Daniel Craig is back as Bond...in drag?

303 replies to this topic

#271 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Location:A hollowed-out volcano, a submarine, and a moon base.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

PS-- Since the clip was about the treatment of women, I feel the discussion of how a woman is addressed is not off topic. I refer to myself as a chick, and I call guys dudes. It's an affectionate way of calling a man masculine. As for chick, I believe it may have derived from the English referring to women as birds. Adorable is you ask me. Birds are beautiful. Swans are elegant, I've been called Dove before, chicks are fluffy and cute....etc. Yes, I am a chick, thank you.
Why the big hoopla ? As Dustin and others pointed out, the actual mistreatment of women can be seen in hospital ERs and other real, not farfetched, instances.

How are they mistreated in these places? I shadow in an ER about 20 hours a week, and haven't seen the mistreatment of women.

#272 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

Judy Denches voice over: Are we equal ?

Of course the answer is no.

But WTF did Craig's wearing a dress contribute to the statement ?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Someone said Annie Lennox had something to do with this clip, is that true ? Cause that would explain alot. :rolleyes:

I think the PSA would of had a much greater impact if Craig was shown doing some generic, not Bond of course, action scene, stops midway, looks into the camera, and then states the lines Dench was saying.
More tasteful and dignified. Dench sounded like she was treating Craig like a little boy who needed scolding. Doing to his gender what she's accusing his gender of doing to her's.

Even though the facts she was stating stood on their own, the message lost it's integrity due to the double standard.

well said.

#273 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

Jim, that is rather disgusting. Was the post that I took the above quote from directed towards everyone who is against the Craig era

"Awesome: a force to be reckoned with:Yay Jim" Shocking, if this is what Eon deems proper behavior for a moderator here.

You'd do well to look up the word "ejaculate" as well. Happens a lot in the James Bond books, this being a website about James Bond; y'know, that thing.

Whilst it's pleasant to have a few folks over from danielcraigisnotbond, very welcome and I can well understand that ceaseless redundant negativity may pall and you may want an outlet to say nice things about your interest, for the record we have no relationship with Eon Productions - so feel free to say the nice things.

As long as they're not rather disgusting.

Referring to people's opinions as "ejaculate" is a negative thing to do, and making comments like that negate your efforts to encourage positive discourse.

#274 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:27 PM

David-that flat out insult at the end of your last post means that I now have the freedom to choose to justify myself against you. And I choose not to.

#275 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

David-that flat out insult at the end of your last post means that I now have the freedom to choose to justify myself against you. And I choose not to.

Nonsensically merely confirming your ignorance.

#276 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

David: the bullet points are my responses to you, along with the scenario which will never happen above them.

You don't you understand - I didn't make the damn criticism of you in the first place!!! As I've pointed out in post #279, the points you are having a go at weren't made by me!

You do follow what I'm trying to explain, don't you?????? I didn't make the jibes about you! It wasn't me. Please, reread post #279 and comprehend my explanation.

Or do I add to your issues an inability to understand????

If I may - David, this last question can definitely be misunderstood by Elizabeth. But Elizabeth, I think that David didn´t mean to really insult you. He seems to be merely frustrated because you thought that he was responsible for an earlier insult that he actually did not make.

So... let´s be adults here again, okay? And let´s not be provoked by the usual suspects here.

#277 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

David: the bullet points are my responses to you, along with the scenario which will never happen above them.

You don't you understand - I didn't make the damn criticism of you in the first place!!! As I've pointed out in post #279, the points you are having a go at weren't made by me!

You do follow what I'm trying to explain, don't you?????? I didn't make the jibes about you! It wasn't me. Please, reread post #279 and comprehend my explanation.

Or do I add to your issues an inability to understand????

If I may - David, this last question can definitely be misunderstood by Elizabeth. But Elizabeth, I think that David didn´t mean to really insult you. He seems to be merely frustrated because you thought that he was responsible for an earlier insult that he actually did not make.

SAF, I appreciate your intentions (though I cannot agree that there is anything controversial in my last question; it is merely a statement born out of frustration at elizabeth's inability to comprehend my point despite having attempted to clarify it in TWO posts).

As you say I am simply trying to make the lady concerned understand I wasn't responsible for the earlier perceived insult.

#278 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

Michael: You're a lost cause.

