128 replies to this topic

#61 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

Interesting to see people really waste their time by interpreting the minutiae of a few silly seconds in a film. William Shatner´s comment to Trekkers still applies to everybody.

#62 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:02 AM

Interesting to see people really waste their time by interpreting the minutiae of a few silly seconds in a film. William Shatner´s comment to Trekkers still applies to everybody.

Well, this is a message board...

Edited by iBond, 06 June 2011 - 09:03 AM.

#63 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:30 AM

And it could be used for discussing more interesting things... But wait, it is.

#64 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

Interesting to see people really waste their time accusing other people of really wasting their time.

#65 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

...and this is a fun thread. Good work iBond.

#66 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

Interesting to see people really waste their time accusing other people of really wasting their time.

It doesn´t feel like a waste of time.

#67 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

Feelings can be misleading, but since you don't feel like you are wasting your time by accusing other forum members of wasting their time, and since you are here presumably not wasting your time, then why don't you share with us your favorite gunbarrel sequence? I'm sure it won't take up too much of your time. I'm guessing your either a Dalton, or Connery guy, but I maybe surprised. :)

Time will tell.

#68 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:16 AM

I´m afraid I don´t see enough of a difference between all of them.

#69 EyesOnly

EyesOnly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:04 AM

The forums at CBN sure aren't what they used to be. Quite a hostile environment its become.

#70 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:35 PM

Thanks.

#71 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

I admit I didn't even notice Moore had two different gun-barrels until I noticed this thread awhile ago.

#72 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:05 PM

Anyone remember that unused Dalton one where he literally jumped before shooting? I tend to agree with capsule that Rog was pretty good at these gun barrel capers.

I've never seen that Dalton clip, but it sounds like it was a bad idea.

#73 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the youtube gun barrel presentation. It puts things into perspective, Brosnan B) emerged as the winner in my books.

#74 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

The forums at CBN sure aren't what they used to be. Quite a hostile environment its become.

I can see that, and I just joined the site not that long ago.

#75 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:02 AM

Well this thread has been a bright spot.

Thanks for the youtube gun barrel presentation. It puts things into perspective, Brosnan B) emerged as the winner in my books.

His sequences do look sharp, but for me nothing can beat the "cowbell" gunbarrel sequence of For Your Eyes Only starring Sir Roger.

#76 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:03 PM

Brosnan does the best gun barrel, hands down!

#77 danjaq_0ff

danjaq_0ff

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:56 PM

By the by, Sir Roger Moore actually did three gunbarrels that the public viewed: One for the trailers (suit), one for his widescreen films (suit) and one for his Panavision films (tuxedo).
Whereas all the others only did one walk through for the gunbarrel that was officially released for their respective films.
(One cannot really count the leaping Dalton one on the rough print or the test ones of Sir Roger wearing a hat and another of him dropping his pants)

I have seen the dropping of the pants one, very funny indeed.

#78 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:47 AM

I agree completely. All of his gunbarrel's music sounds distinctly different yet with a hint of Bond theme familiarity. The clean rolling CGI barrel certainly adds some spark to the sequence. The 3D bullet in DAD was unnecessary though. He has the best walk, turn, and shoot of them all as well.

Many of the other actors sequences, the music was very...very similar. As for Moore specifically, his FYEO barrel stands out to me the most thanks to the theme used.

The CR sequence was fresh and cool. The QoS barrel was a complete disappointment and probably the worst in the series in my opinion.

#79 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:06 AM

I agree with most on here; Roger's is one of the best ones...
whats funny about your post tho is the subtitle 'Epic Fail";
That's one of those expressions that makes anyone using it sound 12 years old.
Not trying to be a dick but that phrase is so juvenile.

:tup: :tup:

#80 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:12 AM

Brosnan had the worst gunbarrel, hands down.

#81 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:13 AM

Epic Fail...

#82 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:17 AM

Epic Fail...

If iBond was referring to the gunbarrel itself, then yes, he has a valid argument for that. But if he was referring to Brosnan's "performance" in the sequence, then that, m'booeys, is the true epic fail.

#83 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

Well this thread has been a bright spot.

His sequences do look sharp, but for me nothing can beat the "cowbell" gunbarrel sequence of For Your Eyes Only starring Sir Roger.

