Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

It has it all
Craig
Dench
the sharp suits
...and a dress.
http://www.weareequals.org/

Very strange
But how cool is it to see hear M and see Bond, Daniel looks more than ready for Bond 23, minus the dress

#2 Iroquois

Iroquois

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

Haha, well that was unexpected!

#3 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:28 PM

Weird!
Two things came to my mind:
- it's interesting to see the image of 007, usually seen as an icon of male chauvinism, used to promote gender equality
- Daniel Craig looks surprisingly good as a woman! Honestly, I would have thought that with his build he wouldn't be quite sexy in a dress, but... :|

#4 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:06 PM

You beat me to it! Was just about to post this. A good use of the 007 image (and yes, Dan can even rock a frock!)

#5 dunda

dunda

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

Smart move: using the ultimate male icon James Bond (and the epitome of masculinity called Daniel Craig) is an excellent idea! Kudos to all people involved.
As for Daniel being a sexy woman, I don't know. LOL I miss a waist.

#6 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

This is utterly ridiculous and a misuse of the Bond-Trademark.

I respect the discussion about gender equality. But it quickly becomes absurd when they use fantasy figures like Bond to make a point. Bond's masculinity is not the only clash between his world and our society. After all, he kills people, too.

#7 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

Well this good to see Daniel Back as Bond(minus the woman cloths). I going to take this as a promo for BOND 23, But only up to the beginning half of the video.

#8 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:07 PM

I find Bond dressing in drag quite disturbing. Thank god that craignotbond.com website has lost all its popularity becasue this would just be fuel for them.

#9 Iroquois

Iroquois

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:27 PM

Thank god that craignotbond.com website has lost all its popularity becasue this would just be fuel for them.

I did think that when I watched this. It is quite a bizarre video, especially since we rarely see the Bond actor's in the role outside of the movies, but it's not like this is happening in the Bond canon at all...unless Bond shot up an embassy again :cooltongue:

But either way it's good for them to do this, not only does it spread a good message, but it reminds people that Bond is just a fictional character and there is a difference between his world and ours. It should also hush those who criticise Bond's treatment of women in the films as a bad influence, while simultaneously deterring those few people who do in fact take Bond's attitude towards women out of context by pretentiously emulating it in order to look 'cool'. All in all in paves the way for Bond to keep doing what he's doing without the PC brigade on his back all the time.

#10 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:28 PM

This is utterly ridiculous and a misuse of the Bond-Trademark.

I respect the discussion about gender equality. But it quickly becomes absurd when they use fantasy figures like Bond to make a point. Bond's masculinity is not the only clash between his world and our society. After all, he kills people, too.

I don't think it misuses anything to do with Bond and I see nothing absurd getting high profile actors to get some rather shocking statistics in the public domain. I also don't think it's about Bond's masculinity - just the fact Craig is known for playing a masculine part and that he's not afraid to play against this for a worthwhile cause.

#11 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

I think it should have ended with Craig, dressed in drag, looking at the camera and saying...
"this never happened to the other fellas"

#12 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

Whether this is a worthwhile cause depends on one's own politics. It's worth bearing in mind that this is the brainchild of Annie Lennox - a well known left wing political activist who has strident feminist beliefs which include affirmative action. I'm becoming increasingly worried about how many charities in the UK who have access to public money seem to have a political slant. They could be construed as pressure groups masquerading as such.

Most of us would agree with equality but you have to define equality in the first place and you would find many different opinions as to what equality actually is. The film presented statistics and made assumptions about them that could be challenged from a different political perspective.

I deplore the use of the Bond image in this political promotion and in any political context. It makes me worry about who's in charge of the image and the future for Bond generally.

#13 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

It makes me worry about who's in charge of the image and the future for Bond generally.

It's someone called Barbara Broccoli.

#14 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

Good on him, it's about time Women were treated as equals. My partner doesn't get paid anywhere near what a man would get paid to do her job.

#15 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

Somehow, I knew there'd be the inevitable detractors, completely missing the point... :rolleyes:

(Could never see Pierce doing this, even though his Bond would fit a blouse all too well; nice to know Dan's got a good sense of himself. ;))

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

I'd hit that.

#17 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

I'd hit that.

:tup:

#18 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

Seems to make its point.

#19 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:15 PM

Whether this is a worthwhile cause depends on one's own politics. It's worth bearing in mind that this is the brainchild of Annie Lennox - a well known left wing political activist who has strident feminist beliefs which include affirmative action. I'm becoming increasingly worried about how many charities in the UK who have access to public money seem to have a political slant. They could be construed as pressure groups masquerading as such.

Most of us would agree with equality but you have to define equality in the first place and you would find many different opinions as to what equality actually is. The film presented statistics and made assumptions about them that could be challenged from a different political perspective.

I deplore the use of the Bond image in this political promotion and in any political context. It makes me worry about who's in charge of the image and the future for Bond generally.

But does this matter if there is a political slant or what exactly is meant by equality. Surely on issues like domestic violence anything that raises public conscience about it is all for the good. On the subject of the Bond image there is a long (legal) history of those concerned with the screen 007 protecting their product very well indeed.

#20 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

But does this matter if there is a political slant or what exactly is meant by equality. Surely on issues like domestic violence anything that raises public conscience about it is all for the good. On the subject of the Bond image there is a long (legal) history of those concerned with the screen 007 protecting their product very well indeed.