And I'm glad for that. I'm an individual...a person..a human being...not a "cause" that needs changing or straightening out.

Oh, honey...I just...I just can't help but pity you...I really don't know why. :S

David - Forgive me if I'm just too lazy to look. I'm trying to take it easy, as this week and most of today has been very stressful for me.

#279 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:57 AM

Jim, that is rather disgusting. Was the post that I took the above quote from directed towards everyone who is against the Craig era

"Awesome: a force to be reckoned with:Yay Jim" Shocking, if this is what Eon deems proper behavior for a moderator here.

You'd do well to look up the word "ejaculate" as well. Happens a lot in the James Bond books, this being a website about James Bond; y'know, that thing.

Whilst it's pleasant to have a few folks over from danielcraigisnotbond, very welcome and I can well understand that ceaseless redundant negativity may pall and you may want an outlet to say nice things about your interest, for the record we have no relationship with Eon Productions - so feel free to say the nice things.

As long as they're not rather disgusting.

Referring to people's opinions as "ejaculate" is a negative thing to do, and making comments like that negate your efforts to encourage positive discourse.

You referring to him referring to other's opinions as ejaculate is also a negative thing to do. Who said Jim wanted to encourage positive discourse? ;)

#280 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:24 AM

PS-- Since the clip was about the treatment of women, I feel the discussion of how a woman is addressed is not off topic. I refer to myself as a chick, and I call guys dudes. It's an affectionate way of calling a man masculine. As for chick, I believe it may have derived from the English referring to women as birds. Adorable is you ask me. Birds are beautiful. Swans are elegant, I've been called Dove before, chicks are fluffy and cute....etc. Yes, I am a chick, thank you.
Why the big hoopla ? As Dustin and others pointed out, the actual mistreatment of women can be seen in hospital ERs and other real, not farfetched, instances.

How are they mistreated in these places? I shadow in an ER about 20 hours a week, and haven't seen the mistreatment of women.

I wasn't referring to the women on staff at these ERs, but, like the PSA stated, the women who end up in the ER due to domestic violence on the part of their husband or boyfriend.

What about men who are victims of domestic violence?

#281 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

Condescending as ever. Also, you still think you´re extremely funny.

#282 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

animosity anyone?

#283 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:18 AM

Despite what some people will tell you, I have no interest in starting fights.

Then why'd you start one?

#284 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

This is the same person who, a day or two ago, said: "So...let´s be adults here again, okay? And let´s not be provoked by the usual suspects here." And yet he/she is not taking the advice he/she gave out to others.

You´re absolutely right, I couldn´t resist being provoked by the usual suspects, i.e you, again. You´re just so good at it.

It's easy to preach diversity when you have no skin in the game because everyone around you believes the same as you; it's much more challenging to hear speech one doesn't agree with

With this part I absolutely agree.

and this thread exposes many of the self-proclaimed "tolerant" as nothing more than intolerant, narrow-minded, and ideologically driven bullies. They'll also turn away when they see friends or people they agree with calling others that they don't like "psychotic", 'needing to get a life', "nut job", etc...but they'll be the first ones to condescendingly speak for the need of civility and pat themselves on the back for doing it.

Well, on this point I strongly feel that you either knowingly or unknowingly disregard what you are constantly doing on threads like these. You employ offensive language, bully people around if they disagree with you... and then turn around and accuse them of all that which you actually do to them.

Most of these types of people are also behind Daniel Craig's PSA, which is just another reason why I have no respect for it.

And here we are again. Your dislike of the ad is not the problem. It is your fondness for antagonizing. This attitude of Either you are with me or you are against me is just not productive on a message board and certainly does not help your argument that you are only interested in a healthy debate. IMO you are mainly interested in stirring up conflicts.

#285 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

I wouldn't put any more energy into this excuse for a discussion. All the relevant points have been mentioned, although perhaps not by all concerned as yet, all the "passionate discourse" has been used up pages ago and for some time now it seems to be a very one-sided love affair. Each to their own and all that, but I fail to see how one could add to that particular line of self-enjoyment, which already has seen numerous peaks now. Surely that could not be pushed much further without severe damage to eyesight?

#286 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

There's probably not much more that can be said about the subject matter of whatever it was. A man wore a dress and it may or may not be significant or helpful to those it purports to help or the bit of entertainment it relies on. Hey ho.

