Oklahoma St

3. Oklahoma State Cowboys
HC-Mike Gundy (7th season)
OC-Todd Monken
Co-DC's-Glenn Spencer & Bill Young
Returning Starters: 13 (7 on Offense)

T. Boone Pickens has sunk a lot of money into the Oklahoma St athletic program the last few years, and the dividends are paying off. Better facilities, better academic buildings are luring more students to Stillwater. Gone is last year's OC Dana Hogerson to West Virginia and I don't see the Air Raid coming back under Todd Monken, a former Okie St and LSU assistant under Les Miles. Despite that, this is a team with a good pass-catch combo in Brandon Weedon and Justin Blackmon. The O-Line returns all 5 starters, so whoever starts at RB will be able to move the ball. On defense, the addition of Bill Young a year ago gave this team a 180 and into the Alamo Bowl and an 11 win season, the best in school history-Jimmy Johnson and Les Miles did not achieve that here, but Mike Gundy, the QB at Okie St when they had Thurman Thomas AND Barry Sanders back in the day. Finding a FG kicker will be a challenge, but a Cotton Bowl isn't a bad thing this year.
Key NC Game: Sept 8 hosting Arizona
Key Conf. Game: Dec 3 hosting Oklahoma

4. Missouri Tigers
HC-Gary Pinkel (11th season)
OC-David Yost
DC-Dave Steckel
Returning Starters: 16 (9 on Offense)

If Missouri was returning Blaine Gabbert at QB-they win the Big XII this year. But since they are not, whoever will be QB has the chance to succeed as all the playmakers are back on offense. On defense, the Tigers have a VERY inexperienced secondary so the front 7 has a lot of work to do. Again, this team may or may not be leaving, but all they can do is worry about what is on the field this year.
Key NC Game: Sept 9 at Arizona St
Key Conf. Game: Sept 24 at Oklahoma

5. Texas Longhorns
HC-Mack Brown (14th seaon)
Co-OC's-Major Applewhite & Byran Harsin
DC-Manny Diaz

We now come to the architect of this madness, the University of Texas. Cool fact-Longhorn network gives them $300 mill over 20 years, which will in part kill the conference. But onto the football. New coordinators on both sides-Major is back after being at Bama and Rice, Harsin was at Boise St; Manny Diaz got the Miss St Bulldogs defense to rock some worlds. But this Longhorn team is young, so young that I see 6 or 7 wins here. Always tops in talent, Texas will have a strong base for the future, but 2012 looks more promising.
Key NC Game: Sept 17 at UCLA
Key Conf. Game: Oct 8 vs Oklahoma at Old Cotton Bowl Stadium

6. Baylor Bears
HC-Art Briles (4th season)
Co-OC's-Randy Clements & Phillip Montgomery
DC-Phil Bennet
Returning Starters: 13 (8 on Offense)

Take the most exciting QB in the country, sprinkle a couple of fast WR's mix in strong D-Line, and voila, you have Baylor football in 2011. QB Robert Griffin makes this a fun team to watch, but the Bears need a new RB to take the load off his feet. The O-Line is strong too, so that will help. Baylor's D-Liine is strong as well, but of the back 7 only 2 have starting experience. But Phil Bennett is the right choice to get the most out of this team. If Griffin stays heatlthy, Baylor could go bowling again, but the schedule is a doozy.
Key NC Game: Sept 2 hosting TCU
Key COnf. Game: Oct 2 hosting Kansas

7. Texas Tech Red Raiders
HC-Tommy Tuberville (2nd season)
OC-Neal Brown
DC-Chad Glasgow
Returnign Starters: 11 (6 on offense)

Looks like a rebuilding year, as the Red Raiders look to replace numerous starters on both sides of the football. I am not sure if the Air Raid is still going to be employed by the RR's but if they switch to Tommy Ball, expect a slow moving offense. Defense is a nightmare in the front 7, but the secondary is strong. No projected starter in the front 7 has a single start.
Key NC Game: Sept 24 hosting Nevada
Key Conf. Game: Oct 8 hosting Texas A&M