Quite. If this sort of thing brings out and exposes considerably more serious things, then good for it.

#21 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

Somehow, I knew there'd be the inevitable detractors, completely missing the point... :rolleyes:

Who is missing the point? Are you denying there are political aspects to the promotion?

My point is not about the right and wrongs of the message, but about its political nature. Personally, there is much in it that I would support, especially in its stand against violence towards women. However I find some of its use of UK statistics deliberately biased and simplistic.

For those of you chuffed to see Bond used in conjunction with this, I would say next time Ms Broccoli uses Bond in a campaign that you don't support you might be less pleased.

Keep the Bond image out of politics!

#22 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

sort of on topic, I heard a radio show several months ago where they were looking at a study on men v/s women in the workplace (I think the study was of US workers). The study showed if you took a single man with no children and a single woman with no children, both the same age doing the same job, the women tend to make a bit more money. It is when children come into play where the salaries tend to favor the men. The study also suggested that the statistics that show men making more money are because there are more men at executive levels than there are women. The reason they suggested that more men are at executive levels is because women, as a general rule are less likely to sacrifice family life for a top position than a man is.

#23 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:25 PM

Quite. If this sort of thing brings out and exposes considerably more serious things, then good for it.

I fully support the promos stand against domestic violence. I don't see this particular stand as political. However that doesn't mean that any other political views expressed in the promo have to be automatically accepted.

Edited by Bond Bombshell, 07 March 2011 - 08:32 PM.

#24 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

My point is not about the right and wrongs of the message, but about its political nature. Personally, there is much in it that I would support, especially in its stand against violence towards women. However I find some of its use of UK statistics deliberately biased and simplistic.

For those of you chuffed to see Bond used in conjunction with this, I would say next time Ms Broccoli uses Bond in a campaign that you don't support you might be less pleased.

Keep the Bond image out of politics!

I'm not chuffed about the small use of the Bond image here, I just don't have a problem with it because on the face of things the video seems to be about promoting debate and doing good. Furthermore the 007 image is scant - there is no gun, 007 logo or Bond theme to be found here.

#25 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:40 PM

I fully support the promos stand against domestic violence. I don't see this particular stand as political. However that doesn't mean that any other political views expressed in the promo have to be automatically accepted.

You're right, it doesn't. Strikes me as it just trying to raise awareness for one's own evaluation and information, alongside the other information one reads or hears on such things, rather than insisting one automatically accepts what it espouses. People suspecting that to be happening are doing their own critical faculties an injustice*. For others, it's all part of the tapestry.

*perhaps.

#26 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

sort of on topic, I heard a radio show several months ago where they were looking at a study on men v/s women in the workplace (I think the study was of US workers). The study showed if you took a single man with no children and a single woman with no children, both the same age doing the same job, the women tend to make a bit more money. It is when children come into play where the salaries tend to favor the men. The study also suggested that the statistics that show men making more money are because there are more men at executive levels than there are women. The reason they suggested that more men are at executive levels is because women, as a general rule are less likely to sacrifice family life for a top position than a man is.

This is a good example of why I was troubled by some aspects of the promo and found its use of statistics and definition of inequality too simplistic. There has been much debate about the wage gap in the UK, but the Annie Lennox's of this world are not interested in the different motivations and interests of men and women.

Women generaly choose to work less hours over the length of a career. They are much more likely to be part-time, take time off to raise children, and retire earlier than men. The careers they are attracted to are often different to the careers that men are attracted to. Generally women are more attracted to public service jobs than men and these jobs can be less well paid such as teaching.

When Annie Lennox trots out her statistics she's not interested in these differences. Equal treatment can easily become special treatment from another perspective and Lennox's version of equality differs significantly from mine.

#27 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:01 PM

I gotta applaud Daniel Craig and Judi Dench for participating in this.. it works well for me in putting things in the proper perspective.. Had this been Roger Moore's 007 filming this I'm not so sure that would have been as effective.. :P

#28 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

You're right, it doesn't. Strikes me as it just trying to raise awareness for one's own evaluation and information, alongside the other information one reads or hears on such things, rather than insisting one automatically accepts what it espouses. People suspecting that to be happening are doing their own critical faculties an injustice*. For others, it's all part of the tapestry.

*perhaps.

Don't agree at all. The promo may ask "are we equal" but clearly takes the view "we" are not. This is Annie Lennox with her history of activism we are talking about. This is not just about awareness but influencing opinion, some of which I agree with and some I don't, but that's irrelevant. The point is the material is political. Some of it sounds like it was penned by Harriet Harman.

#29 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

*perhaps.

Don't agree at all. The promo may ask "are we equal" but clearly takes the view "we" are not. This is Annie Lennox with her history of activism we are talking about. This is not just about awareness but influencing opinion, some of which I agree with and some I don't, but that's irrelevant. The point is the material is political. Some of it sounds like it was penned by Harriet Harman.

I'm afraid I have no preconceived view of this Annie Lennox person to influence my view of this short film. Perhaps that's my loss.

Some of it sounds like it was penned by Harriet Harman.

What you said about not wanting Bond to be tainted with politics is also a desire of this website.

#30 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:24 PM

What you said about not wanting Bond to be tainted with politics is also a desire of this website.

:tup: