128 replies to this topic

#91 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:53 PM

Brosnan does the best gun barrel, hands down!

Brosnan had the worst gunbarrel, hands down.

Epic Fail...

Too true. I like how he explains himself in his post. It's the classic sign of someone who doesn't have a valid argument.

Brosnan walks w/ a determined, cool, and confident swagger. He turns fast and shoots straight up. It doesn't get cooler than that.

People are upset with iBond because they think he starts too many threads, and they don't like how he titles his threads, and probably other various reasons.

I'm fine with iBond. His threads never have bothered me, and I've noticed that many of his threads actually get a lot of responses. He has shown that he can come up with topics that people find interesting.

As to your comments about Brosnan, I think his sequences are very sharp. His entire approach to the role was spot on.

#92 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:46 PM

The Brosnan Era was very successful. The films' box office receipts and home video sales were near the top of the earnings list for each year they were released. More importantly, Brosnan's film performances garnered high net revenues. Brosnan reinvigorated the franchise after the Dalton Era and a six year hiatus. EON should have rewarded Brosnan by given him $20 million and percentage of the profits for a fifth Bond film.

IMO, it was CR the movie that brought back to life the classic (sixties) era of the EON series. And while I'm not so sure about how to see QOS in that context, I do see the Brosnan movies as a failed and mediocre intent to the same- without taking any risk- following a comic book hollywood style approach.

I was making an economic point about the Brosnan era. I wasn't making a case for the era's creative merits.

However, since you bring it up, I will state that the premises developed for each of the Brosnan films are better that the ones developed for the Craig era. That's my subjective opinion on the matter.

I will also add that each of the Brosnan films had great and fun ideas, but they could have been executed more effectively. However, that can't be blamed on Brosnan.

Well, I have to admit that I like the premise of TND, but that plot is soon forgotten to give all the space to an excess of unrealistic action scenes more suitable for a videogame than a Bond movie.

Regarding Brosnan... he never convince me as Bond, he always seems acting as a version of what Hollywood believes Bond should look like rather than the real character.

Edited by Mr. Arlington Beech, 25 June 2011 - 09:50 PM.

#93 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:11 AM

Well, I have to admit that I like the premise of TND, but that plot is soon forgotten to give all the space to an excess of unrealistic action scenes more suitable for a videogame than a Bond movie.

Regarding Brosnan... he never convince me as Bond, he always seems acting as a version of what Hollywood believes Bond should look like rather than the real character.

I disagree with you about Brosnan, but I'll push that aside for now.

I agree with you completely in regards to Tomorrow Never Dies. I thought the idea of having a media mogul as a villain was a great idea. The film just wasn't done well.

What, sliding a motorcycle underneath a helicopter is unrealistic to you? :P

#94 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:25 AM

Tomorrow Never Dies is a pretty good Bond movie, works as a Bond movie and feels like one. Brosnan gave everything to the franchise, It's not his fault the studio wanted wall to wall action and a few silly one liners. He tried to fight it so many times without much luck. The 90's was all about the action and how expensive the movie looked. Eon got the job done. I love the motorcycle sliding underneath the helicopter rotor but the whole sequence was too long.

The opening scene of TND is probably one of the best in the series. The gun barrel for TND with Arnold's fresh score is tres cool . :) :) :) :) :) :)

#95 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

You know what? My favourite is actually the Bog-barrel one (Craig in CR). No idea why - it is just slick and cool, especially considering it's setting - it was a good pose and had just the right amount of urgency. But all this cool was completely undone by the hunchback approach he adopted for the QOS one. I think the Lazenby gunbarrel is pretty darn good.

ps. Other question - Transamerica. I miss that one!

Transamerica - yeah!!!

Wow - I had completely forgotten about that one. A lot of fond memories of VHS and Bond marathons.

#96 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

Too true. I like how he explains himself in his post. It's the classic sign of someone who doesn't have a valid argument.

And iBond did explain himself?