8. Iowa St Cyclones
HC-Paul Rhoades (3rd season)
OC-Tony Herman
DC-Wally Burnham
Returning Starters: 12 (7 on defense)

ISU needs a QB and RB to step up, but has a decent O-Line and top 2 WR's back. Defense should carry this team, but a rough schedule ensues, at least in conference play. This team could be higher in the end, but too many if's make it hard to see.
Key NC Game: Sept 10 hosting Iowa
Key Conf. Game: Oct 1 hosting Texas

9. Kansas St Wildcats
HC-Mark Snyder (3rd season back, 19th overall)
Co-OC's-Dana Dimel & Del Miller
DC-Chris Cosh
Returning Starters: 12 (7 on defense)

Just like above, a QB and RB need to step up, O-Line needs to find an interior 3 to start, and there is a WR returning. Defense will carry this team, but too many if's. Only Mark Snyder has been able to win here, and I was impressed by the 7-6 record as I didn't think they could pull that off. I don't think thye can pull that same feat this year.
Key NC Game: Sept 24 at Miami (FL)
Key COnf. Game: Oct 1 hosting Baylor

10. Kansas Jayhawks
HC-Turner Gill (2nd season)
Co-OC's-David Beaty & Chuck Long
DC-Carl Torbush

Turner Gill ditched the spread in favor of a Pro style attack on offense and it fizzled. Chuck Long coming in should help the young QB's and WR's but a weak O-Line awaits. On defense no pass rush came a year ago, but some promise in the conversion of Toben Opurum to DE could help.
Key NC Game: Sept 11 hosting Georgia Tech
Key COnf. Game: Nov 26 vs Missouri in Arrowhead

#21 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

ACC, Pac 12, Big 10 & SEC previews coming up. Ran out of time today!

#22 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

2011 ACC Preview

I have to admit, this is one I have been looking forward to doing a while, but with so much drama unfolding, I wasn't sure info would be accurate. I doubt another coach will get fired, or another program will surface to pay hookers or anything, so here we go. Surprisingly, there is a lot each team has returning in starter numbers-especially in the Atlantic Division. So sit back, relax, and hope you are a recruit who can get treated to the high life!

Atlantic Division

1. Florida St Seminoles
HC-Jimbo Fisher (2nd season)
OC-James Coley
DC-Mark Stoops
Returning Starters: 17 (9 on defense)

Long story short, the Noles have the most talent in the division. QB EJ Manuel has given fans a reason to think this is their year, but my concern has been a rash of O-Line injuries, causing a 17 yr old true freshman to start. Defense isn't a problem and will carry this team, but once the Offense gets going-look out.
Key NC Game: Sept 17 hosting Oklahoma
Key Conf. Game: Sept 24 at Clemson

2. Maryland Terrapins
HC-Randy Edsall (1st season)
OC-Gary Crowton
DC-Todd Bradford
Returning Starters: 13 (7 of defense)

Randy Edsall is in, and should have success in year one. Could be the surprise and could win division, plus more tough games at home. Defense should be interesting as some players have moved around in the front 7 so expect the unexpected in Terp Land.
Key NC Game: Sept 17 hosting West Virginia
Key Conf. Game: Sept 5 hosting Miami

3. Boston College Eagles
HC-Frank Spaziani (3rd season)
OC-Kevin Rogers
DC-Bill Mcgovern

The fighting Doug Fluties have been an average team lately. Talent does arrive, but not enough around it to win out. Expect the same this year.
Key NC Game: Sept 3 hosting Northwestern
Key Conf. Game: Oct 1 hosting Wake Forest

4. Clemson Tigers
HC-Dabo Sweeney (3.5 seasons)
OC-Chad Morris
Co-DC's-Kevin Steele & Charlie Harbison

Clemson and FSU could be the same program, but they have a coach on the hot seat. Coming off a 6-7 year, I really need the space for Miami and NC
Key NC Game: Sept 17 hosting Auburn
Key Conf. Game: Sept 24 hosting Florida St.