"I got a fever... and the only prescription... is more COWBELL, baby!"

(I do acknowlege that this line only works because it is, in fact, Max Zorin that says it.)

#84 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

I don't think Roger was going for realism. He was performing a clean turn and shoot that was appropriate for what this is -- a stylized title graphic. More of an impression of Bond shooting than Bond actually shooting. It was more about hitting the mark with a good final image. They all do this to different degrees.

Quite.

It's not real, y'know.

That depends. According to my dad, who was a marksman in the military, Moore was the only Bond actor to hold his gun properly in a gun barrel sequence.

#85 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

I don't think Roger was going for realism. He was performing a clean turn and shoot that was appropriate for what this is -- a stylized title graphic. More of an impression of Bond shooting than Bond actually shooting. It was more about hitting the mark with a good final image. They all do this to different degrees.

Quite.

It's not real, y'know.

That depends. According to my dad, who was a marksman in the military, Moore was the only Bond actor to hold his gun properly in a gun barrel sequence.

Bloody good eyesight, your dad.

I can barely figure out what's going on.

Although I find this to be true of so many things, these days.

#86 Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

Both of Roger Moore's gun barrels were the best of the bunch. Why? Because he was the only one who held and aimed the gun properly. Which is ironic, considering his views on firearms.

I don't mind the first Moore gunbarrel, but he's so slow on the draw in the second it makes you grateful for his sake Scaramanga cheated during the beach dual.

It's about holding and aiming the gun properly, not being the fastest on the draw. You can be a fast draw and still be a lousy shot.

00's are not lousy shots. And, who's to say what Sir Rog is aiming at off camera?
But, given his well known views on firearms, I'm surprised he didn't use a throwing knife instead. :D

#87 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:39 PM

The banter in CR limousine sequence (Montenegro) was a new glimpse of how DC should take Bond.

And it's a proof that CR doesn't lacks humour, it's just QOS the one that lacks in that field. I hate with some people tend to see CR and QOS as if these movies had so much in common, to talk about things that could distinguish this so called era- a similar thing happens sometimes with TLD and LTK-. Actually, I think that the only movies that really have a lot in common are the Brosnan movies, just because they usually work as a "gretest hits" hollywood style version of Bond (yes including GE, flick that I have never seen as way too different than the other three).

#88 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:51 PM

The Brosnan Era was very successful. The films' box office receipts and home video sales were near the top of the earnings list for each year they were released. More importantly, Brosnan's film performances garnered high net revenues. Brosnan reinvigorated the franchise after the Dalton Era and a six year hiatus. EON should have rewarded Brosnan by given him $20 million and percentage of the profits for a fifth Bond film.

IMO, it was CR the movie that brought back to life the classic (sixties) era of the EON series. And while I'm not so sure about how to see QOS in that context, I do see the Brosnan movies as a failed and mediocre intent to the same- without taking any risk- following a comic book hollywood style approach.

#89 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:28 AM

Epic Fail...

Too true. I like how he explains himself in his post. It's the classic sign of someone who doesn't have a valid argument.

Brosnan walks w/ a determined, cool, and confident swagger. He turns fast and shoots straight up. It doesn't get cooler than that.

#90 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:33 PM

The Brosnan Era was very successful. The films' box office receipts and home video sales were near the top of the earnings list for each year they were released. More importantly, Brosnan's film performances garnered high net revenues. Brosnan reinvigorated the franchise after the Dalton Era and a six year hiatus. EON should have rewarded Brosnan by given him $20 million and percentage of the profits for a fifth Bond film.

IMO, it was CR the movie that brought back to life the classic (sixties) era of the EON series. And while I'm not so sure about how to see QOS in that context, I do see the Brosnan movies as a failed and mediocre intent to the same- without taking any risk- following a comic book hollywood style approach.

I was making an economic point about the Brosnan era. I wasn't making a case for the era's creative merits.

However, since you bring it up, I will state that the premises developed for each of the Brosnan films are better that the ones developed for the Craig era. That's my subjective opinion on the matter.

I will also add that each of the Brosnan films had great and fun ideas, but they could have been executed more effectively. However, that can't be blamed on Brosnan.