Thread remains open, no-one gets banned or put on moderation, but it may be kinder for all if we just let it go. If anyone wants to win, then I am happy to have each view considered the winning one. Well done.

#287 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:03 AM

Look, maybe it's a cultural thing. Maybe Germans and Europeans have a vastly different idea of what is conflict versus what is debate from that of Americans. I can accept that. However, I think you give me way, way, way too much credit when you state that I'm "mainly interested in stirring up conflicts". I'm nowhere near clever nor smart enough to be trying to stir up trouble.

Hmmm... I wonder if you've stumbled across something here. *scratches head*
I like to debate as well. And I've also been accused of being confrontational. And it's been 90% of the time from someone who is either European or Canadian. Maybe it is a cultural thing...

B)

It´s not. I know many Americans who can debate without trying to overpower.

But Jim was right. Sorry for stirring the pot again.

#288 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:57 AM

I´m not saying there are NO cultural differences which influence debating habits. I´m only saying that in this particular case it´s not about GS´ southern temperament but about the way he wrote his comments.

But that´s just my opinion and I don´t want to start anything again. Wasn´t this thread about the ad? And isn´t that one in our internet age already so last week?

#289 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:22 AM

Tempting though it may be to indulge in some mutual mass debating about how seriously misunderstood one is and it's other people's fault if they don't appreciate my wholesomeness and general all-round superduperdom, it's

Not

The

Point

Of

The

Thread.

Accordingly, startlingly fresh insight into this event, or let it lie please. That this thread has turned the way it has tends to suggest all probable views, genuinely held or not, are exhausted.

#290 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:42 AM

I prefer people to exercise some self-discipline rather than expecting someone else to do it for them. Thread remains open.

#291 BJMDDS

BJMDDS

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

Elizabeth, who is SL you want for Bond?

#292 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

Condescension is: "Oh, honey...I just...I just can't help but pity you...I really don't know why." THAT is condescension

No, it's "I've reached my wit's end with this guy because he is being such a stubborn little [censored]."

Elizabeth, who is SL you want for Bond?

I'll PM you after Lent. I can't talk about him right now.

Gravy, don't you DARE drag my mother into this.

Also, if you can't tell the difference between a question of concern and a condescending question (synonyms because I know you're a bit (really?) foggy on the meaning of "condescending": a question that starts fights), you are a [censored]ing idiot.

I am really tempted to call you the r word, but as I am a person with disabilities and wholly reject use of the word, I won't. But let me tell you, you really deserve it.

#293 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:00 PM

I think certain members need a banhammer applied; the conduct on here by these certain, regardless of how long they've been on these boards, has been outrageous.

Admins, please do the right thing.

#294 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

No; as stated, preference is to rely on the discretion and grace of members not to indulge themselves in such things and to stick to the point at hand, and let things die naturally rather than by assisted suicide.

Since stating to the effect earlier this morning, things have not improved; however, on balance still better to leave this open.

The other advantage of leaving it open is that one can readily see troublemakers by their own actions. It would be preferable if they considered for a moment how they appear and let them police themselves.

This can also be interpreted as not wishing to give wind-up merchants the satisfaction of bleating about how their "legitimate" opinions have been suppressed.

My recommendation is not to respond - it is the oxygen of a response that has such persons thrive. And the oxygen of oxygen but regrettably we can do little about stemming that, more's the pity.

No new views on the subject matter of the thread, I note.

#295 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

No new views on the subject matter of the thread, I note.

Oh, I have views, but expressing them would put me at risk of being labeled a "sexist retard."

#296 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:31 AM

Man, do we need actual BOND 23 news...

#297 J B

J B

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:31 AM

:o

Without trying to offend anybody who may disagree with my viewpoint, something about this doesn't set right with me.

I'm very surprised, to say the least. I suppose it made a point toward a cause, understandably enough.

Edited by J B, 28 April 2011 - 05:35 AM.

#298 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:39 AM

I think Eddie Izzard is pretty awesome in drag. Also, Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis.

#299 Davy

Davy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:09 PM

I thought the ad was great - the juxtaposition of using the most misogynistic hero character in the film world to promote women's day really makes it.

#300 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:27 PM

I think Eddie Izzard is pretty awesome in drag. Also, Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis.

And Barry Humphries.