5. NC State Wolfpack
HC-Tom O'Brien (5th season)
OC-Dana Bible
DC-Mike Archer
Returning Starters: 12 (8 on defense)

Another HC on the hot seat, and you have to wonder about the future of the program. I expect a competitive team, but not a great one.
Key NC Game: Sept 22 at Cincinnati
Key Conf. Game: Sept 10 at Wake Forest

6. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
HC-Jim Grobe (11th season)
OC-Steed Lobotze
DC-Tim Billings

Jim Grobe was a top name in coaching circles, but no longer. Wake has declined, but could come back. Hard to see that happen this year.
Key NC Game: Sept 3 at Syracuse
Key Conf. Game: Sept 10 hosting NC State

Coastal Division

1. Virginia Tech Hokies
HC-Frank Beamer (25th season)
OC-Bryan Stinespring
DC-Bud Foster
Returnin Starters: 11 (6 on offense)

Lots of talent stockpiled so even with s few people back, the Hokies are set to rule the roost again-aided no doubt by off field incidents in Miami and UNC-means the champs could be default-the NCAA could sanction both programs-so you know who is 5th & 6th here.
Key NC Game: Sept 10 at East Carolina
Key Conf. Game: Oct 8 hosting Miami

2. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
HC-Paul Johnson (4th season)
OC-Paul Johnson
DC-Al Groh
Returning Starters: 11 (6 on offense)

When an option team needs to break in new starters I don't worry. They know the system, it isnt too complex, and you learn on the fly. On D-the Jackets need to find a new secondary.
Key NC Game: Sept 17 hosting Kansas
Key Conf. Game: Sept 24 hosting UNC

3. Virginia Cavaliers
HC-Mike London (2nd season)
OC-Bill Lazor (Really? Awesaome name Award nominee!)
DC-Jim Reid
Returning Starters: 15 (8 on offense)

The Cav's are going down the right path, and the NCAA may help them out here. While still a few years away, this is a competitive team this year.
Key NC Game: Sept 10 at Indiana
Key Conf. game: Sept 17 at UNC

4. Duke Blue Devils
HC-David Cutcliffe (4th season)
Co-OC's-Matt Luke & Kurt Roper
Co-DC's-Jim Collins & Jim Knowles

Good news-Duke's QB is solid, and has his top targets back, and his leading rusher. Bad? Defensive line is thin but secondary is good.
Key NC Game: Sept 10 hosting Stanford
Key Conf. Game: Sept 17 at Boston College. UNC only matters in hoops. Ya'll know that

5. Miami Hurricanes
HC-Al Golden (1st season)
OC-Jedd Fisch
DC-Mark D'Onofrio

Allegedly-a former booster paid for players to get cars, parties, hookers, anything their heart desired, and not just football but basketball as well. Can you say 'death penalty' boys and girls? It's not Al Golden's fault but he has to have 2nd thoughrs now, and its a dman shame. The talent is starting to come back, and the swagger of Da U was on its way back.
Key NC Game: Whenever NCAA Pres Mark Emmert makes decision on future of program
Key Conf. Game: See above

6. North Carolina Tarheels
Interim HC & DC-Everett Withers
OC-John Shoop
Returning Starters: 10 (6 on offense)

Butch Davis was fired a day or so after ACC Media Days, the AD was on his way out but they let the door hit his backside as he left too. This progeam is now a mess, and unless a good AD is found, this program may suffer more as a result. The fans may suffer more, as basketball is the only relief here, now they can relate even more to Duke, but not have the academic prestige of the Dukies. Good news is tip off is in November.

Key NC Game: NCAA Pres Mark Emmert
Key Conf. Game: Duke in Hoops

ACC Confernece Championship Game-Florida St vs Virginia Tech

2011 ACC Champs-Virginia Tech

#23 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:46 AM

Several LSU players-notably starting QB Jordan Jefferson-have been implicated in a bar fight. No suspensions or an arrest but if you want to bet on Oregon for the Sept 3 matchup-if you can find a line-do so. We are so distracted Oregon will whup us good.