Brosnan's gunbarrel gait was too rigid, too self-aware to be taken seriously. That is, as seriously as you can take the gunbarrel sequence.

There, happy now?

#97 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

Brosnan defnitely has the best gunbarrel sequence. His walk is straight up, confident, determined, and cool...he turns fast and BANG! Plus, the CGI barrel works really well and is definite improvement.

I would have to agree with this as well (I know, shocking that I would say anything from the Brosnan Era was the best in the series ;) )

Dalton's gunbarrel isn't far behind, though, and I think that the sequence for Licence to Kill is the best all-around sequence, when the music and everything else are factored in. My two favorite gunbarrel sequence actually occur in consecutive films, with those for LTK and GE being my favorites of the entire series.

#98 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:14 PM

The opening scene of TND is probably one of the best in the series.

But the PTS of TND looks way too similar to the last part of GE's PTS. I mean, that could be acceptable between two movies that are not consecutives, but in this case it's a little bit too much (it's like the similitude among You Know My Name and Another Way To Die, only that in this case it could be justified arguing that we are talking about a so-called direct sequel).

Edited by Mr. Arlington Beech, 26 June 2011 - 09:17 PM.

#99 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:41 AM

But the PTS of TND looks way too similar to the last part of GE's PTS. I mean, that could be acceptable between two movies that are not consecutives, but in this case it's a little bit too much (it's like the similitude among You Know My Name and Another Way To Die, only that in this case it could be justified arguing that we are talking about a so-called direct sequel).

I honestly didn't see the similarities between GE and TND PTS. What I like about the whole sequence is how Bond appears from the shadows and destroys everything in sight, pretty bad [censored]. You know my name is a very unique Bond song but it really didn't match the tittle sequence which on its own is really beautiful to watch. The song is fast and scratchy while the main titles runs a bit slow with animations and image. Another Way to Die captures the visual and song brilliantly. It feels fresh.

#100 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:07 PM

I honestly didn't see the similarities between GE and TND PTS. What I like about the whole sequence is how Bond appears from the shadows and destroys everything in sight, pretty bad [censored]. You know my name is a very unique Bond song but it really didn't match the tittle sequence which on its own is really beautiful to watch. The song is fast and scratchy while the main titles runs a bit slow with animations and image. Another Way to Die captures the visual and song brilliantly. It feels fresh.

IMO, You Know My Name match very well the title sequence, altough I admit that a little more of orchestal work it wouldn't hurt (even, having in mind that the version used in the film- which is still unpublished- is the most string oriented of all the versions of the song).

While Another Way To Die, altough isn't really bad, borrows heavily (conciously or not) at least the beginning of YKMN; and the title sequence of QOS also isn't bad but it's too average and hence kind of boring, besides they shouldn't have replaced Daniel Kleinman after CR, which I think is far away his best work up to date.

#101 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:56 AM

And iBond did explain himself?

Brosnan's gunbarrel gait was too rigid, too self-aware to be taken seriously. That is, as seriously as you can take the gunbarrel sequence.

There, happy now?

Too self-aware to be taken seriously? ..... the gunbarrel sequence? How is he "too self aware?" He walks, turns, and shoots...(just like every other Bond) Lol. I think you put way...way too much thought into the particular sequence. It's not meant to be anything more than it is...a 10-second flashy opening.

Brosnan defnitely has the best gunbarrel sequence. His walk is straight up, confident, determined, and cool...he turns fast and BANG! Plus, the CGI barrel works really well and is definite improvement.

I would have to agree with this as well (I know, shocking that I would say anything from the Brosnan Era was the best in the series ;) )

Dalton's gunbarrel isn't far behind, though, and I think that the sequence for Licence to Kill is the best all-around sequence, when the music and everything else are factored in. My two favorite gunbarrel sequence actually occur in consecutive films, with those for LTK and GE being my favorites of the entire series.

Mine do as well...except for me it's GE and TND.

But the PTS of TND looks way too similar to the last part of GE's PTS.