#24 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

2011 PAC 12 Preview

Well, the Pac 12 is brand new-Colorado and Utah joined the Pac 10 to make it to 12, glad the division names are normal-unlike the Big 10 which is next up. I am not sure of the format, but playing the Conf. title game on home field of the best team isn't a good idea. Sadly if Las Vegas could have a stadium to play in, that would be the site I would choose-but to ignore Phoenix Stadium is foolish. Still, this is going to be a great year for the Pac 12 in its debut seaaon-also note USC is ineligible for postseason play, something Athlon should have known since they picked USC to play in Conf. Title game this year. Looks like i will use Phil Steele for next year.

North Division

1. Oregon Ducks
HC-Chip Kelly (3rd season)
OC-Mark Helfrich
DC-Nick Aliotti
Returning Starters: 12 (7 on offense)

Last year time off hurt Oregon and cost them a National Title. Their fast paced offense baffled defenses with how fast they could run plays, and Auburn won it all. Still, the Ducks will fly high in 2011 despite losing the bulk of O-Line and front 7 on defense. Look for a repeat of 2010 this year.
Key NC Game: Sept 3 vs LSU in Jerry's Palace
Key Conf. Game: Nov 12 at Stanford

2. Stanford Cardinal
HC-David Shaw (1st season)
OC-Pep Hamilton
Co-DC's-Derek Mason & Jason Tarver

QB Andrew Luck is back, and that is all you really need to know. I think Sahw is a good fit to replace Jim Harbaugh, and he is a Stanford man, so in all this program is in good shape. Finding a target at WR iis needed, and the defense is solid, but needs work. Not good enough to top the Quack Attack though.
Key NC Game: Nov 26 hosting Notre Dame
Key Conf. Game: Nov 12 hosting Oregon

3. Oregon State Beavers
HC-Mike Riley (11th season overall)
OC-Danny Langsdorf
DC-Mark Banker
Returning Starters: 10 (7 on offense)

The Beavers have a lot of promise on offense-minus RB Jacquizz Rogers who is in NFL. On Defense, despite loss of 8 starters, this is a fast unit and like Oregon a lot of players with game and not starting experience.
Key NC Game: Spet 10 at Wisconsin
Key Conf. Game: Nov 26 at Oregon (Civil War)

4. Washington Huskies
HC-Steve Sarkisian (3rd season)
OC-Doug Nussmeier
DC-Nick Holt

Bad news-Jake Locker is with the NFL. Good news-RB Chris Polk is still here. On defense, this is the best Sark has had here, but finding a QB wheher its Nick Montana or Keith Price will determine Huskies' success this season.
Key NC Game: Sept 17 at Nebraska (3rd time meeting in last 2 seasons-lost in reg season and won bowl game)
Key Conf. Game: Sept 24 hosting California

5. California Golden Bears
HC-Jeff Tedford (10th season)
OC-Jim Michalzik
DC-Clancy Pendergast
Returning Starters: 11 (6 on offense)

Its put up or shut up for Jeff Tedford as his seat is hot, since 2007 when ranked 2nd in Country, this program has folded, but seemed competitive a year ago despite going 5-7. Offense needs a RB & QB to step up; defense is a question mark as well-bigger ? is who will be coach in 2012?
Key NC Game: Sept 3 hosting Fresno St
Key Conf. Game: Sept 10 at Colorado

6. Washington St Cougars
HC-Paul Wulff (4th season)
OC-Todd Sturdy
DC-Chris Ball
Returning Starters: 13 (7 on offense)

Not much to say here, but this program is a long way from being what they were in the Mike Price days. Still, a good QB in Jeff Tuell, and a good secondary.
Key NC Game: Sept 17 at San Diego St
Key Conf. Game: Nov 26 at Washington

South Division

1. Utah Utes
HC-Kyle Whittinghma (7th season)
OC-Norm Chow
DC-Kalani Sitake

Surprise! Welcome to big leagues Utah! Now prove you can weave magic-and you should in this weak division. Be thankful USC is on probation.
Key NC Game: Sept 17 at BYU
Key Conf Game: Sept 10 at USC

2. Arizona Wildcats
HC-Mike Stoops (8th season)
OC-Seth Litrell
DC-Tim Kish
Returning Starters: 9 (5 on defense)

QB Nick Foles is back, but with not much else, this is going to be a long year.
Key NC Game: Sept 8 at Okie State
Key Conf. Game: Sept 17 hosting Stanford

3. Arizona St Sun Devils
HC-Dennis Erickson (5th season)
OC-Noel Mazzone
DC-Craig Bray

Coach on hot seat, new unifirms look alright, and could win division-but I think this progam is downhill.
Key NC Game: Sept 9 at Missouri
Key Conf. Game: Oct 15 at Oregon

4. UCLA Bruins
HC-Rick Neuheisel (4th season)
OC-Mike Johnson
DC-Joe Tresy

See above, the same is true.
Key NC Game: Sept 3 at Houston
Key Conf. Game: Nov 26 at USC

5. Colorado Buffaloes
HC-Jon Embree
OC-Eric Bieniemy
DC-Greg Brown
Returnign Starters: 14 (8 on offense)

Dan Hawkins error is over, and I think this is a program on the way up. Embree is a good hire, the OC was an awesome player here back iin the day and while a long road up, this team has some talent to compete.
Key NC Game: Sept 3 at Hawaii
Key Conf. Game: Sept 10 hosting Cal

6. USC Trojans
HC & OC-Lane Kiffin (2nd season)
DC-Monte Kiffin
Returning Starters: 14 (8 on defense)

If not for probation, this is who is playing Oregon for title.
Key NC Game: Oct 22 at Notre Dame
Key Conf. Game: Sept 24 at Arizona St

Pac 12 Championship Game: Oregon vs Utah

Pac 12 Champs-Oregon

#25 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

2011 Big 10 Preview

As much as I have made fun of the division names, I won't here. But welcome to Super Conference status Big 10! Just take some advice-Stick with the 8 game format, schedule open dates, and COME UP WITH BETTER DIVISION NAMES! Saving in depth preview for the SEC so a slight change here.

Legends

1. Iowa Hawkeyes
HC-Kirk Ferentz (13th season)
OC-Ken O'Keefe
DC-Norm Parker
Key NC Game: Sept 10 at Iowa St
Key Conf. Game: Nov 26 at Nebraska

2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
HC-Bo Pelini (4th season)
OC-Tim Beck
DC-Carl Pelini
Key NC Game: Sept 17 hosting Washington
Key Conf. Game: Oct 1 at Wisconsin

3. Michigan State Spartans
HC-Mark Dantonio (5th season)
OC-Dan Roushar
DC-Pat Narduzzi
Key NC Game: Sept 17 at Notre Dame
Key Conf. Game: Oct 1 at Ohio St

4. Michigan Wolverines
HC-Brady Hoke (1st season
OC-Al Borges
DC-Greg Mattison
Returning Starters: 16 (9 on offense)
Key NC Game: Sept 10 hosting Notre Dame
Key Conf. Game: Nov 26 hosting Ohio St

5. Northwestern Wildcats
HC-Pat Fitgerald (6th season)
OC-Mick McCall
DC-Mike Hankwitz
Key NC Game: Sept 3 at Boston College
Key Conf. Game: Oct 1 at Illinois

6. Minnesota Golden Gophers
HC-Jerry Kill (1st season)
OC-Matt Limegrover
DC-Tracy Claeys
Returning Starters: 10 (5 on each side)
Key NC Game: Sept 3 at USC
Key Conf. Game: Oct 1 at Michigan

Iowa seems to win when nobody expects them too, Nebraska is solid, but falters down the stretch. Michigan State could win-and it wouldn't shock me, Brady Hoke will do well at Michigan, but not this year. Northwestern is a wild card if QB stays healthy I expect a big year, and Minnesota has a good coach and a lousy team.

Leaders

1. Wisconsin Badgers
HC-Bret Bielema (6th season)
OC-Paul Chryst
DC-Chris Ash
Returning Starters: 11 (7 on defense)
Key NC Game: Sept 10 hosting Oregon St
Key Conf. Game: Oct 1 hosting Nebraska

2. Penn St Nittany Lions
HC-Joe Paterno (46th season)
OC-Galen Hall
DC-Tom Bradley
Key NC Game: Sept 10 hosting Alabama
Key Conf. Game: Oct 8 hosting Iowa

3. Ohio St Buckeyes
HC & DC-Luke Fickell
OC-Jim Bollman
Returning Starters: 7 (4 on defense)
Key NC Game: Sept 17 at Miami Fl
Key Conf. Game: Nov 26 at Michigan

4. Illinois Fighting Illini
HC-Ron Zook (7th season)
OC-Paul Petrino
DC-Vic Koenning
Key NC Game: Sept 17 hosting Arizona St
Key Conf. Game: Oct 8 at Indiana

5. Purdue Boilermakers
HC-Danny Hope (3rd season)
OC-Gary Nord
DC-Gary Emmanuel
Returning Starters: 14 (9 on defense)
Key NC Game: Oct 1 hosting Notre Dame
Key Conf. Game: Oct 8 hosting Minnesota

6. Indiana Hoosiers
HC-Kevin Wilson (1st season)
OC-Kevin Johns
Co-DC's-Mike Ekelr & Doug Mallory
Key NC Game: Sept 10 hosting Virginia
Key Conf. Game: Nov 26 hosting Purdue

I like the Badgers and QB Russell Wilson to open up the offense, Penn St will always be a contendor. Ohio St is going to struggle early, Ron Zook is on hot seat at Illinois, Purdue will have a new QB, and Kevin Wilson isn't at Oklahoma anymore, but has landed a top recruit for 2012 so Indiana might be on the right track.

Big 10 Championship Game-Iowa vs Wisconsin

Big 10 Champs: Wisconsin

#26 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:11 PM

2011 SEC Preview

A lot of talk about expansion, NCAA investigations and how LSU players can kick your [censored] in a barfight. The $EC is the big boy with the last 5 National Champs (Florida, LSU, Florida, Alabama, Auburn). So lets get the butt whuppin started, and ignore the expansion rumors.

SEC East

1. South Carolina Gamecocks
HC & OC-Steve Spurrier (7th season)
DC-Ellis Johnson

The Ole Ball Coach has the top defensive recruit in the country, and the bulk of his offense back from a division winning team last year. I thought the Gamecocks weakness was defense-displayed against Auburn and FSU last year. Still, this is the team to beat in the East.
Key NC Game: Nov 26 vs Clemson
Key Conf. Game: Spet 10 at Georgia

2. Florida Gators
HC-Will Muschamp (1st season)
OC-Charlie Weiss
DC-Dan Quinn
Returning Starters 9 (6 on offense)

I questioned this hire, but think Muschamp has a good staff, so this won't be Ron Zook's era all over again. Florida has the most talent, but it is unproven in the SEC East. Playiing the Gamecocks on the road as well as LSU and Auburn will be a long year.
Key NC Game: Nov 26 hosting Florida St
Key Conf. Game: Oct 1 hosting Alabama

3. Georgia Bulldogs
HC-Mark Richt (11th season)
OC-Mike Bobo
DC-Todd Grantham

I like Georgia, but have to doubt the offense. Many see them in Atlanta at end of year as well-as do I but in Chik-Fil-A Bowl. No proven WR's and an untried RB on offense, will need to be supported by Defense.
Key NC Game: Sept 3 against Boise St in Altlanta
Key Conf. Game: Spet 10 hosting South Carolina

4. Tennesee Volunteers
HC-Derek Dooley (2nd season)
OC-Jim Chaney
DC-Dustin Wilcox
Returning Starters: 10 (5 on each side)