I never thought they were all that similar to be honest.

#102 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

Daniel Kleinman makes very good titles, but I don't mind a change. The series will be very monotonous. I agree the version on CR main titles is quite different to original song but the titles and song doesn't move in synchrony. Another Way To Die has some triply music and the titles blend in well..

#103 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

Brosnan does the best gun barrel, hands down!

I agree completely. All of his gunbarrel's music sounds distinctly different yet with a hint of Bond theme familiarity. The clean rolling CGI barrel certainly adds some spark to the sequence. The 3D bullet in DAD was unnecessary though. He has the best walk, turn, and shoot of them all as well...

I'm glad that Brosnan came as Bond while it was a CG barrel, rather than the one used for Moore and Dalton. It just wouldn't have worked in my opinion, but who knows. Yeah, I love the fact that they used CGI. Seeing my first Bond film with Brosnan, I was a tad disappointed when they didn't have a CGI barrel for the previous Bonds. But the way the gun barrel looked in On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Diamonds Are Forever was awesome how they added a shine to it. But after those two, it went back to the basics until GoldenEye came out in 1995.

As for the CGI bullet coming towards you, I tend to try and just ignore that part haha!

#104 right idea, wrong pussy

right idea, wrong pussy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:06 AM

I don't think Roger was going for realism. He was performing a clean turn and shoot that was appropriate for what this is -- a stylized title graphic. More of an impression of Bond shooting than Bond actually shooting. It was more about hitting the mark with a good final image. They all do this to different degrees.

Quite.

It's not real, y'know.

That depends. According to my dad, who was a marksman in the military, Moore was the only Bond actor to hold his gun properly in a gun barrel sequence.

That's interesting. Is it just me, or does Moore seem to miss in both his gunbarrels (the one used in LALD and TMWTGG and the one for the other five films)? It seems in both cases like his turns, using the pose you're referring to here, fires, and then moves the gun to point the proper way, as if he missed earlier. That's always bothered me.

#105 dchantry

dchantry

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

I haven't been through all the resoponses for this, but I noted that people can't find Daltons hop skip and jump unused gunbarrel version.
If you search around for the trailers for Licence to kill, its on one of those.
I think its on the teaser trailer where he's looking at the watch where the digits turn into 007 at the end. Don't quote me though, its been a long time since I saw it, and I'm not sure of if its US or international teaser, but it's definately out there.

#106 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

The only place it's ever been legally available is on the British trailer for The Living Daylights.

#107 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

The only place it's ever been legally available is on the British trailer for The Living Daylights.

The UK (I'm guessing that's the same as the British one) trailer is on YouTube and it definitely doesn't seem to have a hop, skip, or a jump in it... I'm curious to see this now that I know about it and have seen a screenshot.

#108 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

I agree the version on CR main titles is quite different to original song but the titles and song doesn't move in synchrony.

I saw no problems with them. Sorry.

#109 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

I Like all of Moore's gunbarrels. But my favourite is TMWTGG, despite it not being my favourite movie, the Gunbarrel is sharp.

#110 scissorpuppy007

scissorpuppy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:57 PM

Dalton's original "jump" is the first gun barrel on the video. The poster added AVTAK's music.
Interesting, I don't know if it is the horrible and aged video transfer, but it seems like
they added a "flash" frame when he fires the gun.

Also, Brosnan filmed 3 Gun barrels. The first was shot early on with a different director (2nd unit maybe?) and was intended to be used, Other than some press pics released in 1995 for promotion the actual footage has never been seen. Campbell decided later he didn't like it and re-shot the sequence himself, along with the footage used for the teaser trailer walk. This 2nd version is what was used for all the Brosnan films (This is mentioned in the Goldeneye commentary track)

A 3rd was shot for Tomorrow Never Dies, it was used in one of the trailers. Not sure why they reshot the walk, but I remember reading in 1997 that the director Roger Spottiswoode wanted the film to feature a different version of the walk, and thought each film should have it's own from now on. The producers decided to keep the Goldeneye version and used the new version for thr trailer.