Youth is in fashion at Knoxville. This team is young and scrappy so I expect a big 2012 from the Vols. Good thing they have a weak NC schedule, so the SEC schedule can give them some bumps. Expect 7 wins this year.
Key NC Game: Sept 10 hosting Cincinatti
Key Conf. Game: Oct 8 hosting LSU

5. Kentucky Wildcats
HC-Joker Phillips (2nd season)
OC-Randy Sanders
Co-DC's-Rick Minter & Steve Brown
Returning Starters: 11 (7 on defense0

Unlike the Joker's Wild! offense a year ago, this is going to be a team that relies on defense to win in 2011. O-line is back-but skill guys are largely untested. Road schedule toughest in conference so 6 wins might not come this year.
Key NC Game: Sept 17 hosting Louisville
Key Conf. Game: Sept 24 hosting Florida (LSU, Georgia, South Caroliina & Vandy are road games)

6. Vanderbilt Commodores
HC-James Franklin (1st season)
OC-John Donovan
Co-DC's-Brent Pry & Bob Shoop
Returning Starters: 18 (10 on offense)

Good news-this is an experienced team James Franklin inherits, the bad-they only beat Ole Miss & Eastern Michigan a year ago. Still, this is a good hire-Franklin was coach in waiting at Maryland (Like Muschamp was at Texas) and seems to be bringing a Northwestern type football approach to this fine educational institution.
Key NC Game: Sept 10 hosting UConn
Key Conf. Game: Sept 17 hosting Ole Miss

SEC West

1. Alabama Crimson Tide
HC-Nick Saban (5th season)
OC-Jim McElwain
DC-Kirby Smart

This is going to be a big year for Bama, follow me here. New starting QB (AJ McCarron I expect to be it over Phillip Sims) and while the front 7 is thin, this is still a good defense-just like it was in 2009. I expect Bama to roll in what could be (many hope but I doubt it) Nick Saban's final year (He spent 5 seasons at Michigan St and LSU).
Key NC Game: Sept 10 at Penn St
Key Conf. Game: Nov 26 at Auburn

2. Mississippi St Bulldogs
HC-Dan Mullen (3rd season)
OC-Les Koenning
Co-DC's-Geoff Collins & Chris Wilson
Returning Starters: 15 (8 on offense)

The only team in the West returning a starting QB in Chris Relf, they also return RB Vick Ballard as well. I expect the Bulldogs to roll in 2011, as they catch a favorable schedule in conference play (LSU on a Thurs after Auburn-thats a win). Still, the defense bloomed under Manny Diaz who bolted for Texas. The defense with co-coordinators may be a concern, but I expect another 9-10 win season with the least talented team in the SEC.
Key NC Game: Sept 3 at Memphis
Key Conf. Game: Sept 10 at Auburn

3. Arkansas Razorbacks
HC-Bobby Petrino
OC-Garrick McGee
DC-Willy Robinson

Bad news-RB Knile Davis is out for the season with a knee injury, so finding a RB to step up will be a concern, so will new starting QB Tyler Wilson who played well in relief of Ryan Mallet against Auburn. The good-the schedule allows them to find themselves this year. 2nd half is the rougher part but the Hogs have done well in November under Petrino.
Key NC Game: Oct 1 against Texas A&M at Jerry's Palace
Key Conf. Game: Sept 24 at Bama

4. LSU Tigers
HC-Les Miles (7th season)
OC-Greg Studrawa (Steve Kragthorpe stepped down as OC due to Parkinson's diagnosis in July)
DC-John Chavis