On his Die Another Day commentary track, Brosnan mentions wanting to shoot a "new" on (presumably) for the next film. Which as we all know didn't ever happen.

Edited by scissorpuppy007, 12 July 2011 - 06:07 PM.

#111 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

If you look at the very end of that "GoldenEye" gunbarrel, you see that, as Dalton shoots, it flashes to a different one -- so, there's three Dalton gunbarrels, then! :o

#112 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

If you look at the very end of that "GoldenEye" gunbarrel, you see that, as Dalton shoots, it flashes to a different one -- so, there's three Dalton gunbarrels, then! :o

I doubt that's a third gunbarrel; it seems like the video editor simply cut a fraction of a second of the video so that it would sync up with the sound of Bond firing his gun.

#113 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:11 PM

I doubt that's a third gunbarrel; it seems like the video editor simply cut a fraction of a second of the video so that it would sync up with the sound of Bond firing his gun.

No, look closely; the gunbarrel is stretched differently than either the "leaping" one or the one it cut from beforehand, and it's a somewhat shakier optical superimposition than the others (it resembles Roger Moore's first gunbarrels the most, to me)... and it appears that Dalton is already standing still, not walking, before he turns and fires.

It's from a different gunbarrel; my guess is it's from a promotional one meant for a trailer, like the gunbarrel trailer Roger Moore did for TSWLM -- presumably, Maurice Binder did all three, as well.

#114 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

Dalton's original "jump" is the first gun barrel on the video. The poster added AVTAK's music.
Interesting, I don't know if it is the horrible and aged video transfer, but it seems like
they added a "flash" frame when he fires the gun.

I transferred that from my film print a couple of years ago. So, it's not an aged video transfer, just a horrible one! The flash is just a flare-up in the camera lens. I don't know why the chap that did this edit squashed the image, though.

#115 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

I transferred that from my film print a couple of years ago. So, it's not an aged video transfer, just a horrible one! The flash is just a flare-up in the camera lens. I don't know why the chap that did this edit squashed the image, though.

If you've still got the film print, maybe you could do a digital transfer; there are programs out there that can dramatically improve the color and picture quality. :)

#116 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

Yeah, I might get it properly telecined one of these days. That one was just filmed off a sheet of white paper with a video camera.

Here's a slightly better-looking still from the same print: http://img59.imagesh...daltontldgb.jpg

#117 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:31 PM

Hmmmm... so, where did you get that gunbarrel from, anyhow? It was attached to the original U.K. trailer for TLD, right?

#118 scissorpuppy007

scissorpuppy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

Hmmmm... so, where did you get that gunbarrel from, anyhow? It was attached to the original U.K. trailer for TLD, right?

Most of the people I have talked to says it came from the workprint that leaked before the film was completed.
Not sure where he got his though.

No, look closely; the gunbarrel is stretched differently than either the "leaping" one or the one it cut from beforehand, and it's a somewhat shakier optical superimposition than the others (it resembles Roger Moore's first gunbarrels the most, to me)... and it appears that Dalton is already standing still, not walking, before he turns and fires.

It's from a different gunbarrel; my guess is it's from a promotional one meant for a trailer, like the gunbarrel trailer Roger Moore did for TSWLM -- presumably, Maurice Binder did all three, as well.

Very similer pose, but I think your onto something. Look at the left arm, in the film version it is closer to his body, in this version you can see more of the white background, more distance beween his arm and torso.

#119 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:18 PM

That's right. It's on a trailer they released when bootleg copies of the workprint were being sold.

#120 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:40 AM

Very similer pose, but I think your onto something. Look at the left arm, in the film version it is closer to his body, in this version you can see more of the white background, more distance beween his arm and torso.

It's a different gunbarrel, no question about it. If it were the original, why bother adding it to the video, and with different music?

It's the same pose that was finally used in the film, but it's a different (and, in my opinion, worse) take.