Ok-Jordan Jefferson is no longer on the team, and its Jarrett Lee who played well for the most part at QB. Russell Shepard's future is in hands of the NCAA for discussing his interview in the Willie Lyles investigation and the effects of former Asst Coach DJ McCarthy have made LSU a major violator of NCAA rules for the first time in any sport since 1986 when an asst. basketball coach helped a player go to his relative's funeral. Still, what was a possible National Title Contender is now a team riddled with distractions-not just for barfights but for other issues. Steve Kragthorpe having to step aside means Les Miles will be more in charge of offense-Studrawa is a yes man, and this is bad for the team. JJ at least could run, and the offense opened up big in the Cotton Bowl but Jarrett Lee is the best we have for now-good luck. I am not worried about the defense, but what will make this a 7-5 team is the QB play, the schedule and lack of special teams. This will be Miles' worst team at LSU.
Key NC Game: Getting blasted by Oregon at Sept 3 at Jerry's Palace
Key Conf. Game: Getting beat by Miss St on Thurs Sept 15 at Stark Vegas

5. Auburn Tigers
HC-Gene Chizik (3rd season)
OC-Gus Malzahn
DC-Ted Roof
Returning Starters: 5 (3 on offense)

Cam Newton is gone, and this is going to be a rough year for Auburn. Off field the NCAA is looking into Newton and Auburn, as well as the Justice Department looking into a local bank and casino giving recruits money and other services. Still, QB Barrett Trotter replaces Cam, RB Michael Dyer is back, and Auburn's defense will be young. Expect a pickup in 2012.
Key NC Game: Sept 17 at Clemson
Key Conf. Game: Nov 26 hosting Bama

6. Ole Miss Rebels
HC-Houston Nutt (4th season)
OC-David Lee
DC-Tyrone Nix
Returning Starters: 9 (6 on offense)

Houston Nutt is on the hot seat, after a great 2008 not much has happened since-only bad clock management by LSU helped them get a notable win in the last few years. Their projected starter at QB Randall Mackey got in a barfight-growing $EC trend-and will miss the opener. If Ole Miss can put together an 8 win season, Nutt's job is secure, but it will be tough this year.
Key NC Game: Sept 3 hosting BYU
Key Conf. Game: Sept 17 at Vandy

SEC Championship Game: Alabama vs South Carolina

SEC Champion: Alabama

#27 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:51 PM

Texas A&M is set to leave Big XII next June-all due to the Longhorn Network. No word yet, but the SEC is likely the choice for the Aggies. But a 14th team is needed. My picks are Missouri, Houston, Texas Tech, SMU, Tulane & Southern Miss. Explanations forthcoming.

Now to the winners:

Oklahoma, Alabama, Oregon, Georgia, Texas A&M, Texas, USC, South Carolina, Notre Dame, UCLA, Stanford, San Diego St, Vandy, Ohio St, Oklahoma St, BYU

#28 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

Big games today!

Bama vs Penn St (Best Uniform Bowl)

Georgia vs S. Carolina (Hot seat bowl?)

Michigan vs Notre Dame (Throwback Bowl-welcome to home night games Michigan!)

Tennessee vs Cincy (Relevant Bowl)

Auburn vs Miss St (Cam Newton Bowl! Scandalous!)

LSU vs Northwestern LA (S&M Bowl! What they are getting paid to get beaten)

Oregon vs Nevada (Revenge Bowl)

Ohio St vs Toledo (Ohio Bowl)

In other news, the Big 12 looks dead. Texas A&M will join the SEC in 2012 or 2013. IMO the SEC should target Oklahoma, Houston, Texas Tech, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas St, West Virginia or Louisville as its 14th member. The Pac 12 could grow as Oklahoma will make an announcement in the next couple of weeks about its future. Looks like the Longhorn Network will kill the Big 12, but if Texas joins the Pac 12, that network will have to die.

#29 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:22 PM

Add another possibly dead conference is on the horizon, & another conference will expand. Nobody saw this coming. Pitt & Syracuse will bolt the Big East for the ACC. This gives them a good football & awesome basketball conference. TCU might regret joining the Big East now, but Baylor & Iowa St are not good replacements, IMO as far as athletics go. Stay tuned, its going to get wild as Texas & Oklahoma make a decision about their futures tomorrow. Expect Texas to go to the ACC, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech & Kansas to join the Pac 12 in the next few weeks.

#30 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:47 PM

SDSU is undefeated and going to Michigan next week, I believe. Hoke is a joke!